Enaira

Jean-Claude Mézières

Ok, many of you may have heard about the movie "Valerian and the city of a thousand planets" from Luc Besson (2017). But I'm not sure if the non french between us know the original comics. Here again, I found them in our family bookshelves around 7-10 years old and I've been dreaming of these foreign planets since. And I must say I was quite disappointed by the movie. The role of Valerian is badly cast. Dane DeHaan is basically a child, while Valerian is a childish man. The whole equipment they are using was modernized in the movie, at the risk of turning into ridicule.

The comics are an excellent mix of fantasy, sci-fi and humor. Laureline has a strong character, one would say... a real woman! She's inspiring!

And now some pictures...

Enjoy!

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

I do have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the movie. Don't get me wrong, it is not a good adaptation of the comic books (but what is?), but  I enjoyed it immensely. I really felt that Luc Besson gave me what has been missing from US blockbusters for many many years now: A sense of wonder. There is so much imagination, so much going on, so much fun to be had. And I really liked the casting of both of them, especially her, and how strong she turns out to be. Yes I have to say I really like that film!

Yes the movie had beautiful images and describes inventive worlds. It has also quite a standard critical view on our world (like Avatar and Fifth element). But as you said... I was expecting it to be closer to the comics and unfortunately it's not. 

I liked her quite ok, but really didn't connect to Valerian. And both are waaaayyy too young.

3 hours ago, Enaira said:

Yes the movie had beautiful images and describes inventive worlds. It has also quite a standard critical view on our world (like Avatar and Fifth element). But as you said... I was expecting it to be closer to the comics and unfortunately it's not. 

I liked her quite ok, but really didn't connect to Valerian. And both are waaaayyy too young.

I watched this film with no preconceptions as I'm not familiar with the comics (sorry, just not my thing) and I think I was half expecting it to be similar to The Fifth Element.  I love that film and have watched it so many times, I think I know it word for word now but Valerian I just couldn't get to grips with - didn't warm to Dane DeHaan on any level, at times I was kinda wishing he'd meet a sticky end just to get him off the screen (bit harsh I know!) and I'm afraid I wasn't keen on Cara Delevigne either so a bit disappointing for me all in all.  The story was okay, but the two leads were too much of a distraction for me.  Sorry! 

Ha ha, poetic! Why is that?

The storyline is basic of course. Bad against good. But what do you hate especially? I liked the look of it very much. 

And maybe just to go back in direction of the topic: what do you like in Valerian that isn't in the Fifth Element? 

You beat me to it again Ariane!!  Was just going to ask the same things 😉. Interesting that we can both like one and not the other, although my aversion to Valerian was really only a casting thing.

Ah right - totally take your point, he was the one thing I could take or leave about it!

Ha ha now I get it. Totally agree. 

Chris Tucker is the Jar Jar Bing of Star Wars.

13 hours ago, Enaira said:

Chris Tucker is the Jar Jar Bing of Star Wars.

hahahahahahaha

Accurate description 😄

I have to say though that everything about the film got on my nerves as far as I remember, it was just too shrill and over the top for my taste. And I found Jovovich's character unbearable. It was just too much kitsch for me.

I liked Valerian much better because it had a dry sense of humour that corresponded very well with the colorful visuals, and I also liked that the leads were so so subdued. 

Of course, the designs in the Fifth Element are gorgeous, so many ideas, so many talented people involved, Moebius, Mézières, Gaultier...

I heard that Prince was originally the first choice to play Tucker's role. Now I would have loved to see THAT! 

18 hours ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Things The Fifth Element has that Valerian does not:

Chris Tucker.

Chris Tucker.

Chris Tucker.

Chris Tucker.

Chris Tucker.

So you're big fan, then? Ha ha ha! 🤭

I really like Fifth Element - don't have a problem with Chris Tucker. I've never seen him in anything else though, so I only know him as Ruby. Yes, he was deeply irritating but wasn't that the point?! And yes, he was completely over the top but given the entire film was so gloriously over the top, I don't see this as problematic. And I say this as someone who really doesn't care for that whole slapstick style of humour. Am totally with you regarding the visuals and design of the film... so fantastic!

6 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Really just a matter of taste, I guess - the film was a HUGE blockbuster in my home country and is held in the highest regard. Uhm, by most people. 🙂

Oh, definitely, and imagine how dull life would be if we all had the same taste... although maybe we wouldn't realise it! 😋

16 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Really just a matter of taste, I guess - the film was a HUGE blockbuster in my home country and is held in the highest regard. Uhm, by most people. 🙂

We’re not going to convert you are we?  Ah well, life would be incredibly boring if we were all the same!  😉