Tim Bradstreet

Film Score Archive

James Newton Howard's score for Collateral was great in my opinion.

Just a lil tid bit for you guys out there that like trivia. Willliam Devane who plays Carter in Payback once employed my father. My father is a vietnam veteran, a navy seal sniper. He was ranked with over 35 kills and was considered a bad motha since he was sent on suicide missions and would actually come back alive. Anyway when my father got out he was assigned by William Devane to be his body guard for certain cities and states from the late 70's to the early 80's. I just thought that was cool.

JO

That's fuckin kick ass JO. I can't remember the movie Payback too much however. The thing is, I would always catch it on tv and watch bits and pieces of it. I would turn it off because I don't wanna watch a movie like that all edited and shit. I guess I gotta go buy the movie. There are sooo many great movies I've seen and sooooo many great movies I haven't seen. For example, I never saw Braveheart. I don't know why. I'm sure I would enjoy it, I just never got around to it. I also never saw any of the Lord of the Rings. I love Howard Shore's music though. It's also another series of films I know I would enjoy, but once again, I never got around to it. Same goes for Harry Potter and Pirates of the Carribean, and Shrek. Yeah I'm falling behind.

Raf

I think my favorite Morricone score would have to be Once Upon a Time in the West, my favorite track off that is "Man with the Harmonica", just fucking awesome. I also, prefer John Murphy's score for 28 Weeks Later over 28 Days Later. And another one I've been digging is Howard Shore's score for The Departed.

Also, this is not a score but the soundtrack for Dead Man's Shoes, is really wonderful in my opinion.

William Devane is so cool.

I met him briefly while I was working on Blade II in West Hollywood.

I was just coming back from lunch and as I was heading up to the office from the parking lot he gets out of a car and starts walking towards me. I recognized him immediately but didn't want to be "that guy" so when he asked me if I knew where the casting office for "About Schmidt" was, I played it real cool. I said "follow me, the office is right next to where I'm working". He says "Thanks a lot buddy." So we walk in the building and get on the elevator. As we were riding up two floors I had to suppress my need to say to him . . . "Is it safe?" - The classic line from The Marathon Man. We got to the second floor and I walked him down the hall to the casting office. He says "Thanks pal, I really appreciate it." I said, "No problem Mr. Devane."

He stopped, looked back around at me as he was entering the office and gave me a wink.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Alexander Payne (Citizen Ruth, Sideways) was hanging out right next door to us doing preproduction for About Schmidt.

What an extremely nice fella. He'd poke his head in every once in a while and look at the artwork we had up on the walls.

We had no idea what About Schmidt was, so when it came out I was like, "uh, holy shit, I KNOW the guy that directed this!"

Then came Sideways. He totally deserves his success. Very down to earth and affable guy.

- TB

Dead Man's Shoes is a GEM.

Rent it, see it.

Paddy Considine scored major points with me on that.

A big thanks to Chris Weston who turned me on to it.

Never seen a soundtrack for it.

Now I gotta go looking.

- TB

Dead Man's Shoes is a GEM.

Rent it, see it.

Paddy Considine scored major points with me on that.

A big thanks to Chris Weston who turned me on to it.

Never seen a soundtrack for it.

Now I gotta go looking.

- TB

I love Dead Man's Shoes, I still have yet to see This is England though, which I've been hearing nothing but good things for.

As for the soundtrack, I don't think it was ever released in the U.S., but you could get from Amazon.co.uk.

I think my favorite Morricone score would have to be Once Upon a Time in the West, my favorite track off that is "Man with the Harmonica", just fucking awesome. I also, prefer John Murphy's score for 28 Weeks Later over 28 Days Later. And another one I've been digging is Howard Shore's score for The Departed.

Morricone, where do you even start?

I do highly recommend two wonderful CDs if anyone wants a nice compilation of variety, to get an idea of the scope of his musical prowess.

Ennio Morricone, Film Music Vol 1 and 2 -

http://www.amazon.com/Ennio-Morricone-Film...0728&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-Vol-Ennio...pd_bxgy_m_img_b

You can buy them new from Amazon for $16, - that gets you BOTH cd's.

Or you can buy them used for cheaper.

51RWKPPBQYL_SS500_.jpg

41ZW55JKATL_SS500_.jpg

I've had both these CDs since the early 90's and they have gotten an ASSLOAD of mileage.

I'm surprised they still actually play when I slip them in my player.

Volume 1 has some classic stuff, a few of the main standbys - The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly - A remixed version of "On Earth As It Is In Heaven" from The Mission - Once Upon A Time In The West, but it also has a nice variety of his other great works, many of which are off most people's radar. GREAT cues like -The Sicilian Clan - Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion - Battle Of Algiers, and Sacco And Vanzetti.

Volume 2 boasts another mix of well known and obscure masterpieces.

Of the well known there is - Once Upon A Time In America (Cockey's Song) - Gabriel's Oboe (from The Mission) - The Man With The Harmonica - and My Name Is Nobody

The obscure stuff is a treasure, stuff like the title track from Duck You Sucker! (known to most of us stateside as A Fistful Of Dynamite) - Buona Fortuna, Jack - Le Marginal - and Baci Dopo Il Tramonto.

My personal favorite off of both is a track called Moses' Theme. Music I might never have discovered had it not been for these wonderful collections.

Incredible stuff my friends.

- TB

William Devane is so cool.

I met him briefly while I was working on Blade II in West Hollywood.

I was just coming back from lunch and as I was heading up to the office from the parking lot he gets out of a car and starts walking towards me. I recognized him immediately but didn't want to be "that guy" so when he asked me if I knew where the casting office for "About Schmidt" was, I played it real cool. I said "follow me, the office is right next to where I'm working". He says "Thanks a lot buddy." So we walk in the building and get on the elevator. As we were riding up two floors I had to suppress my need to say to him . . . "Is it safe?" - The classic line from The Marathon Man. We got to the second floor and I walked him down the hall to the casting office. He says "Thanks pal, I really appreciate it." I said, "No problem Mr. Devane."

He stopped, looked back around at me as he was entering the office and gave me a wink.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Alexander Payne (Citizen Ruth, Sideways) was hanging out right next door to us doing preproduction for About Schmidt.

What an extremely nice fella. He'd poke his head in every once in a while and look at the artwork we had up on the walls.

We had no idea what About Schmidt was, so when it came out I was like, "uh, holy shit, I KNOW the guy that directed this!"

Then came Sideways. He totally deserves his success. Very down to earth and affable guy.

- TB

Very cool Tim. My Father always has the nicest things to say about him.

JO

James Newton Howard's score for Collateral was great in my opinion.

Yeah I really liked it. Had a cool vibe to it. It's very, what's the word um seductive and addictive. It draws you in and wraps around you. Very cool score.

I also like the stuff that Mogwai did on the Miami Vice Soundtrack. It was very unique and complex yet at the same time very low key and simple.

Michael Mann always has good music to go with his films, just look at Heat and Last Of The Mohicans.

JO

Also, this is not a score but the soundtrack for Dead Man's Shoes, is really wonderful in my opinion.

28 Weeks Later has a good score to it. I need to get it.

The Departed is great. I've always liked Howard Shore's stuff and he never lets me down when it comes to scores. Some of my favorites by him are Videodrome, The Fly, Crash is very cool and Scanners which is very hard to find. But The Departed is very cool.

I need to get Morricone in mass quantities. I've wanted his scores to the old westerns for a long time.

JO

You're right, JO. That one is beautiful. I have the movie but not the score. That one's been on my wish list for a while. I'm hoping after the New Year to start adding to my collection again. (Kinda had to put it on hold for a while because of the holidays) But that one is at the top of my list.

Mediumfan

Yes. I payed a pretty penny for it but got it cheap compared to most cost. I got it for a bargain. I'm sure you'll find one. The hard one to get is The Pledge. That's almost impossible.

JO

I'm loving Jonny Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood. It stinks his isn't eligible for the Oscars, some really good stuff.

I'm loving Jonny Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood. It stinks his isn't eligible for the Oscars, some really good stuff.

Yep. I've got that score also. Very good piece of music. Lovely. Heartbreaking. Moody and subtle. I wish it was eligible. Another good score is Nick Cave's score to Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford. Great score.

JO

Just picked up Brian Tyler's wonderful score for RAMBO.

It's a fantastic homage to the late, great Jerry Goldsmith who scored the original 3 Rambo films.

The classic themes are present and the original music composed by Tyler is absolutely delicious!

He deftly handles variations on the original themes while composing a richly textured action score that is emotional and powerful.

I'm listening to it as we speak and I have chills going up and down my spine.

I miss Goldsmith so much, but this film got the next best thing when it came to filling his very large and imposing shoes.

5 out of 5 stars.

Rambo_20014.jpg

- TB

Just picked up Brian Tyler's wonderful score for RAMBO.

It's a wonderful homage to the late, great Jerry Goldsmith who scored the original 3 Rambo films.

The classic themes are present and the original music composed by Tyler is absolutely delicious!

He deftly handles variations on the original themes while composing a richly textured action score that is emotional and powerful.

I'm listening to it as we speak and I have chills going up and down my spine.

I miss Goldsmith so much, but this film got the next best thing when it came to filling his very large and imposing shoes.

5 out of 5 stars.

Rambo_20014.jpg

- TB

Damn Tim, I didn't even know the score was out yet. I'll have to grab that off you. I've just picked up the scores for The Mist and Mysterious Skin. Both great scores that have a very moody sense to them that leaves you a bit shaken up.

JO

Another recent film score that I do not want to get lost in the shuffle is the perhaps under appreciated James Newton Howard score for I Am Legend.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who hardly noticed the presence of a score in the context of the film. As the credits rolled I was stunned to learn that one of my favorite composers had done the music! I kept thinking to myself, "How did I miss it?"

Here is a review on Tracksounds.com by Christopher Coleman that I very largely agree with. Check it here ------> http://www.tracksounds.com/reviews/i_am_le...wton_howard.htm

Howard has evolved over the last few years into an immense talent. I own more than a few of his older works such as The Fugitive, and Flatliners, and that stuff is pretty good. But the work he's created in the last 10 years has truly been remarkable, especially his collaborations with M. Night Shyamalan. 2005's Batman Begins was also stellar (in spite of what a lot of people think). Teaming with Hans Zimmer was a bizarre idea on paper but the collaboration was nothing less than harmonious and spectacular.

Howard's I Am Legend is a wonderful little gem, and taken on it's own without the accompaniment of the film it stands tall. It's powerful and emotional. It's one of my favorite recent scores and is in heavy rotation on my Itunes player. Perhaps my favorite track is "Sam's Gone", a heartwrenching and quiet piece that will tear at your soul. This score is definitely one to add to your collection. 5 out of 5 stars.

I_am_legend_6878.jpg

My top five Howard score for those that are looking to get turned on to something AWESOME -

1. I Am Legend

2. The Village (Expanded)

3. Lady In The Water

4. Signs - A wonderful homage to the genius of Bernard Herrmann!

5. Waterworld (YES, Waterworld!)

And let's toss Batman Begins into that as well.

- TB

Another score of James Newton Howard that I've become fond of is Collateral. The requiem by Howard and Antonio Pinto is excellent to me. Short but still tip fuckin top.

http://www.amazon.com/Collateral-Various-A...s/dp/B0002LJUCG

-It's number 16. The only reason I have the soundtrack is because of that piece.

Batman Begins is more Hans Zimmer and featuring Howard though isn't it? Still another good one.

Also, not a movie score but a soundtrack if you will, I just purchased The Best of Miami Vice. You gotta love Crockett's theme by Jan Hammer!

-Raffi

The I Am Legend score was so subtle, I barely noticed it too. I'm listening to the samples on iTunes, it really does seem like some great stuff. The only thing I really remember music wise from I Am Legend was the use of Bob Marley.

Pardon me guys, I didn't realize that I had mentioned Howard's score for Collateral before lol.

Fellow RAW brethren,

I'm hoping one of you can help me identify the source of the score in the following clip...

I'm pretty sure its from a film and most probably a film from FOX.

Appreciate the assistance,

-TL

Fellow RAW brethren,

I'm hoping one of you can help me identify the source of the score in the following clip...

I'm pretty sure its from a film and most probably a film from FOX.

Appreciate the assistance,

-TL

Sounds strangely familiar. I'll have to think long and hard about it.

JO

I love the score from Beetle Juice, Twin Peaks, Legend, Halloween....hmmm....I guess I have more soundtracks than scores though- The Devil's Rejects, Lost Highway, High Fidelity, Boogie Nights, Grosse Pointe Blank, Kill Bill Vol1, Maximum Overdrive, Velvet Goldmine and 50 First Dates.