Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

Heath Ledger · 1979 - 2008

What the hell is going on?? Another shock to the system - actor Heath Ledger is dead, possibly from drugs.

Here is a news article, one of many now being posted online:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080122/ap_en_mo/obit_ledger

Once again, Heath Ledger was an actor whose career I've been following for a long time. So sad. :(

Jen

I can't believe this shit. I mean the stuff with Brad I could understand, he was always involved with drugs but this is mind blowing.

I'm at a loss for words. His promising career is no more.

RIP Heath

JO

If my ears heard wrong, my news just said they found heath Dead in a hotel or something.

He was one of my favorite actors to, I thought he was pretty awesome in some movies.

But still Is the new Batman movie done filming? Cuz he was the joker in it.

Yeah he was found dead in a Manhattan apartment. It was actually Mary Kate Olsen's apartment. He was scheduled to have a massage and when the masseuse arrived, the housekeeper went to go notify Heath and she found him naked on his bed. He was dead and had some sleeping pills next to him.

To answer your question J, yes the movie has been wrapped up and they're just touching it up while they're still in post production. The trailer has already been released if you haven't seen it just take a look on youtube or something. It should also be released on t.v. for the Superbowl.

-Raf

Yeah he was found dead in a Manhattan apartment. It was actually Mary Kate Olsen's apartment. He was scheduled to have a massage and when the masseuse arrived, the housekeeper went to go notify Heath and she found him naked on his bed. He was dead and had some sleeping pills next to him.

To answer your question J, yes the movie has been wrapped up and they're just touching it up while they're still in post production. The trailer has already been released if you haven't seen it just take a look on youtube or something. It should also be released on t.v. for the Superbowl.

-Raf

thanks man, but still it sucks that he died.

Guest FADoss

Well I heard it here first. How tragic. Looks like another talented soul lost to the abuse of drugs. :(

They said it was sleeping pills and some suspect foul play due to the fact that he didn't care for drugs. Sounds like another River Phoenix case. I'm pissed about this. He was just getting started and now he's already gone.

JO

Apologies for changing the topic title of the Heath and Brad threads.

Felt a bit morbid and ghoulish for my taste.

And Jen, I know that was not your intent.

The media will have a field day with both but I'd rather take the opportunity here on the RAW forum to remember them well.

Heath Ledger is a heavy loss (not to slight Brad but this is the Heath thread).

I myself was a major fan of Heath's work, even the not so critically acclaimed stuff, because he had that wonderful balance of natural acting chops and charisma.

He was born to be a leading man and carried it well. His presence in future film projects will be sorely missed by me.

And for those that knew him and loved him, my heavy heart goes out to you.

Let the media and other feeding frenzies prognosticate the circumstances of his death.

I'd rather celebrate his life.

- TB

THIS IS GOD-DAMN BULLSHIT! People are dying like roadkill, and I for one am tired of it.

Heath has left his mark and no-one can fuck with it. If it was suicide then so be it. If it was accidental then so be it. In 6 months we'll see the best of Heath and unfortunately the last...

heathledgerisjoker17yc0.jpg

-TL

Word is he pneumonia and insomnia, so it's most likely accidental. He was a good actor, and it stinks he's gone, guaranteed in another 10 years or so he would've had an Oscar.

TL, depending on how much work he finished, he could still be appearing in Terry Gilliams next movie. That man is one of the most unluckiest directors.

I don't think he finished The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, but it'll still be released - bringin back memories of James Dean in Giant.

For those that aren't very familiar with Heath's work, here is his complete filmography:

-Clowning Around (1992)

-BlackRock (1997)

-Paws (1997)

-10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

-Two Hands (1999)

-The Patriot (2000)

-A Knight's Tale (2001)

-Monster's Ball (2001)

-The Four Feathers (2002)

-Ned Kelly (2003)

-The Order (2003)

-Lords of Dogtown (2005)

-The Brothers Grimm (2005)

-Brokeback Mountain (2005)

-Casanova (2005)

-Candy (2006)

-I'm Not There (2007)

-The Dark Knight (2008)

I've seen almost all of the films listed above except for the first 3 and the Bob Dylan movie. I KNOW that The Dark Knight will be his definitive piece.

heathledgerisjoker7nl9.jpg

-TL

I don't think he finished The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, but it'll still be released - bringin back memories of James Dean in Giant.

For those that aren't very familiar with Heath's work, here is his complete filmography:

-Clowning Around (1992)

-BlackRock (1997)

-Paws (1997)

-10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

-Two Hands (1999)

-The Patriot (2000)

-A Knight's Tale (2001)

-Monster's Ball (2001)

-The Four Feathers (2002)

-Ned Kelly (2003)

-The Order (2003)

-Lords of Dogtown (2005)

-The Brothers Grimm (2005)

-Brokeback Mountain (2005)

-Casanova (2005)

-Candy (2006)

-I'm Not There (2007)

-The Dark Knight (2008)

I've seen almost all of the films listed above except for the first 3 and the Bob Dylan movie. I KNOW that Dark Knight will be his definitive piece.

heathledgerisjoker7nl9.jpg

-TL

I, for one, was a big fan of Heath. I liked alot of films that got panned at the box office and by critics. In my opinion Heath was the best part about Monster's Ball and he's the one that left the mark on me from the film, his scenes were crucial. I am a big fan of the films The Order and Candy. He was hilarious in Lords of Dogtown. I saw I'm Not There, the big Bob Dylan fan I am, and thought he played the part good as well as the rest of the cast. The Dark Knight will be the striking point. It will be the film he is remembered for much like James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause. The Joker makeup will be iconic like the red jacket and millions will try to mimic that laugh of his. Are there any other films I should check out TL. I haven't seen Casanova, Brokeback Mountain or Brother's Grim. Are they worth a look?

JO

A look back at a fallen Leading Man...

10thingsihateaboutyouzd2.jpg

aknightstalepc3.jpg

thefourfeathersky5.jpg

nedkellyez4.jpg

theorderse1.jpg

thebrothersgrimmxu2.jpg

brokebackmountainkx3.jpg

casanovabf1.jpg

candycl0.jpg

darkknightteaser4vp6.jpg

JO, Casanova was really fun to watch (Sienna) and Heath got the nomination for Brokeback, so you oughtta check those out. I agree with you on the Rebel comparison, he will achieve Iconic status with The Dark Knight and if Gilliam's film was somewhat completed, then it will be reminiscent of Dean's last.

-TL

Guest FADoss

Everything I've seen points to the fact that it was HIS apartment (his MAID found him). Not sure where the Olsen twin reference above came from. I ask you to check you sources when talking about a man's death.

Frederic

FX (cable) is playing The Order right now. And in the Olsen connection, apparently she either owned the apartment or had just been living in it.

-TL

I heard the same. He owned many apartments because he said he doesn't like living in one place for too long so he would use different ones at different times depending on mood and location. I've heard she was there before and then left and then he was found. But as for now I can't believe any of this scandal crap. He was a good man and should be treated as such. The news people should fuck off.

Alright, thanks TL. I'll check 'em out.

JO

The media HAS to take advantage of this because of the implications that come with it. We've reached a point in Hollywood that seems to be deteriorating more and more. Too many people are on the shit and too many people are dying from it. It used to be a shocker when these things would happen, now its becoming mundane - and that entire concept is just disturbing. I don't understand why some people do what they do, but aside from bad habits they're still great people. Heath left behind a legacy, and it will overshadow any bad thoughts on his memory. Still, this terrible truth is further evidence that narcotics are America's real enemy, that for some reason we're rotting from the inside through all this poison that's either prescribed or sold in the street.

Whatever took Heath from the world won't take what he left behind. Specially what's yet to come...

-TL

I was stunned when I saw it this morning. I could't belive it. He was a great actor... Feels wierd just writing it.

My thoughts go to his ex-wife and their daughter.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, this one hurts for film fans, doesn't it? He was really poised to do some of the best work of his career, which would have been long and interesting, I'm sure.

I had heard he was fighting a substance abuse problem from when he was a kid. He had a troubled childhood. He was also rumoured to do quite a bit of drinking. You mix sleeping pills and drinking, well . . .

I really didn't like Brokeback Mountain, but I was still very much in awe of his acting choices in it, and the way he chose to inhabit the character was fascinating. I liked The Order. I enjoyed Knights Tale, and The Patriot. I loved Brothers Grimm. It was a flawed film, but also very dreamlike and fun. I thought he and Matt Damon had excellent chemistry.

My understanding is that The Joker was hard for him to get over, and he was having problems sleeping because he couldn't shake what he went through to become that character. Plus he was working long hours on Giliams new film, and it was just messing him up.

Gilliam is one of my favorite filmmakers, and my heart is just broken over all of this.

When I first saw that Dark Knight trailer, I was really at a loss for words. There's something about the way he played the Joker that's disturbingly sinister. The Joker is no joke. I am in awe of his portrayal and I think it may be a factor in all of this. Nicholson went through alot of shit when he shot The Shining, I wouldn't be surprised if Heath had to become psychotic to play a psychotic. The performance feels very personal. Almost too close to the actor.

heathledgerisjoker3ma1.jpg

-TL

What would be interesting to see are the journals he kept while becoming the Joker and the ones he kept in character of the Joker. It is said he discussed everything in there from AIDS to funny gags, etc. He would keep track of everything but would forget simple things when becoming the Joker like when he last ate, what day it was, last time he slept and for how long. Whatever he came up with was in those things. Those would be an interesting read to understand what he was goin' through and how he felt.

JO

does suck that he died. He was really one of those actors that you'd think wouldn't die like that, but of old age.

Sad to say The Dark knight will be his last, but it sure will be the best.

And just now on the news I just heard that people are protesting his memorial (which I beleive these are the church people) because they said he promoted homersexuality in brokeback mountain.

When are these friggin people goin to grow up? Someone died, and they are going to protest against his memorial? Whats wrong with these sick people?

While it is sad and tragic to hear of such a young and talented artist being taken from this world so suddenly, what is even sadder still, is the degree of callousness with which supposed "journalists" treat his death. Since the news broke yesterday, I have seen literally dozens upon dozens of posts in everything from gossip blogs to magazine sites to supposedly reputable news outlets, and the degree of avarice with which they have covered this story is just disgusting, and nothing short of revolting. Without pausing to consider the potential impact that their "reporting", which really amounts to nothing more than gossip-mongering, will have on Heath Ledger's family, his friends, his peers, and even his memory, they have devoured every salacious bit of hearsay, and turned it into reported "truths", when the fact is that not one of these people has the first inkling about the man or the events surrounding his death, and are simply taking bits and pieces of rumors and gossip and spreading them as facts. Not one of them knows for a fact what happened in his apartment at the time of his death, nor do they know the details of his life that he did not want them to know. All they know is what they've heard, and they take every dirty little tidbit and twist it and blow it out of proportion until what is left of his memory is tarnished beyond repair. Because no matter what the actual outcome or cause of his death, all that will be remembered will be the sordid rumors that have been spread by gossip mongers who write such filth in the name of journalism. They are doing nothing to honor his memory by telling such lies, and their "sadness" at his passing and their "RIPs" spread throughout every trashy article just make me sick.

The number of lies and falsehoods that have been spread and recanted is piling up faster than a pile of corndog sticks at a county fair. It has been said that he was in Mary Kate Olsen's apartment, that there were pills scattered around his body, that there were drugs in the apartment, that there was a "rolled up $20 bill" in the apartment, that he had been battling drug and alcohol addictions, and countless other rumors. And the only person who knows the truth is the one whose memory is being shredded by these lies. The hordes of paparazzi hovering outside the apartment building to get a picture of his body being removed was just one more indignity to add to the many that these people have already heaped on his memory.

This may be the age of the internet and "instant gratification", where we have immediate access to everyone at all times, and there is no such thing as privacy anymore, but the saddest thing is that for that "all-access-pass" that the internet grants us to celebrities lives, we seem to have traded our own morals and our sense of right and wrong. There is no such thing as respect anymore, not even for the dead.

Heath Ledger will be sorely missed by those who knew him and loved him, both personally and as an actor, so let's try not to stain his memory with gossip and conjecture that can only serve to bring more pain to his family and friends. Please try to treat his death with some degree of dignity and respect.

RIP Heath Ledger, 1979-2008

RIP Suzanne Pleshette, 1938-2008

RIP Brad Renfro, 1982-2008

RIP Allan Melvin, 1923-2008

RIP Lois Nettleton, 1927-2008

May you all find peace everlasting.

Mediumfan

Guest FADoss

Well the truth will come out and I'm sure there was evidence left and people who KNEW him and what he was doing. Heath was not the only one who knew his life.

As for respecting the dead:

IF he had a drug problem and died of an overdose I think it's important that everyone know. I think that BECAUSE he chose to live his life in the fortune/fame category. He needs to be an example of someone else who was incredibly talented and destroyed his life with drugs. Now notice the IF!!!

As for the callousness of the media, I have said this a million times before. If you want to make $10M a picture, you're going to sell your soul to the media. It comes with the program and all the Julia Roberts and Sean Penns out there KNEW or should have KNOWN what came with the ballgame. There's a real easy way to get the media to leave you alone. DON'T BE FAMOUS! They leave me alone. No paparazzi outside my house...and no $20M in my bank account...

AND, be BORING. They tend to leave guys like Matt Damon alone for the most part as well.

Also, try not to die face down naked with sleeping pills nearby. That's a hell of a way to get rumors started.

I hate to be crude hear, because I LOVE Heath's work and am VERY saddened to lose his talent. BUT, I have little sympathy for folks like Kurt Cobain and the like that can't handle being abundantly wealthy, extremely talented etc. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope that Heath wasn't a Kurt.

Frederic

There's still speculation Doss about Cobain. From people that knew him and how he loved his daughter they still say it's unlikely that he killed himself. I'm not goin' to argue with anyone, I'm just saying whether it be suicide or accidental they should be respected for how they lived either way.

JO