Tim Bradstreet

Depth Of Field - Podcast Episode 6!

We have a new show title and a HELLUVA cool podcast for you all as this week we talk to Bad Planet penciler and Concept Artist Extraordinaire . . . James Daly! We go on and on about the old times and bring it all up to the present day. We talk about influences, doing finishes over Ashley Wood on Ghost Rider, working on Bad Planet, breaking in to the business, and Jim's insight into what it takes to be a concept artist for BIG LEAGUE video game companies.

The young artist contingent will not want to miss this.

But it's not just for them. As per usual we entertain across the board!

I say it now and I'll say it again, go LISTEN to the the show! If you haven't checked out the other episodes please listen to those as well.

There are literally HOURS of entertainment and outta sight info on display for your enjoyment RIGHT HERE ------> http://www.rawstudios.com/podcast.html

Join us won't you?

Please feel free to feedback on Episode 6 right here in this thread.

*We want to know what you think.

- TB

*(Disclaimer) Please post only if you have overwhelmingly positive things to say. We love positive feedback. Your negativity helps no one ;)**

** (Disclaimer 2) When absorbing disclaimer 1, please note that said disclaimer is meant as "sarcasm".

It won't make any sense until you listen to the episode but this is the Jim Daly drawing I fawn all over during the course of our broadcast.

Now go see what I'm talking about by clicking the link in the post above and download episode 6!

gashead.jpg

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I didn't know (do we call him Jim or James?) work before Bad Planet, but now he's far and away one of my favorite illustrators. The work posted on myspace just blew me away. I wish I had a regular monthly fix of his work, so knowing now that he's toiling away behind the scenes on games makes me kind of sad :(

Hopefully he just updates his website and myspace page a lot!

hahahaha.

PS- Just wanted to add, James is one of those artists who's work I enjoy because it makes me want to sit down and draw. There are a handful of artists who's use of light and dark, and who's line work just get my wheels turning and my juices flowing, and the next thing I know I'm sitting at the drawing table.

I inked 2 pages while I was listening to the podcast by the way!

PPS- I use strathmore 400 series paper all the time. I also like their "recycled" paper. I turned an entire story in on this stuff once and the editor asked "Why did you use this shitty paper?" hahahaha. But it works great for the tools I use.

:)

Glad you dug it Noeland - Folks like you are the reason we wanted to do this show.

Jim is a very talented chap and we were very lucky to snatch him up between gigs for BP.

Just wish there was a way to keep him in the fold for "Lycan".

Young and older artists alike out there, listen to this podcast and note the passion that Jim exudes when speaking about his craft.

It's that passion that gets directed onto the page when we work. It's an essential ingredient to getting anywhere as an illustrator (artist).

Passion goes a long way. And if you don't have it, it's probably best to seek other avenues of gainful employment.

Love what you do and it shows through in your work, and that statement holds meaning for whatever it is you do.

- TB

I agree with Noeland. I was really impressed by Daly's work. He's very unique in his movements. Very cool.

I can't wait for more RAW comics like Lycan.

Need to catch up on Podcasts more often. Some good stuff goin' on.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I think you guys have done some cool podcasts so far Tim. Even the subjects I'm not well versed in like 3D are very interesting to hear about, and I've absolutely become a fan of Ray's work now.

JD seems like a pretty funny dude beyond being a talented sumbitch, so I'm just saying if Tim can't be available because he's off in parts unknown, Tom, I think you might have found a decent fill in there. :)

OH, by the way. I really liked Moon 44. Roland Emmerich directed that you know, and he and Dean Devlin met each other on the set of it.

The rest is cinematic HISTORY!!

hahahaha.

Yeah the stuff about the 3D is very interesting to me. I've always been fascinated by it when it's done good. It can really open up alot of doors when it's done just right. It can be pretty awesome.

JO

Well, I didn't know (do we call him Jim or James?)

Hopefully he just updates his website and myspace page a lot!

hahahaha.

PS- Just wanted to add, James is one of those artists who's work I enjoy because it makes me want to sit down and draw. There are a handful of artists who's use of light and dark, and who's line work just get my wheels turning and my juices flowing, and the next thing I know I'm sitting at the drawing table.

Jim, James, just not Jimmy. ;)

Seriously, thanks so much for the kind words and really no better compliment than you get jazzed up to draw by looking at the funny stuff I do. I am not great accepting compliments, I have always been afraid it would make me relax and stop learning. But really glad you like the stuff I've done, and thanks for supporting Bad Planet!

Also if you are looking for some reasonably nice Strathmore paper to do comics on, and don't have a hook-up for Marvel Strathmore Boards (my favorite paper), Blueline Pro makes some nice pre-ruled Strathmore boards. I believe they supply Image with boards actually.

--Jim

PS--I have been updating the myspace (myspace.com/jmdaly3) page regularly with new sketches. I will post more BP pencils soon. Since Issue 4 is out, I can show more of that stuff.

kewl interview.

I couldn't check out your website, though. I think that all the bandwidth is used up due to excessive traffic or something... But I dig what you're doing on Bad Planet.

The myspace page? Uughh... I don't know what the appeal of that place is but it's crazy :-)

Anytime I clicked on art it took me to something that wasn't art. (?)

Have you ever considered deviantart?

Guest AdminGuyX

If you don't have a myspace account (and it sounds like you don't) then you would not be able to view the photos and stuff without being signed in.

The appeal of the place is, for some, hook ups, for others it's just one more way to stay in touch with friends and family. You can share photo albums and whatever is going on in your day to day life on there through blogs and picture diaries and such.

Seriously, thanks so much for the kind words and really no better compliment than you get jazzed up to draw by looking at the funny stuff I do.

You're welcome. I'm happy to have found your work! Blueline Pro does great stuff, and over the years I've used thier stuff on and off. Now days though I am drawing my pages to size (gasp, horror, for shame) so I don't use the blueline much anymore. Once in a while though.

PS--I have been updating the myspace (myspace.com/jmdaly3) page regularly with new sketches. I will post more BP pencils soon. Since Issue 4 is out, I can show more of that stuff.

Cool. I'll keep an eye for it!

Thanks Jim!

;)

Guest FADoss
kewl interview.

I couldn't check out your website, though. I think that all the bandwidth is used up due to excessive traffic or something... But I dig what you're doing on Bad Planet.

The myspace page? Uughh... I don't know what the appeal of that place is but it's crazy :-)

Anytime I clicked on art it took me to something that wasn't art. (?)

Have you ever considered deviantart?

Listening to Podcast #1 right now...and Tim talks a lot at the beginning about the goodness that is myspace. There's a lot of JUNK, but for comics it is an AMAZING networking tool. Unlike actors and musician, very few people are attempting to pretend to be comic personalities. Look at my profile in my signature and you'll find a whole load of top artists and writers in my top friends (including Daly and Bradstreet).

I've been using it to network for film and it's been amazing.

Frederic

On 12/29/2007 at 12:29 AM, Tim Bradstreet said:

We have a new show title and a HELLUVA cool podcast for you all as this week we talk to Bad Planet penciler and Concept Artist Extraordinaire . . . James Daly! We go on and on about the old times and bring it all up to the present day. We talk about influences, doing finishes over Ashley Wood on Ghost Rider, working on Bad Planet, breaking in to the business, and Jim's insight into what it takes to be a concept artist for BIG LEAGUE video game companies.

The young artist contingent will not want to miss this.

But it's not just for them. As per usual we entertain across the board!

I say it now and I'll say it again, go LISTEN to the the show! If you haven't checked out the other episodes please listen to those as well.

There are literally HOURS of entertainment and outta sight info on display for your enjoyment RIGHT HERE ------> http://www.rawstudios.com/podcast.html

Hello Geoff,

Poor you I have a new question...

Any idea why this announced podcast isn't where it should be?

Meaning: when I click on the link I get a RAW page saying "go to hell" (well actually it says nothing has been posted yet).

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, Enaira said:

Hello Geoff,

Poor you I have a new question...

Any idea why this announced podcast isn't where it should be?

Meaning: when I click on the link I get a RAW page saying "go to hell" (well actually it says nothing has been posted yet).

Thanks in advance!

lol, if it wernt for you guys I wouldn't have much a of a job so all questions are fine.

We are currently on version 3 of RAW, I dont think the pod casts made it over to the new version but will see what I can find. Ive not seen en since about 2011 so chances of me uncovering these are slim I fear.

Ok thank you for your help!

The reason is, I'm finding my way within French and Belgian graphic novels (OK maybe not the "new" stuff of the past 10 years) but I honestly don't know much about what has been done in the US. I have the feeling these podcasts are more than just recommendations about what we should read. My guess is that Tim explains a lot about the art, the background story, the connections and the history of it all.

It's not urgent... but maybe you'll find something. 

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

lol, if it wernt for you guys I wouldn't have much a of a job so all questions are fine.

I’m sure sometimes you must look and think “For the love of God, what now???!!”  But you’ve never let us down yet, super impressed with your tenacity 👍😁

Sorry I can seem to find any archives anywhere for the podcasts. 

Thank you for trying!