sidewaysgaze

Mutant Chronicles

Thanks for the link krostah and thanks TJ for putting it up on your page. I am soooo excited about this movie. I hope they get a release pretty soon.

Ok, so I just watched the Trailer and here are my thoughts.

Being an avid fan of Jane's, I was as usual happy to see him in a film again.

My reaction to the Trailer is regardless of the above statement very much mixed.

The film is lookin too much like The Chronicles of Riddick which I hated, and which alotta other people hated too. PITCH BLACK was fantastic and had a very different look to it.

This film is sporting that very toned down/interplanetary look that I think isn't the best way to go.

The few pics of the film we'd seen earlier (posted in this thread) did point to that shooting style and look, but I was hoping it'd be grainier and more MAD MAX post apocalyptic lookin.

I guess in the end, this is a sci-fi film shot in 2007 and not 1978.

I'm still lookin forward to it, and perhaps my enthusiasm will increase when I see a better Trailer that doesn't look like someone cut it on a cheap PC editing program.

The few shots of Jane were what I feel made the Trailer any good, and I'm sad to see all the dialogue given to Perlman and Malkovich.

-TL

I liked the trailer okay, but then I liked Chronicles of Riddick okay too, so what do I know. Perlman sounds like he's channeling an Irish monk, which is okay too. I thought it was a good first look and I'm looking forward to seeing more. A bit dark for me to see detail very well, but maybe that's just me.

-skye

Teasers and Trailers don't impress me, they only show very small parts of the story, and since this is going to be a B-movie I expected a B-movie Teaser, Trailer and film and I mean that in a good way.

These folks have the trailer posted, and there is a place for comments - half of which seem to be about the music. Apparently, there are people out there unfamiliar with the concept of using music from other movies in new trailers. Imagine that.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this here in case anyone wants to leave a comment there. I did.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46486

The music in the Teaser I've heard many times and many other Teasers and Trailers for movies do the same thing, but to complain about that..... give me a break.

That teaser was sweet! Can't wait to fuckin see this. I love the darkness.

the teaser is very much an unfinished bag. most of the shots are unfinished, and the 'look' is not finished either - it's basically taken from the editing program as is and given a minor treatment that is in the ball park of what the final film will look like. it is NOT, thankfully, going for the 'Chronicles of Riddick' feel that the teaser somehow woefully suggests.

the CG effects are unfinished.

the teaser was put together for the Cannes market, to sell to foreign buyers, and not really meant for public consumption. foreign buyers are used to seeing less that commercial fare when they are at festivals - being that most films are put on the market before they have the marketing dollars for a professional trailer. hence the unfinished look of the film.

that said, the film still needs work before it's ready for theaters. that's why we're doing the screening at Comicon - to drum up fan support and let buyers know they have a good film available. we need a final pass on the edit, drop about five minutes off the film and clean up the CG work, which is pretty crappy right now. nothing a good editor and two million bucks won't cure!

TJ

Hopefully in the next Trailer they won't make you out to be such a mute!

If there's one thing you're good at, its delivering lines my man.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I gotta say, Perlman is in fine form. When he says "THERE IS STILL HOPE" I got a little bit of a chill. The guy is such a powerhouse.

Being a fan of, and a slave to, digital cinema, I knew from the first frame this was unfinished, and likely unfiltered. It doesn't look entirely color corrected either. That said I DO think it looks pretty good at this stage. The shots look good, well composed, and the trailer gives you a very solid sense of what kind of story you're going to see.

Screening it for fan input is a great way to create buzz, and open the process up to fans in a way I'm not sure other folks have done. I hope it goes well and you guys don't get inundated by asshats. Maybe God will grant me a miracle and I can actually somehow be there to see it.

I'm hopeful. :)

But, I REALLY enjoyed it Tom. As a fan, as a guy jealous of Boyle's talent, and as someone who just really digs this kind of film I want to thank you for sharing it.

It was exciting to finally see some footage. I really love the vibe, the gear, the costumes look great, the dusty feel of the world is pretty damn cool too.

I like the production design and art direction a great deal.

And good for Simon for getting it off the ground and getting it made.

the teaser is very much an unfinished bag. most of the shots are unfinished, and the 'look' is not finished either - it's basically taken from the editing program as is and given a minor treatment that is in the ball park of what the final film will look like. it is NOT, thankfully, going for the 'Chronicles of Riddick' feel that the teaser somehow woefully suggests.

the CG effects are unfinished.

the teaser was put together for the Cannes market, to sell to foreign buyers, and not really meant for public consumption. foreign buyers are used to seeing less that commercial fare when they are at festivals - being that most films are put on the market before they have the marketing dollars for a professional trailer. hence the unfinished look of the film.

that said, the film still needs work before it's ready for theaters. that's why we're doing the screening at Comicon - to drum up fan support and let buyers know they have a good film available. we need a final pass on the edit, drop about five minutes off the film and clean up the CG work, which is pretty crappy right now. nothing a good editor and two million bucks won't cure!

TJ

Thanks for the info, Thomas. The teaser definitely piqued my interest, so I'll be waiting anxiously for the movie. As for the screening at Comic Con, you've got my support.

Mediumfan

There a couple really cool shots of him.

The best is the one where he seems to be sitting on the ground with his back to a wall firing his sidearm at . . . something.

Something? A fucking Mutie to be sure.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Holy shit. That's what I'm talking about.

My ass = kicked.

Jen - YOU ROCK.

Just saw the Russian Trailer.

Thoughts on this are very different from those on the previous one.

Whoever assembled this one, had a much better game plan.

The scenes shown are yes, more interesting. The story therefore seems more driven and above all the focus is placed primarily on the actors rather than the environment - which clearly needs work before a final release.

Jane is looking very reminiscent of Bruce Willis in Luc Besson's The Fifth Element. That's a good thing.

I'm sad in not being able to understand what he was saying, but it is clear to me that his character, Hunter, is the driver of this story. The antihero we will follow when watching it.

Despite the subreal sci-fi setting, much like Mal Reynolds and Korben Dallas, we can identify with this serious loner who sports a firearm.

Much more impressive Trailer.

Now get it in ENGLISH Thomas Jane!!!

-TL

Yes, get it in English.

"Why do the Russians get a trailer so quickly you ask? Well they're actually getting a release on August 7th."

Figures.

movie looks pretty badass, gonna have to check this one out...btw that asian chick was she the one from fast and the furious?

btw that asian chick was she the one from fast and the furious?

Yes that's Devon Aoki, she plays Valerie Duval in Mutant Chronicles.

She was also deadly little Miho in a little film called Sin City.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.