Sign in to follow this  
James O'Brian

Foreign Films

I'm a big fan of foreign films, particularly french cinema. There is alot of stuff out there that has been chopped up and sold to the public as if they created it but it is basically taken from other films. This happens everywhere. And alot of times the films turn out better than the original. But this is very very rare. Some of my favorites that make up my collection are:

The 400 Blows

Insomnia

The Vanishing

Shoot The Piano Player

Breathless

Man Bites Dog

Solaris

Jules & Jim

Abre Los Ojos

Irreversible

Funny Games

Cache

The Apartment

Le Samourai

The Piano Teacher

Ichi The Killer

Audition

Nosferatu The Vampyre

There are many more but that's just the beginning of my own personal collection. What are some foreign films you like/dislike and why?

JO

Guest FADoss

"Horseman on the Roof" made Olivier Martinez a household name around here and he's the one guy I'll need to keep away from the wife if I make it big. :)

"Seven Samurai" is my personal favorite and I don't feel I need to elaborate as to why. :)

Also:

Amelie

City of Lost Children

All of Miyazaki's Animation!

Banlieu 13 (District 13) for the AMAZING Le Parkour action

I'll post others later.

Yes. Horseman On The Roof is classic. As well as Seven Samurai, I can't believe I forgot to list that one.

The Devil's Backbone is a very chilling film. Very dark and crazy. As well as Knife In The Water.

JO

For the past 5 or 6 years I've been watching more foreign films. Mainly Japanese and Chinese films. I find them far better than what Hollywood comes out with.

Hana-Bi (Fireworks)

Sonatine

Duo luo tian shi (Fallen Angels)

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo (Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War)

The Legend of Suriyothai

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword Of Vengeance

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart At The River Styx

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart To Hades

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart In Peril

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart In Land of Demons

Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven In Hell

Dai-bosatsu tôge (The Sword of Doom)

Zatoichi

Zatoichi (2003)

Pa Da Shuang Deng (Red Fireworks, Green Fireworks)

Raise The Red Lantern

The Emperor's Shadow

Ying xiong (Hero)

The Eye (The 2002 Chinese movie)

Stander

Kikujirô no natsu

For the past 5 or 6 years I've been watching more foreign films. Mainly Japanese and Chinese films. I find them far better than what Hollywood comes out with.

Hana-Bi (Fireworks)

Sonatine

Duo luo tian shi (Fallen Angels)

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo (Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War)

The Legend of Suriyothai

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword Of Vengeance

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart At The River Styx

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart To Hades

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart In Peril

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart In Land of Demons

Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven In Hell

Dai-bosatsu tôge (The Sword of Doom)

Zatoichi

Zatoichi (2003)

Pa Da Shuang Deng (Red Fireworks, Green Fireworks)

Raise The Red Lantern

The Emperor's Shadow

Ying xiong (Hero)

The Eye (The 2002 Chinese movie)

Stander

Kikujirô no natsu

Zatoichi is a killer film. Great film.

JO

Around 99% of all movies I see are foreign. :P

I just got done watching a French movie called 13 Tzameti. It was pretty good, I liked it quite a bit. The only problem I had with it, was the beginning was too slow, it could've been had 10 minutes or so trimmed from it. Outside of that problem, once the film really starts going the tension just keeps building.

I was trying to remember the first foreign films I watched and I remember when I was real young I watched those 1970's and 80's Kung Fu movies. The ones with those strange sound effects when they move there arms and legs and when they hit someone. I can't remember the names to those movies beacuse they had such strange titles.

La Planète sauvage (The Savage Planet)

Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto

Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple

Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island

Brotherhood of the Wolf (this movie was ok)

Le_Pacte_Des_Loups.jpg

Brotherhood of the Wolf (this movie was ok)

Le_Pacte_Des_Loups.jpg

OK? This film was great. One of the few that Mark actually kicks ass in. Then you have Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassell. And the story was pretty damn interesting. I've got the discontinued 3 disc.

JO

I posted this already in the Non-Mainstream Films thread, but these movies are so great they deserve to be mentioned again.

I just watched the Pusher Trilogy, they're fucking great. I highly recommend everyone see these movies, especially Tim, if you haven't seen these movies, you need to ASAP, I think you would love them. I've quickly become a fan of Nicolas Winding Refn, he's got a crazy looking movie called Bronson coming out, that I can't wait to see.

Pusher

P.jpg

Directed by: Nicolas Winding Refn

Written by: Jens Dahl and Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Kim Bodnia as Frank, Mads Mikkelsen as Tonny, Laura Drasbæk as Vic, Zlatko Buric as Milo, Slavko Labovic as Radovan

The first in a trilogy of danish crime films. Pusher is about Frank a low to mid level drug dealer who gets into deep shit with his supplier Milo. The movie is basically a week in Franks life as he tries to get shit straightened out with Milo but keeps descending further and further down.

Pusher II

With Blood on My Hands

PII.jpg

Written by: Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Mads Mikkelsen as Tonny, Leif Sylvester as The Duke, Kurt Nielsen as Kurt the Cunt, Øyvind Hagen-Traberg as Ø, Anne Sørensen as Charlotte, Maria Erwolter as Gry, Ilyas Agac as Mohammed

Pusher II follows the character Tonny who was pretty much just a side character in the first film as he is released from jail and tries to connect with father while finding out that he himself has child. This one is probably my favorite out of the trilogy, it makes Tonny who initially seems like an asshole in the first film into quite the sympathetic character.

Also, worth noting is the John Carpenter like like score that pops up in this movie between the rock and euro-trash pop music.

Pusher 3

I'm the Angel of Death

P3.jpg

Written by: Nicolas Winding Refn

Starring: Zlatko Buric as Milo, Marinela Dekic as Milena, Ilyas Agac as Little Mohammed, Vanja Bajicic as Branko, Kujtim Loki as Luan, Ramadan Huseini as Rexho, Slavko Labovic as Radovan

Pusher 3 follows a day in the life of Milo the Serbian drug lord who was a side character in Pusher and had a small cameo in Pusher II. Pusher 3 is probably the lightest of the trilogy as it's about Milo planning his daughter birthday party, trying his hand at selling ecstasy that was mistakenly sent to him instead of heroin and not giving into the stress and staying sober. Like I said it's probably the lightest in the series but by the end it goes to quite the dark place. Like Tonny in Pusher II, it also does quite the good job of making you feel sympathy for this person whose done some horrible things.

Though one thing I had issue with was some of the subtitling, my Croatian is pretty bad but when Milo says something that translates to "a dog fucked your mom" the subtitles were way off. But outside of a few instances it translations seemed close enough.

And finally, check out the trilogy trailer.