Based on our previous exchange with The Gotkor, I am afraid it will be so... the only way would be to insert parts of Miller's previous life (prequel inserts from "Origin") which apparently are not in the initial books... it would make sooo much sense! I'm all for it obviously. 

Geoff - you give with one hand and take away with the other........😭😭😭😭😭

https://occhimagazine.com/director-robert-lieberman-talks-the-expanse-and-directing-film/

Little reading to get a idea!

Seems like in such a large endeavour the hands are tied in a large extent. Let's wait for Tom to report next year about what his impact will be.

oh blimey, lots of Questions. List em out for me and I'll answer what I can. 

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Ok gang, BIG news time.

Whilst there will be a lot to discuss and much I dont know (yet)  I can tell you that S5 will have a very special....................................

.....DIRECTOR 

That's brilliant news, Geoff! Like I said before, Nemesis Games (book 5) is when shit gets real, so assuming S5 will be NG, I imagine directing it (even if only in part), is going to be right up Tom's street. How exciting!

2 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

Nemesis Games (book 5) is when shit gets real

Sounds awesome when you speak about the books like that 😳😁👍🏻

I am thrilled.... it has potential for cultness in Sci-Fi history right?

2 hours ago, Enaira said:

Sounds awesome when you speak about the books like that 😳😁👍🏻

I am thrilled.... it has potential for cultness in Sci-Fi history right?

I suspect it attained cult status when SyFy cancelled it! 😂

9 hours ago, Enaira said:

Past the euphoria of having guessed correctly, this news is great also because we can learn again so much more about how movies/series are made. I have a bunch of questions already:

- in such a huge environment, where does his responsibility start and ends? What can he influence apart actor's direction? Will he have his saying about lighting, colors, scenery? The sequence and final cut of scenes I guess...?

- doesn't he need to be active way before the cast between pre-production and production ? He needs to direct the crew as well, when do they first meet? How long do they have to set things up before the cast arrives?

- I would expect that he's active also during post-production, therefore I don't understand how "Run hide fight" and Crimson could take place any time soon? 

- He will get a lot of say along with the DP and editor.

-Not sure on time scales for pre shoot meeting I expect he will go into them straight upon arrival, remember this show is not filmed in sequence of episodes. 

-RUN, HIDE, FIGHT will be shot before Tom heads to Toronto. CRIMSON has a hard wrap for Dec as far as im aware so needs to be completed by then, likely shot after EXPANSE.

8 hours ago, Enaira said:

So exciting... more questions:

- how did he secured the deal? Did he speak to Jeff? 😉 does Jeff like Dark Country? I guess there are intermediate levels of course. 

- since when does he know?

- one episode, a few, or the whole series? 

- the news is now really public? I mean... this forum is public so, we can spread the word? 

Looking forward to the next Q&A!!

-LOL, Im sure Jeff isn't even aware.  Although you never know. 

-Since when does who know what?

-As far as im aware Thomas is only doing one episode as Director, but who knows. Thomas' Episode is series 5 Ep 3.

-Keep here for now please. (just to be on the safe side)

8 hours ago, Gail said:

But..... but...... does this mean that he won’t actually appear in S5?  Is it asking too much of even his talents to direct and act in a project of this scale?  😥😥

-Short answer is I don't know, my gut is telling me no however, BUT I could well be wrong. Thomas is tight lipped on that one. .

47 minutes ago, Geoff said:

-Since when does who know what?

Sorry 🤣 I wasn't very clear on that one!

I meant since when does he have the deal secured. My question actually being: how long was he able to prepare for this new "role"?

(Am astonished you didn't get the question, you usually manage much more precarious sentences from me with ease 😁)

7 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Sorry 🤣 I wasn't very clear on that one!

I meant since when does he have the deal secured. My question actually being: how long was he able to prepare for this new "role"?

(Am astonished you didn't get the question, you usually manage much more precarious sentences from me with ease 😁)

hahahahaha - Deal is done hence why im able to mention it but I think its best for know to stay within the forum, that's one of the benefits of being here. 

I think Ariane is asking when the deal was done, and how long TJ has had to get his director’s head on (though apologies if that’s not what you were asking at all!!)

2 minutes ago, Gail said:

I think Ariane is asking when the deal was done, and how long TJ has had to get his director’s head on (though apologies if that’s not what you were asking at all!!)

Thanks, I feel understood! 

Right, with ya. Deal was done around beginning to mid Sept so he has been looking at it for a little while now and totally in the zone with it. 

Sorry long day. 

Thank you Geoff, wishing you a great evening! 

Sorry, had an unusually busy day today so only had time to quickly scan over and digest the Big News - I may have some questions later but no pressure to respond Geoff, you put your feet up and have a lovely evening 😉

Just popping in to drop off these screenshots I took from the S4 trailer. Just to keep us going!

miller.jpg

miller 2.jpg

12 hours ago, Gail said:

Sorry, had an unusually busy day today so only had time to quickly scan over and digest the Big News - I may have some questions later but no pressure to respond Geoff, you put your feet up and have a lovely evening 😉

LOL, I slept for like 10 hours totally unheard of.

Ask away I'll answer what im allowed too. 

2 hours ago, The Goktor said:

Just popping in to drop off these screenshots I took from the S4 trailer. Just to keep us going!

miller.jpg

miller 2.jpg

👍🏻

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

LOL, I slept for like 10 hours totally unheard of.

Ask away I'll answer what im allowed too. 

Whoaaa... 10 hours? I am so envious! I'm lucky if I get two at a time - usually, 90 mins is my lot, and then I'm wide awake, and raring to go (hence being up and at 'em by 5.30!). I have no idea what it must be like to sleep like a normal humie, instead of a cat! Anyway, I hope you feel much rested now, G-Man, and ready to face the next onslaught of questions!

Back on topic...

S5 - I'm curious to know more about how directing scenes in which you actually appear works. Does it make it easier as an actor to direct yourself and others, or does it make it easier as a director to be able to do the actual acting too? Or does it make no difference, really? I've acted and done a brief bit of directing* but not both at the same time.

S4 - Was there much mo-cap involved for Tom? Particular for later Miller appearances. I can't wait to see how 'that' turns out, and whether it's anything like I've envisioned in my head!

(*Only in AmDram socs I've belonged to! In one, we used to job-swap so we could all get a feel for what others did, so while I was primarily the group's wardrobe mistress, I did a few stints as set designer/painter/decorator, and one very brief foray into directing - which was really cool, actually. I've done a fair bit of acting - at amateur level, of course - too.)

1 hour ago, The Goktor said:

S5 - I'm curious to know more about how directing scenes in which you actually appear works. Does it make it easier as an actor to direct yourself and others, or does it make it easier as a director to be able to do the actual acting too? Or does it make no difference, really? I've acted and done a brief bit of directing* but not both at the same time.

I think that differs person to person. For example Clint Eastwood finds it dead easy to do both but I know Thomas found it quite hard in DC so when we were all talking about AMDFASH he really just wanted to direct that and focus there. Thomas does like complete focus so he can give it his best so im not sure that Miller will be in S5 and this may be one of the reasons Tom was cool with agreeing to do it as he would be able to focus on it.

1 hour ago, The Goktor said:

S4 - Was there much mo-cap involved for Tom? Particular for later Miller appearances. I can't wait to see how 'that' turns out, and whether it's anything like I've envisioned in my head!

Pass - Good question for the next Q & A.

30 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Any idea when that might be?  I know Tom is up to his eyes in work just now, but the last one was such good fun I’m really looking forward to the next one! 🙂

10 minutes ago, Gail said:

Any idea when that might be?  I know Tom is up to his eyes in work just now, but the last one was such good fun I’m really looking forward to the next one! 🙂

Total pass on that too. Ill schedule him in before the end of the year but thats about all I could stretch too for now.

55 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Total pass on that too. Ill schedule him in before the end of the year but thats about all I could stretch too for now.

Cool! 👍👍

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I think that differs person to person. For example Clint Eastwood finds it dead easy to do both but I know Thomas found it quite hard in DC so when we were all talking about AMDFASH he really just wanted to direct that and focus there. Thomas does like complete focus so he can give it his best so im not sure that Miller will be in S5 and this may be one of the reasons Tom was cool with agreeing to do it as he would be able to focus on it.

OMG - I am such a dumbass! I know that Miller isn't in Book 5, so why the hell did I even write that? 

**note to self - keep away from the internet when in the throes of a particularly bad headache**

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Cool - I just need to remember!

On 10/8/2019 at 5:05 AM, Geoff said:

Ok gang, BIG news time.

Whilst there will be a lot to discuss and much I dont know (yet)  I can tell you that S5 will have a very special....................................

.....DIRECTOR 

That's an awesome news! Thank you for sharing it with us Geoff 😊

I'm very curious to see what his contribution to the serie will be, behind the camera this time. It will be interesting to hear him speak about his acting and directing experience in the show after that. Regardless of what happens to Miller, it's nice to know he'll still be around in S5 😀

So, to our topic... :

- I think I remember him saying he read the first two books some time ago. If he hasn't, will he read books 3 to 5, regarding to his director work? Or does he prefer not to be influenced by the source material?