Tim Bradstreet

Film Score Archive

Raffi, I didn't expect the score to a game to be so dead-on. Specially Punisher. That whole fuckin game is just well put together. Those operatic themes plus the darker more subtle ones make up a great in-game experience. Thanks for the info on Sonic Fuel. The only other game that impressed me with its score is Bully. I bought the cd and its really fun to listen to. Reminds me of the Dead Zone.

Worst Vangelis score - Francesco, the Mickey Rourke movie directed by Liliana Cavani.

-TL

TL, the one think that broke my heart was that on Sonic Fuel's website, they were gonna release a Punisher game score, they even had a cd cover for it but it was never released. MAN! To me, it's the perfect Punisher score. I never played Bully before. I usually play Madden, X-Men Legends, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, or Metal Gear. I don't have many games. I prefer the older, vintage systems from NES to Sega. My mother works at Kroger (formerly a Farmer Jack) and when the place was closing down, everything went on sale. She got a few DVDs for like a dollar a piece. One of them was Francesco. I still haven't seen it yet. Never even took it out of the wrapper as a matter of fact. It just looks stupid to me from the cover's point of view. Should I watch it?

-Raf

TL, the one think that broke my heart was that on Sonic Fuel's website, they were gonna release a Punisher game score, they even had a cd cover for it but it was never released. MAN! To me, it's the perfect Punisher score. I never played Bully before. I usually play Madden, X-Men Legends, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, or Metal Gear. I don't have many games. I prefer the older, vintage systems from NES to Sega. My mother works at Kroger (formerly a Farmer Jack) and when the place was closing down, everything went on sale. She got a few DVDs for like a dollar a piece. One of them was Francesco. I still haven't seen it yet. Never even took it out of the wrapper as a matter of fact. It just looks stupid to me from the cover's point of view. Should I watch it?

-Raf

Watch it man. It's a good film just a shitty score.

JO

Francesco IS a good film, but NOT one of Mickey's best. Its a full screen cut to make matters worse. I say you watch it for the sake of Mickey, but beware many scenes of famine and torture.

The Punisher deserved a score cd. I would buy it.

-TL

Okay gentleman I shall watch it.

I'm not sure what you'd call it. A score/soundtrack I guess but Queen did some pretty interesting things with Highlander. Alot of those tracks set the tone for the film overall.

JO

You can't forget their work on the Flash Gordon soundtrack either, "The Hero" is a great song.

The Crow really suprised me. The film was great and it had a great score and soundtrack. Sad that it was Brandon Lee's last film & I still suspect foul play. But the score is great.

All the sequels were pure bullshit.

I dig Graeme Revell's score. Haven't listened to it in a long time though.

Tim, did you ever read Rob Zombie's script for The Crow:2037? I thought if another film for The Crow should have been made, it should have been it. Especially since Christopher Lee was goin' to be involved as the villian.

Nope, never read it. I do remember thinking at the time (this was like 7 years ago) I didn't have much faith in Zombie directing and I thought the idea was silly. Just seemed overly gimmicky. Maybe I was wrong ;)

I think Rob did the right thing by playing to his strengths first as a director which I think is definitely leading him somewhere. Who knows, it's possible he would still do a Crow movie. At some point Pressman will go back to the well and try to reignite the franchise. By then Zombie will be further down the road to being a serious director to be reckoned with.

He's off to a damn good start. I love the idea of Christopher Lee.

Shadow Of The Vampire by Daniel I. Jones is a great score. I loved the film as well. Willem Dafoe is the main and I love the myth that Max Schreck was in fact a vampire.

Don't have that and do not remember it. I was working on Blade back when it came out and remember going home for Thanksgiving one weekend. When I got back to the production Guillermo told me that he'd screened the film for Mignola and our pal TyRubin. I was jealous until he said it sucked, that it was disappointing. I rented it when it came out on vid and had to agree with the review to a point. Certainly wasn't the film everyone was expecting. DaFoe was brilliant though. Really can't remember the score at all.

Videodrome has one hellova score. It's creepy, raw, new yet it was made back in the early 80's.

Yep, Cronenberg and Howard Shore, a team that just gets better every time. Wish I had that score. It's on my wishlist.

I'm not sure what you'd call it. A score/soundtrack I guess but Queen did some pretty interesting things with Highlander. Alot of those tracks set the tone for the film overall.

Queen's "A Kind Of Magic" is classic. No, it's not a score. The score is by Michael Kamen, and it's awesome. Definitely this would be considered a soundtrack. The fact that the soundtrack is all by the same band makes it truly special. No other group at the time could have pulled off what Queen did. The period and the themes were all in Queen's wheelhouse though. A lot of their early work was wrapped in the fantasy genre. "Queen II" is a perfect example. Keeping the rights and releasing all of that music on a Queen album was a nifty and clever bit of business. They proved yet again that they could write and perform their brand of music and adapt it to the narrative of a film without overpowering it, which is a rarity. The work they did for "Flash Gordon" was a bit of a different animal, in that the music they created for that was a little of both, music themes and some score. Rounding that out was additional score ques by Howard Blake, who incidentally composed one of my favorite film scores, Ridley Scott's "The Duelists".

Tim, what do you think of the Zombi (Dawn of the Dead) score/soundtrack by Goblin? They also did Suspiria. Their music always kind of creeps me out.

Goblin is to Argento as Williams is to Spielberg, as Morricone is to Leone, as Shore is to Cronenberg, as Herrmann was to Hitchcock. You simply cannot have one without the other.

Tim, I wrote to the man at the customer service of the site. He says the Tom Hiel Soundtrack to Swimming With Sharks is actually the score so that would be the one I'm speaking of. Good deal.

Cheers.

JO

I was surprised to hear you're not a Kristofferson fan.

Wha? Where did you get a crazy idea like that?

I live with a woman who was brought up listening to "Jesus Was A Capricorn", a woman who reveres everything about one of our great 20th Century American poets. I myself am a HUGE fan of Kristofferson. Back about 2002 I was in Austin doing a convention, ran into Tito Larriva of "Tito And Tarantula" at my hotel one night. He wanted me to come out to their show on Sunday at Stubb's. I said buddy, I'm already fucking there seeing Kris Kristofferson! The rest of my artist pals (Wrightson, Stout, Schultz, Gianni among them) left Sunday after the convention but I was staying until Tuesday because Del Toro lived in Austin at the time and we had a date to hang on Monday. I knew that Sunday night I'd have nothing to do so when I got into town I picked up a Chronicle and saw Kristofferson was playing. I already had my tickets when I ran into Tito. So I'm like what the fuck? How are you guys playing at Stubbs the same night as Kris? Tito says "the Kristofferson show is over at 10, he's playing outside in the amplitheater . . . We play after Kris, inside in the bar."

Fuck yeah.

So I go watch Kris in a late October downpour. I shook off the elements by drinking. Kristofferson comes out on stage in a Tshirt with the sleeves cut off that says "Free Peltier". Fucking cool. That show was outta hand. Tried to get his autograph for my wife but he vamoosed directly. So then I go inside for Tito And Tarantula. I'm hanging out in the bar waiting for the show and Tito's brother Pollo comes out, sees me, and invites me backstage. So I head back, walk through the door and who is sitting on the couch tuning his guitar? Robert Rodriguez. We passed around the goodies, I passed out a couple copies of my artbook which I had stashed under my coat and I got to party with Tito, the band, and Rodriguez.

Robert drew a cool picture in my sketchbook too! They tore the house down with Rodriguez playing with them on many tunes. If I remember right, he was playing a black Gibson. The guys from the band Biohazard were in the crowd as well and tried to solicit my services as a security guy for them after I helped one of the band members out of a barfight.

Fucking surreal night in Austin Texas let me tell you. After the show I hung out and then went to breakfast with Tito, Robert, Pollo and a few of their long time fans and family. Cabbed it back to my hotel around 5:30 in the morning.

Anyway, that's my Kris Kristofferson tale.

Did you know we came about a ball hair from casting him as the Sheriff in Dark Country?

Had it not been for a scheduling conflict he'd have been in our film.

But the Gods were smiling on us anyway cause we got Ron Fucking Perlman.

- TB

Cool fucking tale. I'm trying to remember where I heard (or read) somethin about you and Kristofferson, but its good to hear you dig the guy. Perlman's great, but I'd be in a huge dilemma if I had to choose from either one. So, was he unable to do Dark Country cause of touring or is he doin another movie? Cimino talks great things about his acting skills and his music in the commentary to a movie who's name I can't pinpoint right now.

-TL

From the Western Movies thread in the Comics and Film forum:

Posted by: Tim Bradstreet Oct 11 2007, 08:16 AM

Now I'm glad Kristofferson couldn't do Dark Country.

To the everlasting chagrin of my wife who's family worships him like a God.

She grew up with "Jesus Was A Capricorn" forever gracing the turntable.

I would have loved to have had Kris. I think where his songwriting is concerned he's one of the great American poets.

I saw him in Austin a few years ago and he comes out on stage in a driving rain wearing a T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off that reads "Free Peltier".

He's just fucking cool.

Don't always love is choices as an actor, but I got no real beef. I dig 'im

Now how's this for being vague?

Since KK is out of Dark Country, the studio is now actively courting a guy I suggested for the role.

He's got legit indie film cred already and as serendipity would have it, is also a singer of the country persuasion.

He's not signed yet so this may not happen.

But see if you can guess who I'm referring to.

Sorry for getting off topic on this so soon IRISH!

I'll attempt to manage this not getting out of control. And if it does I will move it.

- TB

PS - I love that you started this thread with your least favorite western!

There you go Street,

-TL

Yep, and I didn't get details on why KK didn't sign on other than "scheduling conflict".

The other guy I mention in the post below was Dwight Yoakum, just as someone else suspected.

Dwight loved the script but he's cutting an album and just couldn't break away to do the thing.

Tom talked to him for an hour on the phone one night while we were outside spitballing ideas.

We may not have landed him for DC but Tom's got him on the hook for something else which we all hope and pray, pans out.

Now back to Film Score Archive!

- TB

Alright Tim, I know you've got to love these.

-The Wicker Man by Paul Giovanni - The movie is a kick ass horror film with barely any blood or gore. It's done right and has one fine Britt Ekland. Who wouldn't fall to her and espeically to such a lovely song.

-Creepshow by John Harrison - I talked to TL about this score but wanted to hear some feedback from you. What did you think of this masterpiece?

-Fight Club by The Dust Brothers - Many don't like this score. I myself think it's very different and fits the mood of the film. Very synthetic and compliments

the words that Ed Norton speaks about everything being packaged or unreal.

-Stay by Asche & Spencer - I told you this was a good film but I still don't know if you've seen it. If you have you'd know what I'm talking about when it comes to this beautiful score.

-Dirty Harry by Lalo Schifrin - I know you like the Bullitt theme like myself but I've always been a sucker for this cool but crazed score.

-The Amityville Horror by Lalo Schifrin - Fits the film well I think and has alot of subtle yet creepy tones.

-Cool Hand Luke by Lalo Schifrin - Great film with the brilliant Paul Newman. I love the film and have come to love the score as well.

-Insomnia by David Julyan - Have you heard this score. It really creeped me out when watching the film but if you listen to this when pullin' an all nighter it makes you a bit paranoid.

-Requiem for a Dream by Clint Mansell & The Kronos Quartet - The score is really weird in alot of ways but has been copied by many after it's release.

-The Fountain by Clint Mansell - I believe that one of the tracks was in fact used in the trailer for The Mist.

-28 Days Later by John Murphy - Many use this now but before they did when it first came out it was one interesting score.

JO

Yep, and I didn't get details on why KK didn't sign on other than "scheduling conflict".

The other guy I mention in the post below was Dwight Yoakum, just as someone else suspected.

Dwight loved the script but he's cutting an album and just couldn't break away to do the thing.

Tom talked to him for an hour on the phone one night while we were outside spitballing ideas.

We may not have landed him for DC but Tom's got him on the hook for something else which we all hope and pray, pans out.

Now back to Film Score Archive!

- TB

Dwight Yoakum's a cool cat. He was hilarious in Crank and a real asshole in Sling Blade.

JO

In Red

Alright Tim, I know you've got to love these.

-The Wicker Man by Paul Giovanni - The movie is a kick ass horror film with barely any blood or gore. It's done right and has one fine Britt Ekland. Who wouldn't fall to her and espeically to such a lovely song.

Love this one and it ain't for everyone. The only way to access this score as a fan is to first be a fan of the original HAMMER film, as I see that you are. I was so glad to get my hands on this that I almost wept ;)

-Creepshow by John Harrison - I talked to TL about this score but wanted to hear some feedback from you. What did you think of this masterpiece?

Don't have this and would love to get a listen. Maybe it's about time we did some sharing. Looks like you have some real good taste in film music and I definitely have some gaps in my collection.

-Fight Club by The Dust Brothers - Many don't like this score. I myself think it's very different and fits the mood of the film. Very synthetic and compliments the words that Ed Norton speaks about everything being packaged or unreal.

Never picked this up for one reason or another. Not sure why.

-Stay by Asche & Spencer - I told you this was a good film but I still don't know if you've seen it. If you have you'd know what I'm talking about when it comes to this beautiful score.

Another film I haven't seen and score I haven't heard. Sounds intriguing.

-Dirty Harry by Lalo Schifrin - I know you like the Bullitt theme like myself but I've always been a sucker for this cool but crazed score.

Great score. Not my favorite Schifrin, but in the top 5 to be sure. I also recommend, "Enter The Dragon", "THX 1138" (my favorite), "The Hellstrom Chronicle" (not your average Schifrin score), "The Cincinatti Kid", and "The Eagle Has Landed" - for a nice mix of across the board Schifrin stylings.

-The Amityville Horror by Lalo Schifrin - Fits the film well I think and has alot of subtle yet creepy tones.

Ack! Don't have this!

-Cool Hand Luke by Lalo Schifrin - Great film with the brilliant Paul Newman. I love the film and have come to love the score as well.

The score is dynamite!

-Insomnia by David Julyan - Have you heard this score. It really creeped me out when watching the film but if you listen to this when pullin' an all nighter it makes you a bit paranoid.

Julyan's score is fantastic, but I really love "Biosphere's" score to the original Norwegian film starring Stellan Skarsgaard.

I made my own cover graphic in Itunes for this, a little hobby of mine. Sometimes the actual album art leaves something to desire so I employ my own design powers to right the wrong ;)

-Requiem for a Dream by Clint Mansell & The Kronos Quartet - The score is really weird in alot of ways but has been copied by many after it's release.

Mansell is genius. I'm a huge fan. Loved both Requiem and "The Fountain". Loved Danny Boyle's use of the cue "Lux Aeterna" from Requiem, in the "Sunshine" trailer. The Kronos Quartet are amazing. Ever hear their "Dracula (1931)" score? They teamed with composer Phillip Glass and performed a complete score to the classic film which had no pre-existing soundtrack. http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Glass-Dracula/dp/B00000JZCI

-The Fountain by Clint Mansell - I believe that one of the tracks was in fact used in the trailer for The Mist.

I want to say you are right.

-28 Days Later by John Murphy - Many use this now but before they did when it first came out it was one interesting score.

Interesting to be sure. I haven't totally gotten into it yet. Sometimes it takes time to be able to access certain kinds of music. I dig it out every once in a while and try to let it burn into me.

- TB

JO

My recommendation today is a one of a kind score that will always be in my top 10 favorites.

Cliff Martinez's 2002 score to "Solaris", Steven Soderbergh's much overlooked, unfairly panned remake of the 1972 Andrei Tarkovsky original, "Solyaris"

solaris.jpg

I can't rave about this music enough. I find it unfortunate though that the score it seems is very rare now.

Out of print but available. You might even get lucky and run across it in a used CD store. Right now sellers on Amazon are asking $40.00 for it. Too rich for your blood? I've also seen them going for as high as between $50 and $100. It's only going to get more expensive and it will likely be a long time before someone does a new edition. Strike now or regret.

I can tell you it's worth the $40.00

I ran across this review of Solaris and it says what I would take way to long to write so I quote - Rhett Redelings "R-Three music | r3music.com

If silence is golden..., July 28, 2004

By Rhett Redelings

The score for Solaris approaches silence in that it never hits you over the head with a theme or catchy melody, but instead washes over and around you like a fragrance or a mood. It somehow manages to be lush and delicate at the same time. In the context of the film, it perfectly conveys the emotional thread, like cinematography for the heart. Others have said it's like another character, and I'd have to agree.

By itself, this score is exquisite. I tried going to sleep to it and found that it kept me up, made me want to cry and then laugh a little and cry a bit more. It made me want to tell my family how much I cherish them, it made me want to wake to a beautiful new day and it made me want to stay in and say nothing for hours on end. It made me want to slow down just enough to cherish the breath in my lungs and the slight breeze moving across my skin.

It fills all of the space in a room while still making it feel spacious. If silence is golden, this score is quite nearly that.

Solaris is truly one of the great scores of the past decade. Time for you to discover it.

- TB

GREAT NEWS -

Solaris is available on Itunes for the rediculously low price of $9.99!

Now you folks have NO excuse not to sample, then feel compelled to purchase this amazing score.

- TB

GREAT NEWS -

Solaris is available on Itunes for the rediculously low price of $9.99!

Now you folks have NO excuse not to sample, then feel compelled to purchase this amazing score.

- TB

Sounds good Tim. When I first saw the film I couldn't wrap my head around it as a whole. I watched it again though just to hear the score and the film is growing on me like some disease. I'll check into the score.

Definitely. We should definitely do some sharing. I would love to have alot of what you do. I've got quite abit but my collection is nowhere near complete. I'd love to help you out in anyway I can. ;)

If you love Mansell's work and you dug the Insomnia score you'll love Stay. As far as the film goes, it's fuckin' freaky. I haven't seen anything like it since Jacob's Ladder and even that can't compare visually as to what the fuck is goin' on in the film. The ending is pure genius about like Guinness beer. :rolleyes:;)

Holy shit! That Dracula score is fuckin' amazing. Man, I've gotta have it. Thanks for the heads up Tim.

JO

Ok Tim, time for some more show & tell:

-Hellraiser by Christopher Young - Clive Barker is one sick guy. This score goes well with the film which has always had a special place in my heart.

- Narc by Cliff Martinez - Narc was one hellova film. Jason Patric was excellent in this as well as Liotta. This score reminds me alot of that of the score for the other Patric film "Rush."

-East of Eden/Rebel Without a Cause by Leonard Rosenman (Composer), John Adams (Conductor), London Sinfonietta (Orchestra) - I'm a huge James Dean fan. Who isn't, right? East Of Eden is my all time favorite film. I love it. I loved the score too. Here you get both the classic scores of East Of Eden & Rebel on one disce for under 15 bucks. Good deal.

-A Nightmare On Elm Street by Charles Bernstein - Old Wes Craven films always have good scores. This is no exception.

-PHANTASM by Fred Myrow & Malcolm Seagrave - Phantasm was a weird movie. The Tall Man will forever be etched into my nightmares. The score is a different story. It always rubbed me the wrong way. That's what I love about it.

-Prophecy by David Williams - Chris Walken kicked ass in this film. The score is has a sinful feel to it. It feels like an epic.

-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Jack Nitzsche - It's Jack Nitzsche scoring a Jack Nicholson film. It's gold.

-Indian Runner by Jack Nitzsche - The first film directed by Sean Penn. The score has a sad and hurt feel to it. It breaks you down.

-The Exorcist by Jack Nitzsche - The film is scary as hell. The score is no different.

-The Pledge by Hans Zimmer & Klaus Badelt - This score is one that I rarely listen to. Not because it's bad but quite the opposite. This score is hard to listen to because many of the songs just flat out fuck you up. The ending title song is enough to make you break down and scream.

-Twin Peaks by Angelo Badalamenti - I loved this show. It was a classic. I'm still pissed it went off the air. I was introduced to the very beautiful Sherilyn Fenn & the music of Badalamenti. The music drags at times but soon picks back up like a whirlwind leaving you in the dust.

-The Way Of The Gun by Joe Kraemer - Reminds me of Butch & Sundance. This score is quite good. It has a dirty, raw feel to it. It is mysterious and sinful. I love this score. It's like the old west.

-The Usual Suspects by John Ottman - The score is as much of a mystery as the film. They go hand and hand.

-Halloween by John Carpenter - One of my all time favorite scores. It never gets old. Classic.

-Escape From New York by John Carpenter - "Call me Snake" has to be one of the coolest lines of all time. The score has to be one of the coolest of all time also. It has alot in it. Nothing is alike. It's great.

-The Thing by Ennio Morricone - I get pissed everytime I think about this score. I got it when I was 5 years old. It was my favorite. Then it was stolen. Fuckin' stolen man. Haven't been able another. I miss this thing so damn much. No wonder I'm so pissed.

-Saw by Charlie Clouser - I'm likely alone when I say I like these films. No I don't like torture even though alot of the things shown in these films are creative. And yes I'd be lying if I said I don't have a crush on Shawnee Smith because I have had one since I saw her in "I Saw What You Did." The score is very mechanical. It has a dirty feel to it like motor oil and is very grainy. But it still stands on it's own. Great score.

JO

Indian Runner by Jack Nitzsche - The first film directed by Sean Penn. The score has a sad and hurt feel to it. It breaks you down.

You're right, JO. That one is beautiful. I have the movie but not the score. That one's been on my wish list for a while. I'm hoping after the New Year to start adding to my collection again. (Kinda had to put it on hold for a while because of the holidays) But that one is at the top of my list.

Mediumfan

Tim if you like Enter the Dragon from Lalo Schifrin, I assume you like Bruce Lee films. Try Game of Death by John Barry. I swear if Bruce hadn't died, Game of Death would have been his best film.

~Raf

Hmmm, haven't heard that Barry score, and it's been YEARS since I watched "Game Of Death".

Interested to hear Stambler's score for the Payback Director's Cut.

Too lazy to go search right now . . . Is that Director's cut still available on DVD?

Also interested in hearing James Newton Howard's score for "I Am Legend".

Weird how I don't remember the score at all from last night's viewing of the film.

I want to go buy it right now because I'm a huge JNH fan.

Unfortunately, it won't be released until January 15th.

- TB

Gotcha, thanks TL.

I have a friend who has the older version so it'll be easy for me to compare them.

Why I never bothered to pick it up is BEYOND me.

Jane digs that movie too, though I'm not sure which version he has.

- TB