Tim Bradstreet

Film Score Archive

I'v always liked the music at the end of Heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doyix3dRGb8

Yeah, that's a cool track and very reminiscent of Tangerine Dream/Vangelis type synth mood.

I had no idea it was Moby (never really been a fan) until now.

I bought the score used a long time ago because I'm a fan of Eliott Goldenthall and Lisa Gerard, but somewhere along the line it's been lost to the four winds.

Lots of other interesting music in that film as well, including tracks from Brian Eno, William Orbit, Einstürzende Neubauten, and the immortal György Ligeti.

- TB

Star Trek: III is my favorite Star Trek film and I love the score to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_SGXx3pLzs

Horner did some of his best work on the Star Trek film series. The Wrath Of Kahn and The Search For Spock are fantastic.

I'm a Goldsmith fanatic, so naturally I gravitate a bit stronger towards the score for The Motion Picture. But STII and III have to be next in line, though First Contact, Nemesis, and Insurrection, are excellent work. Also a standout in the series is Dennis McCarthy's score for Generations. I especially love the track, "The Nexus/A Christmas Hug".

- TB

Back on topic, I decided to listen to Dead Man's Shoes soundtrack. Though not technically a score (it has bits of instrumental music throughout), but it is a pretty fucking relaxing album to listen too.

I finally saw this movie last night. As much as I love film scores, I'm a sucker for folksy acustic guitars as well, so I didn't mind much. Too bad it's out of print, I was hoping to get a copy :(

I had no idea it was Moby (never really been a fan) until now.

- TB

You know on that note, my favorite sports film, Any Given Sunday had an awesome theme towards the end of the movie when Jamie Foxx was getting set to score the final touchdown..... I never knew what it was and I looked all over for it for years. Not long ago my cousin and I took a trip to Chicago to visit my bro and since it was a 5 hour drive, we kept shuffling through each others mp3 players. All of a sudden I hear the same fuckin theme and I was like "WHOAAAAAA who is this who is this whos is this? I been looking for this song forever!". So who did it it end up being? MOBY. The song was called My Weakness. You all should check it out. I never realized how talented this guy was. I never really wanted to give him the time of day. I have the scene set up for you here....

By the way if you haven't seen the movie, check it out. It has one of the best speeches by Al Pacino. It meant a lot to me being a football player a few years back. It's also the most TRUE film in terms of professional sports films... how the football players act on and off the gridiron.

-Raffi

The Dark Crystal was the first fantasy film I ever saw. Another soundtrack I need to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=argI7gPzvxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5le7wzuhczo

Get the double disc of Dark Crystal - very cool. Haven't listened to it in a while but has some memorable tracks.

Andrew

Here is a special treat for Jerry Goldsmith fans -

THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL (2 CDS)

Jerry Goldsmith

Boys_from_Brazil_Vol75.jpg

Here is a cool breakdown from Intrada producer, Douglass Fake.

Wow! 2-CD world premiere of complete Academy Award-nominated Jerry Goldsmith score for the Franklin Schaffner thriller, based on the novel by Ira Levine. Shaffner always inspired best in Goldsmith. Here he responded with global action, excitement! The original 1978 LP was a favorite of the composer. Goldsmith personally edited 35 minutes of highlights into unique 3-movement suite plus one song. Intrada now proudly presents the entire 55-minute score, mixed from magnificent condition multi-track session masters. Ferocious action cues (missing from LP) are highlights! Lengthy "The Killers Arrive" with dynamic tuba/bass trombone "Nazi" motif another previously-unreleased gem! Intrada also offers the all-important original LP, fully remixed & remastered for best audio ever! Still more bonus material: classical excerpts conducted by Goldsmith at sessions, original radio "samba" (by Arthur Morton!) heard on boy's radio in Paraguay plus pair of score alternates! Thrill to every note of Goldsmith's masterpiece in powerhouse stereo! Detailed notes by Jon Burlingame complete the package. Jerry Goldsmith conducts the National Philharmonic Orchestra. By exclusive arrangement with Licensor, Intrada Special Collection limited to 5000 copies!

Here is the track listing -

CD 1 - Complete Score

1. Main Title 1:32

2. The Killers Arrive 5:26

3. What Does He Want 3:57

4. Find It; Don’t Believe Me 4:55

5. Kill Him 1:33

6. Reuters News 0:34

7. Broken Bottles 1:56

8. We’re Home Again [Film Mix] 4:07

9. S29 1:44

10. Without Hope/Frau Doring 4:46

11. Do Yours 0:33

12. The Dam 1:41

13. Over The Top; Frieda Maloney 2:22

14. December 11th 1:23

15. The Hospital [Revised] 2:18

16. Jungle Holocaust 3:36

17. Old Photos 2:52

18. You! 1:12

19. The Right One 1:16

20. Print!; The Dark Room; End Title 6:48

CD 1 Total Time 55:40

CD 2 - Original 1978 Album

1. Suite from “The Boys From Brazil” 19:49

2. We’re Home Again [Album Mix] 3:51

3. Frau Doring 8:14

4. The Dogs & Finale 6:57

Original Album Time 39:03

Bonus Tracks [All Tracks conducted by Jerry Goldsmith]

5. Siegfried Idyll 4:24

[Excerpt] (Richard Wagner)

6. The Blue Danube 2:27

[Excerpt] (Johann Strauss II, Adapted by Arthur Morton)

7. Ismael’s Samba 2:00

[Radio Source] (Arthur Morton)

8. The Hospital (Jerry Goldsmith) 2:19 9. The Killers Arrive 5:04

[Without Percussion Overlay] (Jerry Goldsmith)

Bonus Track Time 16:26

CD 2 Total Time 55:39

I just ordered this, I have the original vinyl release but haven't been able to listen to it for years.

Christmas has just come early.

- TB

I remember reading a while back that Ratner was going to be doing a remake of The Boys from Brazil. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Just announced and available at Screen Archives for Pre-Order

The Day Of The Dolphin

Georges Delerue

dolphin.jpg

Day Of The Dolphin has always been one of my favorite films and that goes for Georges Delerue's score as well.

Long out of print, I obtained a bootleg about a decade ago and it's in regular rotation on my system, great to work to.

To me it's a must have and it's finally available!!! By the way, LOVE that cover painting, reformatted from one of the film's original theatrical posters.

I'll let Taylor White, producer over at the score's newest label, Percepto take it from here.

"From 1966 to 1971, Director Mike Nichols stormed the gates of Hollywood with a quartet of star-powered feature films that defined a generation. WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?, THE GRADUATE, CATCH-22 and CARNAL KNOWLEDGE each secured Nichols’ reputation as a respected auteur with a perceptive eye for human drama, a darling among the blossoming legion of actors of the time and critics hungry for relevant cinema.

In 1973, Nichols shifted gears with THE DAY OF THE DOLPHIN, an ambitious, big budget thriller based on the French novel by Robert Merle. Produced by Joseph E. Levine for Avco Embassy, the film starred George C. Scott as a marine biologist whose offshore efforts in teaching the English language to dolphins unravels into a plot to assassinate the President of the United States. Despite its offbeat premise, the film was a potent exercise in ‘70s Watergate-style paranoia and corporate cynicism much like THE PARALLAX VIEW and other socio-political thrillers of the era.

Written by Nichols’ longtime friend and collaborator, Buck Henry, THE DAY OF THE DOLPHIN boasted one of the finest pedigrees of any release that year, including director of photography William Fraker, production designer Richard Sylbert, editor Sam O’Steen and noted French composer, Georges Delerue (Nichols alternate choice after offering the film to Bernard Herrmann).

Though unfairly savaged by critics and ignored by audiences, the film quickly sunk from theaters, though later gained a devoted following among baby boomers through multiple TV viewings during the ‘70s and ‘80s..

Despite the poor reception, one key element of the film received unanimous accolades: Delerue’s stunningly heartfelt score, which channeled the spirit of Vivaldi through his own gentle musical voice. Delerue’s sweeping lyricism gave the film’s innocent mammals, christened Alpha and Beta, a musical heartbeat and a heartbreaking voice, intertwined with the darker sounds of intrigue and deception. The score would rightfully earn Delerue both Oscar and Golden Globe nominations.

Delerue himself produced the original LP in 1974 (later released on CD in Japan in 1991), choosing to present 30 minutes of his score out of sequence to provide an alternate musical flow. Now appearing on CD for the first time in the U.S., Percepto presents every note of Delerue’s score as it was heard in the film, newly remastered by Doug Schwartz at Mulholland Music, plus bonus tracks not heard in the film or on the previous releases.

This lavish deluxe edition also presents the most exhaustively researched notes in our label’s history by film music journalist, Daniel Schweiger, plus a wealth of full-color photos and poster art, including many never-before-published.

Percepto is proud to celebrate our 10th anniversary and 25th release with this superb masterpiece, rightfully considered one of the true crown jewels from Delerue’s prestigious career.

This release is being issued in a limited edition of 1,500 copies. - Taylor White, Percepto Producer"

Go over to the Screen Archives Day Of The Dolphin page and you can preview some tracks.

Track listing available there.

- TB

Another piece of history has just become available and I am truly excited to crow about -

George A. Romero's Knightriders

Donald Rubinstein

Knightriders_PRD028.jpg

To my knowledge this is the first ever release of this material on CD. Not even sure it was ever released on LP.

Rubinstein also scored George A Romero's Martin (1977). He also appears in the film and sings his own songs, namely the requiem, "I'd Rather Be A Wanderer" at the end. I normally do not like sound from the film itself to invade the musical tracks but here the inclusion of rolling thunder which is used to open the last scene in the film is very welcome and serves to enrich the experience. The score is as lyrical and adventurous as the film itself. I wish everyone could give a preview listen to "Blackbird" which is absolutely wonderful.

But head on over to Screen Archives' Knightriders page and preview some of the other tracks. Check out "I'd Rather Be A Wanderer" and enjoy.

For more info about the film itself, please check out the Knightriders entry in the Non-Mainstream Film thread.

I just ordered this and cannot wait to slap it in my collection. It's about fucking time! ;)

Here's a track listing -

3000 edition.

1. Black Bird (01:30)

2. Main Title (02:37)

3. Blacksmith's Melody (Orchestra) (01:32)

4. Blacksmith's Melody (Quartet) (01:50)

5. Haendel (Trio) (02:00)

6. Pronouncement (00:23)

7. Gallant (Trio) (00:48)

8. Gallant (Orchestra) (01:15)

9. Renaissance Tune (Trio) (00:58)

10. Title Suite (04:33)

11. Bravery (Quartet) (03:43)

12. Never Weather Beaten Sail (02:25)

by John Dowland

13. Foreboding (00:57)

14. Destiny (01:21)

15. Merlin's Song (00:43)

16. Redemption Party (05:24)

17. Country Ride (00:58)

18. Romantic Theme (03:20)

19. Return Of The Knights (03:18)

20. Merlin's Song (00:52)

21. Final Battle (02:04)

22. Billy's Departure (03:52)

23. Billy Goes To Town (01:22)

24. Billy's Last Ride (02:05)

25. I'd Rather Be A Wanderer (03:45)

sung by Donald Rubinstein

26. Main Title Reprise (03:20)

Total Duration: 00:56:55

- TB

this thread is incredible. i saw boys from brazil with my parents in the theater. i was like 8 or 9 years old, way too young to be watching a man being force fed his own dobermin pinchers through a rolled up newspaper. my parents would send me and my sister out of the theater during the 'adult' moments, and of course i'd watch through the cracks of the theater doors. these moments are burned in my brain forever. T

I recently had the opportunity to attend a listening party for a new movie called "Dark Streets". The soundtrack for this film is outrageous and I highly recommend it.

Original songs from:

Chaka Khan

Etta James

Richie Sambora

Natalie Cole

Dr. John

Solomon Burke

Aaron Neville

and for the first time ever contributing to an original score, Mr. B.B. King

The producers of the film will donate 50% of the film's proceeds to The Blues Initiative. It is a non-profit organization administered by The Baton Rouge Area Foundation which directly aids musicians and contributes to the revival of the cultural and music arts in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricanes' Gustav and Katrina.

The movie comes out on December 26, 2008.

Here's more information:

http://www.cinemablend.com/previews/Dark-Streets-3409.html

Guest AdminGuyX

Recently rediscovered the score for the '89 Batman. That score was so thick, and layered into the film blatantly it was practically it's own character in the movie.

I can't say I'm a huge Danny Elfman fan (he just seems to repeat himself a lot to me) but I've always liked what he did with Batman.

And while I DESPISED the rebooted Planet of The Apes, I LOVED his score for it.

the films might not be great but toto's score for dune and clint mansells smoking aces are well worth a listen

I usually find Clint Mansell's scores to always be worth a listen.

smokin aces is a nice mixture of classical piano, guitar and electronic effects. mixed together it makes a very intresting score

I usually find Clint Mansell's scores to always be worth a listen.

Can You Dig It. Love the old PWEI material. Clint used some of the Two Fingers, My Friends elements on his score for Knockaround Guys. Very cool.

regards

Andrew

Hey, Tim! Where's that Michael Wandmacher thread? I didn't see a better place to post this article, so here it is:

December 5, 2008

MICHAEL WANDMACHER SCORES 3D REMAKE OF 'MY BLOODY VALENTINE'

(Los Angeles, CA) – Composer Michael Wandmacher writes a chilling score for My Bloody Valentine 3-D. The film, from Lionsgate, is a remake of the 1981 horror film about a Valentine’s Day massacre. Tom (Jensen Ackles) returns home on the ten year anniversary of the massacre, only to find himself suspected of the murders that keep occurring. Jaime King co-stars as his old flame and the only one who believes in his innocence. The film opens in theaters January 16, score album available from Lionsgate Records on January 13.

Wandmacher has been a longtime fan of the horror and comic book genres. When asked about the score for My Bloody Valentine 3-D, he says, “The film is a rocket sled ride from start to finish. It starts on furious and accelerates to insane. The 3-D is amazing and the whole process has been an absolute blast. As for the score, it's about as big and brazen as a horror score can get. No mercy.”

Michael Wandmacher began his musical career as a commercial composer in Minneapolis. Since his move to Los Angeles in 1998, Wandmacher has lent his talent to a diverse range of projects, including feature films, TV series and videogames. His film credits include Train, Never Back Down, The Killing Floor and Cry Wolf. In addition, he scored the videogames Over the Hedge and Madagascar. Wandmacher also records, produces and remixes electronic music under the name Khursor and wrote and mixed music for Kelly Clarkson for the film From Justin to Kelly. He most recently wrote the score for Punisher: War Zone, which opens in theaters December 5.

http://scoretracknet.blogspot.com/2008/12/...-remake-of.html

Nomad

Where's that Michael Wandmacher thread? I didn't see a better place to post this article, so here it is:

It's down in the Artists We Love section.