Tim Bradstreet

Bad Planet #4

Issue #4 of Bad Planet with a delightful cover by that Bradstreet guy hit stands two solid weeks ago now.

Tom and I tried to pick up copies while in New Mexico at a cool little shop called ASTRO-ZOMBIE but them bastards were all sold out. Luckily I had a big box of them waiting for me when I got home Sunday afternoon. I gotta say it's the best issue yet from a quality standpoint. We finally got some of our color issues worked out and the stuff in this issue is absolutely beautiful. The paper rocks, the artwork is top notch (Thank you Jim Daly), and the story is rocking and socking. PLEASE let us know what you think. And if you can't because you don't have it yet then by all means get it, order it, find it, don't wait for the trade! Ask your retailer to reorder it if it's not in stock. You won't be sorry.

BP4reduxfinalTD.jpg

- Tb

Friend of mine had a copy, let me borrow it... really fun stuff. Dunno how it'll resolve itself in two issues... but I look forward to it.

Looking forward to a TPB though... as it's gone everytime around here, that or it doesn't come, it's not in the shelves.

Is it true that there are actually two 6 issue mini-series, or just the one?

I got this one right after it came out, TB and I love it. It's beatifully drawn, colored and written. It KICKS ASS big time. Great work. Can't wait for the next issue.

Oh, and that cover is freakin' awesome. Any idea who did that? :lol:

Mediumfan

I love this series. Been recommending it to those I know that collect comcis still. Page 12 rocked! James and Tim are doing a stellar job on the art and the story by Thomas and Steve reminds me of those old sci-fi movies from the 60's and 70's. (The good ones...) Can't wait to see where this goes in the next couple of issues... Is James (3 Times) Daly pencilling the next series?

I had to buy this book because the cover art was incredibly cinematic (although the logo is a bit amateurish, sorry). Conceptually, I feel the material is a refreshing change from the majority of what's out there... it seems that it's either superheroes or zombies/vampires.

I think the one element that needs clarification is the reader identification component. I don't have any individual to guide me through this world. I am left to appreciate the story as pure spectacle rather than an engaged participant.

I love this series. Been recommending it to those I know that collect comcis still. Page 12 rocked! James and Tim are doing a stellar job on the art and the story by Thomas and Steve reminds me of those old sci-fi movies from the 60's and 70's. (The good ones...) Can't wait to see where this goes in the next couple of issues... Is James (3 Times) Daly pencilling the next series?

Awesome to hear it, Steve and thanks for the compliment...Tim and I have had tons of fun together on this. Issues 4-6 were my favorites to draw. Been a dream come true to collaborate with Tim on this. Issue 4 was not only kind of the point where I feel like I was honing in on the book's style, but also...in print it is really the best issue yet! The printers kicked ass on this one! Tim's cover on the that issue is my favorite for this series, and the Mark Shultz cover for sure. Have to say that Berni's issue 2 cover and the Kaluta and Dave Stevens covers are amazing...and even more amazing that our interior art is wrapped in the work of such legendary talents.

Also, I want to say that Grant Goleash is possibly the best color artist in comics as well as an incredible illustrator in his own right. Wait until you see his illustration of the Convict, that is if that's not been shown already by Tim up here. Gorgeous.

I guess I can mostly answer the question about the next series. These characters have been incredibly fun to draw, feel like I know them so well now...but I also work in the video game industry as a conceptual artist full-time...so time is really the issue. I definitely want to work with Tim, Tom and Steve again on something again soon as we are all in love with much of the same type of escapism, comic art, etc and they are all so passionate and creative. I feel very fortunate to be able to do both comics and conceptual design with such great, talented people...but the main career focus for me will likely be concept work.

ALSO...Since I was brought in to complete this eagerly awaited 6-issue Bad Planet arch...I know I wouldn't want to be the reason anyone had to wait too long to see the next series. Have to see what time permits.

Happy Holidays everyone!

--James"3 days until Christmas" Daly

Of course, Grant should be mentioned. I've loved his colors since I noticed them on Batman/Deathblow a few years back. The moods he evokes with his pallet are incredible. I couldn't imagine working with the people who helped or contributed to this book. All the cover artists are legends in the industry and seeing their take on these characters has been a thrill for me as a reader... Can't wait to see where the story goes and to see what's next for RAW. :D

I think the one element that needs clarification is the reader identification component. I don't have any individual to guide me through this world. I am left to appreciate the story as pure spectacle rather than an engaged participant.

This is just personal speculation, but looking at the story (especially the first 2 issues) it seems that there isn't any single main character. So that form of narration is out. Also the whole story seems to be presented from a cinematic point of view (which makes sense with Tom Jane), and it is rare in movies to have a non-character narrator although not unheard of. And even though the 4th narrative is commonly used in comics I don't think it would really fit here. Of course it could just be my personal enjoyment of stories that I'm thrown into. I really like the feel of observing a moment in time where I have to figure things out for myself.

On another line of thought I've enjoyed the mix of practicality and science with the heavy homages to sci-fi and horror entertainment. I don't know that it was intentional but the spiders closely resemble the ones from the "Lost in Space" movie and you can't help but notice the nod to Critters (2?) when the spiders form the Death Balls. There are alot of other elements that are evident but few I can actually reference.

I don't know what kind of feedback you guys got for the 3rd issue but I would love to see another 3-D offering.

Anyway, that's that.

Darn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've yet to obtain a copy of any of these Bad Planet comics. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I had to buy this book because the cover art was incredibly cinematic (although the logo is a bit amateurish, sorry). Conceptually, I feel the material is a refreshing change from the majority of what's out there... it seems that it's either superheroes or zombies/vampires.

hey, I designed that logo! i used actual band-aids to glue two pieces of paper together when i ran out of room. come to think of it, that does make me an amateur. damn, busted again.

agreed on the second point. the book is written as an ensemble, which can have mixed results in comics. if i were to write the film, i would use one character as the focal point that we experience the story through, probably the boy Anan. but i'd keep the ensemble going. and although the book doesn't have a single 'guide' - I think that approach works for the epic sci fi story. there's so much story to tell, from not only around the world but across the Universe, a single narrator or lead character would pose a number of challenges, all of which would have kept the damn book from ever getting finished.

as you'll see in the last couple issues, lead characters do emerge from the madness.

TJ

hey, I designed that logo! i used actual band-aids to glue two pieces of paper together when i ran out of room. come to think of it, that does make me an amateur. damn, busted again.

agreed on the second point. the book is written as an ensemble, which can have mixed results in comics. if i were to write the film, i would use one character as the focal point that we experience the story through, probably the boy Anan. but i'd keep the ensemble going. and although the book doesn't have a single 'guide' - I think that approach works for the epic sci fi story. there's so much story to tell, from not only around the world but across the Universe, a single narrator or lead character would pose a number of challenges, all of which would have kept the damn book from ever getting finished.

as you'll see in the last couple issues, lead characters do emerge from the madness.

TJ

Using bandaids doesn't necessarily make you an amateur, Thomas. Just means you're creative in a crunch. ;)

As for the POV, I couldn't really figure out who we were supposed to be following in the first issue, but when it occurred to me that it was written as an ensemble piece (duh!!), then it flowed a lot better. But that was just my own brain getting in the way of reading and enjoying it. :lol: It reminds me now of (and I hate to say this, because it almost feels like a sacrilege to compare the two) a large scale sci-fi film like Independence Day, with multiple stories going on at once, and multiple characters' POV. And like in the movie, after the initial "chaos" in the story, the dust settles to leave a small, intrepid band of characters and we see the story from their perspective. This entire story arc has been a wonderful read, and has reminded me of what I once loved about comic books, but had forgotten. I also must admit that I was never a big reader of the horror/scifi genre comics. Not that I didn't like them, I just never bothered to pick up one and read it. I was always more into the X-Men, superhero type comics (Don't ask me why. I don't know.) I loved the Wonder Woman comics and the DC and Marvel superheros. I was also into the Archie comics somewhat.

But this series, and APF3K, have opened my eyes to a whole new kind of comics and made me fall in love with them all over again. Thanks, guys.

Mediumfan

I had to buy this book because the cover art was incredibly cinematic (although the logo is a bit amateurish, sorry).

I overlooked this at first because the criticism is fair play as opinion.

Normally I wouldn't seek to change anyone's mind over it, especially since it is a small detail in a very large picture.

But, it does represent us on this book and I think it represents us very well.

We had an earlier design that I liked so I didn't think we needed a redesign.

But Tom was adamant and rightfully so, it's his book.

I'll admit I wasn't crazy about it at first but after we added a few bells and whistles I rather fucking liked it.

Hell, now, a few years after the fact, I LOVE IT.

I think it has great presence and a feel that evokes both the horror and sci-fi elements.

I feel it compliments our fantastic cover art extremely well.

Not out of place at all in the world of EC but with a spin.

So now I feel like I must respectfully stand up for it in spite of the benign nature of the crit.

I think it rocks.

- TB

Well, ya'll have made me stop and look and think about the logo now. It never jumped out at me as looking out of place. Rather, it looks like the letters were hewn or chiselled, which sort of makes sense from a "planetary" point of view. My POV anyway.