Just a thought Geoff - is there any remote chance that TJ would have the time (or the inclination) to do some sort of production diary?  It would be fascinating to find out what goes on behind the scenes and it'd be great to get a picture of proceedings from his point of view.

And again questions: there are many directors during one season. It seems to me that "director" is the position that changes the most in the organisation.

1/ why is that? do they all suffer from burnout?

2/ how is the continuity ensured? Does Tom have to especially work with the director before him and the one after him?

5 hours ago, The Goktor said:

Cool - I just need to remember!

I will remind you 😁 great question! 

1 hour ago, Enaira said:

I will remind you 😁 great question! 

Thanks, chica! 

You're welcome! 

Speaking about questions...

- What shall be the total duration of Tom's work on set? And during post-production? 

- Since it's shot as a block, does it mean he will be there x days in October, y days in November and z days in January? Any idea about how many back and forth it represents? 

- What about the cast? They are working one week with director A and one other week with director B... could Tom explain how it worked for him on Hung and Expanse? I guess the cast also has a great deal of responsibility when it comes to continuity? 

11 hours ago, Al. said:

- I think I remember him saying he read the first two books some time ago. If he hasn't, will he read books 3 to 5, regarding to his director work? Or does he prefer not to be influenced by the source material?

Thomas is an avid reader so if he has had the time then he would have, if not heal go from the scripts.

11 hours ago, Gail said:

Just a thought Geoff - is there any remote chance that TJ would have the time (or the inclination) to do some sort of production diary?  It would be fascinating to find out what goes on behind the scenes and it'd be great to get a picture of proceedings from his point of view.

I actually spoke to him a bit on this as I wanted to know if he was taking the same approach as he took in DC by story boarding each scene and blocking out way before. What im keen not to do is add more pressure on him to produce anything other than a great episode but we kicked about a few bits.

11 hours ago, Enaira said:

1/ why is that? do they all suffer from burnout?

Actually thats both commercial and creative, more a case of schedules rather than burn out, certain episodes require say more tense role play stuff where as other require more action so its good to draw upon individual director experience. Its actually a great way to get the best of of the material.

11 hours ago, Enaira said:

2/ how is the continuity ensured? Does Tom have to especially work with the director before him and the one after him?

Oh there are often big production meetings where there is as much seamless continuity as possible, same sets and people help but again as above it kind of depends what in the episode. The real question here is what type of episode is Thomas taking on? - I don't know before you ask :) 

2 hours ago, Enaira said:

- What shall be the total duration of Tom's work on set? And during post-production? 

Unsure at this point. See below. 

- Since it's shot as a block, does it mean he will be there x days in October, y days in November and z days in January? Any idea about how many back and forth it represents? 

This is my understanding but I think Thomas is going and shooting and then going into post of the episode. I expect this to take place End of Oct through Nov buts thats a guess at the minute. 

- What about the cast? They are working one week with director A and one other week with director B... could Tom explain how it worked for him on Hung and Expanse? I guess the cast also has a great deal of responsibility when it comes to continuity? 

Normally I think only two episodes are shot at a time for that very reason on TV, but I know from talking to him that The Expanse shoot moves at lighting speed, Thomas (based on what others have said) is an "Actors director" he spends a great deal of time getting it right but its going to be cool to understand what he likes to do for rehearsals here and number of takes etc. 

The full picture from Amanda that Tom posted yesterday. 

12568992_524426004415763_419803289_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

The full picture from Amanda that Tom posted yesterday. 

12568992_524426004415763_419803289_n.jpg

Stunning.......😌

Love that picture. Beautiful and 100% Miller 😊

Some news from Dominique's Instagram about s5 (very cute cookie!) 😉

72476147_522834168277352_7714931882722328576_n.jpg.4be0c9d2ead77ac38060854edb73bf6d.jpg

72458446_689231394896085_5474567900499017728_n.jpg.eef244bd314a85d58f652f563a3c0e08.jpg

"So, Nicole, how long can you hold your breath for?"

"For the last four chapters of Tiamat's Wrath. Apparently."

🤣

I know one shouldn't wish one's life away but could December 13th please hurry up? I've had to start re-watching S1 again (for the billiontyth time) - such a hardship! 

Oh, and just in case anyone here hasn't watched it, here are some of the gang at ComicCon...

So, question.... how did you all come to The Expanse? 

For me, it was because of Cas (Anvar): I'd chatted with him a couple of times on Twitter, back in 2011, when he voiced Altair (Assassin's Creed Revelations), and then I saw on Twitter that he was going to be in a new sci-fi series. Checked it out, and it sounded really cool. And forgot about it until about six months after it was released! But it meant that I could then just binge the entire first season. And binge I did because I was immediately hooked!

Also discovered a descendant of the Punisher, wearing a trilby to keep the rain off his head! 🤣

Started reading the books when S3 ended, and am now eagerly awaiting the final one.

3 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Caught it when it came to Amazon - saw it listed and thought we’d give it a go and see if it was any good, not really paid it a lot of attention since we didn’t have access to the Syfy channel.  Most new sci-fi is a bit disappointing somewhere along the line but we usually have a look anyway - I think we were both hooked before Julie Mao had escaped her confinement!  Then when I saw TJ strutting through the medina like he owned the joint that just sealed the deal!  Every evening for a week it was a case of “Shall we just watch one more episode?” then another, and another, and now binge watched four times - will probably get to five times before S4 airs!!  It is hands down the best sci-fi series I’ve ever seen, on every level, so long may it continue! 👏👏

It happened when I was talking on the phone with Thomas about setting up for a convention and he said he was about to shoot a really cool new Sci-Fi series and told me to read the books.  I hate reading, so I did the audio books.  As much as I love the show, I appreciate the people associated with the show I have connected with far more.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

It happened when I was talking on the phone with Thomas about setting up for a convention and he said he was about to shoot a really cool new Sci-Fi series and told me to read the books.  I hate reading, so I did the audio books.  As much as I love the show, I appreciate the people associated with the show I have connected with far more.

Hi there Mike 👋 we’ve not met before but I’ve read some of your posts, good to see you back here!

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

It happened when I was talking on the phone with Thomas about setting up for a convention

Nice one!

For me it started just like Gail. I hated Miller's hairstyle. Really unappealing. But after each episode I wanted to watch more... besides the great plot, cast, the perfect decor and the script ... my mind was hooked on Miller 😉

A good villain or a bad hero is sooo interesting when it's done right. 

Just now, Enaira said:

Nicely put Ariane! 
(I loved his hair BTW, don’t know why but I think it suits him!)

21 hours ago, Gail said:

Caught it when it came to Amazon - saw it listed and thought we’d give it a go and see if it was any good, not really paid it a lot of attention since we didn’t have access to the Syfy channel.  Most new sci-fi is a bit disappointing somewhere along the line but we usually have a look anyway - I think we were both hooked before Julie Mao had escaped her confinement!  Then when I saw TJ strutting through the medina like he owned the joint that just sealed the deal!  Every evening for a week it was a case of “Shall we just watch one more episode?” then another, and another, and now binge watched four times - will probably get to five times before S4 airs!!  It is hands down the best sci-fi series I’ve ever seen, on every level, so long may it continue! 👏👏

Yep, I know that feeling! For me it was Miller and Avasarala - I just took to those characters straight away. Can't imagine why I'm drawn to cynical, sweary characters with little tolerance for most people! 🤪 The Expanse is very definitely (IMO) the best hard SciFi TV series ever. Prior to its existence, Farscape was my all-time favourite SciFi, and it's still way out in the front for the soft stuff. I love them both for basically the same reason - what makes them so good is the characters and their relationships/interactions/development. You could any of the stories, remove the SciFi element, and they'd still work perfectly. (Much like Winter Soldier - a spy film, which just happened to have a superhero!) Totally get that 'just one more episode' feeling... been there... still going there! Currently like that with Carnival Row (but K can only handle one episode at a time because he's a far more sensitive soul than me!).

21 hours ago, Enaira said:

Nice one!

For me it started just like Gail. I hated Miller's hairstyle. Really unappealing. But after each episode I wanted to watch more... besides the great plot, cast, the perfect decor and the script ... my mind was hooked on Miller 😉

It seems we are developing something of an obsession with Tom's hair; you hated Miller's hairstyle, I really dislike Mandel's moustache! 🤣 I love Miller's hair, especially when he finally accepts his Belter heritage, and re-cuts it. I would totally have a Belter haircut if I thought it would suit me. And if I didn't think it might make me look like a Skrillex fan!

I soooo agree with you about good villains and bad heroes; one of the best things about The Expanse is that for the most part, everyone is in a grey area. There is no black and white. Even Volovodov, who is basically a 'lawful good' character (D&D reference, if you're wondering), has a bit of a selfish streak. Although, admittedly, the justification for "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" is for the good of mankind, and understanding her faith in order be of better service. Everyone else is chaotic good, lawful evil, or chaotic neutral.

I put Miller in the latter character class; when you think about it, becoming completely obsessed with a woman half his age, whom he's never met, does err on the side of creepy! Plus, he accepts bribes, double-crosses folk... he's actually not entirely a nice person, really! 

The protomolecule, however, is true neutral!

22 hours ago, Mike said:

Well, damn - you just won the Internet, Mike! Nice to meet you, BTW! The audio books are great, aren't they? 

On 10/18/2019 at 1:09 PM, The Goktor said:

A friend of mine recommended the serie when it was on Netflix. At that time, I had finished my studies and was unemployed, and I wanted to use my free time to discover more SF stuff, for personal culture. I decided to rent the first book at my local library, as I prefer to read the book before watching any adaptation. Then I watched the first season and, well, that escalated quickly after that xD

I didn't picture Miller exactly like TJ, but was immediatly convinced by his interpretation. And wondering about the haircut as well, but I've come to like it, just like Naomi's mohawk 😊

3 hours ago, The Goktor said:

I soooo agree with you about good villains and bad heroes; one of the best things about The Expanse is that for the most part, everyone is in a grey area. There is no black and white. Even Volovodov, who is basically a 'lawful good' character (D&D reference, if you're wondering), has a bit of a selfish streak. Although, admittedly, the justification for "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" is for the good of mankind, and understanding her faith in order be of better service. Everyone else is chaotic good, lawful evil, or chaotic neutral.

I put Miller in the latter character class; when you think about it, becoming completely obsessed with a woman half his age, whom he's never met, does err on the side of creepy! Plus, he accepts bribes, double-crosses folk... he's actually not entirely a nice person, really! 

The protomolecule, however, is true neutral!

100% agree! And what I find interesting with this classification in The Expanse, it's the evolution of the characters. Holden for example, can seem to be the typical lawful good guy, almost boring. But he's changed a lot since the beginning of the story, and entered that grey area, not even knowing what is good or not anymore sometimes.

To me, Miller has the most moving evolution, as he found his redemption path by saving Julie and Earth. (And more, but we'll see that later 😉)

On 10/18/2019 at 1:38 PM, Mike said:

Hello there 😀 I've heard a lot about those audio books. Gotta try them someday!

So, question - I’m considering reading The Expanse books but will it be a better or worse experience for knowing the TV series word-for-word (well, almost)?  I know when I’ve done it the other way round it’s spoiled the film or whatever because it didn’t match the picture in my head, but will reading the books now give more depth to characters, etc.?

8 minutes ago, Gail said:

So, question - I’m considering reading The Expanse books but will it be a better or worse experience for knowing the TV series word-for-word (well, almost)?  I know when I’ve done it the other way round it’s spoiled the film or whatever because it didn’t match the picture in my head, but will reading the books now give more depth to characters, etc.?

Absolutely - do read them; you'll get so much more out of the series, and since you already 'know' the characters, the books will be that much more alive, if you see what I mean!

Some of the characters will seem a bit different (Ade in the first episode is white, whereas in the book she's black), Naomi towers over Holden (who is a bit chubby). Bobbie is far larger, Alex is balding, and Chrisjen is much older and cynical (if you can imagine such a thing!). Oh, and TV Drummer is a combination of several book characters (Bull, Drummer, Sam, and Michio). Beyond that though, apart from the TV series having to truncate some of the stories, you won't find a whole lot of difference. 

In chronological order, the books and novellas are:

Drive - novella
The Butcher of Anderson Station - novella
The Churn - novella
Leviathan Wakes 
Last Flight of the Cassandra - novella
Caliban's War 
Gods of Risk - novella
Abaddon's Gate
The Vital Abyss - novella 
Cibola Burn 
Nemesis Games
Babylon's Ashes 
Strange Dogs - novella
Persepolis Rising
Tiamat's Wrath 
Auberon - novella (Dec this year)
Un-titled book 9 (next year?)

You don't have to read the first three novellas before you start Leviathan Wakes but they do give some background to the characters. The other novellas do, however, need to be read in the above order. If you only read two novellas, go for The Churn and Strange Dogs. If you only read three, add The Vital Abyss. I suspect Gods of Risk may be incorporated into S4.

Happy reading!

Gail, I usually also read the books before seeing the movie. This time however, it was the other way around. I've only read Leviathan Wakes so far and it was really good, as indicated by The Gotkor and Al. So you can start with it without any second thoughts, or start with the novellas as indicated above. Whatever you choose: enjoy! 

Thank you ladies as always (especially for all the extra info on chronology) - I will dive on in and report back!! 👍👍

Thomas will be in Toronto by the end of the week. 

Keep us posted!👍