Gail

Fedcon 2019

Great pics guys - hope you’ve all had a fab time!! 👍👍

Awesome pics gang! Totally digging the Miller hunt and the tshirt representing! 

And wait for the chocolate stories from Chris and Al 😉 they had the Expanse cast wrapped around their little finger. 

42 minutes ago, Enaira said:

And wait for the chocolate stories from Chris and Al 😉 they had the Expanse cast wrapped around their little finger. 

Look forward to hearing about it. Was Anthony Daniels good? 

Anthony Daniels has rocked the auditorium. As we say in Germany "he was the hammer" and "I was out of my socks" 😁

It was really clear that he has practized this excerice for a long time. Being on a stage, playing his role is his dream situation. At the same time, a certain improvisation was possible since he interacted with the fans and reacted accordingly. Respect.

Basically it was a one hour monologue, he explained anecdots from the past 43 years and now and then he asked the fans a question or took a question.

He started by thanking us because since 3 generations we are paying for his salary 😄

He explained that during one of the first scenes on Tatoïn, R2D2 would no stop at the end of the scene and rammed him twice in the legs coming from behind. The third time, Anthony moved aside and let R2D2 fall down the stairs... he played this on stage with a fan dressed as R2D2.

He answered also to the question what was his favorite line. The most often spoken were "oh dear" and "we are doomed". But his favorite is explaining to Han that the Ewoks will have a banquet in C3PO's honor (they think he is a god) and eat him.

He explained how he got the role: first meeting, he didn't care (he wanted to be a serious theater actor! Not play in an unknown SF kind of movie) but met G. Lucas and say the C3PO's drawings and fell in love. Second meeting he was really nervous then!

He explained that G. Lucas cast several people for his voice before accepting/admitting, that his own voice was the best.

He explained how he fell due to an uneven floor during the last take of ??? (the empire strikes back?). The C3PO costume was ruined. Fortunately, the general take was finished and they just had a close-up to make. So the decision was quickly taken to cut the costume in half and let him play with just the mask and the shoulder part on !

He was great.

It was an honor to see/meet him.

In the evening he went out and in of the lobby catching a taxi to have dinner downtown. Always grinning. I believe he really enjoys his life and meeting the fans.

38 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Anthony Daniels has rocked the auditorium. As we say in Germany "he was the hammer" and "I was out of my socks" 😁

It was really clear that he has practized this excerice for a long time. Being on a stage, playing his role is his dream situation. At the same time, a certain improvisation was possible since he interacted with the fans and reacted accordingly. Respect.

Basically it was a one hour monologue, he explained anecdots from the past 43 years and now and then he asked the fans a question or took a question.

He started by thanking us because since 3 generations we are paying for his salary 😄

He explained that during one of the first scenes on Tatoïn, R2D2 would no stop at the end of the scene and rammed him twice in the legs coming from behind. The third time, Anthony moved aside and let R2D2 fall down the stairs... he played this on stage with a fan dressed as R2D2.

He answered also to the question what was his favorite line. The most often spoken were "oh dear" and "we are doomed". But his favorite is explaining to Han that the Ewoks will have a banquet in C3PO's honor (they think he is a god) and eat him.

He explained how he got the role: first meeting, he didn't care (he wanted to be a serious theater actor! Not play in an unknown SF kind of movie) but met G. Lucas and say the C3PO's drawings and fell in love. Second meeting he was really nervous then!

He explained that G. Lucas cast several people for his voice before accepting/admitting, that his own voice was the best.

He explained how he fell due to an uneven floor during the last take of ??? (the empire strikes back?). The C3PO costume was ruined. Fortunately, the general take was finished and they just had a close-up to make. So the decision was quickly taken to cut the costume in half and let him play with just the mask and the shoulder part on !

He was great.

It was an honor to see/meet him.

In the evening he went out and in of the lobby catching a taxi to have dinner downtown. Always grinning. I believe he really enjoys his life and meeting the fans.

Thank you. I loved reading that. 

Thanks for the report Enaira!

We still have one more day, but you'll get a full report soon... What I can say is that the cast is absolutely adorable with the fans (not that I had any doubts about it) and that they seemed to love being here.

Hey everyone!

Finally, we’re back from Fedcon. After five amazing days and a 8 hours journey by car, it was quite difficult to go back to work this week… But as promised, here’s a recap of the weekend :)

It was a great convention, with warm atmosphere. As often with those big events, there were some minor problems in the organisation , but the staff was always nice and helpful. We arrived thursday, and decided to go to the con to get our pass. We even had the chance to drink a beer just next to some of the actors/actresses of the Expanse on the terrace of the hotel!

Friday, we visited Bonn, as there were no panels or events about The Expanse. It’s a very charming city, with a beautiful old town and some interesting museums. I even found the official comic book of the Expanse at a bookshop there, which was nice, because there weren’t a lot of The Expanse merch at Fedcon. Not even books or t-shirts… We went back to Fedcon in the evening to attend the opening ceremony, where part of the Expanse cast were present. We stayed a bit after that to grab a beer at the bar -german beers, I mean, that was not to be missed.

Saturday was a very busy day, and we spent it with Enaira from the RAW forum! It was really amazing to be able to meet her and discuss with her, about Raw, Thomas Jane, The Expanse and many more subjects. As you can see from the pictures on her Instagram, we had a great time together.

As she went listening to some panels int the afternoon, Chris and I went to get autographs from the cast of the Expanse. There was an impressive queue for the actors of Star Trek Discovery, but nearly none for the others. So, we were able to chat a bit with all of them, and that was interesting! They were all so sweet and adorable, happy to talk about the show or themselves.

So, here comes the chocolate story... Chris and I decided to bring swiss chocolate to give to the cast at the Autograph Session. And they all adored it! So, as Enaira said, it might be possible that they remembered us well during the weekend because of that xD

Anyway, it was a nice moment. After that, we went to the panel about the serie in the evening, where all the actors were present to discuss the show. The general feeling is that they have a lot of fun filming the show, and that they were glad to finally be able to meet their European fans. They said they were proud and lucky to work in this show, because of its themes, its way of reflecting our present, its diversity and its excellent cast. They talked about their respective character and their journey since season one. The cast also shared some funny anecdotes, how they were approached before getting the role, how hard it was to shoot zero G scenes or shooting while wearing space suits, and answered some fan questions. Both Cas Anvar and Steven Strait mentioned Miller when asked which other character of the show they would have liked to play. A great panel!

On Sunday and Monday, they each had a solo panel, except for Steven Strait and Wes Chatham, who were together on Sunday morning. From their panel, we learned that Steven was a big fan of the books before they started the serie and that he actually is a producer on the show. Among other things, he oversaw the planning of his fellow cast mates -Wes described him as a “party killer”, as Steven was always checking they didn’t party or drink too much the evenings before shooting xD. Wes told us some hilarious anecdotes. How he had to shoot a scene from episode one in Toronto while his wife was giving birth in California, and how that kind of distracted him “a little”, as he had to finish shooting before jumping in a plane to go see her. And the time the technic crew forgot him while he was suspended head down in a space suit at a very high distance from the ground for a scene in season two…

*THE EXPANSE SEASON 3 SPOILERS*

Steven also said shooting season 3 was both challenging and funny, especially the parts where Holden sees the ghost of Miller. He talked about how they approached this interaction with Thomas Jane, and how working with him was great and a privilege. He said he learned a lot from him, and now counted him as a friend.

*END OF SPOILERS*

The next panel was with Shohreh Aghdashloo, and I must say I didn’t expect it to be so moving. Besides her role in the Expanse, she talked about her work as an activist. She was born in Iran, and uses her visibility to raise awareness about what happened and still happens over there. She told us how after doing a film about stoning, she received a lot of backlash and even death threats. She filmed a movie about the Armenian Genocide and was apparently told by Turkey that she wasn’t welcome in the country anymore. But she added that she will never get silenced and received a standing ovation from the entire room. Not only is she a kind and generous human being, but also a truly inspiring role model and courageous woman. She announced us that her next film will be a horror movie, Run sweetheart, run, produced by the same team behind Get out. She told us an hilarious anecdote about that time in The Expanse she had to console her husband in the show as he was complaining about her character being gone… And how she told those exact lines to her own husband that night when he was phoning her to complain about how much he was missing her!

Cas Anvar’s Panel was lighter, but as interesting. He said he was kind of a science geek, and studied biology before turning to acting. He praised The Expanse for its accuracy about that point, and how meticulous they tried to be to reflect at best what living in space would be. He also said how proud he was about the diversity of the cast in the show, and how he was tired of being offered stereotypical roles of thugs or taxi driver. When asked if the actors were allowed to improvise on the set, he explained that the cast was involved in the writing room. They can discuss with the writers at that time, but not after, as they have to remain coherent with events that will/would happen in potential future seasons. He finally showed us a video narrated by him and summarising the two first seasons in a couple of minutes. Which was kind of an exploit, as the show is very dense and complicated!

We went to see the cosplay contest that evening, and some costumes were truly breath-taking! If we can find some pictures, we can post them here.

Finally, Monday we had the last two panels. First, Dominique Tipper spoke about her role as Naomi Nagata, and how she happened to be a crafty person as well. She told us a lot about the relation between her character and Drummer, as well as her personal relationship with the actress Cara Gee, who couldn’t be at Fedcon this year unfortunately. The two get along very well, and their chemistry is quite palpable on the screen. She spoke about her experience as a mixed-race woman in the film industry, and how shooting zero G scenes was a good way to develop her musculature.

Frankie Adams was the last panel of the weekend. She talked about how she became an actress, and how her carrier started in a soap show that is very popular in New Zealand. She discussed the way she was cast as Bobbie Drapper, and how her interpretation of the character is a little bit different from the books. She revealed that her costume of the power armure weights 25 kilos, 30 with the helmet! So yeah, it’s quite a physical role, but she managed it well, as she used to be an athlete in her youth.

And… that’s it. We left after this panel, as we had a long journey by car to go home. I understand that the panels were filmed, so maybe you’ll be able to have a more complete version of those discussions hopefully :) Besides, some peole seem to have followed all the panels and were able to interview the cast. If you’re interested, you can take a look at this twitter account: https://twitter.com/deltaquebec87

Even though Thomas wasn’t there, it surely was an amazing weekend, full of meetings and emotions. The cast of The Expanse was adorable, funny and happy to be there with us. Hope they will come next year as well now! And of course, meeting a member of RAW was a unique and amazing experience ;)

Brilliant report. Loved reading it and in doing so share your experience. Thank you for taking the time to do it. 

Thank you Al for the report! Couldn't have done it better ;)
Here are some pics of the weekend...

img_1111.jpg

img_1112.jpg

img_1115.jpg

img_1145.jpg

img_1132.jpg

img_1131.jpg

img_1133.jpg

img_1129.jpg

img_1127.jpg

img_1126.jpg

img_1125.jpg

img_1121.jpg

And some pics of the panels. Sorry for the poor quality, we were seating at the back of the conference room for most of them.

img_1114.jpg

img_1122.jpg

img_1116.jpg

img_1117.jpg

img_1118.jpg

img_1123.jpg

img_1138.jpg

img_1140.jpg

img_1142.jpg

img_1143.jpg

img_1144.jpg

img_1146.jpg

img_1147.jpg

7 hours ago, Chris Sue said:

img_1115.jpg

I loved that ride! So goood looking!!

7 hours ago, Chris Sue said:

img_1121.jpg

By the way, changing the "brown goo" into blue sparks was genius.

Huge thanks to Ariane, Chris Sue and AI for sharing their experience with us - great reports and brilliant pics have brought it all to life, hope I can make it to a con. event sometime soon! 🤞

23 hours ago, Al. said:

As she went listening to some panels int the afternoon, Chris and I went to get autographs from the cast of the Expanse. There was an impressive queue for the actors of Star Trek Discovery, but nearly none for the others. So, we were able to chat a bit with all of them, and that was interesting! They were all so sweet and adorable, happy to talk about the show or themselves.

So, here comes the chocolate story... Chris and I decided to bring swiss chocolate to give to the cast at the Autograph Session. And they all adored it! So, as Enaira said, it might be possible that they remembered us well during the weekend because of that xD

Well ... I would allow myself to add a bit more details about the chocolate stories if you don't mind. I was not attending the autograph sessions, so I can only add comments from what I heard, please correct if I'm wrong. The first autograph was Frankie if I remember well and she was nice but not especially over friendly (normal). You gave her the chocolate only after the autograph was signed and then she beamed with joy and you were able to have some small talk with her. Now strong with this experience, you decided to give first the chocolate to the others, and then ask for the autograph, which was a clever move: the actors were a lot more relaxed and ready to discuss a bit if they had received such a great present 🙂  Now comes Cas: you had two types of chocolate to choose from and he couldn't decide... so Chris Sue told him he could have both cause she likes the pilot so much ... But Wes was sitting next to him and complained, playing around as if to steal the chocolate from him...

23 hours ago, Al. said:

He finally showed us a video narrated by him and summarising the two first seasons in a couple of minutes. Which was kind of an exploit, as the show is very dense and complicated!

Would that be the video?

23 hours ago, Al. said:

Finally, Monday we had the last two panels. First, Dominique Tipper spoke about her role as Naomi Nagata, and how she ht. If you’re interested, you can take a look at this twitter account: https://twitter.com/deltaquebec87

Even though Thomas wasn’t there, it surely was an amazing weekend, full of meetings and emotions. The cast of The Expanse was adorable, funny and happy to be there with us. Hope they will come next year as well now! And of course, meeting a member of RAW was a unique and amazing experience ;)

Nice to "see" you Al on Twitter with such a handsome and sympathetic guy at your side!

I can just agree once more how great it was to spend the day with you two and that the chemistry was perfect from the first minute on. Hope to meet with you again and some other RAW members.

And you know what is the best part of the "chocolate story"? I also received a chocolate present from Switzerland 😋😃 Thank you so much RAW friends! It was a real surprise and I could feel like I'm one of the cast of the Expanse !

And now my last bit about FedCon... on Saturday I attended two parallel sessions in the smaller conf rooms. The first one was a retrospective of the Sci-Fi art during the 60's. It was a really well documented session, feeling as if we were in a time capsule. The room was full and the speaker was passionate, all in all a very atmospheric session. Here are some of the mentioned music and films:

The Spotnicks: 

TV show "Mr. Terrific" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Terrific_(TV_series)

and the german version of it with the somewhat really ridiculous name of "always when he swallowed pills" ... !! The opening video below is the german version, with rhymes!

Then Barbarella was mentioned, of course. Each time he showed us several minutes of the videos, allowing to really sink in the 60's feeling 😎

And he finished the speech (he showed us much more than that but I didn't take notes 😞 with 2001: a space odyssee.

The second session in the afternoon was a stand up comedian from UK named Steve Dix. I won't try to write down his jokes here, this is hopeless on my side. His show was good! nicely done and always with Sci-Fi and fan humor as a continuous line. I only found a video of FedCon 2015 here: 

See you,

Enaira

It all sounds brilliant. Glad everyone got a lot out of going. 

On 6/13/2019 at 11:42 PM, Geoff said:

Brilliant report. Loved reading it and in doing so share your experience. Thank you for taking the time to do it. 

18 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

Huge thanks to Ariane, Chris Sue and AI for sharing their experience with us - great reports and brilliant pics have brought it all to life, hope I can make it to a con. event sometime soon! 🤞

It was a pleasure to represent Raw over there. And thanks Chris for the nice pics 😊

18 hours ago, Enaira said:

Well ... I would allow myself to add a bit more details about the chocolate stories if you don't mind. I was not attending the autograph sessions, so I can only add comments from what I heard, please correct if I'm wrong. The first autograph was Frankie if I remember well and she was nice but not especially over friendly (normal). You gave her the chocolate only after the autograph was signed and then she beamed with joy and you were able to have some small talk with her. Now strong with this experience, you decided to give first the chocolate to the others, and then ask for the autograph, which was a clever move: the actors were a lot more relaxed and ready to discuss a bit if they had received such a great present 🙂  Now comes Cas: you had two types of chocolate to choose from and he couldn't decide... so Chris Sue told him he could have both cause she likes the pilot so much ... But Wes was sitting next to him and complained, playing around as if to steal the chocolate from him...

Actually, Frankie was one of the last we saw for the autograph session that day. She was super nice from the beginning, and they all were. But they surely became even more nicer after they received the chocolate indeed! 😆 That helped a lot breaking the ice and starting the conversation, especially as I am a bit shy and quickly impressed.

And it's Frankie who said that she had to hide her chocolate from Wes, as she presumed he would be tempted to steal it. And if that was not the case, she added she would steal his! As we said it, they have a lot of fun together and that's quiet obvious.

Would that be the video?

That's the one! Thank you, you surely are a true detective, just like Miller 😉

And I'm impressed by your memory as well! Remembering all those details...

Nice to "see" you Al on Twitter with such a handsome and sympathetic guy at your side!

I can just agree once more how great it was to spend the day with you two and that the chemistry was perfect from the first minute on. Hope to meet with you again and some other RAW members.

And you know what is the best part of the "chocolate story"? I also received a chocolate present from Switzerland 😋😃 Thank you so much RAW friends! It was a real surprise and I could feel like I'm one of the cast of the Expanse !

He's quiet nice indeed 😊 (Yeah, you can find a picture of me with Cas Anvar somewhere on Twitter now...)

Well, it was as pleasant and intersesting to meet you as it was to meet the cast, so you deserve the chocolate as much as they do 😃 And thanks for the report of your panels!

Oh, and I found a video of Steven Strait talking a bit about Thomas Jane, as mentionned in my previous post. Click HERE to see it on Twitter, quiet interesting!