Guest AdminGuyX

Tom Savini

Guest AdminGuyX

I've had the pleasure of spending some time with Tom Savini on a few film sets, and he's always been one of the nicest guys. I worked on a few comic books with him, and I storyboarded a film he was set to direct that never happened.

All that aside, the first time I ever met Tom was in Pittsburgh, at the Pittsburgh comic con. I was actually kind of nervous to meet him too, but he signed my dusk til dawn CD, and we chatted about vampires for half an hour or so. I walked away feeling great, especially since I'd met John DeLancie an hour prior and he was a complete dickhead.

The second time I saw Tom was in Detroit. He recognized me from Pittsburgh and said "Hey, Neal right?" and I laughed and told him my name. (He still can't spell it)

But what I noticed at the Detroit show, which he didn't have out in Pittsburgh that year, were these:

bustsatbash2.jpg

And man, in person close up are they ever impressive. It struck me what an amazing sculptor one would have to be to do what he does anyway. But, the detail and care put into thse busts is amazing.

drac32.jpg

And speaking as someone who has an interest in sculpting, but has never done much of it, it's inspiring work.

I just thought I'd share it with you guys, in case you thought Tom only did splatter work.

:)

mephan.jpg

His Mummy bust is my favorite, and one day I hope to have one gracing my mantle.

Hopefully I'll get to work with Tom on a film again soon. He's always a lot of fun to have on set, and keeps things interesting.

He's an excellent stunt man, and stunt choreographer as well.

Savini has always been a perfect gentleman when I've met him or been around him.

I met him years ago and he was cool. Then after I became a professional I was a guest at Dragon Con in Atlanta many years back.

I was hanging out in the Con Suite one evening and had one of my most memorable experiences ever.

I still think it's surreal. I was chatting away to a pal, Mark Bode (son of the legendary Vaughn Bode), that was cool enough, but up walks Savini and he sits down.

We three started discussing a film Tom was going to direct in his native Pittsburgh, a town I have close ties to.

Cool conversation. Then up walks Timothy Leary and asks us if we want to "partake" with him.

So the four of us sat there and smoked a joint together. Folks, that was outta hand COOL.

I would never condone drug use, but it was a joint fer chrissakes.

Anyway, years later I'm at SDCC with Bernie Wrightson and we were checking in to pro registration.

Savini walks up and practically gushes all over Wrightson. That was cool to see.

Just when I'm about to think he has no memory of me (and why should he?), he says,"Hey Bradstreet", and we all end up yapping for 10 minutes.

Yes, I totally brought up the Timothy Leary Dragon Con thing. He says "Yeah, it was me, you, Tim Leary, and Mark Bode!"

Mind like a steel trap.

Big admirer of his work obviously.

It may interest folks to know that a pal of mine, Greg Nicotero, of KNB EFX (he's the "N") got his start in the business with Savini on "Dawn Of The Dead". He was a make-up assistant to Tom and worked on the whole picture. He also ended up with a nice little acting part in "Day Of The Dead". Then he went on to become a world famous Practical Make-Up FX genius and formed KNB in 1988 with Robert Kurtzman, and Howard Berger. KNB has worked on everything from Freddy Krueger and Michael Myers, to Masters Of Horror, Kill Bill, From Dusk Til Dawn, and The Mist. They are the top practical FX company in the business, even surviving the CGI FX explosion.

And it all started with the man with the hawk nose and the cool mustache that made a machete to the head, pop culture history.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, you should head over to www.savini.com when you have a few minutes and read Tom's diaries of his work on Grindhouse. He and Greg spent a lot of time together on that set, and there are some really great stories posted. You can really tell that Tom and Greg are kindred spirits and good friends.

One thing I didn't know before working with him, Tom plays classical piano!

We were at a location with him in St. Pete working on a $30,000 vampire film, and the house we were filming in had a baby grand in the main room.

Everyone was kind of quiet as the main crew was setting up the camera in the backyard. It was down time.

Out of nowhere, classical piano started to float through the house. It was one of those weird moments, everyone stopped what they were doing, and were sort of drawn into the main room and low and behold, Tom was tickling the ivories.

We all sat there and listened for a good while, and when he finally stopped we clapped, he bowed, and everyone went back to work.

It was cool.

I don't smoke weed, but even I'd probably do it if Timothy Leary asked me to.

hahahaha.

Great story, thanks Tim.

By the way Tim, Tom is a fan of yours. He and I chatted about your work.

I love Pittsburgh too. One of my favorite cities. I haven't been in a long time, and I have some great friends there I would love to see again soon.

We ought to do a gathering at the next Pittsburgh Comicon.

Michael and Renee George run the show and they have been great to me in the past.

It's about time I invite myself out there again ;)

Every time I've been out there in the past Savini has been there.

Last time I was out was for the 25th Anniversary of Dawn Of The Dead, I did an Anniversary poster for the show. That was fun.

Greg was there, Tom was there, Ken Foree . . .

Tom would go home at night but Greg, Ken and I did a lot of hanging. Good times.

I'll check out the diaries, sounds mondo cool.

- TB

Guest FADoss

I actually met Howard Berger years ago! I was booking lectures out at Missouri Southern State College in Joplin, MO and brought him out. GREAT SHOW. I also met Doug Bradley (Pinhead) the same way. I introduced Doug to his first real life buffalo on the way up from the airport in Tulsa OK. I've been trying to get back in touch with him for YEARS!!!

Never met Tom though, but I am a HUGE fan of all his work on the Romero stuff...not to mention his acting work in "From Dusk Till Dawn" SEX MACHINE!!! and "Planet Terror". He's one cool fucking cat.

Frederic

Guest AdminGuyX

A gathering would be great. The next Pittsburgh con is at the end of April, kinda' close, but I might be able to make that work.

Fred, if I have my way and the planets align, budget allows, and schedules work out, you'll be working with Tom in the near future.

:)

Michael and Renee George run the show and they have been great to me in the past

I gush about my experiences with them in the past shows I attended. I haven't been in a long time, but for a while I was a regular and they were 4 stars every time. My friends who live there think very highly of them as well. They know how to treat folks!

Tom is also a very highly underrated actor. He really stands his ground opposite Ed Harris in Knightriders. He has a great range. I've always admired his work - both in front of and behind the camera.

That is one of the reasons I have him cast in HIRED GUNS. Tom has been so supportive and hungry for this project - he is a HUGE western fan. He even gave us a push at the premiere of GRINDHOUSE last year when we were going to shoot in August last year. That was before the money fell over and we had to regroup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6kPcPnfTkI

Have the utmost respect for his body of work.

regards

Andrew

That's so cool. I love hearing about famous people who aren't douche bags. Tom Savini's the shit. I like Rick Baker's stuff too, but Savini's my favorite.

I love the machine gun cod piece in Dusk 'til Dawn.

Tom sent me this link this morning from Horrorhound with him and Danny Trejo.

Fun stuff.

regards

Andrew

Tom sent me this link this morning from Horrorhound with him and Danny Trejo.

That was funny. If I ever make it to a horror convention, I'll know what kind of ammunition to take along. :huh:

K-skye

A friend of mine had an Air-Zooka at AdventureCon and Adam Baldwin borrowed it to shoot Corey Feldman in the head! Too funny!

Met Tom at Wonderfest. Nice guy.

Saw some of his haunted house props at Hauntcon- too slick.

Always think of him when I see a copy of Creepshow.

Tom sent me an email this morning. Some of you guys might be interested in watching:

Hey, at 10pm EST there is a special on Starz network called Fantastic Flesh, a well done show on make up effects with me, and Greg, and Dick Smith, and Rob Bottin, and John Landis, and John Carpenter and lots more with lots of eye candy.

Tom sent me an email this morning. Some of you guys might be interested in watching:

Hey, at 10pm EST there is a special on Starz network called Fantastic Flesh, a well done show on make up effects with me, and Greg, and Dick Smith, and Rob Bottin, and John Landis, and John Carpenter and lots more with lots of eye candy.

Ooooo, Sounds cool! Thanks for that, Andrew.

Tom was at Screamfest last year, and unfortunately i didn't get the chance to meet him--i was helping out at another booth and ran out of time.

A good friend of mine did though, check out 'Jimmy Star is The Shit!' on youtube, it's fucking hilarious.

Yes, it IS about time you got your ass out here again. I'm still waiting.

BTW, Savini is an awesome dude!!! I have his Creature bust in my studio. It's gorgeous, and weighs a friggin' TON!

We ought to do a gathering at the next Pittsburgh Comicon.

Michael and Renee George run the show and they have been great to me in the past.

It's about time I invite myself out there again ;)

Every time I've been out there in the past Savini has been there.

Last time I was out was for the 25th Anniversary of Dawn Of The Dead, I did an Anniversary poster for the show. That was fun.

Greg was there, Tom was there, Ken Foree . . .

Tom would go home at night but Greg, Ken and I did a lot of hanging. Good times.

I'll check out the diaries, sounds mondo cool.

- TB

Latest news from Tom:

"If you can, please watch Extreme Makeover Home this Sunday night, the 18th, on ABC, at 8:pm EST, for a special episode where Tom Savini makes an autistic boy's dream come true"

Guest AdminGuyX

I watched the episode, by the way, and it was great to see Tom, and his school on the show.

The kid freaking out in his room when Tom walked in was priceless.

That's so cool. I love hearing about famous people who aren't douche bags. Tom Savini's the shit. I like Rick Baker's stuff too, but Savini's my favorite.

I love the machine gun cod piece in Dusk 'til Dawn.

That is to awesome! I been a huge fan of Mr. Savinis since Dawn of the Dead when I watched it with my brother and I was a wee little guy.

I have always wanted to meet him. I got one of his books researching a piece I was working on and I would love to take his courses!

Im watching Day of the Dead right now, my favorite movie from them all even though I find Dawn of the Dead a better movie. Its funny that I find you guys talking about the Romero series and Tom Savini.

Im watching Day of the Dead right now, my favorite movie from them all even though I find Dawn of the Dead a better movie. Its funny that I find you guys talking about the Romero series and Tom Savini.

Wow, absolutely amazing stories! 

I felt that for a while that people were badmouthing Tom Savini a lot and I really have no idea why. I had the pleasure of interviewing him for a doc in 2000 - wow, it really is that long ago - in Switzerland of all places and it was an absolute joy. He was extremely nice with us, complimented us on our lighting and then gave an amazing interview. I mean, he has fascinating stories to tell, not only about his craft but also about his time in Vietnam and how it affected him. To me, he is one of the absolute masters, up there with Rob Bottin and Dick Smith. And I agree, he is a very intense actor and I always liked to see him on screen. Great guy in my book!