sidewaysgaze

Mutant Chronicles

There's lot of choice on German Amazon for Mutant Chronicles:

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_w?__mk_de...p;x=16&y=18

So, does anybody know if that's the same version of the film like the one which is coming out in the US now? Or is it a different cut?

That would be the European version. I've got the UK DVD&BluRay + Scandinavian DVD&BluRay, they are the same.

Anyway, the US DVD version will probably be out very soon after the premiere (and with a soundtrack on it's way as well).

@Mediumfan: Wasn't the LA premiere moved to the 21st? I think the theatre listings are spankin' fresh and might not be up on the theatres yet.. I dunno. Hope you're able to check it out on the big screen.

@Mediumfan: Wasn't the LA premiere moved to the 21st? I think the theatre listings are spankin' fresh and might not be up on the theatres yet.. I dunno. Hope you're able to check it out on the big screen.

Yes, it was, unfortunately. It would have been cool to get to attend it, but it sounds like it's a private event anyway. Oh, well. I still plan to check it out on the big screen, assuming I can find it playing around here anywhere. It's still not showing up anywhere. It's got an April 24th release date listed, but no theaters where it's actually playing. Hopefully something will be released soon as far as locations.

This is the craziest, most frakked up movie release I have ever seen!

this movie fucking blew my mind. bah! i miss this genre of film so much! thomas jane and ron perlman...it's...it's like....my God it's my own personal heaven, that's what it is. oh it is oh so quotable too. go now and witness this masterpiece!

No current DVD for sale is the same cut as the US version.

That's based on the most recent reliable intel.

As for MC playing . . .

Not sure about that, all I know is I had to skip out of the LA premiere tonight at Mann's and I'm VERY bummed.

Too much goddamn work to get done and deadline tomorrow.

Gonna miss hanging with Jane's brothers who will be representing for our team.

- TB

No current DVD for sale is the same cut as the US version.

That's based on the most recent reliable intel.

I hope the US version will be out on DVD soon.

I'm very curious to see the differences to the German version.

I hope the US version will be out on DVD soon.

I'm very curious to see the differences to the German version.

That will be interesting to compare the two. From what I understand, Simon Hunter made cuts to the U.S. version, right? He actually wanted to trim his film down, compared to other directors who bloat their films for the 'director's cut'. :lol:

This is just a silly aside, but for the longest time I didn't think about the, ummm, similarity between Simon Hunter's name and Mitch Hunter! :lol:

Jen

http://www.perlmanpages.com/bsmovies/mutchronpics.htm

Has this been posted here before?

Jen had this link in her Yahoo group. Some nice screencaps from MC on a Ron Perlman website.

Nope, hasn't been posted before; thanks for adding some stuff that I posted to my TJ 2 Group. I just sometimes don't have the time to then come over here to do a repeat post, so I appreciate your help with this. :)

Speaking of photos, I have no idea now if this has been seen/posted before, but here's a link to 8 more MC pix:

http://www.filmgecko.com/8-images-from-mutant-chronicles/

Jen

Here's a great pic I found today:

9954_2464245127.jpg

Finally got to see this this weekend, on the big screen, where it deserves to be seen. A great movie. Thomas was great in it. Loved the character, as well as Ron Perlman. He was great too. Didn't particularly care for John Malkovich in this one. I like him as an actor, but he just didn't do anything for me in this one. Loved the visual style of this one, and the steampunk aesthetic was really cool!

Great flick!

pjuuuuuh. I was beginning to think there was a conspiracy that someone pretended that it was showing on theatres, lulling us into a false sense of security (ok, that's from a SNL Bush parody. I've been checking the-numbers.com and boxofficemojo.com, but there weren't much happening in regards of MC. Maybe it'll be updated later on.

Where did you see it??? Cali?

I was in CA in 2007 for Coachella, but got to check out some of your awesome theatres.

Yeah, I don't think this movie is showing ANYWHERE in Michigan...damned shame. I really wanted to catch it on the big screen, that's how a movie like this should be seen.

Here's a link to and excerpts from a super-cool review of Mutant Chronicles, plus a U.K. review for the movie, BUT go to that link (the mirror.co.uk one) at your own risk, because there's a spoiler photo of Tom there from the movie!!

"Wielding pistols, rifles, and swords, Hunter brutally kills a plethora of mutants and smokes a whole lot of cigarettes. He's an indestructible, laconic, and sarcastic badass. Jane's raw turn comes off without a hitch, and his portrayal of a familiar character archetype illuminates his talent. That's the beauty of Jane's acting, which contributes to the film's pulse-pounding, sci-fi hell ride."

and

"...Jane channels Clint Eastwood's sardonic bravado, while keeping the action level at Schwarzenegger volume."

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/movi...3693303,00.html

and

"...the whole thing looks great in a grimy, Blade Runner kind of way."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainment/f...15875-20788854/

Jen

I'm not sure if this older (2006) interview online has been mentioned yet (but maybe it has), where Tom is being interviewed by M. J. Simpson, so here is an excerpt and the link:

"The character's a real throwback to the adventure characters from the 1930s and 1940s. A soldier with great boots and cool guns and military outfits. I'm having a ball."

http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/interviews/thomasjane.html

Jen

Finally got to see this this weekend, on the big screen, where it deserves to be seen. A great movie. Thomas was great in it. Loved the character, as well as Ron Perlman. He was great too. Didn't particularly care for John Malkovich in this one. I like him as an actor, but he just didn't do anything for me in this one. Loved the visual style of this one, and the steampunk aesthetic was really cool!

Great flick!

That's so great you finally got to see it - and on the big screen! Yay! Maybe one day it'll get to a part of NJ I'm around. I think it is playing at one theater in NJ...maybe I'll have to go the distance and see it there...

Jen

Yeah, I don't think this movie is showing ANYWHERE in Michigan...damned shame. I really wanted to catch it on the big screen, that's how a movie like this should be seen.

Irish, it looks like it's playing in quite a few places in Michigan. Nighthawk posted this about a page back from Simon Hunter's site.

http://www.simonhunter.com/Simon_Hunter/MC-US-Theaters.html

Sadly no where near me. I was sure the Twin Cities or at least Omaha would get it <_>

Aha. Boxofficemojo reports a $1,6 million foreign income at theaters.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mutantchronicles.htm

And $4,700 in the US so far.

I'm glad it's finally updated at least! I would guess the income for DVD sales and rentals are much higher though.

But I really doubt we'll see a sequel anytime soon.

Irish, it looks like it's playing in quite a few places in Michigan. Nighthawk posted this about a page back from Simon Hunter's site.

http://www.simonhunter.com/Simon_Hunter/MC-US-Theaters.html

Sadly no where near me. I was sure the Twin Cities or at least Omaha would get it <_<

Thanks, got your PM and checked the thread. The closest to me is the Emagine Theatre about 45 miles away...I'll be there!

Here's my review of Mutant Chronicles, kinda dashed off on the ole keypad, while at work, ummm...; no plot spoilers in it; I tried not to get too detailed in that respect. :)

Yes, I’ve finally seen Mutant Chronicles, on that HDNet TV channel, and not on the big screen unfortunately, but at least I saw the whole movie! So I did the Video On Demand thing, where you pay $10 and have a 24-hour window to watch the movie as many times as you want/can during that time period. Silly me (or not), as I looked it up on the TV listings, I saw that it was also available as Mutant Chronicles HD, so I ordered that one, and it said it cost $11, and I didn’t figure out until afterward that the extra $1 was for the ability to view it in HD quality. LOL

Anyway, I thought the movie, overall, was a blast, especially the ending, and I disagree with the vehemence of the negative critics out there who are ragging on the movie. Sure, dialogue is simple and cliché (as well as some of the plot); sure there are stock action characters; sure, some of the action scenes aren’t as spectacular as they *could* be; but you know what? Simon Hunter pulled off the miniatures and matte paintings and green screen effects pretty nicely, IMO.

If you’re looking for a serious outlook, but at times, silly in a fun way, “on-a-mission” action/horror/sci-fi movie with a cool, artful steam-punk look and aesthetic, then look to the Mutant Chronicles.

I think the movie is very well put together in the look and feel and tone (well, despite some soggy dialogue. LOL), artistic in its visual presentation. I don’t understand the critics who say the color scheme is “muddy” or “dark” – well, I mean, yeah, in some parts it is, but that’s because they’re fighting a war in the trenches – and it’s raining – and there’s dirt, you know? Other times it is dark, but what do you expect if you’re rappelling down into the Earth?! It actually makes for a moody, mysterious setting.

If we’re looking at downsides, well, I already mentioned the dialogue, but there are some good to funny passages of speech, some zippy one-liners, and all the performers deliver their lines solidly. I think the movie suffers from a pacing problem and over-explanation of what’s happening, but that happens in a lot of movies. The slow parts are too talky and slow-moving, but, wow, when you get to the action scenes, or the scenes of tension and portent before all hell breaks loose, then now we’re talkin’!

I just love the against-all-odds bravery of the team put together by Ron Perlman’s monk character, the lumbering behemoth “ships” of the sky, and Tom’s (as well as the other characters’) do-or-die determination in the middle and at the end of the movie. I could go on, but I don’t want to reveal too many details about it all. I think the critics “over-think” it too much. If you want a gory at times (you know, the mutants-on-a-killing-spree aspect of it, LOL), slice of sci-fi/action/horror/war movie with stoic characters who are going to fight to the death (guns, knives, swords…), fighting for a greater purpose than even themselves, then this movie’s for you.

Jen

Here's my review of Mutant Chronicles, kinda dashed off on the ole keypad, while at work, ummm...; no plot spoilers in it; I tried not to get too detailed in that respect. :)

Yes, I’ve finally seen Mutant Chronicles, on that HDNet TV channel, and not on the big screen unfortunately, but at least I saw the whole movie! So I did the Video On Demand thing, where you pay $10 and have a 24-hour window to watch the movie as many times as you want/can during that time period. Silly me (or not), as I looked it up on the TV listings, I saw that it was also available as Mutant Chronicles HD, so I ordered that one, and it said it cost $11, and I didn’t figure out until afterward that the extra $1 was for the ability to view it in HD quality. LOL

Anyway, I thought the movie, overall, was a blast, especially the ending, and I disagree with the vehemence of the negative critics out there who are ragging on the movie. Sure, dialogue is simple and cliché (as well as some of the plot); sure there are stock action characters; sure, some of the action scenes aren’t as spectacular as they *could* be; but you know what? Simon Hunter pulled off the miniatures and matte paintings and green screen effects pretty nicely, IMO.

If you’re looking for a serious outlook, but at times, silly in a fun way, “on-a-mission” action/horror/sci-fi movie with a cool, artful steam-punk look and aesthetic, then look to the Mutant Chronicles.

I think the movie is very well put together in the look and feel and tone (well, despite some soggy dialogue. LOL), artistic in its visual presentation. I don’t understand the critics who say the color scheme is “muddy” or “dark” – well, I mean, yeah, in some parts it is, but that’s because they’re fighting a war in the trenches – and it’s raining – and there’s dirt, you know? Other times it is dark, but what do you expect if you’re rappelling down into the Earth?! It actually makes for a moody, mysterious setting.

If we’re looking at downsides, well, I already mentioned the dialogue, but there are some good to funny passages of speech, some zippy one-liners, and all the performers deliver their lines solidly. I think the movie suffers from a pacing problem and over-explanation of what’s happening, but that happens in a lot of movies. The slow parts are too talky and slow-moving, but, wow, when you get to the action scenes, or the scenes of tension and portent before all hell breaks loose, then now we’re talkin’!

I just love the against-all-odds bravery of the team put together by Ron Perlman’s monk character, the lumbering behemoth “ships” of the sky, and Tom’s (as well as the other characters’) do-or-die determination in the middle and at the end of the movie. I could go on, but I don’t want to reveal too many details about it all. I think the critics “over-think” it too much. If you want a gory at times (you know, the mutants-on-a-killing-spree aspect of it, LOL), slice of sci-fi/action/horror/war movie with stoic characters who are going to fight to the death (guns, knives, swords…), fighting for a greater purpose than even themselves, then this movie’s for you.

Jen

Very well put review. I agree on all points, with an addendum that the DVD I have (which is the "unfinished" cut of the movie as released here in Scandinavia) has very bad sound. I have a hard time hearing what they say in many scenes, and subtitles ain't my bag baby :D

Very well put review. I agree on all points, with an addendum that the DVD I have (which is the "unfinished" cut of the movie as released here in Scandinavia) has very bad sound. I have a hard time hearing what they say in many scenes, and subtitles ain't my bag baby :D

:lol: Well, maybe it's okay that you can't hear all the dialogue! That's still my main sticking point with the movie; that it's too talky in places, and some not wonderful words spouting forth...

On a side note, I forgot to mention that in addition to knives, swords, and guns - explosives are also used to great effect. :D

Jen