Geoff

Real Men Documentary

5 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Hello there,

I saw that Real Men is being discussed here which makes me happy since I'm the director! 🙂 Working with Thomas on the film was an absolute delight, he was kind of enough to film with me twice for the doc over the course of almost three years. 

I could not go to Comic Con, I was shooting in Tokyo at the time and would have had to pay for the trip myself anyway so it wasn't really an option. I heard nothing about the screening so I assume it didn't really take San Diego by storm 😄 But I would like to inform those who are interested that it will be aired on ARTE In Germany and France on September 22nd. 

Personally, I like the version that I edited for the international market (which was shown at Comic Con) a little better, it also has a tiny bit more of Tom in it. 

Anyway, thank you all for your interest in it and for the nice choice of images!

Greetings from Berlin

Hasko

A great pleasure to have you here good Sir. 

Hello Hasko, thank you for this update, directly from the director 😉

I write this date in my calendar, Germany, France, ARTE... sounds like you made all this work just to please me! 

Can't wait...

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

But I would like to inform those who are interested that it will be aired on ARTE In Germany and France on September 22nd. 

For those of us that wont be able to see this. Is there a way to purchase your doc on dvd? I had reached out to Katharina at Avanti but heard nothing back. 

8 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Hello Hasko, thank you for this update, directly from the director 😉

I write this date in my calendar, Germany, France, ARTE... sounds like you made all this work just to please me! 

Can't wait...

ok thats you recording and burning a recorded copy then lol

I was about to suggest this option, in case the DVD purchase isn't possible! Sure.

5 minutes ago, Enaira said:

I was about to suggest this option, in case the DVD purchase isn't possible! Sure.

Great minds again! 

Thank you Enaira for your kind words! I sincerely hope you will enjoy it!

Hello Geoff, thank you for the warm welcome! I have to admit I know nothing about what the producers are planning for it or where they will be selling it (if at all). As soon as I hear about it, I will gladly post details here!

I finished the film a year ago and moved on if you will, so I am not taking part in the 'business' part of it 🙂

6 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

Thank you Enaira for your kind words! I sincerely hope you will enjoy it!

Hello Geoff, thank you for the warm welcome! I have to admit I know nothing about what the producers are planning for it or where they will be selling it (if at all). As soon as I hear about it, I will gladly post details here!

I finished the film a year ago and moved on if you will, so I am not taking part in the 'business' part of it 🙂

Completely understand and thank you again. I will reach out again and see what information can be obtained. 

Whilst we do have you here though Hasko, could you indulge us with the process?

How did the idea come into being, at what point did you get involved, how did you reach out to the people you spoke with, how were the selected, the filming process etc.

Hi Hasko, I was wondering if you could give us some background information please? What spontaneously comes to my mind:

- How did you come up with this idea?

- How did you choose your "subjects", especially TJ. Knew him before? Approached him for the first time? Your wish or was it a suggestion from a third party?

- How was the shooting taking place? Like an interview or is there something like an agreement about the "script"?

- Did Tom make your vision evolve during your interaction?

Thank you!!!!

Just now, Geoff said:

Whilst we do have you here though Hasko, could you indulge us with the process?

How did the idea come into being, at what point did you get involved, how did you reach out to the people you spoke with, how were the selected, the filming process etc.

Ha ha 🤣 ok I shut up, you're my brain in the UK.

6 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Ha ha 🤣 ok I shut up, you're my brain in the UK.

I was just thinking the same thing about you in France LMFAO. 

From Hasko's Twitter feed........

Hasko, any hint for us about how long Tom is to be seen on screen? In the trailer he was preeminent. This is a good sign, right?

Well, I hope I am not going to bore you with this...

I first came up with the idea in about 2010, it was to be a series about the concept of a "Real Man", but I wanted to focus on yesteryear's action heroes. But then The Expendables came out and took the wind out of the project. I had already found a production company and re-designed it as a feature-length doc, but with a different approach. I thought about what influences us men in what we consider as being "manly" and I thought back to my childhood and youth and remembered how much I loved Bogart and how cool I thought Snake Plissken was. So I thought, in today's times, that might be interesting, to look at "manliness" by looking at the movies - how their concept of "men" influences society and even politics.

It sounds very heady, but I am not a very heady guy, so I wanted it to be fun at the same time; I wanted to present some actors that I admire or that I thought were an interesting mix for different reasons. To ask them about how they did or did not become icons, to ask them about their own concept of manliness. I added some more layers to the doc by visiting men that live a life or have a profession that is a typical "Real Men" cliche in the movies: Cowboys, a small town Sheriff, a martial arts trainer, bodybuilders, a boxer. And brought in a feminist filmmaker for the different perspective. Because of course with #metoo and gender politics I had to dig deeper. 

Anyway, I asked a looooooot of actors if they wanted to be in it but they either wanted  a lot of money or deemed it unworthy of their presence 🙂 But the ones that are in it I really really wanted because I love each and every one of them for different reasons. George Lazenby was the first Bond I saw, Luke Goss and Scott Adkins are carrying the torch of the oldschool action hero, Fred Williamson is my favourite Blaxploitation guy and we became friends years ago... and so on.

With Thomas it was a funny thing. I asked him because I think he can be the classic "Real Men" - I mean, he was The Punisher - but he can also be a regular guy, he can be crazy, he can be a romantic lead, he is all that. In the interview, he said so many smart things and had such a dry sense of humour that I knew in the editing that he would be the one man to appear throughout the film, like a Greek Choir. So shortly before I finished I asked him again and filmed the ending with him (he now looked totally different).

I also filmed it with my favorite camera man, he is also very fond of this kind of men and movies and we tried to make it look larger than life, especially the actors. I also asked Glenn Gregory of Heaven 17 who I admire very much to do the music (we had met on another film I did and stayed in touch) which he actually said yes to!

Oh boy, so much babbling. Does this answer any of your questions? Sorry for rambling!

Are you kidding? Its RAWsome to have direct information about the process. And you referring to TJ as a Greek Choir 👍🏻

Now I want to see it even more!

Wow!  I’ve been out of WiFi range for the afternoon and suddenly all this pops up!  Read through it all and as quickly as I was thinking of a question it had already been asked and answered 👍  Thanks so much for all the inside info Haskins, really appreciate your time.  And Ariane - good to see you’re on top form!

8 minutes ago, Enaira said:

And you referring to TJ as a Greek Choir 👍🏻

Sure he’s been referred to as a Greek god at some point but a choir? 🤔

What about your filming style?

It's a doc, but you seem to have used effects to emphasize certain aspects (I am having this assumption due to the slow-mo in the trailer to emphasize the coolness of the cigar. I mean the coolness of the man). And the camera position also influences our perception. 

Can you tell us how you drew the line between reportage and movie?

5 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

He he. But hey Enaira, where did you see the trailer? I thought I was the only one who had it 😄 Was just about going to post it!

You know TJ and Geoff are poor souls, always under pressure from their hungry fans... they didn't have a choice!

17 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

You’re kidding right?  You must have worked out that the RAW faithful have a voracious appetite for anything and everything involving Thomas, we could never be bored!! 😁

6 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

Wow!  I’ve been out of WiFi range for the afternoon and suddenly all this pops up!  Read through it all and as quickly as I was thinking of a question it had already been asked and answered 👍  Thanks so much for all the inside info Haskins, really appreciate your time.  And Ariane - good to see you’re on top form!

Sure he’s been referred to as a Greek god at some point but a choir? 🤔

Sorry - I meant Hasko (bloody autocorrect 😡) no offence!

42 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

I first came up with the idea in about 2010, it was to be a series about the concept of a "Real Man", but I wanted to focus on yesteryear's action heroes. But then The Expendables came out and took the wind out of the project. I had already found a production company and re-designed it as a feature-length doc, but with a different approach. I thought about what influences us men in what we consider as being "manly" and I thought back to my childhood and youth and remembered how much I loved Bogart and how cool I thought Snake Plissken was. So I thought, in today's times, that might be interesting, to look at "manliness" by looking at the movies - how their concept of "men" influences society and even politics.

It sounds very heady, but I am not a very heady guy, so I wanted it to be fun at the same time; I wanted to present some actors that I admire or that I thought were an interesting mix for different reasons. To ask them about how they did or did not become icons, to ask them about their own concept of manliness. I added some more layers to the doc by visiting men that live a life or have a profession that is a typical "Real Men" cliche in the movies: Cowboys, a small town Sheriff, a martial arts trainer, bodybuilders, a boxer. And brought in a feminist filmmaker for the different perspective. Because of course with #metoo and gender politics I had to dig deeper. 

Anyway, I asked a looooooot of actors if they wanted to be in it but they either wanted  a lot of money or deemed it unworthy of their presence 🙂 But the ones that are in it I really really wanted because I love each and every one of them for different reasons. George Lazenby was the first Bond I saw, Luke Goss and Scott Adkins are carrying the torch of the oldschool action hero, Fred Williamson is my favourite Blaxploitation guy and we became friends years ago... and so on.

With Thomas it was a funny thing. I asked him because I think he can be the classic "Real Men" - I mean, he was The Punisher - but he can also be a regular guy, he can be crazy, he can be a romantic lead, he is all that. In the interview, he said so many smart things and had such a dry sense of humour that I knew in the editing that he would be the one man to appear throughout the film, like a Greek Choir. So shortly before I finished I asked him again and filmed the ending with him (he now looked totally different).

I also filmed it with my favorite camera man, he is also very fond of this kind of men and movies and we tried to make it look larger than life, especially the actors. I also asked Glenn Gregory of Heaven 17 who I admire very much to do the music (we had met on another film I did and stayed in touch) which he actually said yes to!

Oh boy, so much babbling. Does this answer any of your questions? Sorry for rambling!

Very insightful Hasko thank you for sharing and I know Araine and Gail would have commented by the time I logged back in lol. 

You mentioned filming with Thomas twice was there a specific reason for this or just schedules? Did your vision on what you wanted to achieve in making the documentary get realized and did any of it challenge or alter your own perceptions?

31 minutes ago, Hasko Baumann said:

He he. But hey Enaira, where did you see the trailer? I thought I was the only one who had it 😄 Was just about going to post it!

That would be me obtaining it from Avanti, along with the stills (part of my job 😀, and keeps everyone calm) 

From Luke Goss instagram. 

27879101_457520737996581_3969790507361501184_n.jpg

Just saw that you've been working with and about Moebius!! Congratulations about the win!

And Jodorowski!!!

I know why you and TJ went along so well. Terrific. 

On a more German note: Götz Alsmann. Love him too, I saw him on the Harald Schmidt show and of course some of the "Zimmer frei" episodes.

Bjarne Mädel seems to be missing on your work list until now... strange 😁 speaking about dry humor...