A prequel series about the life of Miller before Julie entered his world?

Something like "Better call Saul"?

10 minutes ago, Enaira said:

How weird, I posted something similar yesterday but it seems to have slipped through a ring gate into the slow zone! I was having internet issues all day yesterday, so I'm guessing that it didn't actually post at all. Poo!

What I said was that it would be really cool if the backstories from Expanse Origins were filmed, along with some of the detail from the books that's been omitted from the series. There's quite a lot about Miller that doesn't come across on TV (e.g. his relationship with his wife, the way he's viewed by the rest of Star Helix and the local crims, etc.). He's a far more complex character in the books. But not as complex as Amos, and TBH, if I had to choose only one backstory to be filmed, it would be his, not Miller's because actually, Amos is far more interesting, and has so much more development!

So yep, you and I are thinking along similar lines, Ariane!

1 minute ago, The Goktor said:

How weird, I posted something similar yesterday but it seems to have slipped through a ring gate into the slow zone!

My synaptic network is where it landed and it's not a slow zone. Poo you! 🤨

I loved your post and the vision of long hours TV bliss with TJ it is offering.

I am now speaking as someone who has not read the books (just and only the first one - leviathan awakes). Miller is faaar more interesting than Amos! Don't get me wrong I liked his character very much and I believe you. There were some hints about his youth....?

You know what? Two Prequels are needed! 

1 hour ago, Enaira said:

Heaven!!!!

Amos backstory would be good too though! 🤞

1 hour ago, Enaira said:

My synaptic network is where it landed and it's not a slow zone. Poo you! 🤨

Well, I'm glad we've cleared up that particular mystery, then, and I am soooo happy our mind-meld gave you so much pleasure! 🖖 😆

1 hour ago, Enaira said:

I am now speaking as someone who has not read the books (just and only the first one - leviathan awakes). Miller is faaar more interesting than Amos! Don't get me wrong I liked his character very much and I believe you. There were some hints about his youth....?

Oh, I agree about Miller being far more interesting in LW.... but just you wait! 😋

Also, Miller doesn't have his own novella (surely a crime has been committed there?!), whereas Amos does, which definitely helps us understand him better. We need a Miller novella, dammit!

And while we're at it, an Avasarala one too. 

I love that when we first see Amos (talking TV here), we think, "Oh, just another grunt", and then we come to realise that while he may have big muscles, he also has a big brain, and a really big heart. Sure, sometimes doing what is necessary is often shitty but I really like the way he is completely unsentimental about things. The way he dealt with Strickland was not that different to Miller's solution to the Dresden problem. Miller and Amos aren't really that different.

For me, one of Amos' most poignant moments was when he was asking whether Cortázar's transcranial magnetic hyperstimulation was reversible. My heart really went out to Amos because empathy hurts, and what I got from that scene was that Amos was tired of hurting. Just because he's not sentimental, it doesn't mean he's incapable of sympathy... nor indeed, empathy. 

I may be guilty of giving Amos' character a lot of thought! 

12 minutes ago, Gail said:

Heaven!!!!

Amos backstory would be good too though! 🤞

There are two! Or rather, one novella and one graphic short story. And then in Nemesis Games (book 5), Amos really comes into his own. It's my favourite book (so far). Not because of the Amos stuff but because that's when - as our stateside cousins might opine - shit gets real. 😆

Well that sounds good! I'll discover Amos during the next months/years then. My pile of books to read is so high, it will take time. But I'll keep him in mind. 

16 hours ago, Enaira said:

Well that sounds good! I'll discover Amos during the next months/years then. My pile of books to read is so high, it will take time. But I'll keep him in mind. 

Amos is totally worth keeping in mind! 

(I say that purely in the sense of being fond of the character, not being in any way sexually attracted to either book or TV Amos. Just to be clear!)

24 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

ot being in any way sexually attracted to either book or TV Amos. Just to be clear!

Bis repetita placent ... 😁

Fjc54zM.jpg

1 hour ago, Enaira said:

Bis repetita placent ... 😁

You know Horace's Ars Poetica. Cool!

Oh ladies - I used to think I was reasonably well educated but you’re both making me feel like a bumpkin simpleton now! ☹️  I know what it means but only thanks to the power of Google (other search engines are available 😉)

I have to disappoint you both. I only have rudimentary knowledge about latin and Horace's work from the time I was 12 years old.

French is quite close historically and linguistically to latin, so there are sentences that everyone knows and uses regularly. Examples:

Errare humanum est sed perseverare diabolicum

In vino veritas

Alea iacta est

And since "The Punisher" I've added to my collection:

Si vis pacem para bellum

And now... back to something completely different! 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:36 PM, Gail said:

Oh ladies - I used to think I was reasonably well educated but you’re both making me feel like a bumpkin simpleton now! ☹️  I know what it means but only thanks to the power of Google (other search engines are available 😉)

I had a very isolated childhood - books were my best friends! My grandfather was a master bookbinder, plus, our house was filled with books, so I was never going to be allowed to get away with not reading! As an adult, I've had to use a lot of primary and secondary sources when researching for my own writing (and just for fun), gnarly old poets come up a fair bit. As does Latin... because medieval scribes were smart-arses, who didn't want the plebs being able to read, and therefore, question the words of God and the Law! As Ariane said though, if you can speak a bit of French, Latin isn't that much of a stretch. Being half-Italian helps too. 

You're clearly far from being a simpleton, Gail; I suspect that most people aren't that familiar with Roman poets. Familiarity with Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace) is just one of the many examples of completely useless crap I have in my head. Not much genuinely useful stuff in there though! 🤣

On 9/21/2019 at 5:51 AM, Enaira said:

I have to disappoint you both. I only have rudimentary knowledge about latin and Horace's work from the time I was 12 years old.

I am shocked and devastated! 🤣😋

You can only redeem yourself in my eyes by reading the rest of The Expanse! 🤭

Speaking of which, Geoff, please give Bossmang a nudge* - we're itching to be told this BIG news! Honestly, I don't actually care if it involves Miller or not - I just want more Expanse stuff!

#Beltalowda 

*Yeah, I know he's a busy bee!

On 9/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, Enaira said:

I remember someone asking James SA Corey on Twitter  if there will be a novella about Miller before book one. Can't find the answer right now, but I think he tweeted back it wouldn't be that interesting or original, as it would only be another story of a character slowly falling into alcoholism and despair, like so many others. Something like that. But that was some time ago, and with TJ and all the writers team of the show, that could be quiet different. That would surely be great 😀

Otherwise, if you can indeed find this comic, I would definetly recommend it! It shows the backstory of Holden, Naomi, Amos, Alex and Miller in a new way, different and complementary to the books and the TV show.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:47 PM, The Goktor said:

There are two! Or rather, one novella and one graphic short story. And then in Nemesis Games (book 5), Amos really comes into his own. It's my favourite book (so far). Not because of the Amos stuff but because that's when - as our stateside cousins might opine - shit gets real. 😆

I totally agree!!! Can't wait to see "that" particular event on screen, and all the reactions 😁 I briefly discussed it with Wes Chatham and Steven Strait in Fedcon, they're very impatient too x)

Ok! We're speaking about a "thing" when shit gets real in book 5... if I'm not mistaken book 4 will be season 4 and book 5 season 5... so... it will air earliest Xmas 2020 😳😪

I'll probably be faster reading books 2 to 5 plus the annexes!

6 hours ago, The Goktor said:

Honestly, I don't actually care if it involves Miller or not 

🥺🥺🥺

Sorry - just had a small attack of the vapours! 

Of course we want Expanse news but really - that comment might be tantamount to heresy in these here parts!! 😉😉

6 hours ago, The Goktor said:

Familiarity with Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace) is just one of the many examples of completely useless crap I have in my head. Not much genuinely useful stuff in there though! 🤣

I’m sure that’s not true!  My level of useless crap (although quite a large amount) is pretty limited to nuggets of general knowledge - the type of stuff that would possibly score a point or two on QI!  My favourite is the origin of the naming of the football table top game Subbuteo (which I’ll expand on if anyone is remotely interested!)

Your childhood sounds fascinating though, certainly must have come in handy along the way!! 😁

Right, back on topic before Geoff has to get the big stick out!

4 hours ago, Al. said:

I remember someone asking James SA Corey on Twitter  if there will be a novella about Miller before book one. Can't find the answer right now, but I think he tweeted back it wouldn't be that interesting or original, as it would only be another story of a character slowly falling into alcoholism and despair, like so many others. Something like that. But that was some time ago, and with TJ and all the writers team of the show, that could be quiet different. That would surely be great 😀

That would be brilliant!  I haven’t read the books so don’t know how close TJ plays it to the literary version but he did say in May’s Q&A that there was a lot of him in Miller so I’m sure he could make us feel empathy rather than pity or a feeling of ‘here we go again’!

6 hours ago, Al. said:

That's the beauty of being a writer though, isn't it? Sure, plenty of characters (esp detectives!) experience that downward spiral but you can always expound as to why. We already have snippets of Miller's character and backstory - it's not as though there's nothing to build upon! As you say, with the others on board, really good things could happen!

6 hours ago, Al. said:

Otherwise, if you can indeed find this comic, I would definetly recommend it! It shows the backstory of Holden, Naomi, Amos, Alex and Miller in a new way, different and complementary to the books and the TV show.

Agreed - I really like the Origins stories. Especially the one involving Amos' pin. 

6 hours ago, Al. said:

I totally agree!!! Can't wait to see "that" particular event on screen, and all the reactions 😁 I briefly discussed it with Wes Chatham and Steven Strait in Fedcon, they're very impatient too x)

Oh, gosh, yes! When I first read 'that' event... let's just say (for the sake of not spoiling it for the others), my jaw dropped! 🤯

2 hours ago, Enaira said:

Ok! We're speaking about a "thing" when shit gets real in book 5... if I'm not mistaken book 4 will be season 4 and book 5 season 5... so... it will air earliest Xmas 2020 😳😪

I'll probably be faster reading books 2 to 5 plus the annexes!

That reminds me of a Tweet to JK Rowling I once saw; someone said they couldn't wait for the next film (I forget which one it was), so could she give any spoilers as to what was going to happen. She Tweeted back that she had written an entire book full of spoilers! 😂

2 hours ago, Gail said:

🥺🥺🥺

Sorry - just had a small attack of the vapours! 

I bet your gast has never been so flabbered, too!

2 hours ago, Gail said:

Of course we want Expanse news but really - that comment might be tantamount to heresy in these here parts!! 😉😉

Damn, I've been rumbled! Heresy is my middle name! 😋

2 hours ago, Gail said:

I’m sure that’s not true!  My level of useless crap (although quite a large amount) is pretty limited to nuggets of general knowledge - the type of stuff that would possibly score a point or two on QI!  My favourite is the origin of the naming of the football table top game Subbuteo (which I’ll expand on if anyone is remotely interested!)

Your childhood sounds fascinating though, certainly must have come in handy along the way!! 😁

Right, back on topic before Geoff has to get the big stick out!

I know how Subbuteo got its name - I'm a big QI fan too! (Although I do think it's time Alan Davies got another job - he becomes more coarse with age, it seems.) My childhood was... interesting, of sorts. And not always in a good way!

2 hours ago, Gail said:

That would be brilliant!  I haven’t read the books so don’t know how close TJ plays it to the literary version but he did say in May’s Q&A that there was a lot of him in Miller so I’m sure he could make us feel empathy rather than pity or a feeling of ‘here we go again’!

Tom's Miller, IMO, is much less of a sad sack than Book Miller! But this is why I'd like a Miller-centric novella because in the books he doesn't come across nearly as well as in the show... which is, of course, entirely down to the screenwriting, direction, and Tom. I'm not saying I dislike Book Miller - quite the opposite... I have a weakness for cynical world-weary folk! However, a novella, giving us more backstory of what led to him to becoming the grizzled old git we know and love, would be pretty fab! Some is mentioned in the novels, some in Origins... but dammit, we need more!

Ooh, I've just thought - maybe the big news is that Tom and Tim are working on a Miller comic. How amazeballs would that be? Or a series of 'em. 

1 hour ago, The Goktor said:

Ooh, I've just thought - maybe the big news is that Tom and Tim are working on a Miller comic. How amazeballs would that be? Or a series of 'em. 

Don't get me started!

That would amaze my balls indeed.

😁

9 hours ago, Enaira said:

Nope. 

13 hours ago, Enaira said:

Don't get me started!

That would amaze my balls indeed.

😁

Where's that Ooh Matron gif? 🤣🤣🤣🤣