As for Sunshine, even if chicks dig Chris Evans, he is still a pretty good actor in my book not counting the cheesy Fantastic 4 movies, those should have been more hardcore instead of like a cartoon.

-JO

Y'know Chris Evans impressed me in "Sunshine".

I can't stand him or anyone else in FF, but he really showed me something in this film.

It frustratingly makes me wonder how good FF could have been with a different script, different director, and a different vision.

The Doctor Doom stuff alone in FF was enough to make me hate it. Wait, the armor is growing out of him?

To quote Ripley from Aliens - "Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?"

EVERYONE SEE SUNSHINE!!!

- TB

Ok, based on everybodys reviews I will see SUNSHINE, but the main reason I would stay away was because Chris Evans was in it...to say I hated him in FF would be just such an undestatement. I agree with TB on hating everybody in it, but HIM more than all the others! His role in FF is why I won't see him in anything else. So I'll give him a second chance...who gets the bill if I pitch the movie through my window because I hate him?....kidding, I'll burn it in the fire pit, mumbling evil voodoo curses while it goes up in bubbling flames!

There is possibly only one actor I hate more than Chris Evans...Richard Gere. Jesus, I hate Richard Gere.

In Chris Evans' defense, I must intercept this current chain of opinion. Yeah Street I agree F4 woulda/coulda/shoulda been better. But I don't put the blame on Chris of all people. Or on Julian. I really had no reason to think shit of the guy. He's a big fucker for one thing, so Johnny's not a wimp in the film. He had the best line in the film: "Let's see if we can get blood from a stone." And if ya haven't seen the extended cut, then you're missin out on one of his best scenes as the Torch...Johnny fights cockblocking with fire. I've seen everything he's done, and Sunshine merely scratches the surface. London was fuckin great - It reminds all of us of how annoying it is to reconcile with exes. Cellular (his first film with Jessica Biel and Jason Statham) was AWESOME. How can one not like that movie? And I just saw Nanny Diaries (with a chick yes), and the guy carries the little there is to carry in the film. My final piece of evidence supporting Chris' performance as the Human Torch, I mentioned in another thread - I was sittin in the theatre waiting for Night at the Museum to start, when the teaser for Rise of the Silver Surfer caught me off-guard. It bombarded me with excitement like no other trailer had done in a while (X3 when I saw King Kong). It actually got me hyped for a Fantastic 4 movie! A Fantastic 4 movie!!! Chris does a great job getting his ass handed to him by the Surfer. That's all I gotta say.

-TL

Well, we are getting WAAAAAAAAAY off topic now. So, I'll just add, that when Sunshine comes out on DVD in the states I will pick it up and watch it. Anybody know yet when that may be? But until I see it, I ain't pickin' up any other Chris Evans flicks.

I got no hate for Chris Evans as an actor.

I only have FF and Sunshine to go by.

He ruins me in FF, as does the rest of the cast, all of whom I normally enjoy.

No, not blaming the actors here. Blaming the film, the concept, and the execution.

The actors did what they were asked to do.

How do you make perfume out of a pig?

Chiklis nearly freaked out and left the production when he realized what he was getting into.

He stuck it out cause he's a pro, but he really did have a personal meltdown over it.

Hey, the payday's are good, and you're looking at mostly TV actors getting a chance to do a film.

Aside from Sin City which was released the same year, Alba had no real credibility in film (aside from the obvious).

Not even Ioan Gruffudd had much going on prior to FF, mostly independents and some TV.

Yeah, they all had film experience but none of them had ever really carried one as a lead aside from Chiklis way the F back when with "Wired" (and it tanked).

So I get it, it's an opportunity to reach a way bigger audience, to get on the map.

Their agents must have been lobbying heavily.

And normally I dig Mark Frost (Hill Street Blues, The Believers, Twin Peaks), but I'm really not too sure how much of his original screenplay made it to the screen.

Michael France also got his hands in it and there were probably some uncredited guys there too.

Regardless, we could debate this all day long. It didn't pass muster with me. If I'm 14 or 15 maybe I love it, but who's to say. My tastes have evolved way past what was acceptable to me then. As much as I still try to be a little kid in the audience and give stuff a chance it still doesn't matter when it comes to an inferior product.

Normally when I view something for the first time on DVD I end up giving it even more of a chance, which was the case when I viewed FF. With FF I don't think it would have made a difference if I'd only caught it on pay cable. Just utterly disappointing to me.

I can't get on any kind of X3 bandwagon either. Aside from the characters I already love from the first two there was nothing there. It felt like entire chunks of that film were missing, and it seemed badly edited. And a few good lines don't rescue something that doesn't hold a candle to the previous films. It looks great, granted. And Brett Ratner may be a player, but directing "Rush Hour" shouldn't hand this guy instant credibility.

"Red Dragon" paled in comparison to "Manhunter", Silence Of The Lambs", and even the not so universally accepted "Hannibal". And it BOASTED the acting talents of Hopkins, Norton, and Ralph Fiennes. I did enjoy "After The Sunset" but only because it was a fun little romp that didn't pretend to be something it wasn't. Brosnan, Hayek, Harrelson, and Cheadle are simply fun to watch. Ratner just seems to me to be a guy that can get the job done on budget and play the studio game.

I don't hate him personally or anything, and I'd love to see him prove me wrong and do something genuinely good. X3 ain't it.

All I'm saying here is that just because the characters we love are up there on screen, played by actors we enjoy, it shouldn't mean we have to like it if the rest of the thing falls flat.

To me it's definitely more disappointing when you have all that in place and it still doesn't work. We should demand more if Hollywood is going to continue to pump out sequels and remakes.

Just because we are a fan of the first or second film, it shouldn't give a studio license to phone it in. We pay for it cause we gotta know. We're suckers.

But if it doesn't cut the mustard then stop supporting it on DVD or otherwise. Because THEN the formula works, and Hollywood will say, hey, we know FF, or X3, or Ghost Rider was a joke, but consumers are buying the DVDs in DROVES. We made an assload of money on this stuff so we totally have a market for even substandard crud!

This is a big reason why Hollywood LOVES us comics fans. Sure, a lot of the material is unmined (that's the positive), but we're also fucking MARKS, because bad taste knows no bounds.

And man oh man are we good for opening weekend box office. And right now? Opening a film has become EVERYTHING to the bean counters.

Apologies to TL or anyone else if it seems I'm dumping on something you dig.

I know, we as a society just want to be entertained. It doesn't always matter if the quality is there.

Entertainment has become our new religion. We worship at the alter of our TV's, Cineplex's, and Game Consoles.

Fine, we suck ;)

But bottom line people, and quasi religious philosophy aside.

We need to demand more of our entertainment.

I wanted to see a great Ghost Rider movie as much as the next, but all I had to do was get a gander at the trailer. It did not give me confidence.

Then I skip opening weekend to see what friends report. When I heard back from the Ghost Rider contingent I knew I'd be skipping it.

I waited for rent (and used a free coupon). My fears were fully realized in ways that boggle the mind. And of course, the bike/fire effects were mind numbingly cool.

But so what? The skull looks like a cheap 3-D animated shell. It looks like exactly what it is. No revelations here.

And even though I knew it'd be bad going in; my expectations notched at my lowest setting. I was still shocked at how much I didn't like it.

GAAH!

Is this stuff really this bad or am I just getting too old to embrace the things I still hold dear?

Bullshit, some of this stuff just plain 'ol sucks.

Sorry for the long wind.

- tb

Amen.

Ya know Street, I like your mentality towards mediocre film. By the way, this retort to your last statement will be extremely mellow as about an hour ago, my dog got hit by a car and died in my arms on the way to the hospital. R.I.P. Smokey 2001-2007. I agree 100% with you about us fans becoming so obsessed with sequels that we've forgotten to care whether or not they're any good. I do think a great deal of things are being influenced by money these days - including the prolonguing of bad franchises. I personally feel the X-Men franchise was flawless. Every comic book fan of the X-Men I know hated X3 - but that didn't stop it from being the 2nd highest weekend opener Marvel has put out, and the 4th highest Marvel grosser to date. I clashed with many of my fellow brethren in the comic community because of this film. I DON'T think this is a perfect film. I do however think it was better than the first two. Yes I know everyone differs with this opinion of mine. Why do I prefer X3 to X1 and X2? One reason alone: Drama. Brett Ratner has not impressed me with anything but this film. The whole fuckin universe branded him the shithouse of the X-Men franchise long before X3 hit theatres. I kept quiet and waited for the finished product. I have complaints about the film, like I have complaints for any film (Jessica Alba was nothin like Nancy). So I'll tell ya the story, of how X3 blew me away. I expected salisbury steak when I went into the theatre. Within 30 minutes I was upgraded to prime rib. The scene that took me to where no other X-Men film or Marvel film had taken me, was the battle at Jean Grey's house. This entire storyline (that goes back to X1 and X2) culminates in the scene, in a way I never thought Ratner or the franchise could pull off. Yes X-Men comic aficionados. I KNOW it's not "like" the comic. The Phoenix doesn't wear the green or red outfit - instead she's dressed in 80s Flashdance clothes. Clothes that COULD be found in a real suburban home. Yes she does not fly to planet nimrod and cook the asparagus people. Yes she does not threaten all the X-Men's lives yet STILL doesn't kill any of 'em. Instead, she does kill one of them - the most important one. Why? Because it COULD happen. In a comic it COULDN'T. Specially back then, now in days Capi can get capped. I went in expecting a quite played-out revelation of the Phoenix character. I had no hint of danger towards the X-Men. Why would I? I am so glad, everything X3 gave me I wasn't expecting. Watching Jean kill the professor was fuckin exhilarating. I was about to jump outta my seat. In my head I was thinkin, "No way. She's going too hard on him! How is he gonna get himself outta this shit? Wait a minute, I don't think he is...Holy shit. He's not gonna make it." The scene put a struggle in me. How many films have done that to you Street? Made ya feel desperate as a viewer?. I felt what Wolverine was feeling when he struggled to get into the room where his friend was about to get atomized. John Powell's score made things even more nerve-wrecking. When I left the theatre, I asked every press guy what they thought of the film. Most of 'em complained, but none of them surprisingly had shit to talk about the Jean Grey/Wolverine/Xavier/Cyclops arc. Thank God. These guys must have seen what I saw. The Phoenix was a bi-polar mess. Not an inter-galactic force of destruction (which I love WHEN reading the comic). She was outta control, and took revenge on those that tried to control her. Scottie had to go quick. Charles she loved so much, she actually gave him a chance to walk away. Her murders are what make Wolverine's entire involvement with the X-Men [in the films] meaningful. Here's a guy that didn't wanna stay in one place, yet the place he landed on happened to be the home of the woman he'd fall in love with. A woman impossible for him. A woman that projected stability and order, his total opposites. The irony is that he loved those qualities, and when he saw her throw them away - he felt confused. He wasn't excited about her lettin loose, it felt unnatural to him. The confrontation between Jean and Wolverine during the climax - reveals his most pivotal role throughout the entire run of this saga. No-one else could get close to her. Killing her was the key to saving her. Deep love. And the chance to not only prove it, but profess it. I felt so much closure when he told her he loved her right before the end - THAT had been killin HIM. Well Street, I think now ya know that besides the suckass cameos in the film, the underdeveloped storylines, the bad editing, and the waste of good characters - underneath it all, was a story about impossible love. Love that could never be. Just plain old human love.

-TL

I couldn't chase my dog's killer. The little guy was still breathing when he got hit. Now, if I could catch that motherfucker that hit him - HE'D be fucked.

-TL

Fuck man I forgot this movie had a thread, and now that I'm reading it again it brought back the memory of my dog getting hit by a car. Thanks for the update though.

-TL

As we close in on the ass end of 2007 I just wanted to remind folks that "SUNSHINE" hits retail stores in a little over a week!

Hey, fine, don't buy it. But GO RENT IT at the very least.

It'll be worth my $20.00

And as the year comes to a close I would be remiss if I didn't add a hearty farewell to Thomas' dog Smokey.

The bastards that ran you down will not go unpunished. Kharma is a bitch and she's gunning for you fucksticks.

So yes . . .

We're speeding towards the new year and as the immortal Elwood Blues once said "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now."

- TB

As we close in on the ass end of 2007 I just wanted to remind folks that "SUNSHINE" hits retail stores in a little over a week!

Hey, fine, don't buy it. But GO RENT IT at the very least.

It'll be worth my $20.00

And as the year comes to a close I would be remiss if I didn't add a hearty farewell to Thomas' dog Smokey.

The bastards that ran you down will not go unpunished. Kharma is a bitch and she's gunning for you fucksticks.

So yes . . .

We're speeding towards the new year and as the immortal Elwood Blues once said "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now."

- TB

Already have this film pre ordered along with Death Sentence & Joshua. Great films.

Tim if you haven't seen Joshua yet I recommend that you do. It's got Sam Rockwell and the very lovely Vera Farmiga in it. It reminds me alot of Demon Seed & The Omen.

JO

Street, thanks for the farewell to the fallen hound. My 2 cats really miss the little guy.

Sunshine is something I'm purchasing the moment it hits along with:

-ZODIAC: The Director's Cut

-SHERGAR (A dvd re-release of the Mickey Rourke/Ian Holm/David Warner film)

I also recommend the following titles that hit on the 15th of January:

-THE TEN (A great little indie movie with Liev Schreiber and Famke Janssen)

-GHOST SON (This is a fuckin great movie starring Punisher's Laura Harring, that I had on region 2)

-GOOD LUCK CHUCK (This was funny and Alba is smokin hot in it. I saw it with a girl at the theatre, and it really set a fun mood)

*TNA WRESTLING: GENESIS 2007 (I am at this show, that took place on November 11 at Universal Orlando. It marks the official return of Kevin Nash to the ring)

Now some Blues...

blueswa8.jpg

-TL

Street, thanks for the farewell to the fallen hound. My 2 cats really miss the little guy.

Sunshine is something I'm purchasing the moment it hits along with:

-ZODIAC: The Director's Cut

-SHERGAR (A dvd re-release of the Mickey Rourke/Ian Holm/David Warner film)

I also recommend the following titles that hit on the 15th of January:

-THE TEN (A great little indie movie with Liev Schreiber and Famke Janssen)

-GHOST SON (This is a fuckin great movie starring Punisher's Laura Harring, that I had on region 2)

-GOOD LUCK CHUCK (This was funny and Alba is smokin hot in it. I saw it with a girl at the theatre, and it really set a fun mood)

*TNA WRESTLING: GENESIS 2007 (I am at this show, that took place on November 11 at Universal Orlando. It marks the official return of Kevin Nash to the ring)

Now some Blues...

blueswa8.jpg

-TL

The Ten is hilarious TL. I remember Shergar. I'll have to look for it. I wish they'd release Barfly and Homeboy dammit. I want those two films. Same with Thursday.

JO

Barfly was released in 2003 - BUT in a limited form. Not many copies were made for distribution so it'll cost you a pretty penny online. Its a great dvd though, with deleted scenes and a widescreen presentation. Worth the $60+dollars.

-TL

Barfly was released in 2003 - BUT in a limited form. Not many copies were made for distribution so it'll cost you a pretty penny online. Its a great dvd though, with deleted scenes and a widescreen presentation. Worth the $60+dollars.

-TL

Yeah, it's hard to find that and Thursday. Dammit I need them haha, same with Homeboy I wish that was out too.

JO

I bought it at Best Buy the tuesday it came out, some five years ago. Some DVDs you gotta keep a close eye on Jim. Or you just buy them online for a fuckload of cash.

-TL

I bought it at Best Buy the tuesday it came out, some five years ago. Some DVDs you gotta keep a close eye on Jim. Or you just buy them online for a fuckload of cash.

-TL

No shit bro. I can hope for a re release but I don't see it happening. Gonna have to just watch it.

JO

I watched Sunshine last night and I'm still thinking about it. I went back and read through this thread, and have to say that I thought Chris Evans' performance was one of the best things about this movie. When I was watching it, I couldn't remember where I'd seen him before. I saw FF a while back, but not it's sequel.

I guess I have a lot of mixed feelings, and I want to watch the film again with the commentary on next time. So, to throw out some random thoughts -

My biggest problem with the film was the casting. I thought everyone was at least 10 years too young to be doing what they were doing. Cassie was particularly unbelieveable for me. (Rose Byrne is a cutie, I guess, so maybe that was the reasoning.) These people are going out into space to save the world. I'm thinking the most experienced persons would be filling the slots.

It was visually fascinating. The images of the sun, outer space, the spacecraft inside and out. Gorgeous.

The whole idea of the captain of Icarus 1 surviving all those years and the condition he was in was unbelievable to me. (Is he a Reever who escaped from Firefly? Seemed like a rip-off of that to me.)

There were some basic ideas in the story that were depicted well, though, I thought. How one decision can have huge ramifications. How one mistake can lead to a huge pile up of destruction.

And Cillian Murphy is just plain creepy to me no matter what I see him in. He's not a draw for me to go out of my way to see a flick. I wasn't thrilled when I realized he was in it. But that's just me.

Anyway, those are the few thoughts I have after one viewing. I'm interested to read what others thought of it. I'll probably have more two cents to throw out after I watch it again.

Well, I've watched Sunshine two more times - once with the commentary of Dr. Cox and once with the commentary of Danny Boyle. Each time I picked up more about the story that I missed on first viewing. It was annoying to me how much I missed. The story and set are so information dense, I couldn't seem to pick up on all of it the first time through. I guess I'm getting slower on the uptake in my old age. I think it would have been easier to keep up with it all on the big screen, where some events wouldn't have been so subtle.

Anyway, I never got tired of the CGI. It's beautiful. I do think it's a bit of a fault of the storytelling when you have to listen to the commentary to fully get some of the motivations. But that could just be me. I still have problems accepting that the captain of Icarus one could have survived in that state for all that time. The film, to that point, seemed to try to be as scientifically accurate as possible while still being able to put the story on film. Suddenly, it throws in this character, who I guess portrays the iconic scifi monster. I just couldn't buy into that.

After watching Cillian Murphy in the movie for three days, he's starting to grow on me. But I still wouldn't want him to move in next door.

Sunshine was one I had waited for too, but it never came out, or at least, it was never advertised as out. Sadly, there where only 4 copies at the local retailer when it came out on DVD, so I had to grab one on the spot.

I loved the hell out of this film. At first I was a little cautious. The trailers looked great, but there seemed to be too many CG shots in the trailer and Chris Evans was in it. I don't hate the guy, at the time I was still on the fence about him. It was looking like he could go either way. As for the CG, I was scared that the stuido was trying to turn this into a special effects extravaganza. I don't mind them, I've seen my fair share, but sooner or later during those films, it's like watching a cartoon.

I thought the script was great, way smarter than most of the stuff I'd seen last couple of years, and as Tim has said over and over, it took Sci-Fi seriously. As for those who gripe that the last 15 minutes where nothing but a slasher film, well, what can you do. I liked it, it worked for me at least.

With the millions of extra dollars stuidos put into advertising (even though I don't think this one even had $1000) I don't see why they keep some on reserve, that way, when a film is starting to burn out fast, they could use that little extra bump to keep it in people's minds. It used to be that a lot of films would not do so well opening weekend then word of mouth would carry, and a week or two later it was doing great. Now, if your film sinks the first weekend its out, you'er lucky if you can catch it in the theaters the second week. Sunshine was just another victem of poor marketing and releasing. Too bad.

And for those that don't like Sci-Fi, I recomend it anyway, it's a great story, just from the human aspect of it.