Gail

Worst film ever seen..........

Never seen that one - I’m afraid the title alone did for me.  I always got the impression it would be some psychological, navel-gazing claptrap (although it seems to be of a more carnal nature), so, given your thoughts on it, happy that I steered well clear of it! 😉

16 minutes ago, Nicole said:

I lasted roughly 17.3 minutes before I wanted to get all Oedipus on my eyeballs.

🤣🤣 Somebody really needs to invent bleach for the brain!!!!!!

I did wonder about adding this one, just in case anyone got seriously upset with me but since we're all adults I'll risk it ------ Star Wars.

And now I'm actually flinching as I type, but bear with me, and maybe you'll find yourself agreeing with one or two things (or maybe you won't and that's fine too!).  Before I go any further, I won't be dissing the original because although C3PO is a bit of a whiny douche (and why so camp?) the rest of it is still quite watchable after all these years.  And it's got a young Harrison Ford in it! 😉 But after that it does go gradually downhill if you ask me, and in no particular order these are just some of my gripes:

Ewoks/Jar Jar Binks - just WTF??

Liam Neeson - can't take him seriously at all in this

Ewan MacGregor's attempt at sounding like Alec Guinness

Hayden Christensen - 'nuff said

There's probably more but those sprang immediately to mind.  And I can't do with Daisy Ridley in the latest trilogy, to me she comes across as all jolly-hockey-sticks/girls school prefect, much preferred Felicity Jones in Rogue One.  Oh, and Adam Driver seems to have come straight from the Hayden Christensen School of Sulky Acting.  I've not seen the (hopefully) last one yet but I'm not holding out much hope for improvement.

Feel better now I've got that off my chest!! 

12 hours ago, Gail said:

I did wonder about adding this one, just in case anyone got seriously upset with me but since we're all adults I'll risk it ------ Star Wars.

And now I'm actually flinching as I type, but bear with me, and maybe you'll find yourself agreeing with one or two things (or maybe you won't and that's fine too!).  Before I go any further, I won't be dissing the original because although C3PO is a bit of a whiny douche (and why so camp?) the rest of it is still quite watchable after all these years.  And it's got a young Harrison Ford in it! 😉 But after that it does go gradually downhill if you ask me, and in no particular order these are just some of my gripes:

Liam Neeson - can't take him seriously at all in this

Ewan MacGregor's attempt at sounding like Alec Guinness

Hayden Christensen - 'nuff said

There's probably more but those sprang immediately to mind.  And I can't do with Daisy Ridley in the latest trilogy, to me she comes across as all jolly-hockey-sticks/girls school prefect, much preferred Felicity Jones in Rogue One.  Oh, and Adam Driver seems to have come straight from the Hayden Christensen School of Sulky Acting.  I've not seen the (hopefully) last one yet but I'm not holding out much hope for improvement.

Feel better now I've got that off my chest!! 

I kind of agree with you here 😊 And it's totally fine not to like Star Wars!

The first trilogy was fun, the second forgettable, the third... Meh. Some nice ideas and characters here and there, the whole is perfectly watchable and enjoyable sometimes. But I'm not an hardcore fan.

Haven't seen the last one, but I've heard it's disappointing, even for fans. Has someone here seen it? 🙂

That being said, Rogue one seems pretty good, and so does The Mandolarian.

Thanks AI - I know how out of hand conversations like this can get on some forums, but like I said, we’re all reasonable adults here!  Yeah, Star Wars is just one of those franchises that seem to have run out of original ideas (and acting ability in some cases 😒). I did enjoy Rogue One though, seemed to breathe some new life into it.

If we’re extending this to franchises, it’s gonna be hard to beat The Matrix for diminishing returns! 😡😡😡

On 1/23/2020 at 12:21 AM, Gail said:

Hi Gail,

I love the old Star Wars movies and am also disappointed about the "first" trilogy. To be fair, I didn't see Rogue One and the last SW movie. I quite liked Rey, she's strong and sympathetic but the whole story is meh.

Someone explained to me that since Disney bought the rights, they've been trying to tie a younger audience. Which makes sense from a marketing perspective. And use the childhood of Anakin as a kind of "Harry Potter" effect where the kids can grow with the hero.

I believe they achieved that, at the cost of losing the long time (OLD) fans.

Now.... we can discuss whether or not a movie for kids needs a good plot and good script 😁 I say yes!

2 hours ago, Enaira said:

Now.... we can discuss whether or not a movie for kids needs a good plot and good script 😁 I say yes!

Absolutely yes!  How else will they learn to become discerning movie goers? 😉

Oh there is plenty more rubbish out there than Sci-Fi flicks. 

Films like Showgirls, Ishtar, Howard The Duck (ok thats Sci-fi), Movie 43, pretty much anything with John Travolta in it after Face Off, The Love Guru, Room, Catwoman the list is bloody endless. 

Adding in sequels is an interesting angle to kill off a good thing.

Speed 2 as an example (Speed being actually really good)

Jaws The Revenge (Why Michael,,,WWWWHHHYYYYYYY)

Son of The Mask (Wasn't a fan of the Jim Carey first one but the sequel was AWFUL)

Highlander 2 (classic first film, great soundtrack)

Police Academy..... (every single last one of them after the 1st funny- ish one)

51 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Oh there is plenty more rubbish out there than Sci-Fi flicks. 

Films like Showgirls, Ishtar, Howard The Duck (ok thats Sci-fi), Movie 43, pretty much anything with John Travolta in it after Face Off, The Love Guru, Room, Catwoman the list is bloody endless. 

Adding in sequels is an interesting angle to kill off a good thing.

Speed 2 as an example (Speed being actually really good)

Jaws The Revenge (Why Michael,,,WWWWHHHYYYYYYY)

Son of The Mask (Wasn't a fan of the Jim Carey first one but the sequel was AWFUL)

Highlander 2 (classic first film, great soundtrack)

Police Academy..... (every single last one of them after the 1st funny- ish one)

And you’ve sat through all this tripe????  Your dedication to the cause is truly admirable! 😄

My worst film that I can recall was the one I selected for my first date with my hubbie and he reminds me about it about once a year (what was I thinking...) Nacho Libre. Ah well its not often he gets one on me.

A comment for Geoff…. Has anyone said you remind them of Hawthorne in "The man in the High Castle"? Not knowing you personally (and your avatar image is tiny) its kind of funny as that character is the mysterious master of the films in the series and you are sort of that mysterious person on the Raw site that knows a lot about films, stirs up things... just my brain making connections... also neat that Luke starred with Thomas in Crown Vic, small world. We just finished season 4 and found out there is no season 5 :(  they left some interesting arcs open and the ending seemed rushed.

17 minutes ago, Tanya said:

My worst film that I can recall was the one I selected for my first date with my hubbie and he reminds me about it about once a year (what was I thinking...) Nacho Libre. Ah well its not often he gets one on me.

Hahahahaha - not your usual date night fayre Tanya!  At least he didn’t hold it against you! 😁

I do vaguely recall watching it at some point but I think it must have pretty much washed over me, apart from Jack Black in very gaudy wrestling costumes I can’t remember anything about it 😕

25 minutes ago, Tanya said:

A comment for Geoff…. Has anyone said you remind them of Hawthorne in "The man in the High Castle"? Not knowing you personally (and your avatar image is tiny) its kind of funny as that character is the mysterious master of the films in the series and you are sort of that mysterious person on the Raw site that knows a lot about films, stirs up things... just my brain making connections... also neat that Luke starred with Thomas in Crown Vic, small world. 

Never watched this but just looked up the actor and you’re right, there does appear to be a resemblance there.  And the film master thing is just spooky!

On 1/21/2020 at 6:53 PM, Gail said:

Can I also submit Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull cobblers to this thread?

Oh this one was hard on me too. I love Indiana Jones movies, of course, because they're great and because you know... Harrison...

I actually don't think much of sequels but IJ3 proved me wrong. I really enjoyed the humor.

So you can imagine how happy I was to hear about Crystal Skull... and then that 🙈

I feel your pain - loved Raiders, thought Temple of Doom was a bit 'meh' but came back strong with The Last Crusade.  I was soooo looking forward to No. 4 and then, as you so eloquently put it, 'that'!  Apart from it having Harrison Ford in it, I really struggle to find any redeeming features.  The story was complete tosh, Ray Winstone was woefully miscast, John Hurt must have wondered what the hell he'd signed up for and Shia LeBeouf (I have no words).  And where exactly was Cate Blanchett's character meant to be from?  Her accent was all over the place.  Kinda longing for that time machine again!

(Just a thought, do we think it's worth having another thread looking at this the other way round, i.e. films that didn't promise much but surprised you with how good they were?)

For me I think its Magnolia, Tom Cruise, I remember watching it on a date I think...shows how good my memory is, but I completely lost what the plot was part way through, something happened in the film that spun my head out so much I was thinking what the actual... and then that was it, film just skipped by and I couldn't wait to get out of there. 

That's the first one that comes to mind on bad films, or maybe it was just a bad time watching it. 

5 hours ago, Gail said:

Never watched this but just looked up the actor and you’re right, there does appear to be a resemblance there.  And the film master thing is just spooky!

Man in the High Castle is brilliant (not least because the lust of my life stars in it!). It's just so well done. 

20 hours ago, Tanya said:

A comment for Geoff…. Has anyone said you remind them of Hawthorne in "The man in the High Castle"? Not knowing you personally (and your avatar image is tiny) its kind of funny as that character is the mysterious master of the films in the series and you are sort of that mysterious person on the Raw site that knows a lot about films, stirs up things... just my brain making connections

Well I know Im no Brad Pitt but you mean this dude?

download.jpg

Cant see it myself.

73364303_140962230628062_1702832164950769664_o1.jpg

ok, I'll recant the appearance but character as master of films 😉  thanks for sharing bigger image of yourself.

Yeah, take your point - sorry Geoff!  No offence meant, you know that right? 😉

(In my defence, when I made the comparison I was squinting at a tiny picture on my phone, on a jiggly train, after a long day at work)

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

Cant see it myself.

Me neither, even from your wee avatar, Geoff! Funny how we all see things differently, isn't it?

(A subject K and I were discussing last night, while talking about the fact that female marmosets, like most humies, have trichromatic vision, whereas males only have dichromatic.)

No offence taken 😎

We may have a new contender here - just seen that there is definitely (maybe) going to be an Indiana Jones 5! 😧

Really????  For the love of God, Harrison Ford is pushing 80, can't really see him being 'action archaeologist' now..........I'm not suggesting for one minute that he should retire, still a great, but this franchise has already gone one step too far IMO.

7 hours ago, Gail said:

We may have a new contender here - just seen that there is definitely (maybe) going to be an Indiana Jones 5! 😧

Really????  For the love of God, Harrison Ford is pushing 80, can't really see him being 'action archaeologist' now..........I'm not suggesting for one minute that he should retire, still a great, but this franchise has already gone one step too far IMO.

Interesting one this as there have been good sequels after bad ones that have re generated the series.

With the news also coming up that Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are "Not too old for this shit" with Lethal Weapon 5 and with potentially getting Shane Black in to write the last one and the news above there have been cases of the re boot or delayed sequel re charging the series!

Mad Max:Fury Road being a great example or the 4th Fast & Furious (bringing back Vin Diesel and Paul Walker) or re boots such as Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy proves that things can be re done with the right idea and people.

Course with Indy 5 it couldn't get much worse than Indy 4 but the kid in me will hold out hope for the other "Hat" making a great return. No kids and no feckin aliens, 

27 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Interesting one this as there have been good sequels after bad ones that have re generated the series.

With the news also coming up that Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are "Not too old for this shit" with Lethal Weapon 5 and with potentially getting Shane Black in to write the last one and the news above there have been cases of the re boot or delayed sequel re charging the series!

Mad Max:Fury Road being a great example or the 4th Fast & Furious (bringing back Vin Diesel and Paul Walker) or re boots such as Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy proves that things can be re done with the right idea and people.

Course with Indy 5 it couldn't get much worse than Indy 4 but the kid in me will hold out hope for the other "Hat" making a great return. No kids and no feckin aliens, 

Can’t really disagree with any of this - Mad Max: Fury Road was a definite shot in the arm for that franchise. So far Indy films have been (in order) Good, Meh, Great, Abysmal so if they follow that trend then Indy 5 should be fantastic.  We can only hope! 

32 minutes ago, Geoff said:

No kids and no feckin aliens, 

Amen to that! *high five* 

And another contender enters the arena!  Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands firmly in your pockets for.............Terminator: Dark Fate!

**** SPOILERS!!!!! ****

Dear. God. 😩 I hardly know where to start.  Well, at the beginning probably, where pretty much all the preceding films are immediately rendered obsolete thanks to the slaying of a young John Connor by an Arnie Terminator at a beach bar (!), so now we're veering off in a totally different direction.............or we would be if the premise of the new plot (and I use 'new' in its loosest possible sense here!) wasn't  that a Terminator has been sent back by a rogue A.I. to do away with a young lady who will become a resistance leader in the future.  Stop me if anything's sounding familiar yet 🙄  The aforementioned Terminator is a fairly innocuous-looking character (Robert Patrick's version would have destroyed it with a sneer!) - and why, when they see this thing survive grenades and explosions (it's another one of those liquid jobs), do they keep shooting at it with handguns?  What good do they think they'll do?  Anyhoo, after a lot of running away and pontificating there's the inevitable final showdown which goes on far too long and the result is a foregone conclusion - Arnie dies (again) and the new Terminator is destroyed.  The new girl, who is totally forgettable, has had a female protector sent back, and to be fair, she's the only good character (played by Mackenzie Davis, who I last saw in Blade Runner 2049 as a hooker).  I read somewhere that the male heavy cast of previous films had been given an overhaul to give Sarah Connor a more meaningful role rather than just being sidelined as John's mentor, although I'm sure the films were called 'Terminator' and not 'John Connor and His Mum' - I hate when franchises do this 😡. So, all in all, in my opinion just watch the first two and leave it there, even with my continuing confusion over the 'why did it come back at all' conundrum! 😏 Phew - rant over!