mediumfan

Patricia Arquette thread

It probably is true that there was some divine help in her getting that part. She does seem like she belongs in that role, like she was born to play that part. I guess it's true what they say, that good things come to those who wait. It certainly paid off for her.

Mediumfan

I truly believe that; years from now people will appreciate it I guess.

Going back to The Secret Agent, I saw that film several years ago, because Christian Bale was in it - so, you know, so I *had* to rent it, and wow, was it bleak!! :o

I thought everyone did an amazing job, acting-wise, especially Christian, and I really did feel for Patricia's character, and the things she went through, and like you said Mediumfan, she was of a certain time and place and was expected to behave in a certain way.

Jen

It's true, Jen. It is a very dark and disturbing movie. Like I said, I can't watch it too often because it is very bleak. Though it is beautiful. The way the explosion scenes were shown in flashback, so that you never really knew what happened at the park, were brilliant. And the events were left to unfold in a non-linear fashion that left you trying to piece the clues together yourself, and I was never really able to put it together until the inspector showed up at the shop to question Winnie and he had the scrap of cloth. That's when the horror of what had happened really hit home, and then the aftermath, as the explosion itself is detailed in bits and pieces, is just as horrifying.

One of the best scenes, and one of the eeriest, was on the boat, when Winnie is sitting on the bench staring at the water, and she takes her ring off and walks off-camera, then the camera does a slow pan around the deck and returns to the empty bench and the ring lying there. That is a beautiful scene, and part of what makes it so creepy, is that there is no sound, no splash or scream, or anything to tell you what has happened. Just silence, and the sight of the empty deck to tell you that she jumped. That was one of those sad, haunting scenes that stays with you long after you've watched it.

And the final scene with Robin Williams in the crowded street, when he squeezes the trigger and the screen goes black and silent. That's why I said that this movie is like The Mist in the way that it's ending is disturbing and stays with you.

I loved Christian Bale as Stevie. His performance was sweet and innocent and beautiful. But the one that I didn't like was Eddie Izzard as the Russian consulate (I guess that's what he was). Not only was he snarky and sleazy, and forced Verloc to commit such an atrocious act, but the performance of Izzard was weak, at best. I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be British or French or Russian, because he kept slipping in and out of his accent, and it changed a few times. That was the only performance that I really didn't like about the movie. Even Robin Williams was surprisingly chilling as the explosives dealer. He was seriously creepy, which shocked me coming from Robin Williams. Bob Hoskins was great as Verloc, and Patricia did a great job as Winnie.

But here's a question that's probably going to sound dumb, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Of all of the events that transpired in the movie, do you think that there is one event that pushed Winnie over the edge and drove her to suicide? Or was it a culmination of events? I wondered if she felt remorse for killing her husband, or fear of being caught, or was it grief over her brother's death and the horror of what her husband had done? Did she blame herself for his death because she had married Verloc so that he could take care of them? Or was it because Ossipon had stolen her money and she was left alone and destitute and on the run? Was it one of these, or a combination of all of them that drove her to suicide? Because I keep thinking about her poor mother, who had already lost her son, and had now lost her daughter too. Was Winnie's grief, or guilt, or despair, that great that she totally forgot about her mother, and what it would do to her?

Mediumfan

7a97.jpg

Patricia Arquette is celebrating her 40th birthday today, so I just wanted to wish her a very Happy Birthday, and all the best!

Hope you're having a great one, Patricia, and Thomas is treating you right.

All the best.

Mediumfan

This article about dreams mentions Patricia and Medium:

7 Lessons about Dreaming into the Future

That guy sounds like a crackpot. Nothing that he said has any basis in fact to it. It's all generic and speculative. But he is smart enough to keep it just vague enough that it can't be proved or disproved.

I guess it's a good thing that Patricia is often (very) mentioned in articles like this because of the character she plays, and in that sense, it's free publicity. I can see why they would use Patricia as a reference in the article, because she is so recognizable, and it lends some credibility to their stories. But most of these people strike me as frauds who are just looking for attention and their fifteen minutes of fame.

I absolutely love Patricia's show, and I do believe in these people to a degree, but I am still largely a skeptic when it comes to these types of people.

mediumfan

I am always fascinated by people who associate themselves with Patricia and the show overall. This article I found interesting to read. Don't know the guy, but I rarely find articles about dreams that mention Patricia and like you said, it is free publicity.

I've actually seen quite a few articles about people like this who latch onto Patricia's name and the show to lend themselves credibility. I've seen a lot of bloggers who go on rants about psychics and mediums, and will use Patricia or the show as an example. Frankly, it's very tiresome, because if they had any credibility at all, they wouldn't need to use either of them to represent themselves.

But like you said, in a way, it's good publicity for Patricia, as long as the crackpots don't start confusing her with her character.

Mediumfan

Here's another article that I really enjoyed about the fifteenth anniversary of True Romance.

In this month's issue of Maxim magazine, almost all of the stars of this movie are gathered to talk about the movie, and the making of it, and how it impacted their lives and careers. There's some great behind the scenes secrets, like how director Tony Scott would help Patricia get into a scene emotionally. He would slap her! Though to be fair, she would ask him to. She even named his right hand "The Persuader"!

Lots more stuff from Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, and Tom Sizemore, among others. But no Brad Pitt or Val Kilmer.

http://www.maxim.com/Trueromance15yearslat...es/1/24494.aspx

Another interesting thing is that at the end of the article, they did a "Where are they now?" and it's interesting to see where some of their careers went after this movie.

Tarantino went on to become an idie-film icon, writing, directing and producing such films as Pulp Fiction, Kil Bill 1 & 2, and Jackie Brown.

Tony Scott made Top Gun, as well as True Romance, and is currently directing a remake of The Taking of Pelham 123.

Christian Slater endured a string of legal troubles in the 90's that stalled his career, but has reportedly been signed to a new series on NBC for the Fall 2008-09 season, called My Own Worst Enemy.

Val Kilmer has played a string of pop culture icons besides Elvis, such as Jim Morrison, Batman, and John Holmes. Next season, he will be the voice of KITT in the new series remake of Knight Rider.

Gary Oldman has made a career out of playing crazed miscreants in films such as Air Force One, and Hannibal, but has settled into "good guy" roles such as Batman Begins.

Dennis Hopper didn't need this film to give him indie cred. He already had it with films like Easy Rider, but if there was any doubt of his credibility, this film cemented it. Now he can be seen in television spots for Ameriprise.

Christopher Walken has made a career out of smaller appearances, with very few notable big screen roles since his legendary performance in True Romance.

Bronson Pinchot has been seen mostly in supporting roles with no breakout role for him. Appeared on Surreal Life (which coincidentally, also featured Patricia's sister, Alexis Arquette).

Tom Sizemore appeared in Heat and Saving Private Ryan, but legal problems have plagued him. Spent time in jail and is currently free.

Brad Pitt - 'Nuff said.

What I find fascinating is that, even with all the star power in this movie, and the incredible names attached to it, with the exception of Brad Pitt and Patricia, none of the actors have gone on to any major success. And while Brad has become a sex symbol around the world, and has proven to be a major box office draw, only Patricia has had any notable, critical success, and that was only after she made the move to television. With a rare and nearly unprecedented Emmy win in her first season on television, and multiple subsequent nominations, including Golden Globes, SAGs, Saturns, Satellites, and another Emmy nomination, she has finally achieved the kind of acclaim that she should have had years ago. JMO.

Mediumfan

Nice breakdown; some of these people went on to win Oscars and have been Oscar nominated. Hopper is Hollywood royalty from way back in the day. Pinchot had television success with Perfect Strangers; doubtful he will get that glory back again, but never say never. Sizemore is so talented, if he just managed to get his personal life in order, because I really do enjoy his work.

Did any of them actually win Oscars after True Romance? Some of them were probably nominated, but I don't recall what for.

The article didn't mention if any of them had had that kind of notable success. Pinchot was in Perfect Strangers before True Romance, and that was no doubt the pinnacle of his career. I loved Sizemore in True Romance, and he was great in Saving Private Ryan. Like you said, if he could straighten out his personal life, he could have a good career.

Kilmer has struggled with roles lately, and his job on Knight Rider could likely signal the downward turn of his career.

Even so, the cast list of this film reads like a who's-who of Hollywood. And to think the film only made about $12M in its initial box office release, and was slammed by critics, and even by Senator Bob Dole in Congress, who vilified its violence and glamourization of the drug culture, and even singled out Patricia and called her "disgusting". Yet the film is widely hailed as a modern classic, which revived Christian Slater's lagging career and is unanimously considered Patricia's starmaking performance. She had done several movies before that, and many since, but this one is the one that made her famous and that she is most famously known for. (Aside from Medium, that is :D )

I think TR was 1993, right? And Pulp Fiction was the next year, so yeah QT got the Oscar after TR. Walken got the nod for The Deer Hunter in late 70's. Kilmer was in The Doors two years before TR and that same year as TR, he got praise for Tombstone. So I think some of these people enjoyed even bigger success after TR.

Yeah, some of them did. Some of them, like Slater and Kilmer and Sizemore, had brief flirtations with huge successes, but most found themselves on the roller coaster that is Hollywood, where you're only as hot as your last project.

Patricia could have really had a phenomenal career after this movie came out, because she really got a LOT of widespread critical acclaim, and was hailed as the next big thing. And if she had chosen to, she could have had a career like Julia Roberts, or gone on to be another Meg Ryan, or even had the kind of success that Brad Pitt has had. But she chose a different path, and chose to focus on movies and materials that meant something to her, as opposed to making huge blockbuster movies and becoming a worldwide celebrity. She is one of those rare actors who is an actor's actor, who is truly in it for the love of the game. She has never cared about making millions of dollars (at least that's how it seems to me), but rather making good films (mostly). She has had a few successes along the way, and a few flops, but largely, her career has been of her own making and on her own terms, and she hasn't let herself get caught up in the wheels of that Hollywood machine like a lot of the other actors who were in this movie.

Yeah, Tarantino has seen his star rise since True Romance, first with Reservoir Dogs, then Pulp Fiction, and Kill Bill. And I was mostly referring to their careers after True Romance, as the article was talking about where they are now.

So yeah, Kilmer did get some acclaim for Tombstone, but not much other than that. His star was already showing signs of dimming by the time TR came out. Walken got the Oscar nod before TR, but what has he done since?

Hopper is Hopper. His status was already cemented before TR, so anything he does now is icing on the cake. Gandolfini went on to big success in television with The Sopranos, as did Patricia with Medium.

I'm curious about that now. I'll have to look into that.

Since Tiara kind of mentioned it in the last post, here's some more info about Patricia's recent charity work.

She has designed a Swarovski decorated yoga bag to be auctioned in support of the Libby Ross Foundation's OM Yoga program, which supports women who have survived, or are battling breast cancer, and their families, and encourages healthy living as a means of fighting the disease. The bag that she designed is beautiful and is listed on ebay.

She is also one of 150 celebrities and notables who have offered hand-drawn doodles in support of National Doodle Day (I've never heard of it either) to be auctioned to raise money for Neurofibromatosis Inc, which fights this terrible disease. These are also listed on ebay. Here's a link to Patricia's doodle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ME:B:SS:US:1123

It's really pretty, and kinda cool. And it's for a great cause.

Also, Patricia has also volunteered for one of her favorite things, the Community Charter Magnet School, which is a small school that focuses on arts in education, and has offered a chance for walk-on role on her show, Medium, to be auctioned to raise money for the school. This isn't the only school that Patricia has helped to raise money for. Recently, she offered a Medium dvd set signed by the entire cast to be auctioned for another school.

She just amazes me with all the great things that she does. It's a wonder that she actually has time to work.

Just thought I'd share this, and let you all know what a special person she is.

Mediumfan

Jewelry Designs Auctioned at Corks for Kids Path Charity Event

An item worn by Patricia Arquette was auctioned at this event.

Lord, when does this woman sleep?

Other states woo California teachers amid uncertainty over Schwarzenegger's budget plan

In the article it mentions:

"About 100 parents, including actress Patricia Arquette, gathered Friday morning near the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to protest the proposed budget reductions."

Great article:

Kelly Preston and Jake Weber Talk Medium

Mention of Patricia:

Question: I've talked to Patricia many times and I know you guys have bonded very strongly. Tell me about how you - when you first met her and how that chemistry took off.

Jake Weber: "Oh, I don't know. We just started teasing each other. I think that you need that chemistry on film with somebody who you hate or somebody you really like, you know. If you sort of don't have any strong feelings about them, it gives you - nothing really pops off the screen. And luckily for me, since we've been doing this for four years, you know, it's been - I'm very fond of Patricia and we're kind of like brother and sister, you know. We tease each other and we just always made each other laugh. And, you know, she's gorgeous. She's so easy to just look at and kind of fall in love with, you know. And she's an angel. She really is. She's an extraordinary woman."

Hollywood Habitat for Humanity

Fans of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (8 p.m. Sunday, ABC) are in luck. Right after the charitable construction work on "Makeover," they can tuned to "Hollywood Habitat for Humanity" (9 p.m. Sunday, DIY), featuring a Los Angeles build-athon with stars including Garth Brooks wielding hammers and paint brushes. He'll be joined by his wife, country music star Trisha Yearwood. She joined DIY host Karl Champley on an earlier Habitat for Humanity project in New Orleans.

Other bold-faced names involved in the Hollywood project include Brad Pitt, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams, Seth Green, David Arquette and Patricia Arquette.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER"

"Medium" Turns Provocative During Season Finale

Jewelry Designs Auctioned at Corks for Kids Path Charity Event

An item worn by Patricia Arquette was auctioned at this event.

Actually, I think it was an item similar to one that she had worn, because it mentions other celebs who wore it as well.

Fans of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (8 p.m. Sunday, ABC) are in luck. Right after the charitable construction work on "Makeover," they can tuned to "Hollywood Habitat for Humanity" (9 p.m. Sunday, DIY), featuring a Los Angeles build-athon with stars including Garth Brooks wielding hammers and paint brushes. He'll be joined by his wife, country music star Trisha Yearwood. She joined DIY host Karl Champley on an earlier Habitat for Humanity project in New Orleans.

Other bold-faced names involved in the Hollywood project include Brad Pitt, Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams, Seth Green, David Arquette and Patricia Arquette.

I saw that this was going to be airing, so I'm looking forward to seeeing what all of these celebs did. I think it's awesome that Patricia somehow finds the time for things like this in her cr-aaaa-zy schedule.

Lord, when does this woman sleep?

Other states woo California teachers amid uncertainty over Schwarzenegger's budget plan

In the article it mentions:

"About 100 parents, including actress Patricia Arquette, gathered Friday morning near the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to protest the proposed budget reductions."

LOL! I know what you mean, Tiara. I don't know how she does it. She must have the stamina of a five-year-old. I wish she could bottle that stuff, cuz I needz me some o' dat! This woman is Amazing!!!!! What a giver, and a heart of gold too!

Mediumfan

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.