sidewaysgaze

Mutant Chronicles - SPOILERS inside

I reeeeally want to see the finished movie, but damn I've been waiting years for this movie already! But, I guess I can wait a couple of months/years longer to see the finished movie. :P

I then saw the UK release and nearly cried, my Swedish producers, I was shooting Wallander by then, flew me back to the UK to see it in the cinema at their expense.

I have to admit i really enjoyed the UK release of the film and i thought it was a great B-movie future cult classic but i am really looking forward to the finished version getting released

Here's an email I sent to ********* (I'd like to work again) immediately after seeing MC:-

I’ve waited a few days before posting this because I wanted time to think about it.

I was very fortunate to attend a showing of MC at VUE in Leicester Sq on Saturday, fortunate because I’m filming in Sweden and my producers paid for my 23 hour return journey!

Unfortunately the release in the UK has been a total shambles.

Figures coming back for the weekend will not reflect what the movie could have done if anyone had known that it existed!

The movie opened on the 10th.

The Time out review will be out on the 16th

Total Film & Empire review it in the editions coming out on the 23rd

There was minimal press advertising or placement and a little TV advertising.

The theatres didn’t have posters for the film, screen 1 at Vue Leicester Sq had a poster for Mirrors outside the entrance!

Everybody I have spoken to has said the same thing, they were sitting in an empty theatre.

If I had gone out to get the lowest possible attendance to a released film I can’t think of anything I would have done differently.

By the time the reviews are out and interest is generated the movie will have been pulled from the screens.

What a shambles!

Okay, I just had to look up "VOD" - video on demand - Does that mean that Mutant Chronicles will be available first as an On Demand film for peeps to play on their TV sets/home theater systems, and then it will be released in select cities?

It just gets more 'n' more confusing!

Jen

You would think it would be the other way around, but it looks that way.

The Wagner/Cuban Companies' Magnet Releasing announced today that it has acquired US rights to the sci-fi/action epic, Mutant Chronicles. The film stars Thomas Jane (The Mist), Ron Perlman ("Hellboy" films), Devon Aoki (Sin City) and John Malkovich.

An Edward R. Pressman production, Mutant Chronicles was directed by Simon Hunter and written by Philip Eisner. The film is based on the classic role-playing game that has already inspired card games, video games, novels, comic books and collectible miniatures.

As part of the Wagner/Cuban Companies' Ultra VOD program, Mutant Chronicles will premiere on VOD on Friday, March 27th, 2009, followed by a theatrical release in select cities on Friday, April 24th.

Mutant Chronicles is set in the year 2707, on an unrecognizable Earth where a war is raging between four giant corporations who control the planet as they battle over the planet's dwindling resources. This war is soon rendered irrelevant when an errant bomb shatters an ancient buried seal, releasing a horrific mutant army from its prison deep within the earth. As the mutant scourge threatens human extinction, a squad of ragged soldiers, led by Mitch Hunter (Jane), descends into the earth in a last ditch effort to destroy the mutants and save mankind.

"'Mutant Chronicles' is a blast," said Magnolia Pictures President Eamonn Bowles. "It's an action-packed thriller with a dynamite cast and very impressive production values. We're thrilled to add it to Magnet's slate of quality genre pictures."

"Simon Hunter is an exciting cinematic talent who has created a provocative world for 'Mutant Chronicles,'" said producer Edward R. Pressman. "I see in Simon the rare visionary quality that was evident to me when working with Sam Raimi, Alex Proyas, and Brian De Palma on their early films. 'Mutant Chronicles' is just the beginning for him."

Producers on the film, in addition to Pressman, include Tim Dennison, Peter La Terriere, Stephen Belafonte, and Pras Michel.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51731

Just to give a lil more info about this whole "TV before theater" thing (because, well, at least I didn't understand the situation :lol: ), here's a link to an article that explains it more, with main excerpt here:

"Magnet Releasing has bought the film and will premier it on their

new television channel, a high def on-demand station called Ultra

VOD. The film will premier on March 27th, 2009, one month before the

April 24th 2009 theatrical release date."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mutant-Chro...ters-11466.html

Jen

The first poster is awesome! The second somehow reminds me of Cloverfield... I guess it is the coloring that does it.

Just to give a lil more info about this whole "TV before theater" thing (because, well, at least I didn't understand the situation :lol: ), here's a link to an article that explains it more, with main excerpt here:

"Magnet Releasing has bought the film and will premier it on their

new television channel, a high def on-demand station called Ultra

VOD. The film will premier on March 27th, 2009, one month before the

April 24th 2009 theatrical release date."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mutant-Chro...ters-11466.html

Jen

So what's the angle here? It's interesting and could have merit. But it could also be hare-brained experiment cooked up by by some Josef Mengele of marketing. Please tell me I'm wrong!

I read the following article this morning.

Mutant Chronicles Gets Release Date; Timecrimes DVD Too

Thursday January 8, 2009

© Magnet Mutant Chronicles, the long-awaited sci fi/action/horror hybrid boasting a cast of Thomas Jane, John Malkovich and Ron Perlman, has been picked up by Magnet Releasing, which has been responsible for recent acclaimed releases like Splinter, Let the Right One In and Timecrimes. The film has already been released internationally, but despite its impressive cast, it's had trouble getting distribution in the US. Judging from the trailer, there might be some quality issues, but we shall see when it receives a limited theatrical run starting April 24.

Speaking of Timecrimes, the DVD release date has been set for March 31. Mark your calendars.

http://horror.about.com/b/2009/01/08/mutan...mes-dvd-too.htm

What drives me up the wall is the "limited theatrical run" comment. What does that mean? You only get to see it on the big screen if you live in New York, L.A. and Chicago?

What drives me up the wall is the "limited theatrical run" comment. What does that mean? You only get to see it on the big screen if you live in New York, L.A. and Chicago?

Only if you're a pocket-sized midget with long blonde hair, blonde facial hair and a grin that kills; then you'll get to see it :lol:

Nah, it sounds like weirdness to me man...

poster01.jpg

In Korea, Mutant Chronicles released in 8, January with the name of 'Mutant DarkAge'.

I don't know why they changed the name of the movie.

I will go to see the movie tomorrow.

Really exciting.

I feel interested about steampunk. :rolleyes:

That makes me excited.

And Korean critics says Tom's acting is so great.

I already knew that his acting is good, but It makes me excited, too.

what do you guys think about this movie?

Has this been released in the US? I am in the UK and haven't seen any promo's for it yet. Is it being released in the UK??? Will definately watch it if it comes out here, otherwise I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD and order it from the US!

Has this been released in the US? I am in the UK and haven't seen any promo's for it yet. Is it being released in the UK??? Will definately watch it if it comes out here, otherwise I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD and order it from the US!

it came out in october in the UK with only a couple of very late night tv spots so im not surprised you missed it the UK dvd should be out the 16th of february

Well, it hasn't been released legally in the U.S. From what I understand based on online news sources, the movie will first be shown on Video On Demand, but who knows who gets this service?!, starting March 27th, and then there will be a "limited theatrical release" (that k-skye mentioned was said in an article), April 24th, and once again, who knows what "limited" means, as in what theaters and how many theaters...

I still don't know if the movie has actually been "finished"!... :huh:

Jen

poster01.jpg

In Korea, Mutant Chronicles released in 8, January with the name of 'Mutant DarkAge'.

I don't know why they changed the name of the movie.

I will go to see the movie tomorrow.

Really exciting.

I feel interested about steampunk. :rolleyes:

That makes me excited.

And Korean critics says Tom's acting is so great.

I already knew that his acting is good, but It makes me excited, too.

what do you guys think about this movie?

Please let us know what you think of the movie once you see it! :D That's so great that you're going to see Mutant Chronicles. I'm so jealous! :P

Jen

it came out in october in the UK with only a couple of very late night tv spots so im not surprised you missed it the UK dvd should be out the 16th of february

Thanks Jay! I will make it my business to buy it!

F6199-00.jpg

this is another poster of Mutant Chronicles[Mutant DarkAge] Korean ver.

I was going to watch that today, but My sister has broke the promise. but I will watch that in this week.

no it isnt. looks... whats the word? poor. this is the movie thomas jane has after the mist??? bummed. killshot, now that looks good (mickey rourke)