origin1950

FIRST MARVEL FILM CROSSOVER!!!

Should The Hulk be the villain in The Avengers movie?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for whether or not you think Banner should go bad

• Yes
    • No

Came across this a few minutes ago...don't know if it's good or bad...? Just info...

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/iron-man...ate-645774.html

Iron Man 3 should be alright. The formula is working, so I can't see them mucking it up any. Besides, Iron Man is pretty family friendly. Same for Avengers. They have a pretty strong crew behind the project. Plus, Whedon's popularity with the cast and crew, I could see them all standing up for him if Disney decides to meddle.

They can fire Ed Norton, but there's no way they can get away with firing them all ;)

Disney isn't going to do anything crazy, Marvel is kinda like Pixar, they are able to do there own things.

Aright more kick ass news....for me and Andy in particular... I had already mentioned on the Batman 3 (Dark Knight Rises) board that they will be shooting in Detroit which is amazing.

Now, even more exciting news for me is that AVENGERS will be shooting some scenes in Detroit as well! FUCKIN A! I need a role in this!

-Raf

Aright more kick ass news....for me and Andy in particular... I had already mentioned on the Batman 3 (Dark Knight Rises) board that they will be shooting in Detroit which is amazing.

Now, even more exciting news for me is that AVENGERS will be shooting some scenes in Detroit as well! FUCKIN A! I need a role in this!

-Raf

I'd love to see you get a screen credit for either, or even better, both!

Thanks Mike! That'd be fucking amazing. What would I do in Avengers though? Shield agent? What would I do in DKR? Detective? Hopefully there are roles that fit my criteria when they are casting the day players here in Michigan.

-Raf

If I can get it that is my friend..... when the big films come to Michigan, they bring their own crew and already cast all the major and supporting roles. Typically, the only jobs they give out to the Michigan natives are that of crew jobs like 2nd AD, extras casting, some stand ins, and day player roles or roles with just a few lines. So we shall see the luck I get.

-Raf

Aright folks,

Let's hear the feedback for the Avengers.

I will just say that this was worth the wait to me and I absolutely, positively loved every moment of this film. I thought everyone was spot on in their roles. I thought the film length (2 hours, 20 mins) was perfect for this ensemble cast. I thought the effects and story were on top of its game.

This isn't the type of film I expect to win Oscars and screenwriting awards. It's the film that I expected to love for being what it is: An AVENGERS film. Who the fuck woulda thought 10-15 years ago that an Avengers film was possible? At one point, getting comic books on film were tough to do, so to put a film together like this is BEYOND amazing to me. Can't wait for more ladies and gents. Anyone who dislikes this film is wrong (in my opinion of course). It's gotta be looked at for what it is and not looked at as if you are a board member for the Academy Awards. Have fun with it. Enjoy the action, enjoy the laughs. Enjoy the effects.

Cheers!

-Raf

The Avengers was just a pure enjoyment film. Like Raffi said, it's not an Oscar award movie (aside from special effects I'd suppose), but not every movie has to be. It was a well done film for fans of the characters that didn't try to be anything it's not.

Every character got their moments, with Banner/Hulk being the most satisfying (my opinion at least).

Favourite moments (non-spoiler):

Everything Mark Ruffalo did

The Hulk and Loki's fight scene

Thor's quips

The second (I guess) end credits scene

Favorite Hulk moment was him randomly punching Thor after they take out the aliens. Banner/Hulk and Loki were my two favorite things about the movie.

THE AVENGERS

(The Hero Complex at AMC Burbank)

The mere fact that this movie exists is historic. Hanging out in a comic shop as a kid long before Tim Burton’s BATMAN came out, I never would have dreamed that this could happen. Sure, I grew up with the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN films and I loved them. But making four superhero films, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA, and then combining all those characters into one film is an amazing accomplishment. It’s never been done in any capacity before in film history, to my knowledge. And the fact that it’s an amazing movie, the best yet from Marvel Studios, and certainly one of the best superhero movies ever made is really hard to believe. I turned to my friend Marc when it was over and we were both ready to watch it again right then and there. In fact, I said I wanted a day pass on Friday so I could watch it four times in a row!

I was hopeful when Joss Whedon was announced as writer/director of THE AVENGERS, but it was hardly a slam dunk. None of his previous work definitively showed that he could handle the challenge here. The elements were there, but this was a big step up. Thankfully, this is by far the best thing Joss Whedon has ever written. I’m a fan of his mostly from BUFFY and ANGEL, and now definitely THE CABIN IN THE WOODS and THE AVENGERS. I did not watch FIREFLY or DR. HORRIBLE and only lasted for a few episodes of DOLLHOUSE, and I was very underwhelmed by his feature debut, SERENITY. THE AVENGERS catapults Whedon to the directing A list. Hopefully he does AVENGERS 2 and soon, but I’ll bet he can get just about anything off the ground in the wake of this movie. It’s that good.

Juggling this many major characters is very difficult to do. Recently Steven Soderbergh’s OCEAN’S 11 did it well and so did J.J. Abrams’ STAR TREK. Whedon juggles his nine main characters and solid supporting cast and makes sure that everyone shines and has a purpose. There is so much parallel action going on, but it’s handled really, really well. And the in fighting between the characters before they become a team was a lot of fun. It’s hard to know who to root for, but seeing them go toe to toe is a thrill.

Samuel L. Jackson is solid here as Nick Fury in his first really big role to play the character. He has some really good moments. Though I have to admit that I’m disappointed that I will probably never see the cigar chomping Nick Fury that I grew up with from the comics. And it’s sad that Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos are completely separate entities in the movie continuity.

I was not thrilled by the casting of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow in IRON MAN 2, nor was I thrilled by her performance in that movie. In fact, I’m usually not thrilled by her at all. She often comes off as flat and vapid. I’m just not a fan. Having said that, Whedon uses her to full effect in this movie and she’s as good in the role as she will probably ever be. Her scene with Loki is definitely a highlight. Though when she refers to her past, you don’t believe for a second that this woman is Russian. Emily Blunt was originally cast in this role and had to drop out for scheduling conflicts with GULLIVER’S TRAVELS! I bet she’s still kicking herself. But I’m not a fan of hers either, so I don’t know which of the two would be better in the role. At least Scarlett serves as eye candy.

For Black Widow’s introductory scene in THE AVENGERS (which was released online a few weeks ago to promote the film) Whedon takes a page right out of the ALIAS playbook. So for me, it was very familiar and not to the film’s benefit because Jennifer Garner handled these scenes way better and can act circles around Scarlett. Garner’s not right for Black Widow, but she played a similar character far better. This sequence was the one that really strayed too far into “clever” Whedon territory for me, something he manages to avoid for the rest of the movie. And as an ALIAS fan, it was just far too familiar. It’s a fun scene and it’s executed pretty well, so if you didn’t watch ALIAS, you may love it. My favorite part of the sequence involves Agent Coulson.

And Clark Gregg really shines here as Agent Phil Coulson. He has become a beloved part of the Marvel movie continuity and that really pays off in THE AVENGERS. His hero worship of Captain America, essentially making Coulson a fanboy like us, is a riot. And if you haven’t scene the short films that they’ve done of Coulson for the DVD releases of the previous films, seek them out because they are a blast.

Robert Downey Jr. is as good as ever as Tony Stark/Iron Man. He has many, many hysterically funny lines and seeing him play off of the other heroes is really fun. Chris Hemsworth is a strong presence as Thor and really commands the screen. I loved him in THOR and love him even more here. Chris Evans settles well into his role as a man out of time and takes his place as the group’s leader. He does really solid work here as Captain America. Though his new costume looks really strange and didn’t work for me at all. It seems like they over thought how to translate it to present day.

The real surprise is Mark Ruffalo and how Whedon handles both Banner and the Hulk. I was disappointed that Edward Norton was being replaced and thought Ruffalo was wrong for the role. I like his work, but thought he was too handsome for Banner. All that went away after his introductory sequence in the movie and it got better from there. Seeing him play off of Downey’s Tony Stark was really exciting and when “The Other Guy” comes out, it’s pretty awesome. In a movie full of great moments, Hulk really steals the show.

Jeremy Renner is always solid and often great and there is a lot done with Hawkeye that I won’t spoil. But I definitely felt like something was missing. And he’s definitely a little too cool for school with his bow and arrow. I realize he’s an expert marksman, but he effortlessly does things with the bow that really, really stretch the level of credibility, and that’s saying a lot in a movie full of demigods, aliens, superheroes and magic.

Tom Hiddleston is once again excellent as Loki. Instead of a mustache twirling, evil supervillain, though Loki is power hungry, but he is really like a wounded animal, desperate for love and attention. But he can go to some very dark places. I loved him here. Unfortunately his allies are only roughly sketched in. We know virtually nothing about them.

The sense of humor in the movie is perfectly handled. There are more laugh out loud moments here than in any comedy in recent memory. This is not a comedy by any means, and there are some really heavy moments and an overall sense of seriousness at the situations, but Whedon uses his writing skills to great effect and scores a home run with almost every comic moment that he attempts. He doesn’t get lazy and clever here, which can be a problem for me in Whedon’s work, and that’s why this is the best thing he’s ever written.

Probably my biggest complaint is the first 10 minutes or so. J.J. Abrams’ STAR TREK had one of the most amazing openings of a big budget film in recent years and he did it without using a single major character from the STAR TREK canon. Interestingly, that opening sequence featured Chris Hemsworth in a star making role. Here, Whedon has a lot to live up to, coming off of five Marvel movies that all lead to THE AVENGERS, and he’s mostly using established characters. This opening is a little ho-hum and by the numbers. It basically involves a heist that happens in a SHIELD facility and when things go South and Nick Fury and his agents have to take action, I was shocked that with all the SHIELD tech, all Fury has is a conventional sidearm. This would have been a great moment to introduce the classic Steranko Nick Fury pistol. In fact, it’s pretty absurd to see Director Nick Fury and Black Widow use conventional handguns in this move when they work for a spy organization like SHIELD that has such advanced tech. They are certainly not effective with those handguns at any point in the movie. Surprisingly the standout for me in the opening sequence was new character Agent Maria Hill. She takes action right away and it’s pretty cool. Unfortunately, that’s about all she does in the movie save for receiving and conveying Fury’s orders.

So the movie did not start on a high for me, but as it reintroduced the various characters, it began to build and build and within a very short time, I was totally engaged and the movie just never let go. Whedon handles small, quiet moments between two characters well and when things are ramped up to a fever pitch and all hell is breaking loose, he handles it equally well. One really cool moment early on is the introduction of SHIELD’s Helicarrier. It is definitely a moment of spectacle and Banner’s take on it is hilarious.

The third acts of the previous Marvel films have almost all been the most disappointing parts of those films, but not here. The characters get to work as a team and really unleash their powers on the alien invasion. When Captain America takes charge and gives orders, you can’t help but feel chills. And when that order is “Hulk, smash,” you’ll probably have a smile on your face from ear to ear like I did! There are so many cool moments in the third act.

Fanboy question: Did I see the Baxter Building in the New York City sequence or was that just me hoping and projecting that on a random building?

Fanboy complaint: IRON MAN 2 established Rhodey as War Machine and showed that he can handle himself in the armor. If the world is so endangered, why on Earth wouldn’t Nick Fury enlist him to help with this crisis? Rhodey’s a military man and would probably take orders a lot better than his friend Stark or Asgardian Thor or the Hulk! It is not addressed in the movie and makes absolutely no sense. It was obviously a business decision not to include him, but it’s pretty glaring considering the continuity they’ve established in the previous films. Adding War Machine’s firepower to the mix would have been a big help to the cause.

Minor Fanboy complaint: I would have loved someone in the cast to refer to the Tesseract as the Cosmic Cube! I don’t remember it being called the Tesseract in the comics, maybe that’s a new thing or something I’ve forgotten. But I do remember the Cosmic Cube. And even if someone had just quipped, “We’ve gotta get our hands on that Cosmic Cube,” this Fanboy would have been thrilled!

Minor Fanboy complaint: When the title comes up on screen, I didn’t like the logo choice at all. Really wish they would have used a classic logo from the comics the way they are with the marketing.

Fanboy hope: I would love to see DC Comics and Warner Bros. step up and follow Marvel’s lead and build a film series that leads to the JUSTICE LEAGUE. Sadly, they failed miserably with last summer’s GREEN LANTERN. But I’m hoping next summer’s MAN OF STEEL is a big step in the right direction and perhaps leads to THE FLASH and WONDER WOMAN and AQUAMAN and maybe even GREEN ARROW.

Like the previous Marvel movies, there is a coda part way into the end credits. Fans of the comics will be thrilled by it and will leave the theater with a similar feeling to when they saw BATMAN BEGINS. But regular folks may be scratching their heads much the way my Mom was after IRON MAN 2’s coda revealing Thor’s Hammer. I’ll probably get a call from her and have to explain it. Rest assured, it’s really cool!

While I have been very critical of the movie and it is not perfect, it is SO DAMN GOOD that it is hard to express how much I enjoyed it. It ranks with some of my favorite superhero movies of all time, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, SPIDER-MAN 2, X2: X-MEN UNITED, BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. But more than anything, it’s fun! You will laugh dozens of times. You will literally cheer and applaud. You really can’t have a better time at the movies. THE AVENGERS just delivers on every level and AVENGERS 2 cannot come soon enough.

Perhaps the coolest part of the experience last night was seeing THE AVENGERS at a Hero Complex preview screening hosted by Geoff Boucher with friends Shannon, Marc, Chris and Bryce. I doubt I will ever forget where and with whom I first saw this great movie. I wonder if where and with whom will be as memorable my second, third and fourth times!?!

Excellent review, Brian McQuery! :)

The Avengers provided plenty of action. Except for that opening, which was too slow & boring for my taste, I enjoyed the majority of this film. For the most part, the characters played off well with one another. My favorite characters are Iron Man & Captain America; they’re very funny. I’d enjoy a whole movie with just Robert Downey Jr. & Chris Evans as these heroes.

I’ve still never seen the movie Thor, but I think Loki’s an interesting villain. His look puts me in the mind of Crispin Glover in Alice in Wonderland. I kept thinking of Alan Cumming, also. I’ve only seen Tom Hiddleston as F. Scott Fitzgerald in Midnight in Paris (fantastic film), so the guy‘s got some range.

I love Clark Gregg’s Agent Coulson. Always have. Always will. I’m glad he got a nice size part in it.

I don’t mind The Hulk, but I don’t like Mark Ruffalo playing Banner. I do like Ruffalo; I just can’t get over the fact that he replaced Edward Norton.

I also love Hawkeye. Of course, no matter what kind of character he’s playing, Jeremy Renner has a way of winning me over. If he gets his own movie, I’d see it.

The running time for the movie is long but understood. When you have so many characters who helmed their own movies and you throw ‘em together, you can’t squeeze a good movie into too short of a time frame. But when you’re watching a movie with a packed house, it becomes uncomfortable. Luckily, the movie’s action & humor kept things lively.

I love the scene after all of the end credits. :lol: It’s worth staying after. Some people in the audience got up right when the movie ended, so they missed the teaser. Only a few others stayed til the very end. I don’t know why people will sit through a 2 hour+ movie then leave right when the credits start. They can’t wait another five minutes? :blink:

If you haven’t seen it & you will, make sure you stay til the very end of the credits.

& now I have Dr. Pepper cans to collect. ;)

Fanboy hope: I would love to see DC Comics and Warner Bros. step up and follow Marvel’s lead and build a film series that leads to the JUSTICE LEAGUE. Sadly, they failed miserably with last summer’s GREEN LANTERN. But I’m hoping next summer’s MAN OF STEEL is a big step in the right direction and perhaps leads to THE FLASH and WONDER WOMAN and AQUAMAN and maybe even GREEN ARROW.

It's kinda doubt, at least as long as Nolan has his fingers in the DC film pie, there isn't going to be any connection to the movies. You brought up Green Arrow and that reminded me of the Super Max Green Arrow movie, which I'm still hoping gets made.

Fucking Harry Dean Stanton.

This really made me smile. I like the little nod to ALIEN, or at least have him just say "Alien?" to Banner.

Speaking of, as much as I loved Norton, and would have liked to see Norton and RDJ work together, I thought Mark did a pretty good job. Way better than I thought he was going to do.

As for the film, I don't have much more to add than what everyone else has been saying. It's good, and fun.

Renner was great on screen. For me, he's the actor to watch. It's only a matter of time when he starts getting more recognition from "wide" audiences. I really hope they do a Hawkeye/Black Widow film. Given Hawkeye's role in the first half of the film, it makes sense with a film filled with Cap, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor that they don't do too much with him. Brian nailed it when he said that something is missing.

I wasn't too thrilled to find out Loki was the villian, but I could not have been more wrong. This is a whole diffrent Loki, and Hiddleston is fantastic. I hope we see more of him in the future.

Loving the reviews guys. Glad to hear that everyone has enjoyed this film so far.

Let's look at the numbers here:

207.4 million dollars opening weekend, shattering Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows Part 2's record of 169 million giving it the record for the highest opening weekend of all time... I knew this was gonna happen actually.

103.4 million dollars for its second weekend, shattering Avatar's record of 75.6 million giving it the record for the highest second weekend of all time... another thing that I knew was going to happen.

It also reached over 1 billion dollars worldwide in three weeks, moving past The Dark Knight to become the 11th highest grossing film of all time... the record is set by Avatar in 1st place with 2.78 billion and Titanic in second place with 2.18 billion respectively.

Now I truely believe that The Avengers can actually take the crown in a little bit of time here... keep in mind that it's only been out in America for 2 weeks, and it was released in only a handful of countries one week prior to the release here... it still has plenty of time to rock the fucking world!

TIM AND TOM.... let's hear what you fellas think about the film.

-Raf

I think more people will come to know Renner(and like him) when that new Bourne movie comes out. It's seems like a really fucked up idea for a movie, but it might work, and the teaser looked interesting.

I also really enjoyed Avengers. Can't say much that somebody else already said. I first realized how cool I thought it was when Iron man first showed up to help Cap out. It felt very epic to me, and Iron Man seemed so bad ass in that scene. Loved all the humor. Only thing I didn't like was the council's back up plan to send out the nukes at one point. Seen that situation too many times in movies/tv shows now, but whatever. Hope the sequel doesn't blow it.

I think more people will come to know Renner(and like him) when that new Bourne movie comes out. It's seems like a really fucked up idea for a movie, but it might work, and the teaser looked interesting.

Even though I've never seen any of the other Bourne movies, I might actually go see The Bourne Legacy because Renner & Edward Norton's in it.

Can't wait for that new Bourne film.