Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

Dark Country clip to screen at Sundance Film Festival

My apologies for cross-posting this (it's in Thomas Jane section too), but it's great news! --

Tom has just confirmed that on January 19th, 2008, at the 3D Forum at the Sundance Film Festival, they'll be showing a 3-minute clip of Dark Country! But don't take my word for it - here's his message to you:

"I won’t be there, but my film will! 3 minutes of glorious 3D footage shown to a house of multitudes! Speaker RAY ZONE – grandfather of 3D COMICS and FATHER of the new age of 3D CINEMA will be on hand to introduce our clip and raise questions!

Yes, RAY ZONE was our ‘3D SUPERVISOR’ during shooting on DARK COUNTRY and will remain so during the post of the show! If it wasn’t for Ray, I would not have made this film in 3D. And therefore would not have gotten the cash, and never made the film!! So Thanks RAY ZONE for the guiding extra-dimensional light! I will never make/direct a 2D film again. It’s just too damn fun making 3D.

the lenses, the cameras, the puzzle-solving – it never ends! And it all started with a little 3D comic called BAD PLANET #3 (in BLAZING SUPER-TERROR 3D!!)

that’s when I got back in touch with Ray Zone and all the great 3D comics he had delivered.

it reignited a fire within and I’ve never looked back.

TJ"

Jen

Also, FYI, I had posted this to my Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group a few days ago about said event:

Exclusive Screening of Dark Country clip at Sundance Festival.

Here are some details and link to full article:

"Update (Jan 10th): Attendees and panelists will be viewing an

exclusive first glimpse of Thomas Jane's "The Dark Country" - 3 minutes

of glorious 3D. More info when I get it!"

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/01/3d-i...hollywood-mega-

executives.html

Jen

My apologies for cross-posting this (it's in Thomas Jane section too), but it's great news! --

Tom has just confirmed that on January 19th, 2008, at the 3D Forum at the Sundance Film Festival, they'll be showing a 3-minute clip of Dark Country! But don't take my word for it - here's his message to you:

So today is the day they show a 3-minute clip of Dark Country.

Yeah, wouldn't it be cool to be able to see that? I can't wait to see what this film looks like. I wonder how long we have to wait to see a trailer for it.

Yeah, wouldn't it be cool to be able to see that? I can't wait to see what this film looks like. I wonder how long we have to wait to see a trailer for it.

Ack - there's hardly any news of the screening online as far as I can tell! :blink:

Just one in-the-know person and one visitor at Sundance have mentioned it in their blogs, but without any details...

Anyone hear any more details? Anyone here who was actually there?? :lol:

Jen

Strange that there isn't at least something out there in reference to the 3D sizzle trailer from it's unveiling at Sundance.

So hoping to get a little light shed on the subject I spoke with Dark Country 3D FX producer, Ray 3D Zone, who had the pleasure of introducing the clip at the festival.

According to Ray the proceedings were a bit wonky and while they were showing clips for U2 3D a bulb went out in the projector, after it was fixed they showed all of the 3D clips back to back as opposed to individually. So audience members were deluged with U2 3D, Scar, Dark Country, and Cameron's Avatar.

Audience response to Dark Country was overwhelmingly positive, and Ray mentioned that U2 3D director, Catherine Owens was particularly thrilled by it.

All in all folks were very impressed.

I had an opportunity to view this clip in 3D on Monday while visiting our post production facilities and I was stunned at how cool it was.

Our original sizzle reel was edited more tightly, some new scenes were added, and they re-scored our original temp track with music we actually had rights to ;)

It was a tighter, more impressive animal to be sure. I'd only ever viewed the sizzle reel in 2D so it was a real pleasure to see the tightened version in full 3D!

So I'd say it went very well indeed.

I'm itching to share some other very exciting news pertaining to Dark Country but I have to wait until we get an "all clear" from Sony before we can announce.

Folks are going to be SUPER STOKED when this intel goes public though.

- TB

PS - Remember folks, the DC production diary is live once again so be sure to stop into the thread to catch updates.