sidewaysgaze

Mutant Chronicles - SPOILERS inside

...and another review.

There are plot spoilers in the review though, so read at your own risk:

"...mutants, swords, guns - Mutant Chronicles provides all you could ask for in a sci-fi fantasy picture."

and

"...Jane specially lives up to the iconoclastic role of his character..."

http://www.popjournalism.ca/magazine/2008/...ant-chronicles/

Jen

Still another review, although this one is a balance of good and bad criticism (while mentioning "our dashing hero, played by Thomas Jane") and contains MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS, so READ AT YOUR OWN RISK:

http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2008/10/...TANT-CHRONICLES

Jen

Just noticed that the age limit for Mutant Chronicles here in Sweden is VERY disturbing! On this page the age limit is said to be 11 years (which is the equivalent of PG in the US I think). That means that it must've been EXTENSIBLY cut down on the blood n' gore parts. It is sad to see, truly sad.

Here's another short blogger review of Mutant Chronicles. Minor plot spoilers, so proceed with caution:

"...movie is filled with non stop action and it never got boring."

http://www.freeky8.com/2008/11/the-mutant-chronicles-review/

Jen

The Mutant Chronicles is out on DVD in Germany (take a look), which I think is pretty weird! :)

It is a "limited edition" release with a tin box.

Only Ron Perlman is listed under the title??? Annoying.

Scroll down and watch the trailer in German. I wonder how many languages this has been translated into now.

Only Ron Perlman is listed under the title??? Annoying.

Scroll down and watch the trailer in German. I wonder how many languages this has been translated into now.

You'd think they'd have Tom listed, since he has top billing. Danmed amazon ;)

So, does this mean there's a finished version?

No JWeb, unfortunately it means that the studio is releasing the movie in Europe as is, a rough cut.

The only upside to this is that the Euro releases may help finance a finished cut stateside.

But somehow I doubt it. I think the $ guys have abandoned this one and are trying to milk what they can from what they have.

The only hope for a finished cut here is Ed Pressman.

Stay strong Ed.

- TB

Yeah, Mr Pressman can hopefully bring back the Light of the Cardinal (i.e. the head of the Brotherhood in the RPG) to our souls, and to those tainted souls out there (read: heretics, also from the RPG) that have seen the rough cut illegally...

Maybe we'll see a "director's cut"/"special edition" release a few years from now.. *shrug*

No JWeb, unfortunately it means that the studio is releasing the movie in Europe as is, a rough cut.

The only upside to this is that the Euro releases may help finance a finished cut stateside.

But somehow I doubt it. I think the $ guys have abandoned this one and are trying to milk what they can from what they have.

The only hope for a finished cut here is Ed Pressman.

Stay strong Ed.

- TB

I don't think they will get much $. The reviews in german amazon are negative, discouraging people to purchase the DVD. :(

Guest AdminGuyX
unfortunately it means that the studio is releasing the movie in Europe as is, a rough cut.

It just chaps my ass, what they've done to this movie.

:wacko: It's stupid.

This thing seems to get worse and worse. I feel bad for the cast and crew. You would think that at the very least they could pour some money into getting the effects done, that way even if it ends up on DVD (which I'm hoping it does not) the reveiws will not kill the sales. MC might not be the summer blockbuster that the $$ people were looking for, but at least it has "cult" status (or will), which will lead to profit donw the line.

This movie will be entering the Hallowed Halls of my Collection as soon as it becomes available. I hope to hell this movie does well, but even if it doesn't, that doesn't spoil the joy I had in watching it.

Here's a review from the Taiwan Times, and it looks like the movie came out in some form in Taiwan on November 14 (!). The review has both negative and positive criticism of the movie, but I loved this line: "Thomas Jane, who has a brooding and muscular presence that is more than adequate for his role as the main mutant executioner."

Link is here:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archi...1/14/2003428590

Jen

Here's a review from the Taiwan Times, and it looks like the movie came out in some form in Taiwan on November 14 (!). The review has both negative and positive criticism of the movie, but I loved this line: "Thomas Jane, who has a brooding and muscular presence that is more than adequate for his role as the main mutant executioner."

Link is here:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archi...1/14/2003428590

Jen

Thanks, Jen! I love that part as well, funny but also quite accurate! ;)

I know, wth? Although I should avoid the IMDB entirely, I have noticed some posts about people seeing MC and their opinions ... I keep telling myself, It's not finished. It's not finished.

I keep telling myself, It's not finished. It's not finished.

So it is your voice I keep hearing in my head when I see that too :P

So it is your voice I keep hearing in my head when I see that too :P

What's aggravating is that even film critics don't acknowlege this in their reviews, like that Taiwan Times one! :angry:

Jen

What's aggravating is that even film critics don't acknowlege this in their reviews, like that Taiwan Times one! :angry:

Jen

But a DVD was already released, so why are people supposed to know that it is an unfinished version? Is there any disclaimer? No.

I think releasing the rough cut was a bad, bad decision. :(

got a call from ed Pressman a few days ago = looks like MAGNOLIA FILMS will be giving MC a theatrical release here in the good 'ol USA.

as soon as i find out whether or not this means that they will be finishing the film for us, i'll let y'all know. the plan is to put the film out in APRIL '09. TJ

Prayers finally answered...

Well, those prayers will REALLY be answered if Magnolia sinks a little dough into this film in order to make the necessary story, pacing, and visual tweaks the film deserves.

Good news that it's been picked up, but unless it's finished in the process then all is for naught and we'll get the same unfinished rough cut as the rest of the world.

Fingers crossed.

- TB

will the the score get a worldwide release when the film comes out america

That's a great question Jay.

I just sent a message to Mutant Chronicles composer, Richard Wells, in hopes that he can shed some light on this for us.

I'll touch base with Simon Hunter as well to see if he has any information.

Let you all know what I find out.

- TB

Good to hear about the theatrical release here. Though being Magnolia it will most likely end up being limited release, I only hope it plays near me.