Tim Bradstreet

Star Trek - 2009

On the street it's Rachel by a landslide, but in the vernacular of Trek, Susan Oliver or Yvonne Craig (in their time) either one have her licked.

;)

- TB

If there's girl-on-girl licking going on, can I watch?

:blink:

I honestly had never watched an episode or movie in the original Star Trek series, but I really enjoyed this one. Saw it with my grandparents, and they said if I liked this one, I should check out the others. Maybe on Blu ray, they have the complete movie collection don't they?

******SPOILERS*****

Finally managed to get some down time, I really should have gone to SLEEP!...but this was my only chance to see this movie so, off to the movie I went.

I was not dissapointed at all. I loved it...and hated it... See I absolutly HATE time travel movies, (land of the lost doesn't count because it's totally screwball.) HATE is not a strong enough word for how I feel about time travel movies. Until today my only exception has been H.G. Wells Time Machine, starring Rod Taylor, now it is a list of 2!...

I don't think Peg is getting enough love for his role as Scottie...I totally dug him, could probably have done with out the Jar Jar Binks wannabe that followed him about, but that is very, very minor. I thought Peg was outstanding and brought major vitality to the role.

And McCoy was freaking great, Urban, he just incredibly brought Deforest Kelly back to life in front of my eyes. I'm taking his performance and adding it to my top 10 all time. Props for giving Props to D. Kelly.

I'm an originally Star Trek kinda guy, but have also enjoyed every version of it that has been on tv or movie, I take what I can get and enjoy as much as I can.

I hope I get a chance to see this again before it exits the big house, I'd love to see it on IMAX man...

I too loved it. Finally got to see it at the drive-in last Saturday night. I thought all the performances were fantastic to include Nimoy. Great plot, characters, acting, effects. I wonder if the academy will nominate it for best picture. They ought to, just for how well-rounded it is as a film and the barriers it had to break down to be as widely accepted as it has been.

Fred

I always, always HATED star Trek. The whole thing. I have yet to see this movie, and it has already left the theatres in my area, but it does look damn good, so I will at least pick it up on dvd when it comes out ;)

Don't ask me why I always hated all the shows and stuff. Just one of those weird things that happens :P

I wouldn't say the plot was great, the whole movie kinda hinged on coincidence.

Guest AdminGuyX
I always, always HATED star Trek.

This was kind of the Star Trek movie for people who have always hated Star Trek. And you really should have caught it in the theater if you were planning to give it a shot. It's a big screen flick.

I always, always HATED star Trek. The whole thing. I have yet to see this movie, and it has already left the theatres in my area, but it does look damn good, so I will at least pick it up on dvd when it comes out ;)

Don't ask me why I always hated all the shows and stuff. Just one of those weird things that happens :P

What BFE place are you living that they already pushed out one of the highest grossing films around? There must be something nearby. I drove 2 hours to get a baby sitter to watch T4 for God's sake!!!

******SPOILERS*****

Finally managed to get some down time, I really should have gone to SLEEP!...but this was my only chance to see this movie so, off to the movie I went.

I was not dissapointed at all. I loved it...and hated it... See I absolutly HATE time travel movies, (land of the lost doesn't count because it's totally screwball.) HATE is not a strong enough word for how I feel about time travel movies. Until today my only exception has been H.G. Wells Time Machine, starring Rod Taylor, now it is a list of 2!...

Well, Time Machine was about time travel, so that made sense. I was pretty much spitting nails after seeing the Lost In Space movie.

However, I thought this Star Trek used time travel as an ingenious way to reboot the whole star trek universe. This new one will essentially be parallel to the one we've known.

My only annoyance with this flick was in the very beginning when Kirk was being born. His parents acted like they didn't know if they were having a boy or a girl. What, no ultrasound machines in the future?? Plus they had apparently not bothered to discuss what to name the kid until he was born. I can overlook all this since I figure it was all for dramatic effect or whatever. But it was still annoying.

Apparently, this was still playing in my theatres, but wasn't listed where I looked, for some fucked up reason. I went to see and it was pretty fucking good. I'll definitely get the dvd when it's out, and I may even look into the originals...maybe ;)

Well, Time Machine was about time travel, so that made sense. I was pretty much spitting nails after seeing the Lost In Space movie.

However, I thought this Star Trek used time travel as an ingenious way to reboot the whole star trek universe. This new one will essentially be parallel to the one we've known.

My only annoyance with this flick was in the very beginning when Kirk was being born. His parents acted like they didn't know if they were having a boy or a girl. What, no ultrasound machines in the future?? Plus they had apparently not bothered to discuss what to name the kid until he was born. I can overlook all this since I figure it was all for dramatic effect or whatever. But it was still annoying.

Horse crap. People are surprised all the time today and we have good ultrasound. It's a choice to be surprised. As for the name, my wife and I spent months trying to come up with a boy's name and never could agree on one and her brother was named the day of his birth. Thankfully we had girls which was easier.

Nowhere near the level of terminator heart transplants.

Alright, I know I'm LATE, but I finally got to see it!

What can I say?? It's AWESOME, great, fantastic, perfect!

My Trekkie heart is burning. :P

I just can't wait for a sequel, or even better, a TV series with this cast.

Anyone know when this hits DVD?

Too busy to go researching but if anyone has some intel . . . .

- tb

Hah! I've had it on Blu-Ray since Tuesday! :P

Blu-Ray and DVD are already out in Germany too.

This film really makes me want to get all Star Trek series on DVD (the original one, TNG, Deep Space Nine, Voyager). If only I had the money... :rolleyes:

Hah! I've had it on Blu-Ray since Tuesday! :P

Ooh, I'd love to see that movie on Blu-Ray.

Color me jealous!

- tb

OK. I FINALLY got to see this movie.

As a Star Trek fan I was iffy on the movie.

I will say two things about the movie.

Plot SUCKED.

LOVED everything else. I think they nailed McCoy's character perfectly.

Favourite Character of the film? Scotty. Hyperactive technogeek.

Aww bummer - I guess I was able to detach myself enough so that I wasn't staring boldly at the plot (which I thought was fine).

I thought it was anything but an iffy movie. I thought it was a big screen event that successfully relaunched a franchise.

A fairly non-stop roller coaster ride of thrills and done cleverly enough to pay homage and not turn it's back on the original series and films.

Star Trek 2009 is saying, "Classic fans, you're going to be OK, everything you love still exists, but check out our parallel universe!".

I thought it was genius.

Did you see it on the big screen Jarlath? That was pretty amazing.

I loved the cast. Everyone who I was not sure about won me over, namely Pine.

I've said he has a big head (meaning a large gulliver, not a pretentious attitude), and it's true, in print media the size of his nut drove me a little . . . well, er, nuts.

But in the film I was not distracted, in fact never even noticed this personal vendetta of mine ;)

Pine won me over and with that I opened my heart fully. You cannot fuck up Kirk and they didn't.

He's different, younger, more cavalier, that's fine - different reality because of the interfered with timeline.

Fuck you JJ, You made me buy the concept and gladly so ;)

I watched it with my wife just last night and for the third time and it was just as fresh for me as the first time I saw it.

Bruce fucking Greenwood! Fucking Christopher fucking PIKE! One of my favorite things about the original series is back. You could not have cast a more perfect actor in this role JJ.

And because of the interfered with timeline he doesn't have to be a brain in a fucked up withered body trapped in a chair! More Bruce!!

The third trailer released for this film has got to go down as one of my all time favorite trailers. It's what great trailers should aspire to.

When Captain Pike says - "Your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes, he saved 800 lives, including yours. I dare you to do better."

I got fucking chills up my spine. I still do.

And Ben Cross as Sarek. Fuck yes. I do so love the little things ;)

I'm ready for the next film like YESTERDAY.

Viva and Huzzah! to the new Star Trek franchise! This old dog is ready for the ride.

Bruce fucking Greenwood! Fucking Christopher fucking PIKE! One of my favorite things about the original series is back. You could not have cast a more perfect actor in this role JJ.

And because of the interfered with timeline he doesn't have to be a brain in a fucked up withered body trapped in a chair! More Bruce!!

When Captain Pike says - "Your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes, he saved 800 lives, including yours. I dare you to do better."

And Ben Cross as Sarek. Fuck yes. I do so love the little things ;)

I couldn't agree more on these points

I also really liked Zachary Quinto as the unlikeable Spock, especially the closing dialogue between Quinto and Nimoy.

Favourite Character of the film? Scotty. Hyperactive technogeek.

Simon Pegg was funny and entertaining, but a technogeek is not what I see as a Chief Engineer. The Ship's CHENG is often the kind of guy you can expect to show up with a pipe wrench and cover your back in a fight. It may be stereotypical of me, but since I have many years of experience working in ship's engineering spaces, I expect more of someone with applied practical knowledge, rather than exceptional academic research skills. For that matter I really didn't like the engineering space set that seemed a little too staged for a particular scene rather than the blood and guts of the mighty Enterprise.

Mike

When Captain Pike says - "Your father was Captain of a Starship for 12 minutes, he saved 800 lives, including yours. I dare you to do better." I got fucking chills up my spine. I still do.

Likewise, they had me at George Kirk ... B)

Also dug on the alterna-Spock and Uhura, found that really interesting ... and logical ;)

I can say nothing but good things about Chris Pine - really appreciate his respect for "Mr. Shatner" - he wrote him a nice letter.

Did you notice the Kirk leg-cross in the chair on the bridge? Out-freakin-standing!

I still discover little things which is why I know I'll keep watching it.

I believe it is arguably (or not) standing tall with the best films of the series.

In some ways it obviously surpasses the old series, ie the budget.

I really would love to see what they could have cooked up for Wrath Of Khan and Nimoy's two offerings if they had even close to the budget this film had.

Trust me, ST films 2 thru 4 would be considered low budget for top tier Sci Fi even at the time. By today's standards it would be laughable.

Wrath was an 11M $ budget, Voyage Home was $25M.

The new film's budget was 150M . . . . even in adjusted $ for the 80's the new film had easily 4 times the budget of any of the best films.

AND digital technology and FX have come a loooooooooooong way in 20 sum years ;)

I also really liked Zachary Quinto as the unlikeable Spock,

Zach does deserve mention on my part. I thought he was great and I truly enjoyed the altered version of the new character.

Having Nimoy onboard this film to act as a bridge between old and new regimes while simultaneously acting as the lynchpin of the plot was a genius move.

especially the closing dialogue between Quinto and Nimoy.

Great stuff indeed.

Also dug on the alterna-Spock and Uhura, found that really interesting ... and logical

Heh, surprisingly the new relationship did not even cause a speedbump for me. I went with it as easy as kiss my hand.

It just seemed somehow natural and acceptable. Didn't feel like pandering to an open minded 21st century audience, didn't feel cheap or lame.

This film easily had this old die hard fan in the palm of it's hand.

Not that I ever really doubted but JJ Abrams is proving to be Hollywood's heir apparent to Spielberg in terms of having the golden touch with quality on a money making scale.

Oh yeah and I really dug Chris Hemsworth who played George Kirk, yep, Thor himself. Looks like Chris is one busy fucker right now.

I'm not up in anyone's shit if this wasn't their cup of tea on whatever level.

But if it means anything, THIS long-time ST geek most emphatically and earnestly approves.

Hope they can take it up a notch with the next film as it is sure to be a new classic Star Trek extended episode style adventure. Supposed to be a new Wrath Of Khan take right?

Or are they remaking the original episode, Space Seed?

Please let JJ be sitting in the director's chair, though even if he's not I gotta trust his taste and judgement in selecting the right candidate.

I'm in, let's rock.

- TB

Well, I was always more of a (original) Star Wars guy and never really watched Star Trek (I only got a few glimpses from the different TV shows and saw Nemesis on TV once - not impressed). But I did buy this reboot on DVD because of Abrams and the interesting cast. And I think the movie is great, one of the year's best for me! I agree with you guys about Pine, Greenwood, Quinto,...

I also think that Karl Urban did an awesome job in a more comedic role after playing the austere badass in Lord of the Rings, Bourne and Riddick. Simon Pegg rocked as well and it looks like Zoe Saldana slowly works her way up into my favorite actress list :P