Geoff

Hello???

8 hours ago, The Goktor said:

Gail, what do you do for a living? Or are you lucky enough to be a lady of leisure? 😀

I wish!  Sadly I still have to keep earning --- and this is where I start to feel woefully inadequate 😕. I mean, I'm in the company of head honchos (Geoff), boffins (Ariane 😉) and talented and successful business women (your good self), along with many other creative and imaginative individuals, and I, erm, am an accounts assistant at a car dealership.  Been there for the last 21 years (and 8 days, not that I'm counting), so either doing something right or managing to stay under the radar (coupled with a lack of either ambition or self confidence, not sure which).  Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I do enjoy it and I love my team, every day is a laugh which helps and being classed as one of the Old Guard does occasionally have its perks.

Bet you're sorry you asked now!! 😂

13 minutes ago, Gail said:

I wish!  Sadly I still have to keep earning --- and this is where I start to feel woefully inadequate 😕. I mean, I'm in the company of head honchos (Geoff), boffins (Ariane 😉) and talented and successful business women (your good self), along with many other creative and imaginative individuals, and I, erm, am an accounts assistant at a car dealership.  Been there for the last 21 years (and 8 days, not that I'm counting), so either doing something right or managing to stay under the radar (coupled with a lack of either ambition or self confidence, not sure which).  Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I do enjoy it and I love my team, every day is a laugh which helps and being classed as one of the Old Guard does occasionally have its perks.

Not in the slightest - I'm always interested in what others do, and find it so cool that we all come from different walks of life! I think it's brilliant that you love working there; it makes life so much easier when you have a great team, doesn't it?

BTW, I cannot imagine why on earth you might lack confidence - you're great! And clearly very erudite, eloquent, and witty... it's a winning combination, I tell you! ❤️

8 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Not in the slightest - I'm always interested in what others do, and find it so cool that we all come from different walks of life! I think it's brilliant that you love working there; it makes life so much easier when you have a great team, doesn't it?

BTW, I cannot imagine why on earth you might lack confidence - you're great! And clearly very erudite, eloquent, and witty... it's a winning combination, I tell you! ❤️

Aw bless you for saying so, you're very kind and that does lift my chin a bit ☺️ I like to think I'm probably a good person to have in a team, but I'll never be a leader!

On 10/9/2019 at 10:26 PM, Gail said:

Aw bless you for saying so, you're very kind and that does lift my chin a bit ☺️ I like to think I'm probably a good person to have in a team, but I'll never be a leader!

Being a leader is overestimated at best, truly sucky at worst! 

In other news, I can confidently say, with the utmost authority, that watching Call the Midwife just before bed, then falling asleep while listening to an Expanse audiobook, produces some very odd dreams. 

Fortunately, no babies were born in zero g! 🤣

😳 you are doing some science defying experiments on yourself. What a devotion! 

On 9/27/2019 at 6:02 PM, The Goktor said:

My primary business is my food and travel blog, which involves me doing absolutely everything, from recipe development (and cooking, of course!), writing/editing, and photography/editing, to web management, light coding, PR, and a ton of other stuff. I also write for several food magazines - both online and in print. From time to time, I'll be commissioned to develop recipes for brands or supermarkets.

My second job is freelance vegan baker and caterer. TBH though, I really don't enjoy the catering any more, so in January, I made the decision to only take on a couple of contracts a year. The bakery side of things involves me supplying local eateries with cakes and savouries. I'm also in the process of setting up an online shop to sell some of my bakes via mail order.

When living overseas, I did a lot of freelance writing and editing, and web management (mostly for US clients), and I still do occasional bits and pieces now, if called upon. It makes a nice change to write about subjects other than food and travel!

I'm here almost a month later, but... wow! That's so cool, and multitasking 😀 I'm quiet fascinated in your choice of doing vegan bakery. I find it amazing all you can do without any milk, eggs or butter.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, Gail said:

I agree with Goktor, as long as you're happy in your job, it's the most important part 😊 A good team can change everything, and everyone contributes in their own unique way! And your opinion is just interesting as the one of anyone else here, I assure you 😉

(Watched Joker last night in theater, just to see why there was such a fuss about it these days... and got my answer but 🤫 Has anyone here seen it?)

20 minutes ago, Al. said:

(Watched Joker last night in theater, just to see why there was such a fuss about it these days... and got my answer but 🤫 Has anyone here seen it?)

Not yet, although I've heard mixed reports. Some people say it's a really good deep-dive into his background and psyche, while others claim it's trite nonsense! I'll probably watch it at some point, probably when it's available on download. 

So what are your thoughts on it?

I really want to see Maleficent 2 and the new Terminator though. Just trying to make time!

5 hours ago, Enaira said:

😳 you are doing some science defying experiments on yourself. What a devotion! 

Story of my life, Ariane! 😋

On 10/19/2019 at 5:02 PM, The Goktor said:

Not yet, although I've heard mixed reports. Some people say it's a really good deep-dive into his background and psyche, while others claim it's trite nonsense! I'll probably watch it at some point, probably when it's available on download. 

So what are your thoughts on it?

It's worth watching it to make your own opinion, in my sens. But everyone is free to have their own feelings about it, of course 😉

For me, it's a very good movie. The picture and the atmosphere are really well done, and the music is just incredible. Joaquin Phoenix is obviously at his best. But most of all, I really love what the movie says about our society and its flaws. Even though the story is set in the 70'/80', it's very actual and you can understand it at different levels. It surely gives you some things to think about.

Is the brutality really that high, as some articles mentioned? I read that it is near unbearable. 

57 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Is the brutality really that high, as some articles mentioned? I read that it is near unbearable. 

It is violent, physically and mentally. The atmosphere is heavy from the very beginning till the end. But personally, I didn't find it particulary more violent than others crime movies (like the Millenium Saga) or than the Nolan Batman trilogy, for example. I couldn't watch two or three scenes, but that happens quiet a lot when I watch movies or series with violence. I guess it depends on your sensibility and what you can bear to watch in general on screen 😉

It is violent but then so was the Joker! its touched a few nerves but then I think sometimes its good to do this. Art intimating life and sometimes visa versa but is a great deep dive into the Joker and his origins and whilst (IMO) Heath was better Joaquin does a damn fine job and also manages to create his own niche for the role. Its worth a watch if the cannon interests you but doesn't need to be big screen watching. 

Nice thread gang, good readin. 

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

It is violent but then so was the Joker! its touched a few nerves but then I think sometimes its good to do this. Art intimating life and sometimes visa versa but is a great deep dive into the Joker and his origins and whilst (IMO) Heath was better Joaquin does a damn fine job and also manages to create his own niche for the role.

Agreed 😊

Mark Hamill is a favorite of mine, but Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson brought each something more and unique to the character, it's hard to choose between those interpretations now...

I’ve not seen Joaquin Phoenix’s interpretation yet apart from the trailer, it does look like a completely different take on it but I thought Heath Ledger nailed it so well I’m not sure the new version will sit well.  A friend of mine has seen the film but wasn’t massively impressed, said it was a bit ‘meh’ - will probably watch it at some point but from what I’ve heard so far I’m not convinced enough to go out of my way to see it.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, Gail said:

I’ve not seen Joaquin Phoenix’s interpretation yet apart from the trailer, it does look like a completely different take on it but I thought Heath Ledger nailed it so well I’m not sure the new version will sit well.  A friend of mine has seen the film but wasn’t massively impressed, said it was a bit ‘meh’ - will probably watch it at some point but from what I’ve heard so far I’m not convinced enough to go out of my way to see it.

I loved Heath as Joker - he was perfect. But Joaquin is a fantastic actor too, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he's handled the role. However, with limited time on my hands, it's good to know that it's not essential to see it on the big screen, so I shall wait for the digi-download, and watch it on my own big screen at home! Thanks Geoff and AI, for the feedback.

And speaking of cinema, tonight we're going to see Maleficent. Yay! Really looking forward to it... even if it does mean I won't be able to play The Outer Worlds this evening! 😋