Sign in to follow this  
Arsh

The Dark Knight

Oddly, worked for me when I tried it again.

Lots of interesting things in the GG nominations BESIDES Ledger. Looks exciting this year. Multiple nominations for "Tropic Thunder", Mickey Rourker...good stuff.

Robert Downey Jr. was pretty great in Tropic Thunder, so it's a tough one between him and Heath.

Warner Bros has been trying some pretty cool, experimental stuff with their first BD Live movie, The Dark Knight. And now, that list includes watching the movie with Christopher Nolan.

Those with The Dark Knight Blu-ray who've registered for Warner Bros' free Blu-ray accounts have the opportunity to watch the film in sync with director Christopher Nolan while he answers questions and gives us that commentary we were so missing from the BD's otherwise excellent extra features.

Slated for December 18th at 6PM Pacific, the community screening is open to the first 100,000 people who respond. But since Jason and I already RSVPd, that only leaves 99,998 spots left. Suckers.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5107480/watch-the-dark-...ristopher-nolan

Guest AdminGuyX

Some interesting bits from an online chat posted on AICN:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39510

The Real Latest From Christopher Nolan on a 3rd film in his BATMAN series...

Hey folks, Harry here... Ok - it is evident that the entire world wants to know the status of the third BATMAN film by Christopher Nolan. Well, the latest came out in a Dark Knight BD Live chat which is described below - but the big break is... "We learned that Nolan has been exploring the story of a third film with David Goyer. Other than that slip, there was NOTHING in terms of news about a possible third film. " So at this point - Nolan is exploring the 3rd story, but he went on to say that he had a lot of projects on his plate. And Alan Horn told Collider where Alan told Steve that basically the project was in Nolan's hands and whenever he had his story down, they'd do it. He also told Frosty that he felt GREEN LANTERN would be the next DC / Warner Superhero on screen. Here's the BD LIVE break down from JJ

Hey, I didn't see anything on AICN about the Dark Knight BD Live yet, so I figured I'd chime in. This exclusive event was offered to 100,000 people over BD Live and went down tonight at 6pm.

What a waste of time. I must have misread the description of the event, because I figured it'd be like the Favreau/Downey live commentary at the Aero a few months back for "Iron Man." I figured it would be Chris Nolan sitting for two hours to talk to fans about his film. What interests him, what he is proud of, funny stories about this scene, the things that make commentaries worth listening to.

Nope.

Instead, the BD Live commentary was a chatroom-ish box on the top of the screen. I understand the need for a moderator, since Nolan cant answer a barrage of questions from the 100,000 viewers, but the moderator chose generally stupid and uninteresting questions. For example, when the dog bites Batman at the beginning of the film, someone asked "Did Bale really get bitten by a dog?" Of course, the answer was "no." He was also asked if he likes "Star Wars," which he does. Aren't you glad to know that little tidbit? I'm quite certain that if there is a transcript of the event, interesting material covers no more than a page and a half.

Stupid questions aside, there were a few highlights. Someone proposed and is now engaged. Harvey Dent is DEAD. We learned that Nolan has been exploring the story of a third film with David Goyer. Other than that slip, there was NOTHING in terms of news about a possible third film.

I cant really remember all of the specific pros of the event, but here are a few that I recall:

- the sticky bomb gun is completely fictional

- When Gordon is appointed commissioner, Heath Ledger improvised the clapping.

- Long hair for the Joker was Ledger's idea.

- The flipping truck had teeth in front to dig into the ground and help it flip straight over

- The end monologue was written by Nolan late in pre-production, although is was one of the first things conceived.

- Nolan has no idea who the five people killed by Two Face are, because when he was asked, he refused to answer, saying something like "I'll answer that one day, but not today."

Overall, it was not worth the two and a half hours it lasted. Nolan seemed really uninterested, offering (for the most part) vague and simple answers. He rarely got in-depth about how something was achieved, or what he felt about a certain scene, etc. I was, and still am, very disappointed. For those of you who missed it, don't lose any sleep. It was not a missed opportunity.

-JJ

Warner Bros. has decided to take a pass on releasing "The Dark Knight" in China.

The studio, which has seen foreign grosses top $465 million for "Knight," made the disclosure in a statement Tuesday.

"Based on a number of pre-release conditions that are being attached to 'The Dark Knight' as well as cultural sensitivities to some elements of the film, we have opted to forego a theatrical release of the film in China," Warner said.

A studio spokesam declined to elaborate. "The Dark Knight" included scenes shot in Hong Kong, which could have created difficulties in convincing censors to approve the release.

The Chinese market has been growing impressively in years due to increased numbers of multiplexes and an expanding middle class. But sensitivities remain high about Hollywood's treatment of its culture.

Source: http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=aw...997740&cs=1

Things are looking good for The Dark Knight's possible Best Picture nomination at the Oscars as The Producers Guild of America has just nominated the movie for its annual Producers Guild Awards taking place Saturday, January 24 at the Hollywood Palladium. The Dark Knight is going up against The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk and Slumdog Millionaire for Best Picture.

The Screen Actors Guild previously nominated Heath Ledger for Best Supporting Actor and The Dark Knight for Best Stunt Ensemble. That awards ceremony takes place on Jan. 25.

This Wednesday, the Writers Guild of America will announce its nominees, while the Oscar nominations will be announced on Jan. 22.

The Producer Guild of America's documentary nominees are Man on Wire, Standard Operating Procedure and Trouble the Water. The animated nominees include Bolt, Kung Fu Panda and WALL•E.

In the television categories, "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "Entourage," "The Office," "30 Rock" and "Weeds" received nominations for Best Comedy, "Boston Legal," "Damages," "Dexter," "Lost" and "Mad Men" for Best Drama, "Deadliest Catch," "Frontline," "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List," "60 Minutes" and "This American Life" for Non-Fiction, "The Amazing Race," "The Colbert Report," "Project Runway," "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Top Chef" for Live Entertainment and Competition, and "24: Redemption," "Bernard and Doris," "John Adams," "A Raisin in the Sun" and "Recount for Long-Form.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51697

Not content with making enough money to bail out several national economies, The Dark Knight has scored a significant nomination from the Producers Guild Of America, joining Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Milk on the shortlist for best pic.

The PGA award will be a significant barometer for The Dark Knight’s chances at the Oscars: 12 of 19 PGA winners have gone on to win best picture at the Academy Awards, including No Country For Old Men last year.

Although overlooked for best film, there’s consolation for the wonderful Wall-E which is nominated for animated feature, alongside Bolt and Kung Fu Panda.

The three documentary nominations are Man On Wire, Standard Operating Procedure and Trouble The Water.

PGA winners are announced on January 24. Can the Dark Knight win? And will Chris Nolan’s masterpiece walk away with the best picture Oscar on February 22?

Source: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23954

In the wake of the recent Oscar nominations, the hand-wringing has begun over The Dark Knight, which was shut out of most major categories (with the notable exception of Heath Ledger's posthumous supporting-actor nod).

Was The Dark Knight robbed?

The Dark Knight was not entirely snubbed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences: It received eight Oscar nominations, most in technical categories, including cinematography and visual effects. (Although we recall that even 2007's critically reviled Norbit was nominated for an Oscar for best makeup.)

But contrary to high expectations, The Dark Knight got no major nominations: none for best picture, no nod for best director for Christopher Nolan, and no nod for its screenplay, by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, from a story by David Goyer.

Continue reading: http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/why-oscar-dis...dark-knight.php

ledger-jokerart.jpg

Fans are calling for Heath Ledger’s rendition of The Joker in Christopher Nolan’s blockbuster bash The Dark Knight to be acknowledged as the pinnacle of the character’s representation on film. But these fans won’t be satisfied with a posthumous Oscar; a petition placed on The Ultimate Joker, a Web site started by two dedicated fans, Fer Barbella and Nico Pimentel, is asking the film industry to refrain from recasting the role… forever. One of the site’s creators who spoke with the staff of Wired magazine via e-mail made the following comments:

“We truly believe Ledger’s performance as Joker is the best an actor could ever do,” the site’s team leader, Fer Barbella, told Wired.com. “Any other performance will be below expectations for sure, so we want to forever keep Ledger’s Joker as the one,” added Barbella, who launched The Ultimate Joker site last week.

Perhaps the fans at The Ultimate Joker are right—maybe there are those unique moments when the perfect mix of talent, determination, and material coalesce into a shining example of what it means to really bring a character to life; and with Ledger’s untimely passing, which many suggest was an indirect result of the intense process he underwent in order to transform into the white-faced psychopath, calls to immortalize his highly acclaimed performance as The Joker are understandably intensified.

But film is not baseball. The film industry does not “retire” a character the same way a team retires a player’s number. The way the industry at large shows respect to actors is well established: posthumous awards, film dedications, plaques, memorial services, lifetime achievement awards… Calls by Ledger’s fans to “retire” the character of The Joker from film (the petition does not include television or animated representations) are calls for something that, while it would be an unprecedented honor for the late Mr. Ledger, might also represent a limitation placed on the creativity that the medium of film was founded on.

The fact that we can’t imagine a better portrayal of The Joker on film, having now witnessed Ledger’s, does not mean that another actor would not come along who could present what some might view as a better portrayal. The fact that I could not imagine a better portrayal of Batman than Michael Keaton certainly didn’t stop Christian Bale from blowing Keaton’s sullen caped crusader right out of the water with his own take on The Batman only sixteen years later, for example.

That said, the propriety of The Ultimate Joker’s calls for the retirement of The Joker from film is up to you to decide. Even if you disagree with the site’s goals, we highly recommend browsing the amazing collection of quotes, interviews, fan videos, photos and other interesting information that The Ultimate Joker has compiled.

Source: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/fans...eath-ledger.php