Jump to content
Gail

Same character, different actor

Recommended Posts

So guys, here's a little something just for fun off the back of a short exchange during welcome drinks on Friday!  There have been countless remakes and re-imaginings of films and TV series over the years, as well as ongoing ones where the cast changes so, in your opinion who does what role best?  These are the ones I have off the top of my head:

James Bond - was, is and always will be Sean Connery (until such time as TJ has a crack at it!)

Sherlock Holmes - Benedict Cumberbatch (with Jeremy Brett a close second)

Dr Who - Chris Eccleston (for being a mardy-arsed Northener!)

Any thoughts or additions?  This is purely your opinion and you're entitled to it.  Unless you're wrong.  In which case you'll be told! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

So guys, here's a little something just for fun off the back of a short exchange during welcome drinks on Friday!  There have been countless remakes and re-imaginings of films and TV series over the years, as well as ongoing ones where the cast changes so, in your opinion who does what role best?  These are the ones I have off the top of my head:

James Bond - was, is and always will be Sean Connery (until such time as TJ has a crack at it!)

Sherlock Holmes - Benedict Cumberbatch (with Jeremy Brett a close second)

Dr Who - Chris Eccleston (for being a mardy-arsed Northener!)

Any thoughts or additions?  This is purely your opinion and you're entitled to it.  Unless you're wrong.  In which case you'll be told! 

There are many but I'll chuck in an obvious one.

...... Francis "Frank" Castiglione

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok here we go off the top of my head....

Vito, Corleone, Batman, Superman, Wonder woman......(Lets just go with most DC), James T Kirk, Spook (Ok lets also go with most of Star Trek Cannon, Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, Chewbacca (less in Star Wars Canon) Mad Max, Carrie, Robin Hood, Whats her name from the "Girl in the" films, Hannibal Lector, Wil Graham, Rooster Cogburn, Bilbo Baggins, Jack Ryan, Willy Wonka, Sarah Conner.......and believe it or not Indiana Jones. 

Ok thats all I can do without coffee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geoff I know you’re a movie buff but really??  Give someone else a chance!  Anyway, thanks for the list but care to venture an opinion on faves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

Geoff I know you’re a movie buff but really??  Give someone else a chance!  Anyway, thanks for the list but care to venture an opinion on faves?

Oh there is more, just making it more fun for people to think.

Well its obvious who the best Frank Castle was.......Dolph Lundgren. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really?  I thought Ray Stevenson just pipped him...... if you’re lurking TJ I’m kidding of course (and Geoff started it!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geoff said:

There are many but I'll chuck in an obvious one.

...... Francis "Frank" Castiglione

 

Ah no - as with The Highlander (there’s another!), there can be only one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

James Bond - was, is and always will be Sean Connery (until such time as TJ has a crack at it!)

Yep! So many good memories...

19 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

Sherlock Holmes - Benedict Cumberbatch (with Jeremy Brett a close second)

Yes I practically grew up with Jeremy Brett and his violin, he was great. Cumberbatch is perfect as the modern version with a similar spirit. I also watched some of the "Elementary" episodes with Jonny Lee Miller. It takes some time to get used to. His personification is so extreme - it makes it interesting to look at but difficult to identify with the character.

I would add two more (no lead role but worth mentioning all the same!):

Jeremy Irons is the best Humbert Humbert in Lolita. He can marvelously play the villain you cannot really hate.

Xander Berkeley in Nikita - actually he's the only reason I watched some episodes from the series !

13 hours ago, Geoff said:

Batman

Hmmm ... for me it is Christian Bale but mainly due to the face lift Christopher Nolan gave to the movies. Christian profited from that in this case. But he's really good so ok.

13 hours ago, Geoff said:

Spock

Only Leonard Nimoy !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

James Bond - was, is and always will be Sean Connery (until such time as TJ has a crack at it!)

Sherlock Holmes - Benedict Cumberbatch (with Jeremy Brett a close second)

Dr Who - Chris Eccleston (for being a mardy-arsed Northener!) 

James Bond -- Yeah, it's hard to argue Sean Connery as being the best or not. He is. & when you think Bond, he's the first name I always think of. But I also enjoyed Daniel Craig. It didn't matter that he had blonde hair. He wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty. 

Sherlock - Mentioned it before, but I'll post it again -- Benedict Cumberbatch for the win! Also really like Jonny Lee Miller. Even if his voice is practically a whisper. 

Moriarty - If there's anyone who stole the series from Cumberbatch, it would be Andrew Scott. He made that character memorable & played him like a Mad Hatter. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. & I loved when he'd yell. 

Doctor Who - David Tenant! His energy is electric! & he made the role so loveable. 

16 hours ago, Geoff said:

There are many but I'll chuck in an obvious one.

...... Francis "Frank" Castiglione

 

I've only seen one on-screen (though I did hear Norman Reedus' voice), but I don't need anyone else but TJane!! 💀

15 hours ago, Geoff said:

ok here we go off the top of my head....

Vito, Corleone, Batman, Superman, Wonder woman......(Lets just go with most DC), James T Kirk, Spook (Ok lets also go with most of Star Trek Cannon, Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, Chewbacca (less in Star Wars Canon) Mad Max, Carrie, Robin Hood, Whats her name from the "Girl in the" films, Hannibal Lector, Wil Graham, Rooster Cogburn, Bilbo Baggins, Jack Ryan, Willy Wonka, Sarah Conner.......and believe it or not Indiana Jones. 

Ok thats all I can do without coffee. 

 

1 hour ago, Enaira said:

Yep! So many good memories...

Yes I practically grew up with Jeremy Brett and his violin, he was great. Cumberbatch is perfect as the modern version with a similar spirit. I also watched some of the "Elementary" episodes with Jonny Lee Miller. It takes some time to get used to. His personification is so extreme - it makes it interesting to look at but difficult to identify with the character.

 

Hmmm ... for me it is Christian Bale but mainly due to the face lift Christopher Nolan gave to the movies. Christian profited from that in this case. But he's really good so ok.

 

Batman - Christian Bale gets my vote 100%! He had the right look & mannerisms as Bruce Wayne, & I loved his deep Batman voice (even if others don't). I just think it made sense for him to disguise his normal speaking voice.

Joker - Heath Ledger all the way! Not only did he give the best Joker performance, he also delivered the best performance of any actor PERIOD. May he forever rest in peace. 😰

Willy Wonka - Gene Wilder! His Wonka is eccentric & just so hilarious & wonderful. If I was going to acquire a chocolate factory, I'd want him as my mentor. 🍫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rosella said:

Joker - Heath Ledger all the way! Not only did he give the best Joker performance, he also delivered the best performance of any actor PERIOD. May he forever rest in peace. 😰

I go for Jack Nicholson here! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Enaira said:

I go for Jack Nicholson here! 

Nicholson was my pick before I saw Ledger. Ledger just made that character his & set the bar so high. THE DARK KNIGHT is my top favorite movie of all time! To think, TJ was sooo close to playing Two-Face. But Aaron Eckhart earned the part, & I loved him in it, too. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rosella said:

Nicholson was my pick before I saw Ledger. Ledger just made that character his & set the bar so high. THE DARK KNIGHT is my top favorite movie of all time! To think, TJ was sooo close to playing Two-Face. But Aaron Eckhart earned the part, & I loved him in it, too. 😀

Gotta go with Rosella here - Heath Ledger all the way, played it with the right amount of crazy without ever seeming to go too far.  I'm afraid I have to take issue with the claim of The Dark Knight being your fave movie OF ALL TIME?????  Surely that's tantamount to sacrilege in these parts?  TJ would have been a great Two-Face though 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enaira said:

Yes I practically grew up with Jeremy Brett and his violin, he was great. Cumberbatch is perfect as the modern version with a similar spirit. 

So glad you remember Jeremy Brett - he seems to have been largely forgotten, but I thought his characterisation of an opium addled genius was perfect.  And he was the love interest in the only musical I can bear to watch (My Fair Lady with the gorgeous Audrey Hepburn).

54 minutes ago, Rosella said:

James Bond -- Yeah, it's hard to argue Sean Connery as being the best or not. He is. & when you think Bond, he's the first name I always think of.

Moriarty - If there's anyone who stole the series from Cumberbatch, it would be Andrew Scott. He made that character memorable & played him like a Mad Hatter. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. & I loved when he'd yell. 

Willy Wonka - Gene Wilder! His Wonka is eccentric & just so hilarious & wonderful. If I was going to acquire a chocolate factory, I'd want him as my mentor. 🍫

Yay to Sean Connery, he was the perfect mix of suave sophistication with menacing undercurrents, Daniel Craig's version was always a bit too PC for my tastes.

Absolutely yes to Andrew Scott - played Moriarty to perfection!

I think I'm going with Johnny Depp for Willy Wonka, had my reservations before I saw the film but really liked his portrayal.

Mad Max - have to give that one to Tom Hardy, basically 'cos I thought he was fantastic in the series 'Taboo' (not sure if you've seen this?) so he can pretty much do no wrong now, bit like TJ but not as handsome 😉

And from the Star Trek stable, Shatner for Kirk (despite the shameless overacting!), Nimoy for Spock although Zachary Quinto does a good job in the films, and Karl Urban for Bones McCoy

Over to you, girls! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh - The Punisher has just started on TV here, why did it have be on a school night?????? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

Gotta go with Rosella here - Heath Ledger all the way, played it with the right amount of crazy without ever seeming to go too far.  I'm afraid I have to take issue with the claim of The Dark Knight being your fave movie OF ALL TIME?????  Surely that's tantamount to sacrilege in these parts?  TJ would have been a great Two-Face though 👍

Thanks, Gail!! 😁 

I can't lie & say it isn't. But I think it's safe to claim it, because even TJ has agreed that his PUNISHER would've been grittier, which Castle fans would've wanted, had it been released post-TDK. 

The score used in DIRTY LAUNDRY came from TDK, too. 😎

2 minutes ago, Gail Bentley said:

Yay to Sean Connery, he was the perfect mix of suave sophistication with menacing undercurrents, Daniel Craig's version was always a bit too PC for my tastes.

Absolutely yes to Andrew Scott - played Moriarty to perfection!

I think I'm going with Johnny Depp for Willy Wonka, had my reservations before I saw the film but really liked his portrayal.

Mad Max - have to give that one to Tom Hardy, basically 'cos I thought he was fantastic in the series 'Taboo' (not sure if you've seen this?) so he can pretty much do no wrong now, bit like TJ but not as handsome 😉

And from the Star Trek stable, Shatner for Kirk (despite the shameless overacting!), Nimoy for Spock although Zachary Quinto does a good job in the films, and Karl Urban for Bones McCoy

Over to you, girls! 

I knew Daniel Craig wouldn't be everyone's fave. His QUANTUM OF SOLACE was.....well, it was a film, but it was *yawwwwn*.....It wasn't anything special. 

I have a crush on Scott because of it. & it was a bonus to see him in SPECTRE

I loved Depp, too. But sticking with Wilder, since I identify him with Wonka more. Depp has a whole slew of weird characters to know him as. 

I'll go with Shatner as Kirk & Nimoy as Spock, too. But yes, Quinto did very well with his portrayal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotta good chat here, like reading this thread. 😎 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys! We forgot the master of spookiness!

Nosferatu.... that name alone should give you goose bumps. And funny it is, because Max Schreck means Max Fright or max Scare in English...

Now of course Gary Oldman is a fantastic actor, but when it comes to Dracula, the first impression counts (plus I was way younger when I saw Nosferatu - it printed on my brain easily).

Wishing you a spooky day and even more terrible nights! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Guys! We forgot the master of spookiness!

Nosferatu.... that name alone should give you goose bumps. And funny it is, because Max Schreck means Max Fright or max Scare in English...

Now of course Gary Oldman is a fantastic actor, but when it comes to Dracula, the first impression counts (plus I was way younger when I saw Nosferatu - it printed on my brain easily).

Wishing you a spooky day and even more terrible nights! 

Good one!

We also have Al Capone, Many Disney princesses, Spiderman, venom, Alice in Wonderland, Forgot Catwoman & Bane too, The X Men lot (apart from Wolverine), Hulk, Judge Dredd, Whats his name from Harry potter - The headmaster, Couple of M's and Q's from Bond, There was more than one John Conner too thinking about it, More than a few Wyatt Earp's & gang, Oh blimey more than one IT now also, lots of Kings, Queens (not including the Freddie Mercury biopic in that) and lots of presidents, plenty of changes within The Three Musketeers.....

ok gonna need more coffee again.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following on from this you could have fun with:

  • Total number of times a role has been played by different actors.
  • Total number of times the same actor has played the same role!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Guys! We forgot the master of spookiness!

Nosferatu.... that name alone should give you goose bumps. And funny it is, because Max Schreck means Max Fright or max Scare in English...

Now of course Gary Oldman is a fantastic actor, but when it comes to Dracula, the first impression counts (plus I was way younger when I saw Nosferatu - it printed on my brain easily).

Wishing you a spooky day and even more terrible nights! 

 

37 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Good one!

We also have Al Capone, Many Disney princesses, Spiderman, venom, Alice in Wonderland, Forgot Catwoman & Bane too, The X Men lot (apart from Wolverine), Hulk, Judge Dredd, Whats his name from Harry potter - The headmaster, Couple of M's and Q's from Bond, There was more than one John Conner too thinking about it, More than a few Wyatt Earp's & gang, Oh blimey more than one IT now also, lots of Kings, Queens (not including the Freddie Mercury biopic in that) and lots of presidents, plenty of changes within The Three Musketeers.....

ok gonna need more coffee again.....

Need that Red Bull yet??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Following on from this you could have fun with:

  • Total number of times a role has been played by different actors.
  • Total number of times the same actor has played the same role!

Have you been possessed by the spirit of Barry Norman or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

Have you been possessed by the spirit of Barry Norman or what?

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Enaira said:

Guys! We forgot the master of spookiness!

Nosferatu.... that name alone should give you goose bumps. And funny it is, because Max Schreck means Max Fright or max Scare in English...

Now of course Gary Oldman is a fantastic actor, but when it comes to Dracula, the first impression counts (plus I was way younger when I saw Nosferatu - it printed on my brain easily).

Wishing you a spooky day and even more terrible nights! 

Good shout Ariane!  Still damned spooky!  Taking a bit of a sidestep here, can we include spoof/comedy takes on remakes?  If so, can anyone better Young Frankenstein (pronounced Fronk-en-steen of course!) - the combination of Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman is top notch!👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 1:02 AM, Gail Bentley said:

Sherlock Holmes - Benedict Cumberbatch (with Jeremy Brett a close second)

Jeremy Brett is surely the Holmes that is the most similar to Conan Doyle's work and descriptions. Very good choice 😀 Ian McKellen was excellent -as always- in Mr. Holmes as an aging Holmes, it was quiet original!

And Andrew Scott was an incredible Moriarty, indeed. The best Napoleon of crime for me.

14 hours ago, Geoff said:
  • Total number of times a role has been played by different actors.

Don't know if it's still accurate, but I think Sherlock Holmes is the character that was played the most on tv and films -over 200 times apparently!- , just before Dracula 😊

Otherwise, Daredevil? (Loved Charlie Cox in the Netflix series).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Geoff said:

Good one!

We also have Al Capone, Many Disney princesses, Spiderman, venom, Alice in Wonderland, Forgot Catwoman & Bane too, The X Men lot (apart from Wolverine), Hulk, Judge Dredd, Whats his name from Harry potter - The headmaster, Couple of M's and Q's from Bond, There was more than one John Conner too thinking about it, More than a few Wyatt Earp's & gang, Oh blimey more than one IT now also, lots of Kings, Queens (not including the Freddie Mercury biopic in that) and lots of presidents, plenty of changes within The Three Musketeers.....

ok gonna need more coffee again.....

Righty-ho, let me see......gotta be Lou Ferrigno for Hulk (but Mark Ruffalo for Bruce Banner), Karl Urban for Dredd, Richard Harris for old Whatsisname from Harry Potter, Desmond Llewelyn for Q (with special commendation to Ben Whishaw], Judi Dench for M (not for any feminist reasons, she's just a bloody good actor), Christoph Waltz as Blofeld, Obi Wan has to be Alec Guinness, John Krasinski for Jack Ryan (I know, surprised myself there!), Superman gotta be Christopher Reeve, Anthony Hopkins deffo for Hannibal Lecter, and lastly (for now) the late, great Alan Rickman for the Sheriff of Nottingham - the only man who could deliver perfect diction without moving a muscle in his jaw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...