Geoff

Real Men Documentary

On July 18th at SDCC the documentary "Real Men" will receive its premier.

REAL MEN traces the development of the Tough Guy from the beginnings of Bogart and John Wayne to the role models of today. While going back and forth in time, the film speaks about much more than just masculinity on screen. Leading men don't start their service out of nowhere, they are always a sign of the times. The film digs deeper: How are these men made or even manufactured? What forces prevail in molding them?
Reality has long since caught up with cinema. The Tough Guy image has made it into politics and has been, once again, relentlessly perpetuated in mainstream movies. Was it really so wise to leave the definition of manhood to cinema? And who's going to control the screen from now on?

Interviews in the documentary feature Scott Adkins, Fred Williamson, Michael Dudikoff, George Lazenby & Thomas Jane.

(as posted in interview on line section) Thomas' section has its own trailer here

Listings for showing times are here https://www.comic-con.org/cci/film-festival 

It will be available to purchase shortly after and im in touch with the producers to see how, when, where and how much. 

Images taken from the documentary. 

Cowboy 02.jpg

Sounds like a great watch, fascinating history of the Real Man on screen and the motivations (or indeed machinations) behind them - no doubt TJ has some strong views, never seems to be worried about speaking his mind!

15 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

Sounds like a great watch, fascinating history of the Real Man on screen and the motivations (or indeed machinations) behind them - no doubt TJ has some strong views, never seems to be worried about speaking his mind!

Oh he's not!

I'm also looking forward to seeing this as these men have been (to a certain degree) what my version of who I wanted to be as a man when I was a kid. Strong, quiet, does the right thing, stoic, blunt everything I saw in Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford (and much later Thomas) I took up martial arts at a young age due to being repeatedly beaten up and wanted to be Chuck Norris, Michael Dudikoff, Bruce Lee, Dolph Lundgren etc (before I really knew what martial arts was and the journey it took me on)

So for me it holds a real interest and more so these days when I look at it with today's views and social expectations and as a father and the challenges my kids (and students) face in todays world vs the one I grew up in.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Oh he's not!

I'm also looking forward to seeing this as these men have been (to a certain degree) what my version of who I wanted to be as a man when I was a kid. Strong, quiet, does the right thing, stoic, blunt everything I saw in Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford (and much later Thomas) I took up martial arts at a young age due to being repeatedly beaten up and wanted to be Chuck Norris, Michael Dudikoff, Bruce Lee, Dolph Lundgren etc (before I really knew what martial arts was and the journey it took me on)

So for me it holds a real interest and more so these days when I look at it with today's views and social expectations and as a father and the challenges my kids (and students) face in todays world vs the one I grew up in.

Must be difficult to know the right call - I mean, we're a similar age so I was brought up with the same male role models on screen, i.e., men's men, but these days men are expected to behave in a very different way.  May be controversial but I think the rise of feminism spelled the demise of 'real men', I have no problem with men being sensitive but give me Harrison Ford (or indeed TJ) over, say, Hugh Grant, any day of the week!  I don't know how old your girls are but I don't envy you raising them in this era, guess you and Thomas have something in common there.  Looking forward to hearing the views of these guys, or should I say Real Men!

I'm relieved. Apparently we take turns at being deep 😉

Oh boy (or should I say oh girl?) I'm happy we don't speak about "real women" here 'cause I would be under a lot of pressure...

17 minutes ago, Enaira said:

I'm relieved. Apparently we take turns at being deep 😉

Oh boy (or should I say oh girl?) I'm happy we don't speak about "real women" here 'cause I would be under a lot of pressure...

Happy to take the pressure off you, albeit briefly (I can do sensible when I want, I just don't often want to!!).

I share your sentiment, I have no clue what 'real women' are meant to be these days!

10 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

I don't envy you raising them in this era, guess you and Thomas have something in common there

Oh we've spoken at length on this subject. Girls are of similar age.

12 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

I share your sentiment, I have no clue what 'real women' are meant to be these days!

I have no clue what Real Men are either, these days. I hope this documentary will tell me. TJ sounded pessimistic about the definition of Real Men given by the film industry. He probably means that timid emo metrosexuals are not and maybe will never be Hollywood’s leading men. Well I’m actually ok with that (like u Gail!) People needs inspiration from movies, it’s good to see strong characters you can draw from to get through shit in life. It’s also beneficial to watch the opposite or average characters to make u fell better about yourself, but ultimately you don’t want to imitate them. 

I think that in an ideal world a new type of hero would be the average guy/girl with a fair share of faults overcoming his/her own personal weaknesses. Tough job to make it look entertaining though.

1 hour ago, Anna Clara said:

timid emo metrosexuals

😂😂😂 Love this description, although the image it conjures up is not a pretty one!  Here’s to a resurgence of Real Men!!

This doc sounds so fascinating. I'm glad that TJ got to be a part of it. SDCC seems like an interesting choice of a venue for the premiere. 

So any feedback from the SDCC screening?  Have the Real Men had their views received positively or have the feminists hounded them out of town?

I think it went fine. I reached out last week to producers asking that very thing but heard nothing back. 

Hello there!

Davvij said she would connect here and write a few word about the doc and the con once she's back home 😉

Thanks Davvij!

Im hoping someone there could comment on how it went. I have heard that it goes on release to purchase at the end of Sept. 

Hello there,

I saw that Real Men is being discussed here which makes me happy since I'm the director! 🙂 Working with Thomas on the film was an absolute delight, he was kind of enough to film with me twice for the doc over the course of almost three years. 

I could not go to Comic Con, I was shooting in Tokyo at the time and would have had to pay for the trip myself anyway so it wasn't really an option. I heard nothing about the screening so I assume it didn't really take San Diego by storm 😄 But I would like to inform those who are interested that it will be aired on ARTE In Germany and France on September 22nd. 

Personally, I like the version that I edited for the international market (which was shown at Comic Con) a little better, it also has a tiny bit more of Tom in it. 

Anyway, thank you all for your interest in it and for the nice choice of images!

Greetings from Berlin

Hasko