Tim Bradstreet

Film Score Archive

I never thought I'd be saying that I bought the score to Twilight . . .

Of course that was before I knew that it was composed, conducted, orchestrated, and produced by one of my all-time favorite composers . . .

Carter Burwell.

Burwell is perhaps best known for his collaborations with the Coen Brothers, from Blood Simple (his first film score), to No Country For Old Men and Burn After Reading.

I'm particularly attached to his music from Rob Roy, Gods And Monsters, and In Bruges, almost always in rotation on my shuffle. Twilight is no exception to his taste, sensibilities, and talent. I love when Burwell gets bombastic as in some luscious cuts from Rob Roy, and on Twilight he plays that card to perfection. Alternately soft/morose/melancholy, and sharp/deadly, the music for Twilight is Burwell at his best. The score features a lot of guitar work, as well as full orchestration. The guitar textures are performed by David Torn, Kaki King, and Mitch Dalton. The stuff is wonderfully eerie and fits perfectly. I'm a particular fan of David Torn, and love his score for the 2003 film, The Order. Torn (also known as SPLaTTeRCeLL) and Burwell have enjoyed a long collaboration since they worked together on Kalifornia in '93.

The Twilight score offers Burwell's signature lush orchestration and striking piano melodies, but there is also a tribal and ritualistic quality to the percussion that is haunting. In fact, certain cues on this score bring to mind the lost and eerie melancholy tranquility of Popol Vuh's 1979 score for the Werner Herzog film, Nosferatu: The Vampyre.

How anyone at the studio level agreed on a guy with Burwell's reputation (Certainly not the go-to guy in the teen oriented film genre) must be God's own private mystery. But I'm glad someone had the good sense to see the incredible upside.

Excellent.

TwilightTheScore.jpg

- TB

Hey Tim, I know this is a little off but if you get a chance listen to Ghosts from Nine Inch Nails. It's all instrumental, so even if you're not into nin it's pretty cool.

Oh yeah, I really hope you come to the Mid-ohio comic con!

Well, this isn't exactly a film score, but I just got the soundtrack album for The Venture Bros. TV series by J. G. Thirlwell (of Foetus fame), and it's a great listen, it really is. There's an overall synth/electronic theme to it, but it also includes instruments like trumpets and flutes, you'll get one song that has a Carpenter vibe to it and then another that is Morricone.

Also, it's great driving music, probably even better for working out.

35586022.png

The Twilight score offers Burwell's signature lush orchestration and striking piano melodies, but there is also a tribal and ritualistic quality to the percussion that is haunting.

Thanks for this Tim - I saw the movie, didn't expect to love it, and know that the music contributed to that in very large measure. The music enhanced my experience of imagining reading the novel (which I haven't) and seeing it unfold on film, hopefully what fans of the books enjoyed. Niiice.

Guest AdminGuyX

I picked up the Hans Zimmer score for Angels & Demons today. I dig it. Lots of chanting, big drums, and it has a fairly epic feel overall. It seems too short though. :)

It was a toss up for me between this and the new Star Trek score. I went with this because I hated the names of the tracks on the Trek score. I know that's a funny reason to not buy it, but the titles of the tracks make me wonder how seriously they took the film, and my guess would be not very.

finally picked up the score for highlander the source and while the film is terrible the score is fantastic and the first highlander score to rival michael kamens work on the original film i recommend you give it a try

When I script I must have a score playing. I consequently go through a lot of them. Right now I'm doing something akin to "Colonial Marines" and so have been favoring musicians who do what I refer to as classical sounding scores with modern instrumentation. Steve Jablonsky right now is right in my wheel-house. And to that end I want to clue everyone into his Gears of War 2 score. Seriously worth picking up. And obviously his score was the only part of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen that kicked ass.

I've been a fan of Jablonsky's for a while now and one of the finest pieces for me will always be "Jablonsky Variations on a Theme by Hz/Cameroon Border Post" from the score to Tears From The Sun, by Hans Zimmer.

That classic build is a Zimmer trademark but Jablonsky puts a charge into it that makes you feel like heaven and hell have just collided. Always look forward to his new work. Was not aware of the Vid Game stuff, thanks for the tip.

finally picked up the score for highlander the source and while the film is terrible the score is fantastic and the first highlander score to rival michael kamens work on the original film i recommend you give it a try

That's great, I'd love to hear it. Could you toss us a little more information?

Who is the composer?

- TB

That classic build is a Zimmer trademark but Jablonsky puts a charge into it that makes you feel like heaven and hell have just collided. Always look forward to his new work. Was not aware of the Vid Game stuff, thanks for the tip.

Tim,

You'd be surprised how much quality score is coming from games today. Both Killzone scores are fantastic in my opinion. And I enjoyed about Half of each Halo score. I tend to favor scores that have intrusive cues especially when they're brass (the kind you said took you out of Pirates). Basically if I can't hum recognizable portions of a score after having listened to it, then it's forgettable to me.

But I'm with you on Jablonsky. Of all the Zimmer proteges out there he's easily my favorite. If my current comicbook project ever gets picked up to be a motion picture... I'd wet myself if I learned Jablonsky was scoring it.

Awesome.

I agree on Jablonsky.

And yeah, though it wasn't the brass that took me out of Pirates, it was the fact that the brass in question sounded so very close to the music from Gladiator, a score I absolutely loved and my ears knew very well. I know the boys had a tight deadline, and I'm no stranger to borrowing from my own work occasionally for the same reasons but it felt like I'd been there before in a different film. I fucking love the resonating brass!!! Elliot Goldenthal does wondrous things with that too.

;)

- TB

The Moon score by Clint Mansell is fucking amazing (especially the track "Welcome to Lunar Industries", listen to it and love it). The shitty thing is the soundtrack is only available on iTunes here in the states, bastards in the UK get an actual CD.

Also, if you haven't seen Moon yet, for the love of Sweet Zombie Jesus see it.

The Moon score by Clint Mansell is fucking amazing (especially the track "Welcome to Lunar Industries", listen to it and love it). The shitty thing is the soundtrack is only available on iTunes here in the states, bastards in the UK get an actual CD.

Also, if you haven't seen Moon yet, for the love of Sweet Zombie Jesus see it.

Mike, thanks for the tip on Moon.

Just checked it out.

Yum.

- TB

Not a film score but a track used in the trailer for the new Sherlock Holmes movie..... I'm a HUGE E.S. Posthumus fan and I just get pumped every time I hear this:

Unstoppable:

Listen to it. Enjoy it.

Tim, I think you'll enjoy how epic this gets. I fucking love it. That goes for everyone who can respect a good mix of epic, electronic, and classical

-Raffi

Not a film score but a track used in the trailer for the new Sherlock Holmes movie..... I'm a HUGE E.S. Posthumus fan and I just get pumped every time I hear this:

Unstoppable:

Listen to it. Enjoy it.

Tim, I think you'll enjoy how epic this gets. I fucking love it. That goes for everyone who can respect a good mix of epic, electronic, and classical

-Raffi

E.S. Posthumus gets played a lot on StreamSoundtracks.com (which I stream at work when I'm not at a facist client who blocks streams as I am at present) despite the fact it's supposed to be a "score" station. I must say I like the tracks I've heard. But I hadn't heard this one yet.

That's great, I'd love to hear it. Could you toss us a little more information?

Who is the composer?

- TB

theres a couple of short sample tracks and a review of the highlander the source score here

highlander the source score review

Living in the UK i manged to get Clint Mansell's score for moon on cd but i havent listened to it yet because no cinemas i can get to are showing the film and i want to watch it before i listen to the score.

I like this bit of trailer music quite a bit,

, it was mainly used for the Spider-Man 3 promos.

I just got the Inglourious Basterds soundtrack, and it is some good shit. It's got some great Morricone tracks on it.

I love many soundtracks, but my favorites are The Punisher, The Dark Knight, The Darjeeling Limited, 3:10 to Yuma (the remake), Platoon, and Rushmore.

I've been listening to the Inglourious Basterds soundtrack since I got, and this track

by Ennio Morricone has been the first thing I play when I wake up in the morning. It makes taking a piss seem so epic, it's great.

Great track.

It was composed in 1974, can't remember for which film.

I've got it on several Morricone collections.

I love how the kids who love Tarantino but don't know squat about Morricone assume the track was created for Inglorious Basterds.

I think I read too - someone on the youtube link likening the track to Pirates of The Caribbean, ie, Hans Zimmer . . . . Wha?

. . . Okay. . . . Dude's got a spoke loose.

How's the rest of the score stuff Mike?

I haven't been able to get a listen to the soundtrack yet.

- TB

I like it a lot, like I mentioned it's got some nice Morricone tracks on it. I love that Tarantino's WWII movie has both a David Bowie song and a blacksploitation song on the soundtrack.

Tim, it's well worth the pick up. Besides lots of cool Morricone, you get a bit of Lalo Schifin (Tiger Tank), the Nick Perito version of Green Leaves of Summer, and a few German tracks tossed in as well.

The Morricone is the best of the bunch though. Love the use of Un Amico, The Verdict (Dopo La Candanna), and The Surrender (La Resa). Sad to say though that Il Mercenario (Ripresa) is not on this or even on Kill Bill. Love that track.

These are the tracks from the film that don't appear on the soundtrack, which is kinda odd because the CD is only about 35 minutes long. Looks like I got myself a new pet project of tracks to look for.

1. "L'incontro Con La Figlia" - Ennio Morricone

2. "Il Mercenario (ripresa)" - Ennio Morricone

3. "Algiers November 1, 1954" - Ennio Morricone & Gillo Pontecorvo

4. "Hound Chase (intro)" - Charles Bernstein

5. "The Saloon (from Al Di Là Della Legge)" - Riz Ortolani

6. "Bath Attack" - Charles Bernstein

7. "Claire's First Appearance" - Jacques Loussier

8. "The Fight" - Jacques Loussier

9. "Mystic and Severe" - Ennio Morricone

10. "The Devil's Rumble" - Mike Curb & The Arrows

11. "What'd I Say " - Rare Earth

12. "Zulus" - Elmer Bernstein

13. "Eastern Condors" - Sherman Chow Gam-Cheung

Well Hell, I already have all those tracks on other discs ;)

May have to get it anyway to see if the tracks have been remastered, see if the sound has improved.

Plus I'd dig having the other stuff.

I have the Schifrin track too!

I'm glad someone is using old, mostly forgotten cues in this way.

I suggested the same for Amateur Kind when TJ and I were messing with it a few years back, using some old John Barry stuff from Ipcress File and The Chase.

- TB