RED DAWN

THE PUNISHER: DIRTY LAUNDRY

Geow, have you seen Swimming With Sharks? Great movie.

Yes, and to this day I am surprised it got made.

It's Marvel. They love to do strange things with their icons. So, I just tend to ignore it for the most part. Space Punisher is no exception. When they made him a black man. Ignored it.

You're talking bad about Final Days right there man. That was the high water mark of 90s Punisher, say bad what you will about the overall 80's-90's Frank Castle, but Final Days was freakin' awesome back in the day.

Swimming With Sharks was made because Rober Rodriguez really pushed George Huang to make it on his own.

Noeland, compleatly forgot the Punisher being turned into a black man. To be a fly on the wall during those board meetings.

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I'm not trying to talk bad or put that stuff down. I don't like it, that's all I mean. Good or bad is a relative term depending on your flavor for things. Plenty of people loved War Zone. Cool. It was not for me though.

Swimming With Sharks was made because Rober Rodriguez really pushed George Huang to make it on his own.

Noeland, compleatly forgot the Punisher being turned into a black man. To be a fly on the wall during those board meetings.

have no prob with frank being black. better than the treatment kevin smith gave him...being an avenging angel.

in the new film, the first guy frank must kill is that fat fuck

have no prob with frank being black. better than the treatment kevin smith gave him...being an avenging angel.

in the new film, the first guy frank must kill is that fat fuck

I don't think Kevin Smith had anything to do with that... I don't know who the creative team was, but I don't think Smith has ever done any Castle comics.

Well, I'm not trying to talk bad or put that stuff down. I don't like it, that's all I mean. Good or bad is a relative term depending on your flavor for things. Plenty of people loved War Zone. Cool. It was not for me though.

I'm just joshin' ya. That was my favorite story as a kid, though. That was the story where he made a Battlevan out of an Apache, when you're 13 that's literally the coolest thing anyone could have thought of.

It's still surprising that it got released. These people really don't like taking any sort of criticism at all.

I hear Joel Silver hated SWS, considering Spacey's character was based on him.

As much as I liked the 04 film, if they give Tom the chance to do it again, I really hope they go the Dirty Laundry route. No origin, just Frank, the skull and NY.

I don't think Kevin Smith had anything to do with that... I don't know who the creative team was, but I don't think Smith has ever done any Castle comics.

doh...you are right. bad memory on my part. he did an awful take on daredevil.

I hear Joel Silver hated SWS, considering Spacey's character was based on him.

As much as I liked the 04 film, if they give Tom the chance to do it again, I really hope they go the Dirty Laundry route. No origin, just Frank, the skull and NY.

Agreed. I hope they keep Ron Perlman though.

that's one short we will never see. no Punisher in Space either...

I think it would be pretty difficult to rationalize why someone with Castle's background wound up in a shuttle. I hate it when they bend shitty ideas around good characters just to push the idea.

Arright! Q&A officially over. Let's pull back on topic ;)

For anyone wanting to discuss all other things PUNISHER you can do so here at the Punisher Thread

Thanks everyone for some awesome questions. Who knows. We may do it again ;)

The book isn't closed on Dirty Laundry. You know Tom mentioned earlier that it would likely take about 4 million views for Marvel to take serious notice . . .

Well guess what. #Dirty Laundry will hit 2 Million views on Friday at some point so it's very conceivable that 4 Million views is in reach sometime in the next 10 days.

We also have some additional material we're working on in the form of behind the scenes style epk for Dirty Laundry.

You've seen just a few of the pics I clicked on set right here in this thread but we have a boatload more as well as video clips recorded while making our little love letter.

So stay tuned. Lots more to come and some cool announcements on the horizon.

Keep spreading the word, let's hit 4M views!

I think we all want to see the character back in TJ's hands, the right story, the right director, the right mood.

Now folks know we can do it.

Could be a fun ride ;)

- TB

I gotta say I am finding the racism complaints surprising, though I guess in hindsight it was to be expected. Using the terms 'animals' and 'savages' and then having a white guy violently beat a gang of black men to death, that was bound to rub people the wrong way.

Yeah, even though he's in the process of saving other friendlies of color . . . Guess that escaped the radar of the racism-soapbox crowd.

I guess we could have cast Bike Mike as an ethnic, but then we couldn't have worked with Ron. And who in their right minds WOULDN'T want to work with the Perl given the opportunity!

Surface-dwellers. All they see is the obvious and there's no reading between the lines. No actual intelligence being utilized. Usually indicative of judgmental hypocricy.

Now if any of them realized 'ol Frank was wearing a Negro League YANKS lid (as they might if they'd been monitoring ground zero here at the RAW FORUMS), they might have cause to pause on the racism judgement

- TB

Yeah, even though he's in the process of saving other friendlies of color . . . Guess that escaped the radar of the racism-soapbox crowd.

I think Frank has always been an equal opportunity ass-kicker.

I don't know, it's up to you guys to if you want to discuss it more in depth to try and sway some opinions.

Naaahh. No point in addressing it anywhere but here and I've spoke my peace.

It's never an easy job converting a cannibal and I wouldn't want the gig ;)

- tb

Well said Tim....the gang had mixed races btw. Just saying.

...So anyone who pulls the race card can lick one.

We also have some additional material we're working on in the form of behind the scenes style epk for Dirty Laundry. You've seen just a few of the pics I clicked on set right here in this thread but we have a boatload more as well as video clips recorded while making our little love letter.

Awesome. I wondered if you might do something like that, since Tom previously mentioned behind-the-scenes video of a guy having to be chased off the set!

I guess we could have cast Bike Mike as an ethnic, but then we couldn't have worked with Ron.

I suppose you could've portrayed the Mike character as a big red guy with sawed-off horns. ;)

yes I do have a favorite Punisher arc. and no i'm not telling. ;) IF we ever got the chance to work the Skull again in a Hollywood movie - i've been chewing on a story for years now... and it's a doozy.

It's been online for 5 days and you're almost at 2 million hits. That's pretty good. Maybe you could write a spec script?

I can't believe I missed out on the TJ & TB Q&A on here. :o

No matter what the content is there will always be people who like, love, or hate something. You can’t please everyone. Are you two (Tim & Tom) even reading the Youtube comments? Personally, I’ve only read the comments through the members on here.

I’d love for Marvel to wake up & get Tom for a new PUNISHER movie. But I’d also want the movie to be made in the style of #DIRTYLAUNDRY. Gritty. Exceptional. Raw. Possible? Or would a mega film studio stepping in mean a set of certain rules to follow resulting in a lack of creative vision for Frank Castle?

If a Punisher movie was to happen there are a few things Marvel would have to consider. If it's gonna be distrbuted by Disney, then it'll obviously be PG-13, but I'm probably one of the few people that think you can do a good Punisher story within the confines of PG-13.

I think LGE still retains The Punisher rights.... I'll ask around..

Nope, LGE lost the rights, they went back to Marvel/Disney - however, Marvel could sell the film rights back to another entity, Sony, Fox, LGE as everyone knows a PG13 Punisher would never fly - and Disney would want nothing to do with that property. So business-wise, Marvel can make more $$$ by auctioning the rights off. That's the best way to do it. The Punisher doesn't really fit in their universe as it is. The only character Marvel/Disney should make a play for, and they won't, is Spider-Man.

No, they're not going let any more characters slip from there hands. Also, it's my understanding that Marvel Studios works fairly indenpently from Disney, it's a lot like how Pixar works. Marvel was all ready to go forward with a TV show, the only reason it didn't happen was Fox changed their minds about it.

Also, if you get the right elements together, it totally could work in a PG-13 setting, the character was essescially PG to PG-13 for decades. And the character would fit in the Marvel cinematic universe just fine. Though Disney does own a studio or two that releases R-rated content, so that could be a viable option. Again there's no way they are going sell off the character to another company.