Sign in to follow this  
Mike V

The Cabin in the Woods

I second this motion ;)

Thirded...deded?

One of the more entertaining movies I've seen in awhile.

Didn't get into this! Then again I'm not a Whedon or Lost fan which I think is required to really "get" this kind of movie. Just came off as so clever yet had glaring plot holes and a macguffin that was truly "are you kidding me?".

There's not much to get though, it's both a deconstruction of the genre and a love letter to it. But I guess you can say this a more of a niche film.

CABIN IN THE WOODS review:

Through great effort and apparently some really good karma, I managed to score tickets to this preview screening at WonderCon which was followed by a Q&A with Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, moderated by Geoff Boucher. And I think they made the ticket process a bit too difficult because while I was expecting a huge crowd for this, they didn’t even fill a theater with a capacity of less than 200.

I’ve been hearing about this movie for years. Unfortunately it was stuck on a shelf for a while during MGM’s bankruptcy. Sometimes that’s a bad sign because great movies seem to find a way out into the marketplace. But luckily here while not great, this is a really entertaining horror movie.

I like Joss Whedon a lot, mostly for BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and ANGEL. I never got into FIREFLY/SERENITY. At his best, he writes smart, witty, fun, emotional material. Unfortunately he is often too clever and that’s the main problem here for me. There are a number of scenes and lines of dialogue that are just too clever and should have been dialed back.

I won’t go into SPOILER territory because the movie is best discovered in a packed theater.

The opening of the movie was not what I expected and I really don’t think this was the best way to open it. I get what they’re doing, I just don’t think it works very well. Again, a little too clever.

I really did not like the actor who played the stoner in this movie. Apparently he was in Whedon’s DOLLHOUSE. The character is so well written and has so many great lines, but this actor just did not pull it off for me at all. The rest of the cast is good, and I especially loved Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford. I always love them, but they are a blast here.

The pacing for the first two thirds is all over the place. There are times when things drag and other times where it races past things. This movie could really use another editing pass. Once all hell starts breaking loose in the cabin, it hooks you for a while though.

What really makes this movie worthwhile is the third act. It is so much fun, especially if you’re a horror movie fan. The only downside is that they pack so much in here and the pacing is so fast, it’s almost hard to keep up with. There is some really questionable logic in here too, though you probably won’t have time to think about it until later. And there are moments of the worst CGI I’ve ever seen. It was Sci-Fi Channel bad, though luckily there isn’t much of it. They had so much going well here, if they couldn’t afford great CGI, I really wish they would not have included it.

While it may sound like I’m being really critical and negative about the film, there is a lot to enjoy and discover here and plenty of intended laugh out loud moments and some great horror moments. And while this is far from great, it was made by horror fans for horror fans and I would rather see this than another tired sequel or remake. There is something really special going on here, I just wish they had done another polish on the screenplay and had another go at the edit. If you like horror movies, this is a must-see.

While it may sound like I’m being really critical and negative about the film, there is a lot to enjoy and discover here and plenty of intended laugh out loud moments and some great horror moments. And while this is far from great, it was made by horror fans for horror fans and I would rather see this than another tired sequel or remake. There is something really special going on here, I just wish they had done another polish on the screenplay and had another go at the edit. If you like horror movies, this is a must-see.

i'm gonna check it out today.

What do you think Tom?

It looks interesting and Whedon is generally a sign for quality. I guess I will check it out when it comes out (in Austria) in September...