Sign in to follow this  
Guest AdminGuyX

Timothy Truman

Guest AdminGuyX

Now I know a certain moderator on this board who loves Truman's work as much as I do.

Grimjack was probably my first sense of how comics could be cinematic not only in the visuals, but also in the way the story is told. I mean, looks at this:

grimjack1.jpg

The cover tells a whole story. And when I saw stuff like this:

grimjack6.jpg

On the shelves, I'd just get a big dumb smile on my face. Back then, nobody was doing these kinds of stories. Now days they've been done a million times, over and over, but guys like Tim Truman, and Chuck Dixon really paved the way for stories to come. They certainly influenced my work in every way.

I have a ton of Truman's work, I'll keep on posting it, for now I have to go to work. :(

And there is this awesome story called Dragon Chiang, anybody on the boards know anything about that one??

Anybody? :D

;)

EDIT:

I wanted to scan in and share this image, it was an early influence on my style in a big fat way. This was published in 1986 as a pin-up in a comic book called EAGLE by Neil Vokes and Rich Rankin. I absolutely loved the comic, and this single image is something I still take a lot of inspiration from.

truman%20eagle.jpg

Truman is the man. B)

Just a quick message here to say that I will respond to the Truman thread in depth at some point soon.

I have a lot to say on this topic but don't have that kind of time at present.

Stay tuned.

No, seriously, check back. If you are a fan of Tim Truman you will be in for a nice surprise.

About 13 years ago Tim gave me the the only existing original artwork (4 pages) for "Dog Soldier", an unpublished concept that Tim had planned to do with Chuck Dixon prior to the disbandment of 4-Winds Publishing (an unfortunate result of Tim and Chuck's friendship taking a hit).

I'll be posting them here for the first time ANYWHERE (that I know of).

So stay tuned mates.

- TB

Can't wait to see that Tim! I have always liked Truman's work. Anyone remember his The Spider Master of Men miniseries?

Aaron

Guest AdminGuyX

OH MAN! You're killin' me. :P

YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!!

I chatted with Truman a little about Chuck's work (who's work I also love to death) on a book called "Winter World" with Jorge Zaffino, and was very sad to hear about that 4-winds situation. It's happened to all of us though, and I'm just glad it didn't make one of them leave the industry or anything. I'd love to see them work together again some day, but I know it'll never happen.

I read in Dragon Chiang that it has conceptual ties to Winter World, and man-o-man did that get the geek light burning bright in me. Love both of these stories with a serious passion.

Winter World, by the way, is one of my all time favorite comic books. I've re-read it hundreds of times. The issues are falling apart. :) If anybody here has the chance to find it (good luck) it's worth it.

I was over on the comic fan art site and I came across this. It's WESTERN month over there so I had to check it out. They had lots of great stuff, but one of my favorite western comics has always been Jonah Hex.

HexCom07Arrowss.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

I was surfing around Truman's wesite today and found some very cool images of Soloman Kane. Thought I'd share with the rest of the class, and because we had a Soloman Kane movie chat going on somewhere . . .

P1SolomonKane.jpg

SolomonKane640sepia.jpg

and for anyone interested in grim jack, jonah hex, conan, or any other Truman project, like, say, blues music or rock and roll art, his site is worth a visit!!

www.timothytruman.com

I might just have to invite him over . . .