sidewaysgaze

Mutant Chronicles - SPOILERS inside

That was hilarious Tim. And that IS a good question. Why would they release an unfinished product? Doesn't seem so smart, but of course we don't know the whole story either.

That was hilarious Tim. And that IS a good question. Why would they release an unfinished product? Doesn't seem so smart, but of course we don't know the whole story either.

Yeah, it is very strange indeed. You think that there would be a disclaimer (or something) on the packaging somewhere.

European audiences are not stupid. I don't see the logic of releasing the unfinished MC on DVD without letting folks know what it is they're getting.

I guess I have to take into consideration that if the consumer is not informed of it's state of un-finish then why should anyone expect it to be reviewed fairly?

I'd really like to know why this happened, and why there is no disclaimer, or is there?

Anyone got it on DVD?

Tom - Do you know anything about this?

- TB

I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but after a 'quick' search of all major online outlets in England (HMV, Zavvi, Amazon, Play.com, LoveFilm etc..), I didn't find Mutant Chronicles for sale on DVD anywhere.

Must just be continental Europe or is this all just an urban myth perhaps?

This is one weird situation.

I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but after a 'quick' search of all major online outlets in England (HMV, Zavvi, Amazon, Play.com, LoveFilm etc..), I didn't find Mutant Chronicles for sale on DVD anywhere.

In any case, not my home either.

Ciao,

here in Italy we hope to see Mutant Chronicles in Jan 2009.

http://www.warnervillage.it/Prossimamente_...0814192065.aspx

^__^

Aaaahhh !!! The France is not far, the France is not far !!! lol

Yeah, it is very strange indeed. You think that there would be a disclaimer (or something) on the packaging somewhere.

European audiences are not stupid. I don't see the logic of releasing the unfinished MC on DVD without letting folks know what it is they're getting.

I guess I have to take into consideration that if the consumer is not informed of it's state of un-finish then why should anyone expect it to be reviewed fairly?

I'd really like to know why this happened, and why there is no disclaimer, or is there?

Anyone got it on DVD?

Tom - Do you know anything about this?

- TB

this should NOT be out on DVD anywhere! Christ. why are people reviewing the damn film when it's not even finished, AND taking it as if they are watching a finished product AND not even mentioning the FACT that they are seeing the film ILLEGALLY!!!!

no two ways about it. all these assholes are reviewing the film in an illegal capacity, and talking about it like they are official fucking purveyers of sanctity.

i don't claim the film to be a masterpiece - even when it's done. but shit like this i think will pretty much kill this film's chances of ever getting done. we need financing for the last few FX and editing, and it's gonna be tough to get it with every damn mook on the web seeing the film already. what's the point?

why are people reviewing the damn film when it's not even finished, AND taking it as if they are watching a finished product AND not even mentioning the FACT that they are seeing the film ILLEGALLY!!!!

I expect that they don't actually know they are watching an unfinished cut. Obviously they know what they are doing is illegal and unethical though, so they have no excuse/defence on that front. It would be interesting to hear some of the reviewers explain where they managed to see the rough cut of the film, either they'd have to claim their reviews were fiction or implicate themselves in illegal filesharing.

The internet is the internet, it's a breeding ground for unethical acts and that's just something that can't be changed. Personally I think the question people should be asking is how did the pirates get a copy of the 'Rough Cut' in the first place? Stopping initial leaks is far more pragmatic than trying to regulate the internet (in the short term).

Overall it's all a real shitty situation, as it not only hurts the people who worked so mard on the film, but it also hurts those of us who are waiting to (hopefully) see Mutant Chronicles in the cinema, sooner rather than months down the line.

I am hoping that the movie won't crash and die due to all this f'ckup shit that is going on with the leaked version. I am too looking forward to see it in the theatre, but it might not show here in Sweden. Some dates say October 31st, but no theatre whose website I have scoured thoroughly has any confirmation of that date, or even any other date. Makes me both mad and sad at the same... Grrr <_< *sob* :o Grrr <_< *sob* :o

I read in a magazine french : "MC should be released in France in 2009, if everything goes well because the film is in a drawer since 2006."

I'd say ANY and all release dates that are reported should be treated with scepticism since the movie is not yet finished.

Tom suggests that there is no official DVD release yet for Europe or anywhere else.

Since Pressman is looking for further financing to complete the film I'd say ANY reports at this stage of a theatrical or DVD release of this film are premature.

I hesitated earlier to implicate the "plaintiff" or other folks who had seen the rough cut of any wrongdoing since I had no idea whether or not a DVD was released in Europe.

If it's true, and all this negative criticism that is being heaped on Mutant Chronicles is the byproduct of illegal downloading of the rough cut then the very act of reviewing this unfinished film pursuant to illegal P2P file sharing is reprehensible.

Also, The Chinese have made their move too. A fiend of mine who lives in Beijing brought me an illegal black market DVD of Mutant Chronicles to Comicon, which he purchased at one of the thousands of illegal back-room businesses that are rampant throughout China. I showed the DVD to the Pressman's and Tom and they were, in a phrase, not amused. I think it's a pretty poor state of affairs that sees ANYONE benefiting from the film at this stage when the producers and creators have yet to see a dime in return.

When the topic of P2P file sharing came up here a while back I checked out one of the main P2P search engines to see how heavily MC was being passed around.

I monitored this for about 2 weeks. During the course of that 2 weeks, based on the numbers I saw there were roughly 250,000 illegal downloads.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get those folks to the theater?

Implementing a way to stop the leaks in the first place is all important, but in this case it's really too late for that now.

And honestly, there are so many ways this stuff can fall into the wrong hands.

It only takes ONE disreputable son of a bitch to undermine the entire thing.

And the fact that it is "out there" does not justify the act of stealing.

I know, it's like being in a crowd and taking a handful of someone else's money and throwing it in the air.

Can you blame the mob for diving in to grab what they can?

I say yes, for a mob it is, looking to slake their thirst for entertainment by any means necessary.

Some of you reading this have downloaded Mutant Chronicles illegally. Even more of you illegally download as a regular practice.

Don't check your conscience at the door to opportunity.

- TB

The novelization of Mutant Chronicles by Matt Forbeck comes out on Amazon.com September 30th. It can be preordered, but I'm going to wait until later in the month to order it. Then I can read the book and imagine the movie in my head.

It would be nice to see the finished product on the big screen one of these days.

Pre-ordered the book. I am hoping for a simultaneous release here in Sweden, though the store I pre-ordered from imports foreign stuff as well.

Looking forward to getting it. Remembering rumors that there was going to be a series based on the movie. Did I smoke something back then? I

remember the old "Golgotha" comic series. Really damn cool!

Also, The Chinese have made their move too. A fiend of mine who lives in Beijing brought me an illegal black market DVD of Mutant Chronicles to Comicon, which he purchased at one of the thousands of illegal back-room businesses that are rampant throughout China. I showed the DVD to the Pressman's and Tom and they were, in a phrase, not amused. I think it's a pretty poor state of affairs that sees ANYONE benefiting from the film at this stage when the producers and creators have yet to see a dime in return.

- TB

Something I forgot to mention, the illegal DVD I speak of above is no cheap piece of shit quickie knockoff with crap packaging.

It's slicker than snot, cardboard foldout with very high quality printing, spot varnishes on the photo graphics, etc. The surprising thing was that it featured artwork which had only several weeks prior been approved. It looks as good or better than anything you could buy over here. Even the DVD itself had very nice graphics printed on the surface and was well done. Normally bootlegs are pretty ass when it comes to this stuff which is what made it all the more frustrating. The only real clue to to the "bootleg" nature of the product was the fake credits block they added on the back cover which is rather hilarious. It's Mutant Chronicles with a credit block from Music And Lyrics, so the stars here are Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. However, clearly printed on the front and also on the inside are the correct credits. The DVD itself is contained in a separate slip case, also printed very nicely, with it's own cool graphics. It features the logo of the supposed bootlegger company "Huoyue".

- TB

True bastardism from their side!!! Ruining it for the rest of us. I have been reading about how people have downloaded the movie and seen it and are now complaining of how bad it is that it does not make it to the theatre. Well, it's their own F'CKING fault!! I feel like tearing them a new one just for ruining it all for us who want no part in piracy (only on the High Seas though, Under Jolly Roger!! :lol: ).

That review can only be based on a viewing of the unfinished rough cut, which can hardly be called a fair assessment.

OK, maybe fair for where the film stands now, but it's been stated by Simon Hunter, Ed Pressman, and everyone who's had anything to do with this film that it's simply not a finished work yet. Everyone involved KNOWS the film as it stands has problems. Problems that WILL be addressed provided they can dig up a bit more money.

If that never happens and the film ends up being released as is then fine everyone, take your shots.

Do these reviewers know what it is they are watching? They must not because nowhere in any of these pre-release reviews does it ever state that what they are reviewing is an unfinished rough cut. As I've said before in this thread, it's just outright unfair to judge this film as it currently stands. The million or so dollars they need to complete the film could change a lot - The nip/tuck of the editing, the film's opening sequence among many other things both artistic and narrative. The final result could be something these disappointed reviewers may end up liking. In fact, I'd bet on it.

Now I'm still massively curious, did all these people bent on judging the film get a copy of the movie legitimately or did they illegally download it?

If they obtained their copy legally then I gotta ask myself why would any of the financial entities involved make it available to reviewers in it's current state without some kind of disclaimer making mention of the film's unfinished state?

Maybe TJ can shed some light on that.

- TB

That review can only be based on a viewing of the unfinished rough cut, which can hardly be called a fair assessment.

OK, maybe fair for where the film stands now, but it's been stated by Simon Hunter, Ed Pressman, and everyone who's had anything to do with this film that it's simply not a finished work yet. Everyone involved KNOWS the film as it stands has problems. Problems that WILL be addressed provided they can dig up a bit more money.

If that never happens and the film ends up being released as is then fine everyone, take your shots.

Do these reviewers know what it is they are watching? They must not because nowhere in any of these pre-release reviews does it ever state that what they are reviewing is an unfinished rough cut. As I've said before in this thread, it's just outright unfair to judge this film as it currently stands. The million or so dollars they need to complete the film could change a lot - The nip/tuck of the editing, the film's opening sequence among many other things both artistic and narrative. The final result could be something these disappointed reviewers may end up liking. In fact, I'd bet on it.

Now I'm still massively curious, did all these people bent on judging the film get a copy of the movie legitimately or did they illegally download it?

If they obtained their copy legally then I gotta ask myself why would any of the financial entities involved make it available to reviewers in it's current state without some kind of disclaimer making mention of the film's unfinished state?

Maybe TJ can shed some light on that.

- TB

Tim,

This is an awkward one, as you always have to play the game of trying not to alienate critics, but they could always smile and dial and force retractions. They are, after all, reviewing pirated copies of a copyright protected piece that is not yet complete. In fact, they are doing material harm to a commercial entity by publishing critical reviews of this unfinished work causing grievious harm to its financial potential. Ugly situation for the reviewer and his publisher.

Joe

What an a$$!! That review sucked. My cat could do a better review :)

If people get paid to unleash so much bs, then the world deserves an armageddon, or something... Or maybe a machine from outer space, turning them into small smurfs ;)

I am so hoping they will receive some funding for the completion of the movie. Does anyone know how they are fairing? Does it even look bright on the horizon? I am concerned

deeply... Will get the book any day now though.