Yeah, you know what we wanted to do here was get a real organic, gritty 'period' feel, and to do that we felt like this should look like the best of the great pulp illustration of yesteryear.

Our fantasy pick for illustrating this book was Gary Gianni, but this project was simply too big for him to take on in light of his other commitments which are varied and quite prestigious.

We got Gianni stuck in our brains while seeking artists and so the bar was set very high in terms of the caliber we were reaching for.

We wanted that Joseph Clement-Coll feel with a dash of Wrightson, a hint of Gianni, a touch of Franklin Booth, with a shake or two of the Frazetta vibe, and a sprinkling of Graham Ingels thrown in to drench it all in darkness. Tall fucking order my friends.

Persistance pays off. Somehow we were lucky enough to find Sean O'Connor, and for once we found everything we wanted in an artist and he was actually available!

We lucked out that Sean is just as much a fan of this stuff as we are. He'd have to be in order to be able to capture the essence of those great illustrators.

The amazing thing is that in spite of all of that legendary talent looking over his shoulder, Sean's own stylistic identity shines through it all.

Here's another peek - This is a detail from The Lycan issue #1, page 4

page4detail.jpg

Loving it.

- TB

I just love this art work they are totally excellent. I hope we get to see more of it.

Sean O’Connor’s artistic style is downright impressive! Love the oodles of details. Breathtaking.

Pg. 1 -- The issue opens with a beauty, for sure. I feel the motion of the waves crashing, as well.

Pg. 11 -- Even the tree trunk & branches look sensational. Is that a black cat? He or she’s cute.

Interesting characters. Each one looks like they have a great story to tell.

Love what I’ve seen so far. I can’t wait to see what it looks like with color.

Looks great:)

I also like black and white comics with a little color.

Are you going to color all of it or just some of the page?

It'll be fully colored but we're talking about washes here, not the standard comic-style coloring. Grant's a painter so the wash technique is part of his fantastic repertoire!

Also, as mentioned earlier, we have an affinity for black and white so don't be surprised if we end up doing some kind of limited black and white hardcover.

Hopefully the demand will dictate ;)

- TB

It'll be fully colored but we're talking about washes here, not the standard comic-style coloring. Grant's a painter so the wash technique is part of his fantastic repertoire!

Also, as mentioned earlier, we have an affinity for black and white so don't be surprised if we end up doing some kind of limited black and white hardcover.

Hopefully the demand will dictate ;)

- TB

Don't get me wrong but I do like color but I think they look good in the black and white but that is just me. Maybe I am just weird.

We're ALL nuts about black and white. Most of the buying public feels differently though ;(

I'm down for color because it brings an extra dynamic to the storytelling, like music enhances a film, color can enhance the sequential experience.

We got the right guy so we have nothing to worry about ;)

Plus, like I said, we'll likely feel compelled to do 2 versions provided we have the $ to print two different trades ;)

Thanks - TB

I'm down with just a tiny hint of colour... I believe a hint is all it would need to distinguish.... just gorgeous -- love his work!

I'm really excited for this one (the story line really really intrigues me)... and hoping a movie is in the works not so far behind!

I so love what I have seen on this so far. It is going to be fantastic. The art work harkens back to Warren Publishing in it's glory days and just a hint of Wrightson's black and white work. I totally get the need to add color to this, and the fact that it will be the G-man who does it gives me a good feeling about it. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on this baby.

Awesome! Great to hear from you Andy!

Yep, yer gonna like this one ;)

Don't be a stranger - We have ways of stomping out minor irritants ;)

X - TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm really looking forward to seeing the colors now. :) I don't say that very often!

HOLY Shit does this Look awesome. I was bummed when things didnt work out with Liam but this looks just as good. Page 11! Goddamn! Can't wait to get a copy. I also like B&W but will have to pick up one of each from the sound of it.

Just got a look at the finished page 5 and Woooooo, daddy. This book is going to rock like a hurricane, literally ;)

Just got a look at the finished page 5 and Woooooo, daddy. This book is going to rock like a hurricane, literally ;)

Hey when do we get to take a look at page 5. I know, I know I am being a pain in the butt. ;)

Heheh, we gotta leave SOME surprised for the book. We'll see what comes in soon and show SOMETHING. -

- tb

Heheh, we gotta leave SOME surprised for the book. We'll see what comes in soon and show SOMETHING. -

- tb

Okay,Okay I guess I can wait.

Looks excellent. I really like it. ;)

Looks excellent. I really like it.

I agree; June 18, 2013 can't get here soon enough. The Lycan is in my top two most anticipated comics of the year, alongside "Lost Cat" by Jason.

Are you going to print more copies of the book?

I ain't right that I have to come home from Afghanistan to find out that the book has been released and gone out of print at the same time.

I really, really would love to see some more of this. I guess you could say I am totally hooked on the Lycan. I would love to see a movie made of it with TJ in it. To me that would be totally awsome. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

alright. the new RawStudios site is UP and we're kicking it off with a little Lycan showcase, courtesy of SEAN O'CONNOR, baby - yeah.

we love this guy. we're lucky to have found someone who is so perfectly suited to the story we're telling. in hollywoodland they call that perfect casting. now sean is no speedy gonzales. other publishers might taken a walk on sean a long time ago, but we're not other publishers. when we find someone we love, we stick.

like we said in the front office - sean's been pumping out pages for a long time with nary an eyeball to see it except the hairy eyeballs of tim & tom. so leave a little love. i'm sure sean will appreciate it. just don't offer him a sweet four-year contract and steal him from us. wait till he's done with the book, fer chrissakes.

This is the place where we'll be posting Sean's work in the weeks to come. as GRANT GOLEASH adds his gorgeous color wash, this is the place to get a first look.