RED DAWN

THE PUNISHER: DIRTY LAUNDRY

So for the cover art do you get to pretty much pick and choose the books you want to work on, or is it a pretty tight market? Seems like you get less of the capes and tights and more of the ordinary characters, is that because you like certain characters, or do you kind of get sought out for the facial detail work you do?

I prefer non super-hero fare. I prefer the grit and reality of stuff like John Constantine: Hellblazer or Punisher, to the tights and capes brigade. I'm not really a superhero artist per-say. I love illustrators who can draw the Marvel way, but my game changed after I was introduced to Creepy, Eerie, EC, Heavy Metal, the French artists like Moebius, etc . . . Also, I've been into iconic movie poster art since in my teens - things like Mad Max, EFNY, really effected my overall sensibilities and transformed my superhero-loving consciousness.

The work I do is very much by choice. I get offered stuff now and again but I always gotta go with my heart and try and do things that I know I'll be truly passionate about.

That means crumpled threads, gritty, dirty streets, a shiv in the ribs, and lots of detail, baby!

- TB

I prefer non super-hero fare. I prefer the grit and reality of stuff like John Constantine: Hellblazer or Punisher, to the tights and capes brigade. I'm not really a superhero artist per-say. I love illustrators who can draw the Marvel way, but my game changed after I was introduced to Creepy, Eerie, EC, Heavy Metal, the French artists like Moebius, etc . . . Also, I've been into iconic movie poster art since in my teens - things like Mad Max, EFNY, really effected my overall sensibilities and transformed my superhero-loving consciousness.

The work I do is very much by choice. I get offered stuff now and again but I always gotta go with my heart and try and do things that I know I'll be truly passionate about.

That means crumpled threads, gritty, dirty streets, a shiv in the ribs, and lots of detail, baby!

- TB

The one choice you made I always thought was strange was the Jonah Hex cover. With your level of facial detail, that guy was MADE for you to draw, yet you kind of downplayed the face in the cover. I'd love to see a full on Jonah Hex portrait.

MMMMMM, love to do that. Are Palmiotti and Justin Gray still doing that book?

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Downtown LA. around 8th & Sante Fe ave

LA actually has some really gritty locales, if you know where to look..

LA is the world capital of gritty cinema in my house. Any other areas that you've mentally marked down as possible future locations for filming?

Though I did get to drive through part of the bronx after we all attended I-con in New York last year, and that made me smile. It was just what I pictured in my mind.

Hopefully when I hit the west coast I can see some grit in person.

MMMMMM, love to do that. Are Palmiotti and Justin Gray still doing that book?

- TB

I think it's All Star Westerns now, and if I'm not mistaken, it takes place in a Western version of Gotham. Issue 70 was the last Hex book.

In one of the SDCC interviews, Tom mentions how they got the writer, but how did you get ahold of Phil? Were there any other directors that were talked to?

Have a good one, Tom.

that's one short we will never see. no Punisher in Space either...

That right there is why you should be producing the next Punisher feature. Definitely got the right mindset.

true. but that doesn't mean people have forgotten how to write movies.

true. but lots more have forgotten how to "make" good movies, or have been stopped from doing so.

this is why your short has gone viral.

ive read through the comments on youtube. this is the type of film people want.

something that is true and thought provoking.

what they get is reboots and pablum

But they may be running out of original ideas... thats right Total Recall, I'm looking at you. And you, Robocop. And you, Ninja Turtles. And you, Batman. And you, Top Gun. And you, Highlander. So on, so on.

name branding. plenty of writers coming up with stuff that remains unproduced

Frank was about to go to the small screen, but the story they had in mind would have absolutely butchered what the Punisher is.

wasnt it going to fox? wouldnt work on network tv and i saw what they did with human target. jeh had the best character in that show, and they marginalized him.

wasnt it going to fox? wouldnt work on network tv and i saw what they did with human target. jeh had the best character in that show, and they marginalized him.

Yep, Fox was picking it up. They had Frank as a "up and coming star NY detective, who moonlights at night as The Punisher to get those who escaped justice." In other words, Dexter lite.

Don't even get me started on space punisher.

Wow... I just looked it up and it's actually real? AND they gave him a friggin' lightsaber? Unreal, man. You have to keep Frank grounded in the dirtiest kind of gritty reality or it just doesn't work. He's the guy who sticks up for people that nobody cares about. That's why people love him. He's not Batman with a billion dollars worth of gadgets. Just guns, maybe a bulletproof vest, and shitloads of balls.

Yep, Fox was picking it up. They had Frank as a "up and coming star NY detective, who moonlights at night as The Punisher to get those who escaped justice." In other words, Dexter lite.

pretty much what they did to the human target. fox hates the genre...they even went out of their way to kill the tick.

Mel Gibson's been talking to me for years about taking down the Man. His mexican prison flick? 20 million DL's off the PPV. KILLED it.

Just watched the dvd tonight. Been wondering how well it did in digital buys.

And of course, now all I can think about is a Punisher short with you running up against Mel.

Geow, have you seen Swimming With Sharks? Great movie.

I'm not really feeling the whole Punisher in space either. I might be a little more open, considering it is a mini, but after the whole Franken-Castle mess...

Guest AdminGuyX

It's Marvel. They love to do strange things with their icons. So, I just tend to ignore it for the most part. Space Punisher is no exception. When they made him a black man. Ignored it.

Wow... I just looked it up and it's actually real? AND they gave him a friggin' lightsaber? Unreal, man. You have to keep Frank grounded in the dirtiest kind of gritty reality or it just doesn't work. He's the guy who sticks up for people that nobody cares about. That's why people love him. He's not Batman with a billion dollars worth of gadgets. Just guns, maybe a bulletproof vest, and shitloads of balls.

They just don't care about making good movies anymore (for the most part - there are still a few exceptions). They'll either use name recognition or media hype to trick people into giving them a huge opening weekend. They're not into new concepts. I once wrote a comedy script about Hollywood, based on my experience with some sparkly vampires. It really pissed off every producer I showed it to. Have to admit, that in itself was quite satisfying. hehe. One thing Hollywood is not good at - making fun of itself.

bendis wrote a book on his experiences in hollywood. would make a great horror film. and no, they dont have a very good sense of humor about themselves. still trying to figure out how swimming with sharks and the player, got made