Tim Bradstreet

Star Trek - 2009

Guest FADoss
When did Abrams say he talked to him? Nothing in the video indicates that they spoke. Shatner says, in quite a friendly way, "Nobody offered me a cameo" and then later "JJ, nobody offered me a part in your movie". Because Shatner knows it all goes through peoples people, and the studio folks could well have lied right to JJ about it.

He also goes out of his way to compliment JJ in several ways. And really, nobody has any real reason to lie about anything, or make shit up, so it's probably just a misunderstanding between producers and agents.

Personally, I want JJ to make an original film next instead of a rebooted 60's TV show (first MI3, not Trek) and what I think would be cool is if he writes in a big action role for Shatner.

Did you listen to the QUOTE from JJ Abrams that this video is a response to?

"Q: How do you react to William Shatner's ire at not having a role in the movie?

A: It was very tricky. We actually had written a scene with him in it that was a flashback kind of thing, but the truth is, it didn't quite feel right. The bigger thing was that he was very vocal that he didn't want to do a cameo. We tried desperately to put him in the movie, but he was making it very clear that he wanted the movie to focus on him significantly, which, frankly, he deserves. The truth is, the story that we were telling required a certain adherence to the Trek canon and consistency of storytelling. It's funny -- a lot of the people who were proclaiming that he must be in this movie were the same people saying it must adhere to canon. Well, his character died on screen. Maybe a smarter group of filmmakers could have figured out how to resolve that."

http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/2008/...s-interview.php

Fred

Guest FADoss

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where I heard about Shatner working with Folds on that album! I finally figured it out. It was a Henry Rollins spoken word thing I watched on video while in Afghanistan. I LOVE HENRY ROLLINS!!!

He had some amazing things to say about working with Shatner on the album.

Fred

Oh, and I Can't Get Behind That!!!

I freakin' love this crap! Rollins is hillarious- I saw him in Athens a couple of years ago, doing his spoken word. The club was packed and everyone was dying laughing the whole time.

More Shatner goodness! Seriously, this is amazing:

Rocketman-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE

"I'm a Doctor, Not a Bricklayer!"

I gotta say I'm most impressed with the Quinto Spock poster, talk about channeling.

That REALLY looks like Nimoy/Spock. Must have missed this particular poster at comicon.

This is the first look I've had. Awesome.

star-trek-20080719104353339.jpg

As for the Entertainment Weekly cover . . . Yuck is all I can say.

Our heroes look pasty and soft. Who shot this? Better yet, who picked this shot?

I could scream when someone comes up with the brilliant idea to add a little sweaty sheen.

The actors look like they just hiked to the shoot and they haven't had breakfast yet.

Pine is going to take some getting used to before I can embrace.

I hope he kicks ass with the performance cause physically (facially), Shatner has him hands down.

CP got that purty boy look. Shatner in the prime of TOS was the real deal.

Quinto looks like he's throwing a sleepy "Blue Steel", ala Zoolander.

ST-geek comment of the day - Pine's hair is definitely NOT Star Fleet regulation ;)

newclassic.jpg

Now THAT (left) is what I call a well lit, well conceived photo (shoot).

Thanks for posting the link Mike!

- TB

When has any Entertainment Weekly cover actually looked good? Quinto looks plastic on it.

Are you sure those are people, and not really big, you know, life-sized dolls? Or maybe good close-ups of regular sized dolls.

Oops, I forgot. Maybe I should say "action figures."

Just what I've always wanted, a real doll of Sylar dressed as Spock.

That's fucking priceless.

- TB

AICN just posted this one up:

ExclusiveQuintoSm.jpg

Still looks very sterile and plastic.

yikes! his hair looks like a prop for DEVO!!!

devo3.jpg

NAW, that's DEFINITELY Spock's hair.

Mark Mothersbaugh fucking stole it! Well, he took The Beatles and Spock and he ran with it!!!

Roddenberry stole Spock's hair from Moe Howard but added the pointy Starfleet regulation sideburns ;)

Somewhere, Pete Rose is thinking someone owes him some royalties.

- TB

CRRRACK THAT WHIP!

Guest AdminGuyX

I saw the trailer on the big screen yesterday, in front of the new Bond flick.

The way it opens, I was sure Michael Bay had a new film coming out I hadn't heard of or something. When the kid says his name, my jaw dropped.

This is going to burn up old school fans with decades of anger. I think this might be the single most despised among die hard fans, yet wildly commercially successful of all the Star Trek films.

Personally, I like the trailer. Someone was going to transform Star Trek someday, I'm just glad it's a writer/director who I have some respect for.

Been hearing about this trailer the last few days. Pretty much everyone I talked to was excited about it.

Thanks for the link Noe -

Hmmm, Going to hold out any judgment for this until I see it.

Definitely am not excited about young JTK in the Vette flashback silliness.

Whatever the point of that is, it's telling us something about the character we already know.

No, no, I get it, it's for all the young people that don't know anything about Kirk yet . . . All those millions of people that never watched TOS.

Gimme a break ;)

No question it looks great. Very curious to see the Vulcan stuff.

Wonder if we'll see young Spock wrestling with his pet Sehlat . . . Cause lord knows, the audience will know nothing about Spock either ;)

Regardless, I'd pay to see this movie just to see Bruce Greenwood play Captain Christopher Pike. Probably get about 2 minutes of that.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Actually Tim, my understanding is that this film basically resets the franchise from zero, and redefines everything, including who these characters are. This is alluded to in the EW article/interview with Abrams.

It's not a prequel, not meant to fit in before TOS, this is a familiar yet different reimagining.

I know how we all love those so much.