Tim Bradstreet

Film Score Archive

I think Shore is the way to go because the lion's share of his stuff has such a bleak tone to it. Silence Of The Lambs, Seven, the collected Howard Shore/David Cronenberg collaboration . . .

Mix that with a few heavy action tracks - Lord Of The Rings gets urban . . .

In fact, if we'd prayed harder for an A list movie . . . imagine Cronenberg writing/directing Warzone.

I want to move to the world where THAT exists.

- TB

Some people may disagree but I was apalled with the heavy rock soundtrack to the Punisher (2004).

Maybe when I was 15 I might have been impressed with it. But I'm not 15.

The only tracks I liked were "Broken" and "In Time", though I liked the version in the film better.

I dig Queens of the Stoneage too but that track isn't close to their best.

I'm not against doing a cool music soundtrack for a cool film that warrants it, "The Crow", "Garden State", you know, where the music you get on the soundtrack was also part of the film's experience?

The Punisher stuff was obnoxious to me. I know a lot of the younger cats dug it and I'm not slappin' em for doing so.

Just saying for me, it didn't work as a marketing tool. It just seemed a gratuitus attempt to appeal to a younger audience and nothing more. The Punisher does not need Drowning Pool to attract an audience.

And if I hear "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" again I'll scream. Didn't that play over the trailer or am I stoned? I was just forced to hear it yet again while watching the newest trailer for Rambo. God, somebody tell these people that it's been done!!! To Death.

If the Punisher HAD to have a music soundtrack it should have been this -

Blacktop - Helmet

Rising From The Deep - Fireball Ministry

Lord Of This World - Black Sabbath

Nailed To The Gun - Fight

The Outsider - A Perfect Circle

Spine Of God - Monster Magnet

Low Self Opinion - Rollins Band

I'm Broken - Pantera

Stagger Lee - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds

13 - Johnny Cash

Disconnect - Rollins Band

In Time - Mark Collie

- TB

I was really pissed about the Punisher soundtrack. I thought it lacked a shit load of what it needed. I was expecting a soundtrack like that of The Crow which I believe is one of the best hard rock/alternative movie soundtracks. Rollins, STP, Helmet, Jesus & Mary Chain, etc. It was all good and um ALL IN THE MOVIE.

The songs you listed for the Punisher are some of my all time favs like Disconnect and 13. All of it is good. I would have bought that thing in a second. One song though that I think they could have had would have possibly been Black Sunshine by White Zombie. I don't know why but that song always reminds me of the Punisher.

JO

300 didn't impress me at all. I bought that special edition cd BEFORE I saw the film (not doing that anymore) and was not at all blown away. It shoulda been epic! I'm a Greek, and I really enjoyed the Spartacus score. That opening sequence with the statues has a great sound to it. 300 didn't hit the spot.

-TL

I agree. Alot was missing. I downloaded one track and that's it. I prefer the movie a hellova alot more.

JO

Cronenberg writing/directing and Jane starring.

In a perfect world...

-TL

Hell yeah! That's what I always said. Cronenberg is one of my all time favorite directors and the way he did Eastern Promises and A History Of Violence combined with Howard Shore, Thomas Jane all for The Punisher = JACKPOT

JO

Hey Tim, have you heard about the 25th Anniversary 3 Disc Blade Runner score that's exclusive with amazon.com? It comes out later this month. I've heard the previews of it, it sounds really raw.

JO

You thinking Shore’s a safe way to go because of the Departed? Or is there a particular score of his that displayed Punisher-esque qualities?

I really liked the score to the game. It was like they literally transferred “Welcome Back Frank” into music. Specially the level where you break into the Gnucci estate to take out Ma and the family. Perfect score to that.

Transformers was done just the way it shoulda been. Not too big yet epic still. Best track - the Autobots land on the earth. It was done like a birth. Somethin amazing yet terrifying to witness. Good job Steve Jablonski.

Red Dragon is DEFINETELY worth buying. That score is so close to Silence of the Lambs (in contrast with the film) they’re basically counterparts. Just thought of Threepio and Artoo cause of that word.

I knew those scores to Multiplicity and Groundhog Day were fuckin similar! I myself wouldn’t jam to them (buy them) but they fit just right in the films.

On the Expanded Punisher score front - the search has begun. I’m browsing eBay right now.

Williams… You think he oughtta jump on a Marvel score? I’m thinkin Thor. I think what he did with Schindler’s List was outstanding. All that passion, and just the idea of having to score that impossible story must be frightening. You got millions that are gonna watch this thing, you better do something big right? The guy cannot fail.

Lookin through my shit, Resident Evil is pretty decent. Its got that Romero Dawn of the Dead vibe, yet its modern enough for the young people. Its that kinda rotting of the flesh note yet done in a scientist/swamp thing way. FUCK! Craven’s Swamp Thing had an awesome score! I must find it. Intense shit, gets your blood pumping.

Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth has a great score. Its a reocurring theme that's hummed. Know what I'm talkin about? I saw the Orphanage last month, the Spaniard film he produced - and its got a really good score. Check out the flick before it gets remade into an English film like EVERY GOD DAMN foreign film on this planet.

Kingdom of Heaven's score I feel has the best to offer in all the Liam Neeson scenes. Also the closing tracks too.

300 didn't impress me at all. I bought that special edition cd BEFORE I saw the film (not doing that anymore) and was not at all blown away. It shoulda been epic! I'm a Greek, and I really enjoyed the Spartacus score. That opening sequence with the statues has a great sound to it. 300 didn't hit the spot.

-TL

Just as I said before, I would love for the composers of the video game to do the movie score. I fuckin love the main theme with the darkness and the opera in it. The composers are called Sonic Fuel. You can download he video game theme if you haven't. It's floating around online. Like Tim said though, Howard Shore is a good way to go.

JO. I got the 3 disc Blade Runner score by Vangelis. It's the shit. I have an Amazon credit card so I do a lot of my shopping online at Amazon. Works for me!

JO. I got the 3 disc Blade Runner score by Vangelis. It's the shit. I have an Amazon credit card so I do a lot of my shopping online at Amazon. Works for me!

Man, you lucky bastard. I haven't got it yet. I'm itching for it though like a junkie needin' a fix lol. Good to hear. Can't wait.

JO

Yeah it's great to add to a collection. It won't be disappointing anyone who's interested.

Yeah it's great to add to a collection. It won't be disappointing anyone who's interested.

Just ordered it along with the Criterion Collection: Naked Lunch so it should be here in a few days. Probably get here when my 5 disc collector's set gets here. No worries.

JO

Has anyone heard the score that Neil Young performed for the movie Dead Man? I own it and I think it's really got something about it. Something kind of just pulls you in. It's dirty, raw, electric but it's not something you would expect from Neil Young which is one reason I like it.

JO

Yeah, well while you're making purchases on Amazon don't forget what I said about other scores by Vangelis.

You can get the several I suggested in an earlier post pretty cheap, used, through Amazon.

Also, I highly recommend "Themes" which to my knowledge, outside of the 2 disc bootleg I got my filthy little hands on, is the only place to get some of the music (beginning and end themes) from Vangelis' score to "The Bounty (1984)", which is one of his most sought after and incredible works.

His earlier work has a different vibe than the score work and his later work. It's something you have to work yourself towards if you are a fan. But, if you like Blade Runner, then I can highly recommend these works -

Themes

Antarctica

Chariots Of Fire

El Greco

Mythodea

Oceanic

Alexander is OK, I've not gotten into it totally for one reason or another, but there are definitely some tracks that make this a must buy for any Vangelis fan.

- TB

Can never go wrong with Chariots of Fire Tim. Instant Vangelis classic.

Neil Young's score to "Dead Man" is super-awesome.

If you liked the film, you'll love the score, if a score it can be called.

And it can.

If you are into straight guitar themed film music then I also recommend Clapton's score for the 1988 Mickey Roarke film "Homeboy". There is also a bit of Michael Kamen on this. The two had worked together previously on "Lethal Weapon".

And I think they teamed up again for "Rush".

And of course there's always the genius that is Ry Cooder.

Paris Texas

The End Of Violence

Trespass

Last Man Standing

Johnny Handsome

The Long Riders

Crossroads

Geronimo: An American Legend

- TB

Yeah, well while you're making purchases on Amazon don't forget what I said about other scores by Vangelis.

You can get the several I suggested in an earlier post pretty cheap, used, through Amazon.

Also, I highly recommend "Themes" which to my knowledge, outside of the 2 disc bootleg I own, is the only place to get some of the the music (beginning and end themes) from Vangelis' score to "The Bounty (1984)", which is one of his most sought after and incredible works.

His earlier work has a different vibe than the score work and his later work. It's something you have to work yourself towards if you are a fan. But, if you like Blade Runner, then I can highly recommend these works -

Themes

Antarctica

Chariots Of Fire

El Greco

Mythodea

Oceanic

Alexander is OK, I've not gotten into it totally for one reason or another, but there are definitely some tracks that make this a must buy for any Vangelis fan.

- TB

I love the 1492 score & Chariots Of Fire but I agree on the Alexander score. It didn't do it for me. I've been looking for that damn score to The Bounty for so long. I've gotta get it. I'll look into the others as well.

JO

Neil Young's score to "Dead Man" is super-awesome.

If you liked the film, you'll love the score, if a score it can be called.

And it can.

If you are into straight guitar themed film music then I also recommend Clapton's score for the 1988 Mickey Roarke film "Homeboy". There is also a bit of Michael Kamen on this. The two had worked together previously on "Lethal Weapon".

And I think they teamed up again for "Rush".

And of course there's always the genius that is Ry Cooder.

Paris Texas

The End Of Violence

Trespass

Last Man Standing

Johnny Handsome

The Long Riders

Crossroads

Geronimo: An American Legend

- TB

Ry Cooder kicks ass. I love the scores to Last Man Standing, Crossroads & Johnny Handsome. I listen to Last Man Standing non stop when I'm writing. It really opens the doors.

The score to Rush is so damn eccentric. I love it. Jason Patrick was brilliant in the film but the score really shines. I have been lookin' to get this as well. Same with Homeboy. I've been looking for the film and the score. I keep hopin' they rerelease these too. Mickey deserves it. Good film and great performances by him & Walken. I've also got the Lethal Weapon score. Good stuff.

Did you check out Swimming With Sharks, Tim?

JO

Raffi, I didn't expect the score to a game to be so dead-on. Specially Punisher. That whole fuckin game is just well put together. Those operatic themes plus the darker more subtle ones make up a great in-game experience. Thanks for the info on Sonic Fuel. The only other game that impressed me with its score is Bully. I bought the cd and its really fun to listen to. Reminds me of the Dead Zone.

Worst Vangelis score - Francesco, the Mickey Rourke movie directed by Liliana Cavani.

-TL

Did you check out Swimming With Sharks, Tim?

Tom Hiel is credited with the score but I see no listing for it.

Were you referring to the music soundtrack?

I've been looking for that damn score to The Bounty for so long. I've gotta get it.

Far as I know it's only available as a bootleg. To get that you have to know the right people.

I got mine at a comic convention from a vendor who used to deal in rare, out of print, and bootleg scores.

He doesn't do it anymore. He now works for the best film score outlet in the world - Screen Archives/Film Score Monthly

Do yourselves a favor and check this site out, especially if you are a serious collector.

http://www.screenarchives.com/

Both SAE and FSM release limited edition scores on a regular basis. Get on their lists to be included in the awesomeness.

What do you think of Bernard Herrmann? I liked his scores to Psycho & Vertigo. His Hitchcock connection really introduced me to his music & film scores.

Bernard Herrmann is one of my all time favorites.

Often imitated, never duplicated. The Score from the original "Cape Fear" is one of our biggest musical inspirations for "Dark Country". My favorites are, Cape Fear, Vertigo, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Fahrenheit 451, Taxi Driver, Psycho, Marnie, Jason and the Argonauts, North By Northwest, Mysterious Island, Obsession, The Naked and the Dead, and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I love a few of the Herrmann homages that have happened recently with James Newton Howard's score for "Signs", brilliant. And, "The Machinest" by Roque Banos. Both scores are wonderful.

What else can I say? If you want to learn more about this amazing composer, just listen to some of his work and search around on the web, wikipedia, etc . . . He was a fascinating character.

- TB

Street I really didn't like the score to Taxi Driver. That fuckin sax throughout EVERY scene of the movie really annoyed me. Herrmann's been better and I don't think it fits the film. Now, Scorsese did a great job on getting the guy that did Raging Bull. Its a touching score (not to sound soft), seeing that intro shot of Deniro in the ring as the titles come up - which is also featured with the montage of LaMotta's wins years later.

-TL

Tim, I'm pretty sure it's that soundtrack but better make sure. There is his soundtrack and then a hard rock soundtrack. Definitely want his. But I'll do some research and find out.

Glad to find another Bernard Hermann fan. I love the scores you mentioned. I have all but one. I need to get that damn score for Cape Fear.

I have both the James Newton Howard's score for "Signs" And, "The Machinist" by Roque Banos. The Machinist score is mesmerizing.

JO

OK, I said I was going to go "old school" with the next recommendation.

And I might be right if 1979 didn't seem to me like it happened only 5 years ago.

This is what happens when you hit 40. You suddenly realize that things like "1979" happened almost 30 years ago.

That phrase "30 years ago" takes on an awful connotation when you can say it, and you were also alive and cognicent during the time. To most of you it will seem like the 60's did to me ;)

Anyway, the official NEXT suggestion I have for you monkeys is the brilliant, atmospheric, and yes CLASSIC score to Werner Herzog's 1979 film "Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht", AKA, Nosferatu: Phantom of the Night, or as we know it "Nosferatu: The Vampyre. The score is composed and performed by the German group (and frequent Herzog contributor) POPOL VUH. Popul Vuh was the brainchild of mastermind Florian Fricke, who revolutionized the use of the Moog synthesizer during the "Krautrock" era. All compositions on Nosferatu are by Florian Fricke and performed by Popol Vuh who is -

Florian Fricke - Piano/Synthesizer

Daniel Fichelscher - Accoustic Guitar + El. Guitar

Alois Gromer - Sitar

Bob Eliscu - Oboe

Ted de Jong - Tamboura

With choral support from "A Chorus From Munich"

5160PQYQD7L_SS500_.jpg

This score was IMPOSSIBLE to procure for a very long time but thankfully "SPV" re-released it a few years ago and it is now very easy to get. ------> http://www.amazon.com/Nosferatu-Popol-Vuh/...2978&sr=1-1

From Amazon -

The new issue of Nosferatu contains more than 20 additional minutes of material left off the original release and for the first time appears as the complete soundtrack in the correct running sequence. Nosferatu contains four pieces which rank among the best in the Popol Vuh catalogue, thanks to a serene, mystic, deeply personal stance that basically transposes Hosianna Mantra into gothic music.

All Popol Vuh re-releases are manufactured as high quality collector's series with stickers indicating the bonus tracks. The Digipak spines have a design and when all are put together they form one big picture.

This is one of the prized scores in my collection.

A brilliant achievement in film deserves and equally brilliant score to accompany it.

Popol Vuh have done that and more.

Sadly, Florian Fricke passed away in Munich, 2001 at the age of 57.

For many of us, another day the music died.

- TB

OK, I said I was going to go "old school" with the next recommendation.

And I might be right if 1979 didn't seem to me like it happened only 5 years ago.

This is what happens when you hit 40. You suddenly realize that things like "1979" happened almost 30 years ago.

That phrase "30 years ago" takes on an awful connotation when you can say it, and you were also alive and cognicent during the time. To most of you it will seem like the 60's did to me ;)

Anyway, the official NEXT suggestion I have for you monkeys is the brilliant, atmospheric, and yes CLASSIC score to Werner Herzog's 1979 film "Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht", AKA, Nosferatu: Phantom of the Night, or as we know it "Nosferatu: The Vampyre. The score is composed and performed by the German group (and frequent Herzog contributor) POPOL VUH. Popul Vuh was the brainchild of mastermind Florian Fricke, who revolutionized the use of the Moog synthesizer during the "Krautrock" era. All compositions on Nosferatu are by Florian Fricke and performed by Popol Vuh who is -

Florian Fricke - Piano/Synthesizer

Daniel Fichelscher - Accoustic Guitar + El. Guitar

Alois Gromer - Sitar

Bob Eliscu - Oboe

Ted de Jong - Tamboura

With choral support from "A Chorus From Munich"

5160PQYQD7L_SS500_.jpg

This score was IMPOSSIBLE to procure for a very long time but thankfully "SPV" re-released it a few years ago and it is now very easy to get. ------> http://www.amazon.com/Nosferatu-Popol-Vuh/...2978&sr=1-1

From Amazon -

This is one of the prized scores in my collection.

A brilliant achievement in film deserves and equally brilliant score to accompany it.

Popol Vuh have done that and more.

Sadly, Florian Fricke passed away in Munich, 2001 at the age of 57.

For many of us, another day the music died.

- TB

Man, I've got to get that. I loved that film and the original also. The classic tale.

JO

Street I really didn't like the score to Taxi Driver. That fuckin sax throughout EVERY scene of the movie really annoyed me. Herrmann's been better and I don't think it fits the film. Now, Scorsese did a great job on getting the guy that did Raging Bull. Its a touching score (not to sound soft), seeing that intro shot of Deniro in the ring as the titles come up - which is also featured with the montage of LaMotta's wins years later.

-TL

I agree, the sax got old for me as well. A few less tracks with the repeated theme would have been nice.

Still, I can't imaging the film with any other music, not because I'm not capable of imagining it, but because Herrmann's score seems so deeply ingrained into the film and my subconscience that it would just be wrong.

Scorsese hired Herrmann for a reason. He wanted his film to have that classic noir quality of Herrmann's previous work.

Together the new and the old school meshed like butter and sugar. I think the combination is genius.

A little less sax would have been nice though ;)

- TB