Gail

Same character, different actor

12 minutes ago, Al. said:

Jeremy Brett is surely the Holmes that is the most similar to Conan Doyle's work and descriptions. Very good choice 😀 

Thanks for the thumbs up!  In the same vein, I always thought David Suchet was absolute perfection as Hercule Poirot - don't get me wrong, Peter Ustinov was a fabulous actor (and even better raconteur) but Mr Suchet carried it off to a tee!

On 5/21/2019 at 10:51 PM, Gail Bentley said:

Thanks for the thumbs up!  In the same vein, I always thought David Suchet was absolute perfection as Hercule Poirot - don't get me wrong, Peter Ustinov was a fabulous actor (and even better raconteur) but Mr Suchet carried it off to a tee!

It was the bum-clenching that did it!

What a pro to clench for so long though!!!

28 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

What a pro to clench for so long though!!!

That's what you call dedication to one's art. 😆

So OK, here's my list... so far!

Bond - definitely Daniel Craig; I really like that in him we got to see proto-Bond, who was essentially a government-sanctioned thug. I've enjoyed his progress. Pierce comes a close second, and was very close to how I remember Bond from the books (which admittedly, I did read in my early teens which was wayyy back in the last century!).

Holmes - Jeremy Brett all the way. Love Cumberbatch too but I don't really love the shows. Some are good, most are meh, some are stinkers, IMO! After years of resisting Elementary, I was finally convinced by a guy I was working with on No Escape. I really enjoyed the first couple of series but then I got bored with it. And while I'm at it, while I loved Edward Hardwicke as Watson (David Burke not so much), Martin Freeman is my favourite.

Who - Matt Smith. Love Ecclestone, love Tennant, and I loved Baker too but Smith is far and away my favourite. Shame he got so many crap stories though.

Hannibal (my favourite cookery show, ha ha!) - Mads Mikkelsen without a doubt. Anthony Hopkins was very good but nowhere near as nuanced as Mads. Not seen the rest of the Hannibal films. 

Connor - there is only ONE Sarah Connor! I am so pleased that Linda Hamilton is in the latest Terminator film. She totes rocks!

Batman - Christian Bale. Although I loved the Dark Knight graphic novels (the other Miller with a trilby!), and really enjoyed the first two films, I loathed The Dark Knight Rises.

Joker - 100% Heath Ledger. His portrayal was genius.

James Tiberius Kirk - that's a tough one, actually. I loved Shatner in the role (and I've been a fan since the '60s) but Pine is pretty frelling fantastic too. I couldn't possibly choose, TBH. 

Spock - Leonard Nimoy! I like Quinto well enough but I find there's just something a bit lacking there.

Mad Max - I have never seen any of the MM films (because MG has just always put me off, and I've not got around to seeing the latest one); however, Gail, I completely agree with you about Taboo - I thought it was brilliant, and I'm looking forward to S2.

Wonka - definitely Gene Wilder. So creepy-ass as to be brilliant! Definitely would not want him as my mentor though... there's quite enough weird shit in my head as it is.

Spider-Man - absolutely, indubitably, without a shadow of a doubt... Tom Holland. 'Nuff said.

Banner/Hulk - Ruffalo/Ruffalo's CGI. How is this even a question? 😉 (Anyone else want to see a remake of Columbo just so Ruffalo could play the titular 'tec?!)

Musketeers - I really can't make up my mind between Burke, Cabrera, Charles, and Pasqualino or Irons, Malkovich, Depardieu, and Byrne. That said, when I was a kid, I had a massive crush on D'Artagnan in the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. I'm over that now, though. 

Dumbledore - Richard Harris, no question. I was really hoping that Jared Harris would play younger Dumbledore in FB2.

Obi Wan - there is only one Obi Wan, and he didn't have a stupid little rat tail in his hair. (Thank you folks, I had almost expunged those travesties from my mind.)

Dracula - Christopher Lee. I'm an old-school Hammer gal. Also, he was a pretty epic human being in real life.

Van Helsing - I have to say Peter Cushing, and not just because he was my pen-friend!

James Cole (12 Monkeys) - Aaron Stanford.

Jack Ryan - absolutely Harrison Ford. Because Harrison Ford.

Rooster Cogburn - duh, The Dude! 

Lisbeth Salander - both Noomi Rapace and Rooney Mara were brilliant. I couldn't choose. And actually, the US remake of Dragon Tattoo was, surprisingly, as good as the Swedish original. I thought so, anyway.

Robin Hood - this guy... 

latest?cb=20181214155646

Oh, you didn't think I was going to pick Costner, did you? Wash your brain out, people!

I see you have landed your saucer on the right Planet. This forum is a perfect spot for you 😁

7 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Jack Ryan - absolutely Harrison Ford. Because Harrison Ford.

I absolutely concur. Because.

Well said gal!

Good grief woman - I'm exhausted just reading that!  Bravo 👏 👏👏

Loving your work and can't take issue with any of your choices (apart from Bond, still Sean Connery all the way for me). And yes, I can totally see Mark Ruffalo as Columbo! 👍  And just btw, you should def watch MM with Tom Hardy, it works!

24 minutes ago, Enaira said:

I see you have landed your saucer on the right Planet. This forum is a perfect spot for you 😁

I come in peace - take me to your leader. 😆

23 minutes ago, Enaira said:

I absolutely concur. Because.

Well said gal!

How could you not?! Heheh.

1 minute ago, Gail Bentley said:

Good grief woman - I'm exhausted just reading that!  Bravo 👏👏👏

Loving your work and can't take issue with any of your choices (apart from Bond, still Sean Connery all the way for me). And yes, I can totally see Mark Ruffalo as Columbo! 👍  And just btw, you should def watch MM with Tom Hardy, it works!

Yeah, if I ever get time. I tend to do most of my viewing between 5.30-7am (I'm a fowl not an owl!) - even so, I'm not convinced I'll ever get through all the things I'd like to watch. I have a chum in the US who nags me several times a week about watching this film or that film because he's dying to discuss them. It's not like I'm the only film buff he knows!

12 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Nice try... but no cigar 😹

Just now, Enaira said:

Nice try... but no cigar 😹

Dayum, aah've bin rumbled!

>>Back to the drawing board<<

48 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Batman - Christian Bale. Although I loved the Dark Knight graphic novels (the other Miller with a trilby!), and really enjoyed the first two films, I loathed The Dark Knight Rises.

Glad you mentioned the trilby btw, not fedora... something I learned on this forum! 

1 minute ago, Enaira said:

Glad you mentioned the trilby btw, not fedora... something I learned on this forum! 

Oh, I very, very much know the difference between the two! I prefer a fedora.

52 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

If it was that easy TJ would be crushed in the stampede!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

If it was that easy TJ would be crushed in the stampede!!!!!!!

I can't believe my cunning plan was so easily busted. 🤣😋

Okay, since The Hat has made its presence felt again I just thought I'd post this link for anyone who hasn't seen the interview - quite an oldie, but still fun!

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/into-the-expanse-great-sci-fi-doesnt-require-a-good-hat-but-it-helps-45157/

Fun read guys!

You could start comparing remakes? that might give you another set of comparable's.

Can we include remakes that should never have seen the light of day?  Italian Job with Mark Wahlberg - I’m looking at you for a start off, way to take a classic and wee all over it!! 👎

7 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

Can we include remakes that should never have seen the light of day?  Italian Job with Mark Wahlberg - I’m looking at you for a start off, way to take a classic and wee all over it!! 👎

totally the good at the bad. For example also Total Recall with Colin Farrell. Im a big fan of Colin's but no way is he better than Schwarzenegger and nor is the film.

But also the good. Heat (Michael Mann) was way way way way and a bit more WAY, (with a side helping of LOADS) better that L.A Takedown (Also Michael Mann) 

Just speaking of Colin Farrell, has he made the same deal with whoever that TJ has?  I mean he’s been knocking about for years but never looks any older......and he’s definitely not been anything close to an angel in the past!

Yeah its Tom, Colin and Keanu Reeves. Some sort of strange pact with that dude who never got older. What his name Dorian something from Oscar Wilde

That’d be Dorian Gray - there’s a hell of a lot of attics with shabby looking paintings in them then!

45 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

That’d be Dorian Gray - there’s a hell of a lot of attics with shabby looking paintings in them then!

Thats the dude yeah him. 

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

Fun read guys!

You could start comparing remakes? that might give you another set of comparable's.

I like your thinking, Geoff!

ETA: 'Tis done