Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

Heath Ledger · 1979 - 2008

Reminds me of a line from a song by Matthew Perryman Jones:

You've got soul under your skin.

What happens when you don't know who to let in.

Guest FADoss

I keep thinking OFFSPRING:

"Gotta Get Away"

I'm getting edgy all the time

There's someone around me just a step behind

It's kinda scary, the shape I'm in

The walls are shakin' and they're closing in

Too fast or a bit too slow

I'm paranoid of people and it's starting to show

There's one guy that I can't shake

Over my shoulder is a big mistake

Sitting on the bed

Or lying wide awake

There's demons in my head

And it's more than I can take

I think I'm on a roll

But I think it's kinda weak

Saying all I know is

I gotta get away from me

I tell you something just ain't right

My head is on loose but my shoes are tight

Avoiding my friends cause they all bug

Life is like a riddle and I'm really stumped

If you reason, don't you know

Your own preoccupation is where you'll go

I think I'm being followed, I look around

It's only my shadow creepin' on the ground

Sitting on the bed

Or lying wide awake

I think I'm on a roll

Saying all I know is

I gotta get away from me

Gotta get away from me

Gotta get away from me

Whoa...Whoa...

Whoa...Whoa...

Sitting on the bed

Or lying wide awake

I think I'm on a roll

Saying all I know is

I gotta get away from me

Gotta get away from me

Gotta get away from me

Gotta get away from me

Mediumfan,

Did you know the man? How do you know it isn't true. I said a few posts ago that if you would ignore me, I'd quit talking about it. I don't think I'm being disrespectful at all. As for people coming out of the woodwork with lies trying to get in the news, there is a very warm place in hell waiting for them.

As for the truth, it is VERY important. On to your statement about the reporting, you seem to not believe what the media is reporting unless they are refuting what you don't want to believe. You say that the news is junk, but then site NY Times and CNN as good counters to "fabrications". It's either one or the other.

Bottom line, your argument is fairly illogical.

James,

That's despicable. I think those folks will also find a nice spot in hell with plenty of Heath Ledger Commemorative DVDs to keep them company.

Frederic

NO, Doss, I didn't know the man. Did you? Why is it so important to you to discuss the dirty details of his death? And it's not HIM that I'm talking about. I'm talking about all the people who are so concerned with spreading the details of his death that they will repeat ANYTHING without regard to his life. Are you so gullible that you believe everything the media tells you? Here's a news flash for you: THEY TELL YOU WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO HEAR!

What I'm talking about is SIMPLE HUMAN DECENCY! OR is that concept foreign to you? Do you have no fucking compassion at all? Your bullshit arguments about his death being relevant because people can learn from it are what is illogical. I've said it before. Until the official details of the circumstances of his death are released by the police, the coroner, or his family, then everything that is told about his death is speculation. PERIOD. IF it is proven that his death was drug-related, or whatever, then you can talk about it all you want and use it as a lesson, but until then, it is just crude, tasteless, classless, and disrespectful to spread such rumors about him.

As for the media sharks that are in a feeding frenzy over this story, I think that you if you look at all of their reports over the last few days, you will find that a fair number of them, including the NY Times, WCBS in NYC, as well as numerous others, have either printed and then recanted the same story, or they have printed one thing and then contradicted themselves in the next story. That's why I don't believe what the media is printing about the man's death. And they are not printing facts regarding his death. But they are taking facts and adding to them for the sake of making the story more salacious.

Yes, there was a rolled-up $20 bill found at the scene, but when they reported it , it suddenly had a "suspicious substance" on it. And when it was tested, it turned up clean. That is what I'm talking about.

As for my ignoring you, that works both ways. All I'm saying is that we should have a little compassion for the man's memory and his family, and not repeat unfounded gossip until the true facts are revealed. And that includes what the media is reporting, because they don't know any more than we do.

Bottom line: SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT.

That's all I'm saying.

Guest FADoss

IF he deserves it, THEN he gets respect. Is that so ALIEN to you? Generally the first person to resort to swearing is the first to admit that their argument has no SUBSTANCE or is BASELESS. Just saying...

Also thanks for the attack on my character. Did I EVER say that I believe everything the media tells me? All I'm stating is simple fact. Let me break it down REAL SLOW...

1.) Rock stars, athletes, politicians, actors and other folks in the public eye get LOTS of media attention.

2.) The media wouldn't publish those articles etc if they didn't make LOADS of money doing so (so whose fault is it really).

3.) Folks who enter into these careers REALIZE (if they are bright) that #1 applies!!!

4.) When they then die under suspicious circumstances at a young age, it's going to be ALL OVER THE NEWS.

Now onto why the circumstances of his death are important:

1.) Guys like Heath Ledger are role models.

2.) The rumor mill will spread WITH or WITHOUT the media.

3.) The media will be one of the few sources in the end to dispel any evil rumors going on.

4.) If he died of an overdose, don't you think that's an important message to todays youth (described this above, but apparently you think telling kids to stay the hell away from drugs is "bullshit").

In short, I love your innocence. If this subject is too adult for you please keep swearing at me and resorting to poor reason and stupidity as your guide. And dropping it in this case does work both ways. Apparently, you're just as incapable as I am. :)

Frederic

Guest FADoss
Yes, there was a rolled-up $20 bill found at the scene, but when they reported it , it suddenly had a "suspicious substance" on it. And when it was tested, it turned up clean. That is what I'm talking about.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WAS CLEAN? You must have read that in the MEDIA?! But I thought they were all evil liars...

Pick and choose I guess...

Frederic

Autographed photos of Heath as the Joker are going for over $100 online. This will also apply to a great deal of all other Ledger Joker merchandise. The idea of re-releasing his DVDs in order to make some unexpected cash isn't fairly new: There are 5 different Steve McQueen Collections, 3 James Dean Collections, 10 Humphrey Bogart Collections, and the list goes on. In the end, all those products are what keeps Heath alive long (or shortly) after his death.

heathledgerisjoker18jq9.jpg

-TL

TL, where can I get me one of these beauties? I want an autograph badly.

JO

And dropping it in this case does work both ways. Apparently, you're just as incapable as I am. :)

Give us all a break and both of you can it for a while.

:mellow:

James head on over to Ebay and type in "Heath Ledger Joker". There aren't too many photographs available, but the few you'll find are fuckin impressive and expensive. I'm already watching a couple of items.

I own both his Joker magazine covers:

-Wizard (2008 Movie Preview)

-Empire (January 2008).

I know I'm gonna end up buying a Joker poster which I'll frame, but I'm waiting for a poster with a clear shot of his face - not his backside or image seen through foggy glass.

-TL

Give us all a break and both of you can it for a while.

:mellow:

I'm done with it. I refuse to have this discussion any longer with someone who is so obviously intransigent and lacking the common decency to just let someone rest in peace.

Guest FADoss

Mediumfan,

I'm sorry. No sarcasm or hatred there. I'm genuinely sorry. I just get caught up in the argument and lose my head a bit. Hope I didn't offend you too incredibly badly. I think we agree on a couple points though:

1.) Any "media" agent who's tossing out unconfirmed rumor from questionable sources is committing a grave crime against Heath Ledger's memory.

2.) Heath Ledger was an amazingly talented actor and his work, regardless of any happenings in his personal life stands as an amazing body of art.

I look at his death differently then many though. One, I look at it as an aspiring actor (who's got a pretty good resume developing and a good shot at making it). Second, as a member of the military who has dealt with death on multiple occasions and had to deal with incredibly stressful events. Third, as a scholar with a background in sociology and philosophy. This combination makes me lack a bit of compassion. I hope I haven't sounded too heartless.

As a self-made man, for the most part, I am very saddened to see someone who had it all lose it so quickly.

Once again, I'm sorry for being an ass and I too will drop it. Hope there is no love lost or bad blood...and NO Tim didn't send me a message about this. This is all me.

Frederic

Guest FADoss

Somehow distinctly not as eloquent as intransigent (a quality we both share TL)...

I don't know where he is. The way this conversation was degenerating, I expected two cents from him a day or so ago. Must be working. Yuk! :)

Frederic

No, Doss, you didn't offend me. I too get caught up in the heat of discussion when I feel strongly about something. And if any of my comments seemed like an attack on your character, I apologize as well. That was never my intent. They were intended to be directed at society in general, but as I said, I too get caught up in things sometimes.

No hard feelings.

By the way, I had to look up intransigent. GREAT WORD!!!

You're welcome. Lol! :D

Somehow distinctly not as eloquent as intransigent (a quality we both share TL)...

True confession: I share a little of that trait as well. :lol: Go figure!

I got a good word too: Boneriffic.

And where is Tim Bradstreet?

-TL

Last I heard, TL, Tim was workin' on a few projects with Tom for Bad Country and covers, etc. Very busy guy. Good though. Like to see more work from him.

JO

Lol, Doss!!

Getting back to the topic of the thread, this is my favorite performance of Heath Ledger's. Mel Gibson may have gotten top billing, but Heath's performance made the movie in my opinion. He may have gotten a lot more attention for roles in Brokeback Mountain or The Dark Knight, but this is the one that I will always remember him for.

Heath-Ledger-Mel-Gibson-in-The-Patr.jpg

heathledger.jpg

10042362AMel-Gibson-and-Heath-Ledge.jpg

Mediumfan

RIP, Heath Ledger

I first saw Heath in 10 Things I hate About You. I didn't like the film but the image of Heath playing with fire stuck with me. Then I saw him in Patriot. Then in Monster's Ball and his performance in that film scared the hell outta me. I didn't like the film besides Heath. If I watch it, I stop it after the climax that occurs with him. The anger and lust in his eyes just sucked me in. And then how the scene ended effected me on a whole new level. Next was Knight's Tale which was an ok film, besides Heath, there was Shannyn Sossamon and David Bowie's "Golden Years." But besides that it was nothing new. Then was The Order, again with Sossamon who I had fallen for by now haha. I liked that movie. Not many do but I liked it and then the surprise appearance of Peter Weller just made me like it even more. The whole idea of how it played out just fascinated me. Lords of Dogtown was an alright film. I was a skater when I was younger and knew alot about Dogtown and so on and the film did pretty good at telling the story. I enjoyed Heath's performance more than anything. He was funny, drunk, depressed and loud. Priceless. The Four Feathers and Ned Kelly were good but flawed films. Either way I enjoyed the both of them. I still have yet to see Casanova, Brokeback Mountain or Brother's Grimm but am looking foward to seeing them soon. Candy is my favorite. I read the book and loved it and then the film was just as good. Heath played with alot of emotion and I kept forgetting I was watching an actor and not a real person. It was true and innocent. Good film. I saw I'm Not There and I was a huge Bob Dylan fan since I was six years old. The film was good and Heath played a good part. He looked different but played it perfectly as did Bale. The Dark Knight will be soon.

JO

10 Things I Hate About You is a good film, obviously its a teen comedy and not anything serious but its not bad for what it was. I think Heath and Julia Stiles were great in it, and I always hoped they would team up again. Unfortunately that's not going to happen now.

I thought The Patriot was a good film as well, but we all know the best part of the 3 hour film is Mel Gibson ripping up redcoats with a hatchet in order to free Heath. That scene which takes place 30 minutes into the film really had me pumped, but in a strange twist the picture goes downhill from there. And Heath gets killed which makes things more ridiculous considering that Mel's other son had already been slained. He shoulda gone Rambo on the British instead of all George Washington.

I really enjoyed Ned Kelly for the gunfighting involving Heath - the guy blew a hole in a guy's eye socket. The horse-blood drinking scene disturbed the shit outta me but it just adds to the overall crazyness that drives that film. 10 Things was Heath's intro into American Cinema, and I think very few actors can pull off a cool/slick entrance the way he did. Though I think his exit will be just hypnotic...

heathledgerisjoker11tw8.jpgheathledgerisjoker13is9.jpgheathledgerisjoker12ad5.jpg

THE DARK KNIGHT

JULY 18, 2008

-TL

From the very start, even when we were given just glimpses of Heath as the JOKER, I was excited about his role. He will bring us a JOKER like we have never seen before and I am more excited than ever to watch his perfomance. As a man of faith and belief in a higher power, I truely hope Heath Ledger is in a wonderful place.

Guest FADoss
From the very start, even when we were given just glimpses of Heath as the JOKER, I was excited about his role. He will bring us a JOKER like we have never seen before and I am more excited than ever to watch his perfomance. As a man of faith and belief in a higher power, I truely hope Heath Ledger is in a wonderful place.

Me too! I was pumped as soon as I heard his name mentioned!!! Also, 10 Things I Hate About You wasn't your typical teen movie...as it was based on Taming of the Shrew. Great film and loved both him and Julia in it. I remember saying after seeing the film, THAT GUY is going to be someone big in acting.

Frederic

In the trailer there is a scene that just stops me in my tracks...It is where the Joker is seated and the camera is angled down towards him and he is looking up, but mostly with just his eyes, not to much lift of the head... There is something in the look in his eye that says he is no longer Heath, he is now the Joker...it's chilling

"Evening...Commissioner. Why so serious???"

heathledgerisjoker15bzm2.jpg

Here's an interview with Heath where he talks about playing the Joker:

http://www.allocine.fr/video/laminute/defa...a=18746255.html

And here's a video of Heath shooting a scene as the Joker:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Ho....1.1&sflg=1

-TL