Thomas Jane

Raw Studios releases it's first ep with RUSTY BLADES!

we told you it was going to be a good summer.

we've been waiting to announce this until we had the record all mixed and ready to go on iTunes=

Raw Studios is getting into the music biz!

i met Rusty on a trip to New Orleans a few months back. my friend lives in the Marigny district, and if you don't know - the place is frothing with music, day and night. my friend and i were riding our bikes, and we stumbled into this crusty street musician, RUSTY BLADES. something about the guy - i just connected with his stuff. we ended up hanging out, listening to his wild stories and i bought him a beer (or three) - drinking em out of plastic cups on the sidewalk. (that's New Orleans.)

i asked him where i could buy his shit and he said nope, he'd never been in one place long enough to lay anything down.

so i told Rusty that if he ever made it out to LA to look me up.

tell the truth i forgot all about it, until a few weeks later, i got a call from the dude - sure enough he was in LA.

one thing led to the other and before i knew it, i was producing my first record - a four song ep with Rusty himself!

everybody's heard that great song walking down the blvd or in a beer soaked dive and thought, to quote Billy Joel, "Man, what are you doin' here?"

well Rusty is that guy for me. check out more info and a song or two on Tumblr here: http://xrustyxbladesx.tumblr.com/

we'll be uploading more songs on tumblr over the next couple of days.

and you can check out his stuff on iTunes right now.

(the four song ep will be on there over the next few days.)

a big thanks to Timmy B. for designing the album cover!

and DAVID MACK for the great art.

i'm talking to some vinyl companies to put out a limited release vinyl record...

and we'll see how it goes. don't know if we'll ever do another record, but

i'm real proud to present Rusty's stuff.

love to hear what you think!

we told you it was going to be a good summer.

we've been waiting to announce this until we had the record all mixed and ready to go on iTunes=

Raw Studios is getting into the music biz!

i met Rusty on a trip to New Orleans a few months back. my friend lives in the Marigny district, and if you don't know - the place is frothing with music, day and night. my friend and i were riding our bikes, and we stumbled into this crusty street musician, RUSTY BLADES. something about the guy - i just connected with his stuff. we ended up hanging out, listening to his wild stories and i bought him a beer (or three) - drinking em out of plastic cups on the sidewalk. (that's New Orleans.)

i asked him where i could buy his shit and he said nope, he'd never been in one place long enough to lay anything down.

so i told Rusty that if he ever made it out to LA to look me up.

tell the truth i forgot all about it, until a few weeks later, i got a call from the dude - sure enough he was in LA.

one thing led to the other and before i knew it, i was producing my first record - a four song ep with Rusty himself!

everybody's heard that great song walking down the blvd or in a beer soaked dive and thought, to quote Billy Joel, "Man, what are you doin' here?"

well Rusty is that guy for me. check out more info and a song or two on Tumblr here: http://xrustyxbladesx.tumblr.com/

we'll be uploading more songs on tumblr over the next couple of days.

and you can check out his stuff on iTunes right now.

(the four song ep will be on there over the next few days.)

a big thanks to Timmy B. for designing the album cover!

and DAVID MACK for the great art.

i'm talking to some vinyl companies to put out a limited release vinyl record...

He definately has talent. And I love the music especially the song Just Can't Win. Really enjoyed listening to it. And you my friend there is nothing you can't do is there. :)

Is there, somehow, a maybe-baby chance that you'll play &/or sing something too?

I've seen and heard you before. Your musical (out the window) inhibitions roused, energized & amazed... what you did really surprise me !

Plus, I know you've got that 12-string (& a couple of other gui-taars)... pretty please (with um-hmm sprinkles on top) someday ;^}

RAW in the music biz? There seriously isn’t anything you guys can’t do. ;)

The backstory of RAW’s involvement is sensational! I listened; I love Rusty’s music. I can see (hear) why you wanted to work with him.

I got to say, Rusty sounds a lot like Tom. :)

My thoughts exactly ReCoil... I thought wow, Rusty does sound a lot like Tom.

I once had seen Tom being interviewed by George Lopez way back and he asked him to play his guitar and sing.

I was quite impressed with his hidden little talent there. ;)

Tom, (I know you have said in past interviews you use to play two songs over and over again to feed yourself) I can see why you connected with Rusty... he's your style and the fact that you put your money where your mouth is... Was so admirable.

I went to iTunes to check out the other 3 songs but I have to say so far my fav is the one you have posted. Just love the acoustics and the lyrics to it... so soft and easy listening. As you get older admittedly I have to say you do get right into more of the mellow tunes.

I am gonna purchase it :)

Is there, somehow, a maybe-baby chance that you'll play &/or sing something too?

I've seen and heard you before. Your musical inhibitions roused, energized & amazed... what you did really surprise me !

Plus, I know you've got that 12-string (& a couple of other gui-taars)... pretty please (with um-hmm sprinkles on top) someday ;^}

Yeah she's right you should do something to. I also have heard you sing and I think you have a great voice. So pretty, pretty please. :)

Good stuff. Always a sucker for good ol' guitar and a singer type stuff. Not to rush it, but it would be nice to see more Rusty Blades album popping up ever couple of years. Vinyl would be cool. Makes me wish I had a turntable. I like how there are some folks out there that keep vinyl going. Good thing just never die.

people generally stick with what they know. i'm glad you can hear why i would have an affinity for this guys music. it grabs me in all the right places, and i'm so gad to hear that it grabs some of you there, too.

personally, i love to sing and play guitar, and i even like to think i've written a song or two, but as soon as i get in front of people i always bung it up. plus i just don't have the natural ear that a real musician has.

so no, my own personal music will stay just that - personal.

i think i've got enough going on without getting up in font of folks with a gee tar and saying, "now listen to this one!"

So, by putting the record out i guess you could say that i'm kind of living vicariously through Rusty Blades.

i hope he come back to LA soon.

i'd love to hear why he thinks of his first recording.

my own personal music will stay just that - personal.

So, there's still a chance..... :D

people generally stick with what they know. i'm glad you can hear why i would have an affinity for this guys music. it grabs me in all the right places, and i'm so gad to hear that it grabs some of you there, too.

personally, i love to sing and play guitar, and i even like to think i've written a song or two, but as soon as i get in front of people i always bung it up. plus i just don't have the natural ear that a real musician has.

so no, my own personal music will stay just that - personal.

i think i've got enough going on without getting up in font of folks with a gee tar and saying, "now listen to this one!"

So, by putting the record out i guess you could say that i'm kind of living vicariously through Rusty Blades.

i hope he come back to LA soon.

i'd love to hear why he thinks of his first recording.

I understand what your saying. I have a pretty good voice and my one friend wants to record me and put it on you tube but I just can't do it. I freeze up and can't sing. Stupid I know.

That Rusty Blades looks an awful lot like James Purefoy, the plot thickens....

Cool album artwork though.

The album cover looks beautiful!

I love the new tracks by Rusty Blades (interesting name). Especially love “New Valentine.” & that “Building the Wall” feels like it belongs in a Western.

Since getting too personal isn’t a preference, it must be nice to have a "musical alter ego," instead. ;)

Coolness! I love the upfront vocals and not too much "adornment" - letting the sentiments shine in their rough glory and pain and mystery. :)

Jen

I just love this. I must of listened to New Valentine a 100 times now. :rolleyes:

I'd love to do an interview with you, Tom, for music site Delusions Of Adequacy. I mean, since Rusty Blades has disappeared...otherwise it would've been cool to interview him. :)

Jen

Guest AdminGuyX

DL'd my copy through I-tunes. Nicely done all around. Good music to have on while drawing. Especially drawing a gothic western.

:)

Rusty sounds like he’s been chewed and spit out a few times but overall I enjoyed listening. Rusty sounds wise “raw” and verrry sexy. I hope he laid down a bunch of tracks before he took off, wink, wink. Did I say he sounds sexy as hell? :wub:

I'm talking to some vinyl companies to put out a limited release vinyl record...

Would love to hear it on a good vinyl press but it's very cool stuff.

Feel like I'm hearing a singing saw during "Building the Wall" - am I right? If you're helping push this guy... Muddy Roots Fest might be a good fit for him.

Someone else you should check out in the same vein is Soda Gardocki, if you haven't heard him already. Similar vein vocally. He's pretty much the reason they started the Muddy Roots Fest from what I gather. Hellova nice guy to boot.

I just bought this EP off of iTunes. Rusty Blades is very good. Very cool style. You can feel the heart of each song from the lyrics to each riff of the guitar.

I just found out about Rusty Blades from Raw Studios website while working up my article about The Punisher short that aired at SDCC.

I'm going to check out Soda Gardocki now too since lochtess said it is in the same vein. Good stuff.

I'm going to check out Soda Gardocki now too since lochtess said it is in the same vein. Good stuff.

Let me know what you think of Soda!

Let me know what you think of Soda!

He is pretty good. I just listen to a few things from him off Youtube. He is in that same vein and you can feel his music just like this Rusty Blades.

I would love to hear a full Rusty Blades album and HE WOULD SOUND AWESOME on a NEW PUNISHER FILM SOUNDTRACK STARRING T.JANE!. Just saying. :)

Just want to drop my 2 cents here on Rusty Blades, Tony Cal is spot on. This is a damned good EP, not a bad song on it folks, well worth the few bucks for the download, get the BONUS version, you get acustic versions and the bonus track "Rebecca;s Song" Outstanding music. Every song is great, my favorites are prolly 2nd Face and Rebecca's Song, but shit...they are all incredible....

Now...I want MORE!