Sign in to follow this  
johnpweber

Identity: an e-novel by Mark Hosack

If you guys dug Malone, Mark just had his first e-novel released yesterday. If you buy it now ( or at least until Aug. 21st) you can get it for only $1.99.

It looks like it went from 400,000 on the amazon rankings, to 3500 overnight. The more books Mark can sell, the closer he will get to having his publisher put out physical copies. And it helps him to feed the kids ;)

Look for Identity here: http://www.amazon.com/Identity-ebook/dp/B007BP3K18/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344462950&sr=1-1&keywords=mark+hosack

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's true. I'm back to haunt the rawboards -- in book form!! John, thanks so much for posting. Everyone else, thanks so much for checking out Malone in the past and I hope you pick up IDENTITY too. It's a fun ride. It's not set in the noir world--it's in the business world--kind of a Wall Street meets NXNW. Which, trust me, it has its fair share of creepy bad guys.

It's also super cheap until Aug 21st -- If you're on something other than a kindle, you can grab it on a Nook or iPad by going here:

http://markhosack.com/blog/pre-order-identity-now-2/

How's everybody doing?! I miss you guys. I wish we had Malone 2 up and hopping to share new pics of -- One Day! I hope everyone is doing well out there! Oh, and Good Lord -- Dirty Laundry rocked my lame ass! Wow. That was tremendous. Here's to hoping we get more of that, eh? If you pick it up, let me know what you think of my book!!!

Moving the above posts here from the Malone thread. If you are new here, or not sure who Mark is, he wrote the screenplay for Give 'em Hell Malone. Check it out if you have not.

He's also the guy tied to the carousel ;)

Welcome back, Mark!

Congratulations on the book; I hope it becomes a mega success! :D

Your presence on RAW has been missed. But since you’ve been busy writing a novel, I guess you have a good reason for your absence. ;)

I read the preview/sample. It’s EXCELLENT! So, what if one doesn’t have a kindle, Nook, or iPad? Will IDENTITY be available as a book soon or is it only going to be exclusive as an eBook?

Thanks! Yes, it's been too long. Things are nuts -- I'm drowning in books and children. So glad to hear you enjoyed the preview! It'll come out in print if we sell enough e-books -- only Simon & Schuster know how many is enough, so.......... It probably won't be in print in the near, near future. If you want to read it, though, amazon has a free app -- a kindle app -- that you can use to read on your computer or smart phone:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Sorry, I know, what a pain -- but I'd love for you to check it out and tell me what you think!! It's on sale for $1.99 for another week -- you guys be sure to grab it before they gouge ya ; )

Gona grab meself the iPad version thingy, soon as I switch to my iPad in the other room.

I D E N T I T Y will keep me riveted to something engaging while my lady watches stuff that takes away my will to live.

Thanks for getting us back together for a few nights, Sahib Mark ;)

X - tb

Reading first chapter now. Best of luck with sales, Mark.

Let me know if you want me to broadcast again from our media outlets.

Cheers - TB

Thanks, Bradstreet! I'm glad to help the marriage's media consumption. ; )

Enjoy, and I'll keep you up to date--hoping we have more reviews and maybe a little movement on the film side of things soon....

Thanks! Yes, it's been too long. Things are nuts -- I'm drowning in books and children. So glad to hear you enjoyed the preview! It'll come out in print if we sell enough e-books -- only Simon & Schuster know how many is enough, so.......... It probably won't be in print in the near, near future. If you want to read it, though, amazon has a free app -- a kindle app -- that you can use to read on your computer or smart phone:

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000493771

Sorry, I know, what a pain -- but I'd love for you to check it out and tell me what you think!! It's on sale for $1.99 for another week -- you guys be sure to grab it before they gouge ya ; )

As patient of a person as I am, I can’t wait to read IDENTITY. With the preview alone, I'm hooked. Since it’s a bargain, and you seem like you really want me to read it, I’ll buy it. :D

Thanks for the link! Not a problem. Just new to me. After all, IDENTITY will be my 1st ebook. I’ll be more than happy to let you know my thoughts about your novel.

Hey! I'm glad to be your first e-book! It took me a while to get used to the change, and I still love books, but I do use an e-reader now, mostly for convenience. All those books on one little device! And I can look up words I don't know really easily.

I'll let you know if / when the paper version comes. I'm trying to get the publisher and Goodreads.com to do a giveaway for paper advance reader copies, but we'll see if that works........! I'm experiencing Goodreads problems....

Mark

Hey guys -- just as an FYI, the super cheap 1.99 sale for IDENTITY ends tonight at midnight. We're also giving away a free E-Reader, so if you're interested in one, please come sign up before midnight. You can do both here:

http://markhosack.com/blog/2012/08/20/hear-ye-hear-ye-the-identity-sale-and-e-reader-giveaway-ends-tonight-at-midnight/

Thanks so much everyone. Hope you enjoy the read!

IDENTITY is an exhilarating story about the world of business that radiates sheer brilliance from beginning to middle to end. This thrilling novel contains engrossing three-dimensional characters, rich dialogue, & stylish action. Surprising twists at every turn of the page. Highly recommend reading IDENTITY!

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!! DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU HAVE NOT READ (OR WRITTEN) THIS NOVEL!!! I DISCUSS CHARACTERS/EVENTS (INCLUDING THE ENDING) IN GREAT DETAIL!!!

MY IDENTITY REVIEW

THE OPENING -- Like I already mentioned before, the introduction struck my interest right away. I don’t judge books by their covers, but I will decide to buy a book based on whether or not the first page of it grabs my attention. IDENTITY had a strong grip on my mind throughout the course of reading.

PAUL MAJORS -- I'm Team Paul; he's my favorite character hands down. :D I enjoy the first-person narrative usage mainly because it allows me to get inside Paul’s head. In each problematic situation he faces, he’s thinking at a rate of what I would imagine my thought process to be. He’s realistic and a rare breed. He’s a GM who cares about the lives of his employees, not just their work ethics. I like how he worries for himself and others, tries to figure out a solution, makes a call, and then regrets some of his decisions.

I love Paul’s swear jar. Paul actually finds profanity offensive & believes that it’s a poor substitute for both wit and taste. Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Finally, a character in a book who shares my exact opinion on foul language. If only he had took the jar along with him on his various outings, he would’ve been very wealthy, which is something he knows already. ;)

Paul’s a wizard with communication. Jerry-speak. Sarah-speak. This is so true. One does have to have a specifically assigned dialect for nearly every single person in one’s life.

I look up to Paul and have a great deal of respect for him, but I do feel sorry for the guy. Here’s an ex-boxer who transformed into a businessman who happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. He doesn’t want to do a dirty deal with Cal Ackerman (great name) & Dick Swanson, who are conniving snakes. Then, he winds up taking the nametag of a Joe Carter, which happens to be the biggest mistake of his life. He’s thrown into the mix of a life that isn’t his and longs to return to his own world, which isn’t even glamorous. He doesn’t have a wife, kids, or any other known family to go back to. His only valuable substance is his job that happens to be crumbling around him by a scandal. Time to hit Middle C. Middle C. Middle C.

ELLIE DE LUCA -- Paul’s elevator angel. :) I like her. I don’t like her. I like her. I don’t like her…back-and-forth, etc. If there ever was a character I’ve done so much flip-flopping over, it’s Ellie. She’s crazy, manipulative, and naïve. She uses her sexuality to gain access to these powerful men and plays dumb when you give her answers she supposedly already knew or doesn‘t want to believe. I know that she’s smarter than she lets on.

I didn’t guess she was married to Joe Carter. Or that she killed him. Already. Or that the reason she became a killer is because of love for…Bruce Gibbs aka her Tigger. What!? Cue head spin.

I enjoyed the chemistry between Paul & Ellie. They made a great team despite the on-again, off-again honesty & lies. And yet, I’d still find myself believing Ellie. She tricked me, too. She smokes too much, which doesn’t particularly suit well with Paul. Her soldiers? She’s an odd one. I hate her jumping out the window. After everything, how could she kill herself? It seemed out of character, even for a nutcase. I had hoped she’d get credit for collaborating with the FBI, and then be punished for her crime. Her suicide just screamed the weakness of a frightened woman whose bravery evaporated too quickly.

BING & DAISY CHASE -- These two crooks somehow managed to raise a dignified, intelligent man. Maybe they didn’t include Paul in their fraud, because they didn’t want him to become like them. Or maybe Paul wasn’t invited into their circle, because that would mean less money for the Chases to split between them. What’s really bad is how Paul truly looked up to Bing. It’s always disappointing to see the person you’ve placed on a pedestal fall beneath you.

JOE CARTER -- [Note to self: Never pick up Joe Carter’s nametag.] Joe’s a man we didn’t even get to know officially & only discovered some of his life’s dilemmas after his demise. I expected him to pop up at the end. I’d be curious to see how Paul would handle such an encounter.

OTIS MANN -- Mann’s a cabbie who ended up haunting Paul forever. Paul didn’t even know him well. Mann’s death effected Paul so deeply, which is saddening. He’s a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

TYE WELCH -- Now, we’re talking. He’s BAD. There’s not one moment where we feel safe around this man. He’s a hired gun who takes his assignment too personally and becomes fixated on eliminating Paul. This guy takes lives so ruthlessly; his business of killing is sickening. I thought Alcatraz would be the last we saw of him, but the killer made it. The final showdown between Tye & Paul is relentless. He deserved plummeting to his death. Glass eye for an eye. ^_^

AGENT MORRIS PRICHARD -- Prichard is selfish and unkind; I don’t like him. He’s a no good, chain-smoking bully. The only time I did like him was when he acted as Joe. I thought he wanted to help. Their phone call is actually one of my favorite moments in the book. But after discovering he’s an FBI agent who used Paul, I categorized him among the rest of the baddies. In fact, he’s one of the worst. I didn’t care for his harsh treatment of Paul. When he mentioned Paul's willingness to be involved in the operation, I wanted to slap him myself. What can I say? Prichard got under my skin. <_<

AGENT MICHELLE LEWIS / LEXI PITT -- I really like Lexi, but I’m not too fond of Michelle. Lexi had the shut-up-&-pay-attention attitude. She taught useful & important lessons that stayed with Paul. Thinking it would be opened for me, I almost walked into a door the other day (sadly not kidding). Then, she’s with Prichard, and…I don’t know. She’s not as bad as Prichard, but she’s not too nice, either. She figures her spraying Paul with Mace is a part of the past she doesn’t have to apologize for doing. She’s tough, which is a good quality for an agent but also too reliant on Paul. Can’t she step up to the plate herself?

BRUCE GIBBS -- Bruce is a dangerous kind of villain. He can do devious things and get away with them all because he’s in a high, respectable position in society. He has real power, dominating every person in his life. When no one’s watching, his nerves show, so you know he’s only putting on a front to appear stronger than he is. Despite his flaws, people trust him. I even gave him the benefit of the doubt. His name being on a list made me think he was connected like Joe Carter. I didn’t really peg him as a guy who could order kills so coldly, though.

Shame on him for cheating on his wife w/ Ellie! He doesn’t care enough about his family. His true love his money, and he’s unstoppable when it comes to getting his dirty hands on loads. He’s disgraceful. Bruce is the definition of a slimeball.

LAURENT RUTAREMARA -- He represents the Lord’s Resistance Army. He’s obsessed with money/power/control. Rutaremara made Paul feel guilty for wanting a piece of the action & almost walked away from the Black Star deal that would earn him a sizeable chunk. I don’t like him. I’m scared of Rutaremara and the things he‘s capable of doing, so I don’t blame little dweeb Alexander for clicking the button to transfer the money.

GREED -- We mustn’t forget a character who lurks around all corners & joins each party at one time or another. Money. Money. & more money. Paul isn’t taken seriously until he demands money. Then, there’s Ellie who loved Bruce so much & wanted him all to herself so badly. Many characters have a desire for power. Nearly everyone seems to want more than they’re given; they feel they’re entitled to a huge piece of a big pie. It’s delectable when the ones who bite off more then they deserve get bitten.

CHASE SYSTEMS (SunSoft), FARM TREE, HERITAGE FINANCIAL, BLACK STAR -- Corporations or mines designed to improve the world & provide useful resources but are run by liars, killers, cheaters, Ponzi schemers -- Basically, they’re the sleaziest sewer rats on the planet. And not everybody is aware of the behind-the-scenes’ committed crimes. What’s frightening is that these businesses could be mirror images of companies in the real world. Could IDENTITY be a work of nonfiction with the names & places changed? :ph34r: I wouldn't rule it out. We as consumers never see the whole picture; we only get the photoshopped cutout. We could ask all the questions we want, but we’re not guaranteed to be told the truth in its entirely by forthcoming people with tied hands & closed mouths. Silence is power. Talking is trouble.

THE ENDING -- Paul is a hero! His wisdom saves the day! He gets steps ahead of everyone else & outsmarts the powerful enemies. $1 million & an apology. :D Transferring money from Gibbs to Joe Carter, a dead man -- Genius! The moment when Gibbs realizes the mistake is simply delicious.

“All three of us would soon discover that Prichard was right: The food in San Quentin stinks.” Perfect! A happy ending wouldn’t have suited the story. Paul didn’t necessarily deserve prison, but, at least, Gibbs won’t get way with his crimes, & Prichard won’t be advancing in his career. They certainly got theirs.

If you made it this far...Thank you for reading my long review!

IDENTITY belongs on my shelf of all-time favorite novels. I had a blast reading this e-novel. When it gets published in paperback, I’ll buy it, again.

Superb debut novel, Mark! Bravo! B) *Standing Ovation*

IDENTITY truly is exceptionally AWESOME!!!

Whoa! What can I say? Terrific review! You really nailed these characters. Thank you for such thoughtful feedback.

I see that you got the point on greed, eh? Yes, the idea was to grab Andy Griffith and throw him into the big bad pit of Wall Street. Paul isn't Andy Griffith--he's more savy, but you get the point. He loses a bit of himself along way, smartens up, toughens up-but, after being "corrupted" still sacrifices himself for the greater good. Why? Cause he still believes that its the right thing to do. Your point on Ellie is a good one. Yeah, I struggled that, she could've gone one or two different ways.

Very good show here--it was great fun to read what you took got out of these characters after living with them for . . . 2 or 3 years and not sharing them with anyone else. It's a weird ride to be on but readers like you, who really take it in and enjoy it, make it all worthwhile.

Mark

Whoa! What can I say? Terrific review! You really nailed these characters. Thank you for such thoughtful feedback.

I see that you got the point on greed, eh? Yes, the idea was to grab Andy Griffith and throw him into the big bad pit of Wall Street. Paul isn't Andy Griffith--he's more savy, but you get the point. He loses a bit of himself along way, smartens up, toughens up-but, after being "corrupted" still sacrifices himself for the greater good. Why? Cause he still believes that its the right thing to do. Your point on Ellie is a good one. Yeah, I struggled that, she could've gone one or two different ways.

Very good show here--it was great fun to read what you took got out of these characters after living with them for . . . 2 or 3 years and not sharing them with anyone else. It's a weird ride to be on but readers like you, who really take it in and enjoy it, make it all worthwhile.

Mark

You’re welcome, Mark! & Thank you! I appreciate your taking the time to read my review. I'm glad my interpretations were right on the money. :) The concept of an Andy Griffith (though Paul does things Andy wouldn’t…well…shouldn’t dream of) type meets Wall Street makes it all the more intriguing to read. I think the reason why I love Paul so much is because he’s surrounded by bad influences but isn’t defined by corruption.

Ellie’s your creation, so making her act & end up any way to your liking is your right. I would’ve preferred a different ending for her, but it doesn’t necessarily mean I would change yours. I’m sure you have your reasons for choosing a devastating fate for her.

Thank you for sharing this superlative story with the world, Mark! :D