Guest AdminGuyX

Finally saw this on cable.

What a gut wrenching, beautiful, crazy, stunning, and monumental film. One of those films that after you watch it you wonder "How did I live my life without ever seeing this before?"

Great films like this should not get buried.

If anyone reading this has not seen it yet. GO. Run. Go rent it, watch it on HBO, or seek it out on your ondemand channel.

Instantly goes into my "favorite films" pile.

Fucking A right Noeland.

Fox really fucked up releasing this film.

If some of us are this passionate about it you KNOW there is an audience for it.

Not sure why Fox decided it couldn't be marketed. I feel like they just gave up on it.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I don't know why you greenlight something, sink all kinds of dough in it without having some idea of what it is you'll wind up with.

I could think of a half dozen strong marketing strategies for this thing. Fans are starving for good Sci Fi, especially when it looks THIS good.

I feel really bad for Danny Boyle. That is indeed the short end of the stick.

Yes, go rent it. Go rent it NOW.

- TB

Great movie! Really hit on what I love about the potential of science fiction storytelling. You get the big ideas mixed in with the small personal moments nicely.

My only gripe is towards the end when the director is trying to not show the villain/monster while building up a "mind fuck" intensity, he goes a little too "Tony Scott" for me. Pulled me out of the moment rather than amping it up.

Nick

Yeah, it's not a perfect film but it gets sooo close. The end kinda derailed me too, but there was so much good about it I didn't even care ;)

Talk about stunning visuals. But there is a lot more to it than that. I loved the cast. And Sunshine allowed me to get past my Chris Evans issue too!

I love how Boyle casts a film. He's got a great eye for it. And he knows how to get performance and put it on screen.

- TB

Yeah, it's not a perfect film but it gets sooo close. The end kinda derailed me too, but there was so much good about it I didn't even care ;)

Talk about stunning visuals. But there is a lot more to it than that. I loved the cast. And Sunshine allowed me to get past my Chris Evans issue too!

I love how Boyle casts a film. He's got a great eye for it. And he knows how to get performance and put it on screen.

- TB

Sunshine must be doing the rounds. Finally caught it in full tonight. Have seen parts in channel surfing but got it in it's total. Cliff Curtis as always was brilliant - Cillian Murphy was outstanding and yes even Chris Evans had his moments.

Directorial style became a bit lost and wayward - helluva lot of Kubrick influence which tends to go stale half way through - especially the whole arguing with the ships computer.

The one thing you can always say though is that Danny Boyle pushes the envelope.

Andrew

I loved this movie. So glad to find some fans here, as well.

It stayed with me for weeks; I absorbed the commentary, especially that of the Physicist's ... I was recommending it to others, referring to Sunshine as "surrealist, existential, realistic, sci-fi" - because it is scientifically plausible, yet quite spiritual, bleak, and ultimately hopeful (but still sad!) by the end.

I first knew Chris Evans's work from Cellular - what a smart, game, leading-man debut, especially for a young guy - and have always embraced his acting choices, not only the roles he has taken, but the choices he makes within those roles (and, yes, including what he brought to Johnny Storm).

Danny Boyle really impressed me with this one ...

P.S. For those that have seen it,

did you notice that they actually listen to the psychiatrist to veer off course? I mean, they entertain his idea, then the scientists decide ... but it really is the sun-obsessed psychiatrist's

fault. :blink:

Fox really fucked up releasing this film.

If some of us are this passionate about it you KNOW there is an audience for it.

What was really strange that is that it was Sunshine was actually quite successful in the United Kingdom, where it was released months before in the States. So they knew that there was an audience (even if they were divided about the last section of the film..... but then again they had the same issue with 28 Days later!) and they still failed to market it.

So frustrating to see such a creative movie getting mistreated (and don't even start me on the Soundtrack/Score fiasco).

Can't wait to see it in Blu Ray, this is pretty high on my shopping list.

Finally saw this over the weekend. Visually stunning and quite impressive - this is how all SciFi films about space should look and feel like!

But..... I agree with some other posters about the direction and the cast. As someone said earlier, everyone is too young, good, but too young to be leading such an important mission. I didn't care for the direction towards the end - is this a beat the clock thriller or a horror/slasher flick? Some edits didn't flow well and caused more confusion than necessary. Like

the air-lock at the end, is Capa staying on IcarusII or hurled with the payload? I knew he had to go with the payload but that wasn't immediately recognizable

- so I was in limbo during some important action. That wasn't the only time I felt that way either. But that's when I just went with it and enjoyed what was flickering in front of my eyeballs.

I also couldn't help but feel that sinking Simple Plan feeling. I absolutely hated that film. When written well, the series of human choices and the subsequent chain of inevitablility can be intriguing but if done wrong like Plan it's just plain dumb. Sunshine teetered on that edge but pulled itself back - thank goodness.

I was also a little miffed that some basic operational details that were blatantly exchanged for character opportunities. Space walks and personality clashes the most obvious ones. Current space/submarine missions account for these and have behavioral methodologies that are designed to specifically to counteract boredom, agression, depression, etc. But, I'll admit that I did not watch the deleted scenes or listen to the commentary. I'm sure there are reasons for the above blips but I don't think I should have to watch a commentary for blanks to be filled in.

Basically, I wanted this movie to match it's visuals so I found myself expecting a lot more of the script & direction. I enjoyed it quite a lot but was left wanting more. I'll confess, the pre-pubescent boy in me most enjoyed all the graphic ways you could die in space. :lol:

Yeah. I felt the same way. I loved the basic premise, but when I saw the film "devolve" into a Horror/slasher type chase film I lost completely lost interest. I would've hope for something much more transcendent and intellectually stimulating... more Kubrick less Friday the 13th.

liked it but the last third came out of nowhere for me and i left wishing it had not happened that way. otherwise brilliant almost to the end.

jimmy

I just saw Sunshine a couple weeks ago and, SPOILERS AHEAD, possibly, so read at your own risk if you haven't seen the film.

I wanted to add a wayward thought to the mix, something that would have changed that last third of the film. Remember when the ship's computer is talking and it says that there are 5 passengers aboard, and not the expected 4? I was expecting the computer to say that *it* was the 5th passenger, and then the crew would have to figure out ways to get around the computer intelligence in order to complete their mission, but maybe that would have been a little too derivative of 2001: A Space Odyssey...

Jen

So, picking up a real old thread here - after years of saying I didn’t like Sunshine (but couldn’t have told you why) I watched it again at the weekend and, man, what a movie it is!! I like a good sci-fi flick but for some reason this left me a bit cold (ironic given the subject matter!). Loved the visuals, loved the score, loved the casting as well - I can only think I was in the wrong frame of mind when I saw it first time around.....just shows it sometimes pays to give films another chance.