This is my ultimate must-see movie of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRbXn4-Yis

I just LOVE seeing Tim Roth & Michael Madsen together again in a Tarantino film.

But we all know who would make this western even more perfect, don't we? ;)

Really looking forward to this. I was glad to hear that he went through with doing this after the script leak. Great cast, and I'm sure as always, there will be great diolouge.

Always looking forward to Tarantino films.

Yeah, erm, Im kinda not sold here (Don't all throw things at once) I love his films and the cast is great and im sure the script is, but I saw the trailer and just wasn't blown away as I wanted to be!!!! - cant explain it.

Guest AdminGuyX

Looks to be entertaining. There are about 3 people in hollywood who can get westerns made these days. Maybe Tom should talk to Tarantino about producing Shattered Hand.

Really looking forward to this. I was glad to hear that he went through with doing this after the script leak. Great cast, and I'm sure as always, there will be great diolouge.

I was worried about that script leak, too. They never solved that mystery. Quentin knows the people it wasn't & the people it could've been. But, thankfully, that little error on someone's part didn't ruin the whole thing for everyone else.

Always looking forward to Tarantino films.

Tarantino is a brilliant filmmaker. I just love his love for movies.

Yeah, erm, Im kinda not sold here (Don't all throw things at once) I love his films and the cast is great and im sure the script is, but I saw the trailer and just wasn't blown away as I wanted to be!!!! - cant explain it.

That's okay, Geoff. Maybe the fact that you're not impressed now will only help you become blown away by once you see it.

Looks to be entertaining. There are about 3 people in hollywood who can get westerns made these days. Maybe Tom should talk to Tarantino about producing Shattered Hand.

Genius! Tarantino should produce Shattered Hand. If the movie Gods will only answer that call.

& if not, then Tom needs to be in a Tarantino film pronto.

If you're still wondering what to get me for the holidays, this set would make the PERFECT belated Christmas present:

http://necaonline.com/54130/products/toys/plush-and-dolls/the-hateful-eight-8-clothed-action-figure-assortment/

Or you can just get me one figure....Oswaldo Mobray (Tim Roth)....I'm not greedy. ;)

Saw it. LOVE it! Upset it didn't earn more Oscar love. Obviously, the Academy has something against Tarantino opening up & speaking his mind.

Tim Roth & Michael Madsen are the movie for me, but boy did that Walton Goggins steal some scenes! They were my favorite characters, obviously.

I was literally on the edge of my seat, nearly holding my breath, for some of those intense moments. I didn't predict the twists or figure out who was really who until they were revealed as such.

Since Roth's role is so major in it, I'm ranking this film as my #2 favorite Tarantino film of all-time (following Reservoir Dogs, of course).

Anyone else see it? Was anyone lucky enough to attend the roadshow version? What did you guys/gals think of it?

ok. Saw it. LOVED IT TOO. Im converted.

ok. Saw it. LOVED IT TOO. Im converted.

Well, I'm happy to hear that, Geoff. :) Favorite character(s)? Favorite moment(s)? (if any of your info contains spoilers, be sure to warn the rest in case they haven't seen it, yet)

I did not get to see the raod show. I wanted to, but the closest was a 6 hour trip. I did get to see it last night though. Loved it for several reasons.

First off, I was hoping this would have been a bit of a departure from QT's regular work, and watching the opening with the linger on Jesus on the Cross, it felt that way. All those beautiful Panavision 70 mm shots were amazing. It had a diffent look, but as soon was we came upon Warren, it was classic Tarantino. As soon as that happened, I was glad to be back in familar waters. QT is one of those creators who has his own world, and its an amazing one to be in. The cast is great, but it's Russel and Jackson that steal it. Roth is very close, though. I could go on about plot points and characters, but I don't want to get too in depth. This is a murder mystery. Anyone could be the bad guy and that's the way it's played. I will say this though, I love the relationship beteween Ruth and Daisy. He hates her, she's crude and wild, but she's his golden ticket. Any chance he gets to smack her around, he does. But then you see a bit of tenderness. It's subtle, but there are the moments like when she gets stew on her face, and he wipes it clean. It's almost like they are ex lovers trying so hard to hate each other, but there's still a spark.

The other big thing people talk about is the score. That beath taking Ennio Morricone score. It's not a typical Western score. It's closer to some of his war films, with a hint of The Thing in tossed in with an ever so small dash of Western. I have yet to see Carol and Bridge of Spys, but he has the Oscar in the bag. I have yet to buy it, I'm waiting another 6 weeks. Planning on getting a record player for my birthday, and this is going to be my first record. Wish I had the cash and time to make it down to Third Man Records. They have a pretty cool boxed set for it, including a steel box with real bullet holes in it for the case: http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/hateful-eight/

I did leave happy. I loved it, but there was one thing that nagged on me, the gore. Maybe I'm getting old, but I still love splatter films, so I think it has more to do with QT indulging himself than anything. I'm okay with that. The quality of film he puts out, I can grant him that, but still, it pushed into a cartoonish area of gore. Some of it was fine, but the constant barage of over the top gore got old and seemed like it was played for laughs. Kill Bill, it's okay, but The Hateful Eight had a higher caliber going for it. The excesive gore seemed to cheapen it. I think if it were played diffrent, it would have worked better. If you look at the gore in The Thing, it works. There was a lot, and one could say it was over the top in a way, but it was played realistic. The Hateful Eight, not so much. I don't think a bullet to the head would cause gallons of blood to fly upon impact. I would wager this is why it was snubbed for Oscars. This is one that should have played more real and not grindhouse.

I'm making that sould worse than it is, but it did irritate me a bit. Just a bit, not enough to ruin it for me. I mentioned The Thing a few times. There are deffinatly two films that influenced this, Resivoir Dogs and The Thing. You can see O.B's look was taken from MacReady, the Ennio Morricone Score, the blizzard, and strangers trapped in a small location with the knowledge of impending doom. There are other things, like the way shots are set, or how things look, like the rope to the barn and outhouse. Of course, in grand QT tradition, there are nods to his other films like Inglorious Basterd and Pulp Fiction.

If you get the chance, see it. Some could say it's a slow burn, but it was the quickest and most tense 3 hour film I have ever seen. It now will join my blizzard showing of The Shinning and The Thing. Every year we get hit with a blizzard, I watch those 2 films, not I have a third.

hate to bring down the party...it was the worst movie i have seen in years! it was like they were making it up as they went

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I'm pretty much smack in the middle. I did not love it, I did not hate it. I enjoyed it for the 65/70mm panavision scope. The movie looked gorgeous. It was, despite the white landscape, a fairly colorful and lush looking film.

The reasons I did not love it. I got really tired of the concept really fast. I enjoyed the ride in to the haberdashery, and even the character intros, but once Tarantino started to narrate . . . it just sucked me right out of the movie. The story just didn't have a compelling enough "twist" to make the final act of the film any more interesting than the first act. You knew something was up at the haberdashery immediately, so it just becomes about waiting to see how the violence will be inflicted instead of being about how the story will be told.

The reasons I did not hate it. Kurt Russell. Walton Goggins. Tim Roth. Sam Jackson. Jennifer Jason Leigh. Behind the Camera it was Robert Richardson's work on this film was nothing short of inspirational for me. Every shot in the film just made me want to pick up a camera again. And Ennio Morricone is always amazing. I bought the score as soon as I was done watching the film.

I read a few reviews that bashed the film for being a movie about unlikable characters. It is called The Hateful 8 though, so it's not like that was a big secret. That kind of thing never bothers me unless the story is clunky and this story felt really clunky to me. But I still enjoyed the character work.

But here is the thing about a film full of "bad guys". Asking the audience to care about who one particular bad guy is, or what they are after, what they are doing, amongst a film full of bad guys, isn't all that compelling. I didn't care who was after Daisy. I didn't care who poisoned the coffee. They were all worthy of death. It's a tough angle to get right in a film.

The violence felt like a continuation of Django Unchained. It was "splashy" bloodwork. Tarantino likes his spurting splashy blood. Doesn't bother me, or put me off. I just felt it didn't really fit this particular film. In Django there was like 12 people getting killed at once in a massive shootout, and the bloodwork became part of the balet, so to speak. It worked.

So yeah, I liked it.

:)

John -- Great review! The score really enhanced the film for me. You brought up fair points about not liking all that gore. I don't think it has to do with your age, though. Ha! I just think it could be that you're finally getting bored with all that type of display of violence. Perhaps? I don't know. It didn't bother me. Sure it was disgusting at times. & once it started, it never seemed to stop. But they show worse on TV.

Sinn -- Dude, why so hateful? :blink:

Noeland -- Nice review! & I'm jealous you got to see it in its spectacular 70 mm projection. Which character did you get in your program?

True, but in a room full of bad guys, one is always worse than the rest, so you start choosing sides of bad guys over others. And also, I didn't want to see Oswaldo Mobray take a bullet too soon in the film. Had that happened, I would've felt a bit cheated. But luckily, (spoiler!) once he gets shot, we flashback. ^_^

THE HATEFUL EIGHT is out now on Blu-ray/DVD. Unfortunately, it doesn't contain a whole lot of special features. But it's still worth buying to own & add into your Tarantino collections. If you haven't bought it yet & are planning to get it, I recommend you buy it at Target. Their EXCLUSIVE comes with a cool lenticular slipcover & a bonus disc w/ a featurette (approx 30 min). Best Buy offers the steelbook, but I think Target has the better deal.