Geoff

Real Men Documentary

When I spoke to Hasko early October he mentioned a provisional airing date in March... but since I'm an optimist I check regularly the Arte programs. Hope dies last!

OK everybody's probably tired of hearing about it by now, but here goes:

ARTE have moved REAL MEN to their festive season programming and are promoting it as a highlight which is nice.

The definite air date is

December 29th, 22:15 (10:15pm)

I am very sorry for all of this constant confusion, but I believe I hate it even more than you might 😄

Anyway, I hope some of you will see it, it'll also be online for a week after that day (probably need VPN to break their code but who hasn't?).

All the best!
Hasko

Fantastic! Awesome! Amazing!

I'll be in Paris at that time with TV access to Arte (I don't have TV programs at home...)

So glad they moved it forward in the planning. 

Oh cool!!!! great news. 

Sooo looking forward to tomorrow evening!

PSX_20191228_083213.jpg

4 hours ago, Enaira said:

Sooo looking forward to tomorrow evening!

PSX_20191228_083213.jpg

Lucky girl - promise you’ll let us know all about it!  😁

I'm lucky that's true. But I guess it would be wrong to tell everything. At some point you'll watch it as well !

The video is available here for a few days, but probably only watchable from (parts of) Europe. I'll wait until tonight to see it "live"...

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/047109-000-A/real-men/

Hey Hasko, 

That was -again- a very enjoyable and beautiful documentary! How cool you get to create all these images and stories. I learned a lot, of course, and enjoyed meeting some "old friends". 

Where to start without giving too much away...? 
I can't divulge the content. 

But I enjoyed very much the form/style. 

1/ The recurrence of the "white screen" interviews at crucial times in the narration - it punctuates the chapters in the story. 

2/ I loved the close ups to introduce the various stars. It creates an intimacy which is needed to feel like we enter into a dialogue with them, as if they were telling the story for us. It is at the same time giving room to show their fragility/ human nature. Amplified by the unsharp ending closeup to say "goodbye". 

3/ Excellent idea to not interview any of the named models like Schwarzenegger, Van Damm, Lee, Stallone, Eastwood ! 

4/ Jürgen Prochnow... just wow. Thank you. Did you see the "Zimmer frei" program where C. Westermann would be the sonar in the submarine (crouching under the table saying beep on a regular basis wearing a silly hat) while Götz would throw water buckets at her? Exhilarating... 

5/ I felt uncomfortable only once with some "whining sounds" during an interview. Was it J. Prochnow? To recreate the submarine ambiance? I don't remember exactly and need to rewatch 🙀

6/ I absolutely need to watch the movie Ninja with Scott Adkins: the two scenes you're showing are breaking the mold and made us curious to discover the rest! 

7/ The Greek choir was awesome as usual 😎😁 I hadn't noticed the lemon press during the trailer 😁 cool detail

8/ With sunglasses, slow-motion and a sunset even I could look like a real man. And I do sometimes 😎 

Great work!

Thanks! 

13 hours ago, Enaira said:

7/ The Greek choir was awesome as usual 😎😁 I hadn't noticed the lemon press during the trailer 😁 cool detail

8/ With sunglasses, slow-motion and a sunset even I could look like a real man. And I do sometimes 😎 

Great work!

Thanks! 

We watched it as well on Arte, very interesting 😊 This ending was perfect.

The lemon press was indeed intriguing, we wonder if it's used as an ashtray x)

19 minutes ago, Al. said:

The lemon press was indeed intriguing, we wonder if it's used as an ashtray x)

At least on that day it was ! 🤦‍♀️😜

6 minutes ago, Enaira said:

At least on that day it was ! 🤦‍♀️😜

I've seen more extravagant choices of ashtrays 😁

Now you got me puzzled 😳

2 hours ago, Al. said:

I've seen more extravagant choices of ashtrays 😁

I've used many things as ashtrays in the past, never thought of using a lemon squeezer though....😲

16 hours ago, Enaira said:

Now you got me puzzled 😳

Smokers in my family are either very creative, or very lazy. Seashell, dishes, plants, wine glasses, beer mugs, plastic skulls... As long as it can do the job, I guess x)

That being said, my father uses this ashtray for cigars. Clearly, it's more "design" and sophisticated ^^

Thank you so much guys! I am really really happy that you enjoyed it. 

Enaira, so nice of you to write such a detailed review, you can probably imagine how rewarding it is for me to read your insights! And you know what - I had filmed Thomas' interview in 2015 and I had totally forgotten about the lemon squeezer and I did not even notice it while editing... I actually saw it when I watched the finished film on a big screen! 😄

I've heard that some people did not like his feet - no idea why - and that many did not recognize him with the beard. I always thought it was clear that it was him in the end. I mean, naked feet, big cigar, cool dude - who else is it gonna be, right?

I was shocked to see that in Germany on the Arte Facebook page there are hundreds of men complaining below the announcement of the film - not about the film itself, they haven't seen it, but about the idea of deconstructing movie masculinity! 😮 I guess we still have a long, long way to go...  😞

Well... I don't use FB that makes my life easier 😁

On Instagram I posted an "advertisement" 24h before and had 78 likes with 0 negative comments. That's my little brick in the wall 😎

On 12/29/2019 at 4:11 PM, Enaira said:

The video is available here for a few days, but probably only watchable from (parts of) Europe. I'll wait until tonight to see it "live"...

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/047109-000-A/real-men/

I tried to watch it, via a VPN, and it wouldn't let me, despite trying several countries. Weirdly, Arte would let me watch every other programme on its channel! 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:30 PM, Al. said:

Smokers in my family are either very creative, or very lazy. Seashell, dishes, plants, wine glasses, beer mugs, plastic skulls... As long as it can do the job, I guess x)

That being said, my father uses this ashtray for cigars. Clearly, it's more "design" and sophisticated ^^

I find the whole concept of people having smokers in their family really weird. And even weirder that they would be so... creative! 😂

21 hours ago, Hasko Baumann said:

I've heard that some people did not like his feet - no idea why ...

I totally get that - some people are just icked out by feet. I'm not (unless they are grim!) but I do understand that some folk just aren't used to seeing bare feet, and feel uncomfortable about it. I'm pretty much the opposite; seeing people wearing shoes indoors seems really odd to me.

21 hours ago, Hasko Baumann said:

I was shocked to see that in Germany on the Arte Facebook page there are hundreds of men complaining below the announcement of the film - not about the film itself, they haven't seen it, but about the idea of deconstructing movie masculinity! 😮 I guess we still have a long, long way to go...  😞

That's such a shame, maybe if they watched it, they'd learn something. Or perhaps they're scared to because then they might have to do some self-reflection! 😋

On 1/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, Enaira said:

On Instagram I posted an "advertisement" 24h before and had 78 likes with 0 negative comments. That's my little brick in the wall 😎

Thanks a lot for that post BTW, I completly forgot it was that day, with the holidays and Christmas stress. You're a true influencer now 😉

On 1/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, Hasko Baumann said:

Unfortunatly, that happens a lot when  these themes are discussed... But it proves we need documentaries like this one, so I hope we'll have more in the future. Thanks for your work in any case 😊

14 minutes ago, Al. said:

You're a true influencer now 

Haha that's the best joke so far! Glad it helped! 

38 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Haha that's the best joke so far! Glad it helped! 

Ha!  You’re an influencer AND a ninja now then!! 🤣🤣

BUT only on Insta! 🤣

Hasko has uploaded the trailer of "Real Men" on his YouTube channel: 

Hasko, your taste and body of work seems quite eclectic. In case you still lurk around here: I was wondering how the topics of "Real Men" and "Moebius Redux" came into reality for you, so what was the moment you knew that those weren't just ideas but projects you'd be really working on?

See you around! 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.