sidewaysgaze

Mutant Chronicles - SPOILERS inside

Just heard back from Richard Wells.

Here's what he had to say regarding the release of his Mutant Chronicles score -

"We are working on a score release for as soon as possible, and at least in time for the US launch. Unfortunately any deal relies on the investors and not me. I would just like to see the music out there. But it is good news about Magnolia, and makes everything more likely. I'm right in the middle of doing a six hour drama series and then another movie, but I will try to remember to let you know if there are any updates."

I'll be checking in with Richard periodically for the latest info on this.

I gotta check out more of his work.

Very friendly, affable cat.

- TB

Just heard back from Richard Wells.

Here's what he had to say regarding the release of his Mutant Chronicles score -

"We are working on a score release for as soon as possible, and at least in time for the US launch. Unfortunately any deal relies on the investors and not me. I would just like to see the music out there. But it is good news about Magnolia, and makes everything more likely. I'm right in the middle of doing a six hour drama series and then another movie, but I will try to remember to let you know if there are any updates."

I'll be checking in with Richard periodically for the latest info on this.

I gotta check out more of his work.

Very friendly, affable cat.

- TB

Thanks for the update

Wow Im just happy to hear a realistic release date! IMDB really needs 2 update that because i kept looking for any sign of a release, but nothin. :rolleyes:

Will that date change? Sooner the better. :)

Simon Hunter tells me he is now working on finishing the edit of the film. great news. we're still waiting on word from Magnolia just what there plans are for the April release. TJ

WTG!

Simon Hunter tells me he is now working on finishing the edit of the film. great news. we're still waiting on word from Magnolia just what there plans are for the April release. TJ

Will the finished version be released as some kind of special edition or directors cut DVD in the UK

I'm really excited to know this film will justly receive the final touches it deserves. I saw it SD Comicon and really enjoyed it, despite some occasional simplified CGI. The story is there, the content is engaging, the cast is fantastic, and absolutely worth going to the theater for some good entertainment.

I pray to god this thing does get finished and distributed properly. I'll start saving for the tickets and the babysitter money right after I blow my current savings on MBV. Dare I hope that both these flicks turn up in my minor market?

Good news!

Well, I hope that they will release the finished version here in Austria on DVD as well. They already released the unfinished version (2 versions actually, one that's "Uncut" ^^), but I haven't got it yet, because I don't wanna see that flawed version...

On the 18th of February it's coming out on DVD here in Norway.

Here's the DVD cover:

ImageScalerCAMF7IOR.jpg

Yeah, it will be released all over Scandinavia on February 18th 2009. That is the cover they will use here as well.

Let's just hope it will be the completed version *fingers crossed*

The movie will premiere in the US on April next year. And THAT will definitely be the finished version. But anything before that on DVD? I really doubt it. You need to take things like DVD pressing, shipping out to distributors etc in account. Let's say that the movie is finished edited in say.. a month? That only leaves one month for the other stuff...

I HOPE it will be the official one though. But again, if an official version is released on DVD before the US premiere? It will be leaked to the web before you can say 'flying pigs'. And it would be much wiser to have something "new" and maybe even promote the movie being Directors Cut or something. This movie has probably closer to two million downloads (or way more) now, being a "hit" on the pirate sites.. Though two million is nothing compared to 150 million living in the US. So it's basically a small percentage if you look at it like that. If it gets a proper distribution on DVD, it will sell heaps of copies. Thomas Jane, Ron Perlman, John Malkovich on the cover is reason enough for that. Well known actors that normal people (who don't download) will pick up easily on the dvd stands. If they like sci-fi horror is a different matter...

SPOILER!!!!! kind of.. not any plot spoilers though, just my general impression of MC.

I couldn't wait and succumbed, seeing the leaked version, and I loved it. Some moments in the movie made my jaw drop and I honestly got moved/lump in my throath at one point. I can see that the Thomson Viper camera is very, very good. And Geoff Boyle/Simon Hunter has done a brilliant job on the camera. They always try to push themselves and almost every scene is different/innovative. It makes the movie look easily like a $80mill flick. You can tell that Hunter has been working his ass off on preparing this. My own personal view on it is that MC destroys movies like Transformers/AVP1/AVP2. For a sci-fi fan like me, this is a movie I'll be watching many times. And I'm getting the DVD in Scandinavia even though it's "not finished". As some people have said before, it just needs a bit of tightening up. I heard some of the editing were made after test screenings... and I kind of "knew" where those re-edits were while watching.. small stuff like that spoiled some of it. I would maybe recommend more voice-over or even do like Oliver Stone for Alexander (DVD version 3?) and use some easy text, telling time or location. Cheap and easy, can help the viewer knowing "where he is". Movies that popped to mind while watching were The Crow, Dark City and Pitch Black, in regards of the feel/look that is. Just my two kroner though.

Here's hoping for a US theatre cinema success and/or an insane rental marked and DVD sale success for MC. So that we'll get MC:2 with a budget of $40 mill+ ;)

The Sci-Fi Channel continues to flex its muscles in the acquisitions market. According to Fangoria, the network picked up The Mutant Chronicles, starring Thomas Jane (The Mist), and Eric Red's supernatural thriller 100 Feet with Famke Janssen. Both films played various venues and festivals throughout 2008. If correct, Fangoria's report says both films are slated to air possibly in June.

Directed by Simon Hunter, The Mutant Chronicles is an FX-heavy sci-fi horror adventure also starring Ron Perlman, John Malkovich, Devon Aoki and Anna Walton. A full plot synopsis is here. 100 Feet, meanwhile, finds Janssen under house arrest and fighting off the malevolent spirit of her abusive dead husband.

We'll keep you posted as more info is available on these releases.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=8990

Written by Tony Timpone

Tuesday, 23 December 2008 12:04

We got comments from Eric Red...

FANGORIA has learned that two high-profile genre features, Simon (DEAD OF NIGHT) Hunter’s THE MUTANT CHRONICLES and Eric (BODY PARTS) Red’s 100 FEET, have been acquired for broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel, largely bypassing theatrical exposure. MUTANT CHRONICLES will likely air in June 2009, with 100 FEET set for around the same period.

The futuristic thriller MUTANT CHRONICLES, helmed in the UK and starring genre stalwarts Thomas (THE MIST) Jane, Ron (HELLBOY) Perlman and Sean (DOOMSDAY) Pertwee, may garner a limited theatrical release this winter from producer Ed (THE CROW) Pressman. The film, based on the video game and comic books, has already played in numerous European cities and festivals (including the prestigious Toronto fest this past fall). Hunter shot the ambitious film largely via greenscreen techniques, à la SIN CITY, 300 and THE SPIRIT. For Fango’s positive review, go here.

If an indie company comes along at the 11th hour, 100 FEET may find a few big-screen playdates prior to its Sci Fi debut. The story of a woman terrorized by the ghost of her abusive husband stars Famke (X-MEN) Janssen, Michael (FURNACE) Paré and Ed (GOSSIP GIRL) Westwick. “This is tragic, and the film deserved better,” Red tells Fango. “There were two domestic theatrical distribution offers on 100 FEET, including Magnolia. Ghost House also really wanted to take the picture. A Sci Fi Channel release down the line is great—it’s a fine network—but this film deserves a commercial shot in the theaters.

“It is doubly disappointing,” he continues, “because the film played well in its several festival screenings and the audiences were very responsive. What is so maddening is we had distributors ready to release the film theatrically. It came down to continuous financial mismanagement by the producers, them wanting to make a few more bucks and not doing what was best for the film. I fought very hard for months to get everyone to do the right thing, but ultimately I don’t own the negative. I hope that over time, people discover 100 FEET, as they have my other films, which usually had to overcome distribution issues.”

In other Sci Fi acquisitions news, the cable also picked up Fango favorite SPLINTER (see review here) for airing next year.

Source: http://www.fangoriaonline.com/home/news/9-...-to-sci-fi.html

But MC WAS picked up by Magnolia for distribution so there is a good chance it will get a theatrical release - wide or limited we don't know.

And I have to agree with Nighthawk. It's more than doubtful that the Euro DVD releases will be the final cut of Mutant Chronicles. Expect to see there what everyone else has already seen. Or wait and save your $ for that final cut ;)

Too bad about 100 Feet. I know there was good audience reaction. Sounds like Eric Red's film done got fucked.

- tb

Geoff Boyle/Simon Hunter has done a brilliant job on the camera. They always try to push themselves and almost every scene is different/innovative.

I've stayed out of this up until now :-)

After 10 years of doccos and Music Videos, then 20 years of commercials and music videos I then got to shoot my first movie.

I put everything I knew in to it, I actually gave a shit.

I then saw the UK release and nearly cried, my Swedish producers, I was shooting Wallander by then, flew me back to the UK to see it in the cinema at their expense.

It was incredibly good of them but I wish that they hadn't.

I'm looking forward to an updated version, SH has very clear ideas as to what is needed.

I'm afraid I become more and more disillusioned as I do more films.

I loved doing Dark Country with Tom & Tim and would love to work with them again.

Streetfighter was great and Wallander has been very different.

the thing is, the politics are going to kill me :-)

Ah Hell, I think MC is a great B movie, that's all it was ever meant to be.

I really shouldn't post after coming back from a pub in a village called Coffinswell!

Bless you Geoffrey -

And no, you really SHOULD have posted regardless of the amount of Vino you've ingested ;)

Everyone appreciates that kind of honesty.

You have every right to be disconcerted by the powers that be theatrically releasing a rough cut of this film you worked so OBVIOUSLY hard on.

Anyone in the know can see through to what you guys are attempting to do.

Simon has been back in the editing room thanks to Magnolia picking this thing up. That at least is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully they will spend a little more to finish up some of the other things that need a nip and a tuck.

We've spoken very loud about it here - Releasing Mutant Chronicles in its present rough stage throughout Europe seems an act of complete barbarity.

That decision then spawns a hailstorm of mixed or often disparaging reviews which cannot but hurt any honest release down the line.

But do not despair GB, there are also some reputable people in this business who actually do give a toss.

The trick is always to find them and work with them ;)

Hopefully you stick with it long enough to see what happens when everyone is on the same page. That can be glorious.

Next stop for us is Devil's Commandos!

xoxo - TB

so many people poured their heart and soul into this thing and i totally sympathise with you geoff. i'm pretty sure we all knew it was a b-movie but we wanted to make a UNIQUE b-movie. It was certainly ambitious. I think the train may have run of the tracks but there's still a chance to get it back on the rails.

I'm really looking forward to dark country and had a fantastic experience working with tommy boy on that one. what the fuck is going on with it?!

roll on devil's commandos! I'd be there like a shot if i had a chance to work with my raw brothers again.