Tim Bradstreet

Star Trek - 2009

I think it's extremely important to respect the shit out of the source material in this case. So it's nice to see that Shatner was pleased with it.

That's some funny shit.

---------------------------------------------

Nimoy looks awesome.

I'm very happy they cast Ben Cross as Sarek. I think Cross is a hugely underused actor with a lot of talent.

I've followed his career to a certain extent since Chariots Of Fire and HBO's The Far Pavilions when he was a much younger man.

Cool thing about good actors is that the older they get, the more character gets etched into their face along the way.

Guy's like even Lee Marvin don't get truly interesting until their late 30's early 40's.

The older Cross gets, the cooler he looks.

As for reimagining the characters - While visually everything is pretty fucking close to TOS you can tell just by the trailer that the characterizations are what will change the most.

They way Spock talks to Kirk and vice versa, Scotty acting and sounding a bit like David O'Hara in Braveheart, (yes, I realize one is Irish and the other Scottish) etc . . .

Still, like I mentioned before, I'm open minded to this. I'm sure there will be some stuff I wish had been left intact, but as long as it's good. That's the main issue.

The young Kirk scene is growing on me little by little, and it never was something that was going to ruin the film as a whole for me by any stretch.

And again, Nimoy looks wonderful. I literally got chills going down the spine when he appeared and spoke.

Thanks for posting that new trailer Noeland.

- TB

as a fan of the original series ill be annoyed by the changes they make but if thay have a good story and stick to the spirit of the original it could be a great film

I had a crush on Captain Jean Luc Picard....did I just type that...am I about to hit return?! :o

That's right, Amy - own it! :D

... And yes, most "space" shows from that era were quite weak. That era's Battle Star Gallactica sucked as did Buck Rogers. Anyone remember Space 1999 with Martin Landau and Barbara Bain? Please don't let anyone remake that!

As for the reboot, revamp, reimaging, reimagining - I think it's their hope that ST2008 will legitimize TOS - pull it out of camp and make it respectable like the rest of the franchise. But the characters and tropes of TOS have their own vortex that's hard to repel and resist. Let's see if they were successful in tying themselves to a rock while the sirens scream "...I....am.....Kirk..."

:lol: I actually loved all those cheesy sci-fi shows you mentioned, that's hilarious.

And, respectfully, I don't think TOS needs to be legitimized ... but in the interest of disclosure, I myself never truly embraced The Shatner as Kirk until the 80s - when I discovered his remarkable sense-of-humor about most things, especially himself. Also, I watched the TV show, Night Court, and the bailiff Bull Shannon realized he became an irresistible chick-magnet when he began sporting a toupee known as The Shatner 2000.

I mean, come on! :lol: That gave me a whole new appreciation for all things Shatnerian thereafter.

:lol: I actually loved all those cheesy sci-fi shows you mentioned, that's hilarious.

Ah, don't get me wrong about those shows. I TOTALLY watched them, secretly loved them, but was always on the fence about 'em. Kinda like how I felt about the 1980 Flash Gordon movie. Lured in by the Queen soundtrack, I would never admit to anyone that I watched it every time it showed up on HBO. Turns out that I had a thing for Ming - I secretly wanted to be Dale but NOT have Flash rescue me!

So Amy, you've got company for crushing on powerful bald guys. ;)

Variety reports that Majel Barrett-Roddenberry will reprise her role as the voice of the Starship Enterprise computer in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek feature. She's voiced the role in four "Star Trek" TV series and three films.

Opening on May 8th, the Paramount release stars John Cho, Ben Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Winona Ryder, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Eric Bana, Leonard Nimoy, Marlene Forte and Jimmy Bennett.

It was written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=51228

Paramount Pictures and IMAX Corporation today announced that Star Trek, directed by J.J. Abrams (Mission: Impossible III, "Lost" and "Alias"), will be simultaneously released to both IMAX® and conventional theatres worldwide on May 8, 2009.

Film Database:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15645, which chronicles the early days of James T. Kirk and his fellow USS Enterprise crew members, will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. Paramount Pictures will be the exclusive distributor of the film to IMAX theatres worldwide.

"We're excited to share the enhanced IMAX version of this film with the millions of dedicated fans who have been anticipating this release since production began," said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman, Paramount Pictures. "The IMAX Experience adds that extra level of excitement to an already action-packed film, giving moviegoers a premium 'event' at the multiplex."

Added J.J. Abrams, "I'm thrilled that audiences will be able to experience this new, epic world of 'Star Trek' - with an incredible cast and mind-blowing visual effects - on what is, obviously, the most remarkable film format in the world."

"'Star Trek' combines top Hollywood story-telling talent with space exploration, and each is very conducive to The IMAX Experience," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "Expanding our relationship with Paramount Pictures to include this film strengthens our 2009 slate, and with the continuing rollout of digital IMAX theatre systems, we will be able to offer the fan-base more locations to experience the epic first journey of the USS Enterprise in the most immersive way."

"Both 'Star Trek' and IMAX have taken audiences to far away places they would normally not be able to go, and in this case, it's space - the final frontier," added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "J.J. Abrams has created a powerful movie that has fans worldwide feverishly anticipating its release. We are thrilled to partner with Paramount Pictures to bring J.J.'s exciting vision of this incredible space adventure to IMAX screens."

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=51257

Do you think they could have done a better job? This is so damn boring!

MTV has an exclusive look at Paramount’s new banner advertising for JJ Abrams‘ Star Trek. Click on the image above to see the image in higher resolution on the MTV site. They also have a short interview with Abrams, who talks about the film’s humor, the Slusho reference, Leonard Nimoy’s involvement and the difference between his Trek movie and the Trek of the past. I’ll leave you with this short excerpt:

“There’s a level of relevance that I think is really because of the actors playing the part. I didn’t want to just re-create or reset everything, I thought going back to those characters was important. [in previous films] when we met those characters, we met them pre-established. They’d already been working together, they already knew each other. They had this history. And for some reason, the origin of those relationships of those characters was something that probably would have helped me, at least, connect to them and understand why I should care about them and who they were. So on those fundamental levels, none of the movies have had that before. But on a much more practical level, “Star Trek” has never had the opportunity, nor the resources, to be realized in this way. Things like the ships and the battles and the planets and the chases and the action sequences … and do them in a way that felt thrilling and terrifying and entertaining in a way that the show and the prior movies simply couldn’t afford to do. I feel we were able to bring to life, in a way we’ve never seen before, what it is to be a member of Starfleet. And that’s kind of cool.”

Read the full interview on MTV.com.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/15/new-star-trek-banner/

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Actress Majel Barrett Roddenberry, the widow of "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry and a member of the show's cast, has died. She was 76.

Barrett Roddenberry died of leukemia on Thursday at her home in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Bel Air, her family said in a statement.

Her relationship with Gene Roddenberry, who died in 1991 after the two had been married for 22 years, earned Barrett Roddenberry the nickname "The First Lady of Star Trek."

She had roles in nearly every "Star Trek" television show and movie, playing Nurse Chapel in the original series and lending her voice to the starship's computer in nearly every incarnation of the saga.

She recently finished her role as the voice of the USS Enterprise computer in director J.J. Abrams' movie "Star Trek," which is due out in May, 2009, her family said.

Barrett Roddenberry is survived by her only son, Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry Jr. A public memorial is expected to be scheduled for sometime after Christmas.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081218/en_nm/us_roddenberry_2

If you're a fan of STAR TREK on Facebook then you got a nice little holiday card from JJ Abrams. OK so the holiday card was a actually note posted to the page with an official message from JJ but you get the drift. Here's what he had to say about STAR TREK three days before Christmas:

Dear All Those Who Checked Out the Trek Trailer on Facebook:

THANK YOU!

We're just making final tweaks to the movie -- we should be totally locked next week. Then we're going to flash-freeze it so it's totally fresh for you in May. I can't wait for you to see the movie. The cast is awesome. The action and effects pushed the stunt team and ILM beyond their limits. I'm so grateful to this cast and crew -- and to all of you for your interest and patience. We'll continue to update this page with new info and exclusives, so check back when you think of it. In the meantime, have a happy, healthy, fun holiday!

From the last days of the sound mix,

JJ

I'm only about 50% sure JJ is joking about flash-freezing the film BTW. So there you have it! TREK isn't due for another five months or so but it's already done and ready for your eyes. Considering a lot of directors leave things to the last minute (I'm looking at you Baz Luhrmann), it's impressive that Abrams was able to finish such an FX heavy movie this far in advance (though remember that TREK was originally set for release in two days).

Source: http://joblo.com/jj-updates-trek

Paramount Pictures announced today that a third trailer for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek is planned to be in theaters starting on Friday, March 6th with Watchmen.

The trailer, which features brand new footage, will also be online on Apple.com Trailers in HD starting on the morning of 3/9 and thereafter on the official site.

Star Trek, starring John Cho, Ben Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Winona Ryder, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Eric Bana and Leonard Nimoy, arrives in theaters on May 8.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52793

Paramount Pictures has released a new logo for JJ Abrams’ Star Trek, which can be seen above. It is interesting that they’ve now included the light flare into the logo as the aesthetic was used very prominently in the 20 minutes of footage I screened in November. Personally, I think it looks a little plain, especially compared to the teaser logo, which you can see again after the jump.

newstartreklogo.jpg

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/20/new-st...-logo-released/

totalfilmtrek.jpg

The latest issue of Total Film Magazine is being released in four collectible Star Trek covers. The new photo above of Kirk and Spock coming face to face with Nero on the Bridge’s video screen. Check out the photo and covers in higher resolution on TotalFilm.com.

Also, SciFi Wire confirmed today that a contract has been signed with Paramount to reopen the Star Trek The Experience exhibit in Las Vegas on May 8th (to coincide with the release of J.J. Abram’s new movie) with a new restaurant and retail shop.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/26/new-st...rom-total-film/

J.J. Abrams, director of the upcoming Star Trek reboot movie, clarified his remarks, reported last week, in which he suggested the movie was not necessarily aimed at longtime fans in a panel at WonderCon in San Francisco on Saturday, proclaiming his and his producers' love for Trek fans and assuring the roomful of convention-goers that the movie will be faithful to canon.

Abrams also unspooled the film's new full trailer, which is slated to be released in theaters on March 6 along with Watchmen. The trailer featured about 50 percent new footage, including more looks at some of the images already seen in earlier teaser trailers, a better look at the film's epic visual effects and battle scenes, a new glimpse of Chris Hemsworth as Kirk's father, George, and even a quick shot of Kirk sitting in the captain's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Continue reading: http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/star-treks-ab...etting-flak.php

Thanks for finding the thread for me Tiara -

I must be getting old . . .

Drum roll please . . . . THIS is what I call a trailer!

Holy Shit - Star Trek 2009 - Trailer 3

Somebody tell me what that temp music is from. I hope it's from the film.

Great addition of the Captain Pike stuff. Bruce Greenwood. Fuck yeah.

- TB

The music is actually from Michael Giacchino's score for the movie.

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm a huge Michael Giacchino fan. The work he does on LOST is top shelf, and a very underappreciated aspect of that show.

Loved the trailer. Gives a few things away, but I can't wait to see this, and I can't remember the last time I was this excited to see anything Star Trek related.

Thanks for finding the thread for me Tiara -

I must be getting old . . .

Drum roll please . . . . THIS is what I call a trailer!

Holy Shit - Star Trek 2009 - Trailer 3

Somebody tell me what that temp music is from. I hope it's from the film.

Great addition of the Captain Pike stuff. Bruce Greenwood. Fuck yeah.

- TB

Saw this during "Heroes" tonight (my filthy little heroin addiction). This movie will be bad ass. I've been a Karl Urban fan for some time. Chris Pine has been on my list of cool fuckers since "Alpha Dog". Totally amazing cast and looks like they may actually make a Star Wars fanatic like me dig Trek.

Although I must say that from the trailer I mistook Eric Bana for Paul Schneider (loved Paul in "Assassination of Jesse James and "Lars and the Real Girl"). Eric Bana though...holy crap...a different role for him.

Thanks Mike - I was SO hoping this was Giacchino's score for the film.

I'm ready to buy it NOW.

- tb

Giacchino's the fuckin man. He did most of the Call of Duty scores along with the Medal of Honor scores and my personal favorite of his, the Black score. He does great in video games..... can't wait to see what he does for this.

Guest jimmyp23
Yeah, and even Chris ain't got nuthin on Robert Patrick.

I met him very briefly at the Stander premiere and I was stunned.

That guy's melon is . . . well it's really fucking big.

I never really noticed it on screen, but up-close and personal-like, it was jaw-droppingly impressive.

It must weigh more than a box of Bernie Wrightson's A Look Back hardcovers ;)

As for Brady, he seems to have an abnormally large forehead.

The ladies say he's sexy but if I was a chica, I'd have to take exception to the proportions - nose to crown.

I can never take him real seriously with a helmet on, he just looks like a nimrod.

Doesn't stop him from reigning supreme on the field though.

I'm a Steelers fan so Big Ben is my man. I have a hard time taking him seriously though too because when he's in uniform with a helmet on I can't get past the fact that he looks like Will Farrell. So it's like I've got Frank Ricard from Old School leading my team every Sunday.

Sorry to go off topic ;)

- TB

Laughing harder than aspersions. And it was at the Punisher.

Admin note: Goddamnit JP23, yer right, it was at Punisher premiere.

When you pointed out the size of Patrick's melon I almost shot Diet Coke out of my nostrils in stunned reaction ;)

You looked mighty good in that seersucker BTW. - TB

Just had to jump back in here to REITERATE how excellent the most recent (3rd) trailer for Star Trek is.

If you haven't seen it, CLICK.

- TB

PS - And that last comment by Jimmyp23 probably seems strange and vague to most of you. He is referring to me mentioning Robert Patrick's head, which we both witnessed in it's amazing immensity while at the '04 premier for The Punisher. My bad, not Stander. Sometimes I get these things confused ;)

Thanks Mike - I was SO hoping this was Giacchino's score for the film.

I'm ready to buy it NOW.

- tb

I apologize if this is late, but I just discovered it isn't from Giacchino.

That temp score is actually from a duo of composers called Two Steps from Hell. They specialize in trailer music, and have done quite a lot of composing for big blockbusters this past year.

Sorry to get your hopes up. You can download an mp3 of it, or listen to it right away on YouTube.

I apologize if this is late, but I just discovered it isn't from Giacchino.

That temp score is actually from a duo of composers called Two Steps from Hell. They specialize in trailer music, and have done quite a lot of composing for big blockbusters this past year.

Sorry to get your hopes up. You can download an mp3 of it, or listen to it right away on YouTube.

Way to go -=Sci=-, thanks for clearing that up.

The track "Freedom Fighters" is breathtakingly awesome.

Too bad it won't likely be on the official score.

I hope Giacchino can bring this same flavor, or God willing, even better if that's possible.

Will miss this in the film.

- TB

Just got a call from Brian McQuery who just stepped out of a screening for Star Trek.

He was blown away.

But I'll let him do his own gushing.

Just wanted to share the good news, looks like Star Trek is going to rock.

AWESOME!

I'm seeing it next Sunday late show. Who's with me!

- tb

Just got a call from Brian McQuery who just stepped out of a screening for Star Trek.

He was blown away.

But I'll let him do his own gushing.

Just wanted to share the good news, looks like Star Trek is going to rock.

AWESOME!

I'm seeing it next Sunday late show. Who's with me!

- tb

Brian being behind it is significantly amazing news!!! Looking forward to this one and I wouldn't qualify myself as a Trekkie.

Got to see STAR TREK last night on the Paramount lot thanks to the amazingly talented Rena Owen. It's awesome. It's everything I could want it to be!

Fantastic opening. Great introductions for all of the iconic characters. And they all have great moments. It's paced incredibly well and engaging all the way. It honors the history of trek and has lots of classic moments.

I wanted to go back and watch it again. It's amazing how reverent it is. Then I think about WOLVERINE and how that took a dump on a successful franchise. I grew up a much bigger X-MEN fan than a STAR TREK fan, but of the first two summer blockbusters, I'll be revisiting STAR TREK and hoping that my memory of WOLVERINE is erased.

Long live STAR TREK and a revitalized franchise! God, I love J.J. Abrams.

Well, I was never interested in Star Trek and never really saw any of the movies or TV stuff, although I'm a SciFi/Fantasy geek. I never had the urge to watch it by looking at previews/trailers, it just seemed... kind of campy to me. I remember watching 30 or 40 minutes of Nemesis on TV last year... I got bored and switched the channel.

Anyway, with Abrams directing and the great cast, this will probably be the first Star Trek movie that I will watch completely :P