Sign in to follow this  
SteveWilcox

Mike Mignola

Mignola is right up there for me with Tim Bradstreet as far as influences. His use of blacks and shadows is amazing. The amount of love that shows through in his work blows me away.

baltimore.jpg

This is the cover to his current book, co-written with Christopher Golden with illustrations by Mignola through-out. It's on my Christmas wish-list and from what I've seen, (while thumbing through it at the local Barnes-N-Nobel), I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys a good vampire novel.

And, of course, his Hellboy series is always a good bet on the comic rack.

hellboy.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

I could probably write a novel about how much I love his work. :)

The only artist to ever make "no shoulders" look cool and badass! hahaha. He never draws shoulders!

I remember WAY back in the day when he was doing covers and fill in issues for marvel. He did an issue of Cable, or X-factor or some such that showed a futuristic city and it just blew me away.

His ability to compose an image out of the fewest shapes possible, his line work, and the way the characters pop off a page are all influences on my own work, and pretty much pure inspiration for me.

He did a graphic novel that was inked by P.Craig Russel. It's called Ironwolf. I absolutely adore this book. It's on the stack of books I constantly re-read.

And as the years went on he proved to be one hell of a writer too.

It was getting depressing every time I logged into the forum and saw "Michael Turner dead" as the most recent topic in this section.

So, to brighten spirits I offer this Gorgeous, giant, incredible jpeg of Mignola's Baltimore cover.

Courtesy of Christopher Golden.

baltimore_big.jpg

We now return to adoring our favorite artists with blissful satisfaction.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I picked up the "Hellboy: Strange Places" graphic novel this past week and it has a handful of penciled pages, which I'd never seen before.

WOW. I was floored.

One of my top 5 favorite artists! seems to be a forgotten art, but much like you Tim, Mike does beautiful backgrounds, and the little details within the panels. You guys can capture endless awe moments per panel and cover.

Guest AdminGuyX

I'll scan in a few of my favorite mignola pieces later on. Right now I just want to bump the Stan Winston thread from the main index.

:)