Sign in to follow this  
johnpweber

Menton3

Months back, I was running into my LCS to pick up some books (literally. One fo the girls got sick kid and it's an hour from home) and a book caught my eye. The image was so stunning, I had to pick it up. The book was called Monocyte. If you get a chance, I highly recomend it. I'm really looking forward the the oversized trade coming out in July. He also has a band called Saltillo, and I recomend checking that out too.

Monocyte_m3cover_book1.jpg

shb1_page6_001.jpg

glimpse.jpg

grod3.jpg

Cool stuff.

It's funny you mention Giger. This was one of the blurbs for Monocyte, and probably my favorite blurb of all time for any book: -”MONOCYTE is like Deadwood being sodomized by HR Giger in a cathedral, as narrated by Tom Waits.” – BEN TEMPLESMITH

I'm buying it.

If that's not a glowing recomendation, I don't know waht is.

Long story short, I fell into some money I did not have. Not a lot, but a nice chunk. Most of it went to savings (trying to save for a down payment for a house) but I used some to achive something I've always wanted to do, commission a piece of art. After months of waiting, it is finally here, and I found out that it is going to be used as a varriant cover for Memory Collectors due out October 30.

1381478_10201818653204986_1444057490_n.j

memorycollectors.jpg

Long story short, I fell into some money I did not have. Not a lot, but a nice chunk. Most of it went to savings (trying to save for a down payment for a house) but I used some to achive something I've always wanted to do, commission a piece of art. After months of waiting, it is finally here, and I found out that it is going to be used as a varriant cover for Memory Collectors due out October 30.

attachicon.gifmemorycollectors.jpg

Congrats, John!! Now, that's quite an accomplishment worth feeling proud about! :D

But I wasn't able to download those images.

That is a fantastic piece.

How does one go about commissioning art ... do you describe what you would like to be the image, etc.?

Most artists you can go to their web site and they have commission info. In this case, he did not, so I just shot him an email. I knew what his strengths were, and it was his previous art that lead me to want an original, so we worked out a price and he asked what I wanted. I gave him a vauge descirption, playing to his strengths. I spent weeks trying to figure out what to have done, I had a list of about 3 characters that I would have liked to have seen done, but in the end, I wanted something compleatly original and I also wanted to be surprised by not knowing what it was going to look like. Needless to say, I was very happy.

Ok, final picture: The painting with the comicbook. Sad to say, but this is my first time seeing an original next to the book. One of the things I noticed right away was the loss of color and detail. Really makes me want to check out one of Tim's.

1459310_10202178958692398_548657184_n.jp

Oh, I see what you mean - stunning though, to have the real thing and imagine how good all those other cover pieces really are! Mind blowing!