I thought it was the best movie that never got noticed, and I appreciated that Sunshine was mentioned in the podcast. I haven't seen a lot of movies last year just because of the continuous barrage of crap that was out there, and this one just does it for me. I rented it a month ago and I've gone to buy it afterwards...the soundtrack is awesome and it's a shame that it wasn't released. As for the entirety of the film, I think everyone else has mentioned the negative side already so I'll hold back but it was brilliant in its visuals that it was story-focused and not eye-candy, as well as the characters and their relationships to each other. I was surprised about Evans' performance cuz I thought he wasn't an actor that wouldn't go far till I saw this movie.

Tim, I dunno if you've heard of this, but if you dug Sunshine you might like this movie as well: It's an anime movie short called Magnetic Rose, which is about a freighter crew investigating an abandoned space station that's run by a deranged AI in the form of an opera diva. It's got some similarities to Sunshine or even 2001 but it's extravagant. I highly recommend this.

Glad you guys dug it.

I think I said this earlier in the thread but I actually wasn't even aware I was watching Chris Evans when I saw this the first time.

I had only ever seen him in the debacle known as The Fantastic Four. He was off my radar. But when I did realize it was him I was like "That was refreshing".

I honestly thought (since my experience was unbiased) that his work was one of the better performances in the film. I guess it shows what certain actors can do when there is a director at the helm who knows what he needs and guides his troops properly.

There is no question the film is visually stunning, but never at the expense of the drama. The visuals serve it.

Thankfully this film is out there now, for better or worse. Most people I talk to about it that have seen it really did enjoy it.

Shame that this stuff gets buried by the very studios that are responsible for it. I'm sure some bean counter could give me a dozen intelligent reasons (or rationalizations)

for why they did what they did. None of that would wash with me because it all comes down to the same thing. You thought enough of this project to finance it. What you got from Boyle is solid if not very promising. When in this process do you decide it's not worth further investment? We're talking advertising dollars which if I'm not mistaken is a complete tax write off for a studio. It's the best money they spend all year. So you back an auteur filmmaker with his project but then you don't stand behind it? After you made an assload of money on 28 Days Later?

To me, marketing a project like this is not rocket science. The trailer itself was stunning and left me very much intrigued and wanting to see this film.

So just air it nationally in a shorter format for commercial space. You don't need Burger King kids meal promotion, it ain't that crowd. This is the type of film that seems like it would appeal to the Alien, Blade Runner, 2001, The Thing, Sci-fi crowd. Add Boyle, and Murphy to that mix. I think that's a solid film-going base.

Advertise it somewhere besides the internet (cheap), and give it a fair release where it doesn't have to perform against Spidey 3 or a Pixar film and I'd lay balls to a wolf that the film would have met with some success.

In my opinion it was cheated from they day after final cut to the point that the studio dribbled the film out with no fanfare to only a few cities and VERY few screens after pushing release dates back multiple times (another killer). Folks that DID know about it and DID have interest in seeing it on the big screen, theatrically, were never given the chance.

The film didn't bomb, it was a retroactive abortion.

In these cases I think the studio is responsible for the whole blame.

I'm probably missing some of the story and being unfair but as of yet, no one to my knowledge has stepped forward to offer a reasonable explanation.

Or an explanation period. So blame yourself for the conclusions we draw.

- TB

You thought enough of this project to finance it.

And that's where any explanation by studio heads will lose me. Why shell out however million dollars on something you're going to burry? It makes no sence, period. Stuff like that drives me nuts. Speaking of, whatever happened to In Bruges, the Collin Farrel hitman comedy?

What I love about films like Sunshine is that both Boyle and Garland worked on several drafts of the script (20 or 30 if I remember right) and both of them have compleatly opposite views of what the movie says to them, and neither one is wrong. It's amazing when a film can challenge you to think like that and have you carry on a dissusion of the film after (not during please ;) ).

And that's where any explanation by studio heads will lose me. Why shell out however million dollars on something you're going to burry? It makes no sence, period. Stuff like that drives me nuts. Speaking of, whatever happened to In Bruges, the Collin Farrel hitman comedy?

You know . . . I really actually wanted to see that. I'm not a huge fan of Colin Farrell though he seemed way less pretentious performance-wise, based on the clips and trailers I saw. I LOVE Brendan Gleason, and toss in Ralph Fiennes in a change-up role for him and I was very intrigued. It just looked like bumbling, rollicking fun.

Heard some cool interviews and stuff about the film on NPR too.

Here is the figures for Box Office return

$7,276,922 Domestic

It opened in the US on February 10 and played until the week of April 20.

So it's come and gone and I'm standing by waiting for the DVD release.

- TB

I saw this movie the first day it came out. Not for Farrell (who cares about him?). Not for Gleeson (Could be alot better). For the amazing Ralph Fiennes.

Ray steals the show the moment he shows up in the film. He's virtually impossible to compete with. I think only Liam Neeson was able to match him in Schindler's List.

The movie's got a good, fun pace. Not a slow artistic film. And definetely nothing like Guy Ritchie's SNATCH - which for some reason everyone kept comparing it to.

Street why didn't you go see this???

After hearing you embraced the magic of The English Patient, I'm surprised you passed on a Ralph Fiennes piece.

The guys's even good without a nose in Harry Potter.

-TL

I saw this movie the first day it came out. Not for Farrell (who cares about him?). Not for Gleeson (Could be alot better). For the amazing Ralph Fiennes.

Ray steals the show the moment he shows up in the film. He's virtually impossible to compete with. I think only Liam Neeson was able to match him in Schindler's List.

The movie's got a good, fun pace. Not a slow artistic film. And definetely nothing like Guy Ritchie's SNATCH - which for some reason everyone kept comparing it to.

Street why didn't you go see this???

After hearing you embraced the magic of The English Patient, I'm surprised you passed on a Ralph Fiennes piece.

The guys's even good without a nose in Harry Potter.

-TL

Heheh, no shit. Fiennes is brilliant in everything he does. The Constant Gardener is a recent great example.

I missed it because I have asskicking deadlines and a two-year old.

I really did plan on seeing it, then POW! It's 2 months later.

It's like living in the parallax of a paradox.

Or something . . .

- TB

You better watch DECEPTION! lol

If not for Hugh, do it for Ewan.

Its also a nice subtle thriller to help one make the transition into the monsters that are coming up next month. I already bought my IRON MAN ticket for Thursday night, and I can already picture the 600 people that will be in line behind me. HA!

-TL

Guest FADoss
Heheh, no shit. Fiennes is brilliant in everything he does. The Constant Gardener is a recent great example.

I missed it because I have asskicking deadlines and a two-year old.

I really did plan on seeing it, then POW! It's 2 months later.

It's like living in the parallax of a paradox.

Or something . . .

- TB

Ralph was amazing in "Red Dragon"...almost scarier than Hannibal Lector. I also enjoyed him in "The English Patient" and "The Constant Gardner". Sadly, I never saw "The Avengers" (heard it blew), don't remember "Strange Days" at all...and my uncultured ass has never seen "Schindler's List" all the way through.

Joseph is brilliant too. I remember him most from "Dust", "Shakespeare in Love", "Enemy at the Gates" and the remarkably disturbing "Running with Scissors".

Too much talent in that family...

Have to add "In Bruges" to my queque

Fred

FRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You haven't seen Schindler's List "all the way through"??? Why???

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddy, if I ever move out to the desert I am gonna pound you full of great cinema.

-TL

*Oh yeah one more thing, I just couldn't help it cause I love Hannibal so much. His last name is spelled "Lecter". Just never forget what he is...

Ralph was amazing in "Red Dragon"...almost scarier than Hannibal Lector. I also enjoyed him in "The English Patient" and "The Constant Gardner". Sadly, I never saw "The Avengers" (heard it blew), don't remember "Strange Days" at all...and my uncultured ass has never seen "Schindler's List" all the way through.

Joseph is brilliant too. I remember him most from "Dust", "Shakespeare in Love", "Enemy at the Gates" and the remarkably disturbing "Running with Scissors".

Too much talent in that family...

Have to add "In Bruges" to my queque

Fred

Thankfully TL already read you the riot act about Schindler's List ;)

As for the Talent in the Fiennes family, you should get a load of this -

Ralph (pronounced "Rafe") is the eldest of 6 children born to photographer Mark Fiennes and his wife, Jini - aka Jennifer Lash - a novelist, and a painter. Siblings are Martha Fiennes, a director; Magnus, a musician; Sophie, a producer; and twins Joseph Fiennes, an actor, and Jacob, a gamekeeper. Foster brother Michael (Mick) is an archaeologist. Cousin is British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Ralph attended Bishop Wordsworth Boys' School, the Chelsea College of Art & Design, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Joined Britain's Royal National Theatre in 1987 and the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1988.

I saw a cool documentary on Ralph's mother Jini which included most of the family. She was battling cancer, a fight she lost on December 28, 1993.

She talked about her life, her loves, her children, her love for her husband, creativity, the arts, literature . . .

The kids were interviewed throughout. It was a very personal little film. A peek inside the family and the matriarch who lovingly raised her children to aspire to a life less ordinary. A woman who in spite of raising 7 kids found time to be an accomplished painter and a novelist of great merit.

I think I saw it on PBS, but cannot track the project down anywhere.

If anyone has any insight into this doc, please let me know.

I'd love to see it again.

- TB

Still trying to locate, but their mother was truly a fascinating woman:

Jennifer Lash

I think this is it.

I remember the show being called Blood Ties which was also the title of her second to last novel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0939528/

There is precious little info on the IMDB page as it seems to be an episode of the Brit TV series "The Works", which ran from 1996 to 1997.

It's from Season 3, Episode 12. Weird that a two year show has 3 seasons. It was a series of hour long documentaries that chronicled the lives of interesting personalities from all walks of life. Actors, Actresses, Novelists, Musicians, Physicists, etc . . .

Probably no chance in Hell I can get a copy of this episode.

Also interesting to note, the Blood Ties episode was narrated by Sian Phillips, an actress I love - She played The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam in Lynch's D U N E.

I can actually hear her voice narrating this episode, like a haunted memory.

- TB

If it helps, the program aired before or by the year 2000.

Thanks - TB

When you wrote PBS, I thought perhaps an episode of Charlie Rose?

Charlie Rose Show

This featured her kids discussing her life and I am just wondering if this is it? I cannot locate anything else.

When you wrote PBS, I thought perhaps an episode of Charlie Rose?

Charlie Rose Show

This featured her kids discussing her life and I am just wondering if this is it? I cannot locate anything else.

Nope, it was DEFINITELY that episode from "The Works".

Still like to see that Charlie Rose episode though.

- TB

Nope, it was DEFINITELY that episode from "The Works".

Still like to see that Charlie Rose episode though.

- TB

I don't see it here TB:

BBC America DVD Section

Also interesting to note, the Blood Ties episode was narrated by Sian Phillips, an actress I love - She played The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam in Lynch's D U N E.

I can actually hear her voice narrating this episode, like a haunted memory.

- TB

Dune. I don't care what anyone thinks, I liked it, flaws and all.

Dune. I don't care what anyone thinks, I liked it, flaws and all.

Well said, well spoken JWeber.

You're aiming at having me call the strippers back aintcha?

- TB

I don't see it here TB:

BBC America DVD Section

Well unfortunately it seems unlikely that the BBC would release this type of show on DVD.

Each episode is a stand alone.

It works for shows like BIOGRAPHY because the subjects there are bit higher profile and or historic.

The folks that want the "Peter Green" episode of "The Works" are not going to want to buy a whole season one just to get the episode they want.

Still, perhaps the BBC should consider releasing single episodes individually, as with BIO, and shows like Masters Of Horror.

*sigh*

Probably never get to see it again.

- TB

Thankfully TL already read you the riot act about Schindler's List ;)

As for the Talent in the Fiennes family, you should get a load of this -

Ralph (pronounced "Rafe") is the eldest of 6 children born to photographer Mark Fiennes and his wife, Jini - aka Jennifer Lash - a novelist, and a painter. Siblings are Martha Fiennes, a director; Magnus, a musician; Sophie, a producer; and twins Joseph Fiennes, an actor, and Jacob, a gamekeeper. Foster brother Michael (Mick) is an archaeologist. Cousin is British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Ralph attended Bishop Wordsworth Boys' School, the Chelsea College of Art & Design, and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Joined Britain's Royal National Theatre in 1987 and the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1988.

I saw a cool documentary on Ralph's mother Jini which included most of the family. She was battling cancer, a fight she lost on December 28, 1993.

She talked about her life, her loves, her children, her love for her husband, creativity, the arts, literature . . .

The kids were interviewed throughout. It was a very personal little film. A peek inside the family and the matriarch who lovingly raised her children to aspire to a life less ordinary. A woman who in spite of raising 7 kids found time to be an accomplished painter and a novelist of great merit.

I think I saw it on PBS, but cannot track the project down anywhere.

If anyone has any insight into this doc, please let me know.

I'd love to see it again.

- TB

I love stories like this, TB. I never knew all of that history about the The Fiennes family. Sounds like a fascinating bunch of people. I enjoy their work (Ralph and Joseph) as well, and it's inspiring to hear stories like this.

Another amazing family, as I'm sure you know, is the Arquette family. Everyone knows about the acting heritage in that family and how deep it runs, but there is precious little said about their mother, Mardi. She was another amazing, inspirational woman, who was a therapist and teacher, and devoted herself to helping others through counseling at a crisis center, often pro bono, and was also an accomplished poet and writer. I would love to have seen a piece like that about her. I would still love to see that, even though she lost a battle with cancer as well. She did a wonderful job raising her five children as well, especially in that crazy, mixed-up world of Hollywood.

Sorry to get off track, but I was reading about the movie, and got distracted by the story about the Fiennes. The movie definitely sounds interesting and I will certainly be looking for it to check it out.

Mediumfan

Guest FADoss

Yeah, I figured I had an ass-raping coming for the "Schindler's List" thing. I need to quit being so damned HONEST on here. :) There are several odd little movies I've never seen but want too and have not ever got around to viewing. I think "Hamburger Hill" tops the list. "Frequency" and "Michael" were two I always wanted to see. Lots of others two...though I've seen some fringe stuff that I'm sure no one here has caught.

Fred

Dennis Quaid is fantastic in FREQUENCY and Bob Hoskins is a surprise attack in MICHAEL. Hamburger Hill coulda been so much better had they gotten a different lead. Same problem with Benjamin Bratt in The Great Raid, he fucking ruined it.

-TL

Dennis Quaid is fantastic in FREQUENCY and Bob Hoskins is a surprise attack in MICHAEL. Hamburger Hill coulda been so much better had they gotten a different lead. Same problem with Benjamin Bratt in The Great Raid, he fucking ruined it.

-TL

Bratt just seems like a sleepwalker most of the time.

He has the intensity of a bowl of cream.

I wanna like the guy but he's like a fucking android on screen.

- TB

Guest FADoss

Yeah, sadly I caught "The Great Raid" right before I participated in the Memorial Bataan Death March (26.2 miles with a 36 pound pack)...not incredibly inspiring.

But hey, if he can make it...more hope for me right...especially for a film like "The Great Raid".

Fred