Sometimes I could really scream when this happens.

6 months ago, maybe longer I see the trailer for "Sunshine", Boyle's Sci-Fi thriller.

Eye candy like you wouldn't believe assailed my senses.

Visually speaking, I knew I HAD to see it. ------> http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/sunshine/

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

Sunshine_poster.jpg

I think it was supposed to come out last March, then it was delayed (we're talking US here) until June, then finally delayed until September.

Now usually it's not a good sign when a film's release continues to be delayed (Windtalkers - Uhg).

But in this instance I didn't care. Sometimes you just know you have to see something when the trailer strikes a certain chord with ya.

So, me and Jim Daly are like fanatically awaiting the moment when we could see this thing unfold on the big screen. We were beside ourselves waiting for September to show up so we could see something interesting, not the usually crud that studios normally try and shove down our gobs.

Then . . . Last week, Daly sends me an email which reports that Sunshine will NOT be showing up in theaters in September, in fact, Sunshine ALREADY came and went in July!

For some reason (without any fanfare or any promotion) the studio decided to dump the film out on 10 screens (or something like that) in only a few major cities - Forget about the September thing. It played for one week on those limited screens and was yanked without even a whimper. And I wasn't any the wiser until now.

Now this is the kind of thing that really pisses me off. How will I ever get to see it on the big screen now? And believe me, this is a film you want to see on the big screen.

I was so angry about the whole thing that I "obtained" a copy of the film from a friend. Now that I wasn't going to be able to see it in all it's glory the right way I had to resort to seeing it any way I could.

I loved it.

People may have differing opinions but for me, it delivered on the hope I had for it.

Is it a masterpiece? Who's to say. But I CAN say this with certainty.

It took Sci Fi seriously and I didn't have to sit through formulaic one-liners, or any of the other "usual", forgettable material that inexplicably seems to inundate thrillers these days.

I think it was a bold vision by a bold director that got a massive shaft from the system that seems only to cater to the lowest common denominator.

How'd it get Green Lit? Someone must have believed in it. I'm still scratching my head. I KNOW there is an audience for this type of film. It may not have delivered big big bucks (50+ Million opening weekend) but I believe it could have been a modest success had there been ample promotion and a fair shake on the number of screens it hit.

Apparently someone believes that folks are happy enough with another sequel or remake.

Sorry bout the soap box, this stuff just drives me nuts.

- tb

Sometimes I could really scream when this happens.

6 months ago, maybe longer I see the trailer for "Sunshine", Boyle's Sci-Fi thriller.

Eye candy like you wouldn't believe assailed my senses.

Visually speaking, I knew I HAD to see it. ------> http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/sunshine/

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

Sunshine_poster.jpg

I think it was supposed to come out last March, then it was delayed (we're talking US here) until June, then finally delayed until September.

Now usually it's not a good sign when a film's release continues to be delayed (Windtalkers - Uhg).

But in this instance I didn't care. Sometimes you just know you have to see something when the trailer strikes a certain chord with ya.

So, me and Jim Daly are like fanatically awaiting the moment when we could see this thing unfold on the big screen. We were beside ourselves waiting for September to show up so we could see something interesting, not the usually crud that studios normally try and shove down our gobs.

Then . . . Last week, Daly sends me an email which reports that Sunshine will NOT be showing up in theaters in September, in fact, Sunshine ALREADY came and went in July!

For some reason (without any fanfare or any promotion) the studio decided to dump the film out on 10 screens (or something like that) in only a few major cities - Forget about the September thing. It played for one week on those limited screens and was yanked without even a whimper. And I wasn't any the wiser until now.

Now this is the kind of thing that really pisses me off. How will I ever get to see it on the big screen now? And believe me, this is a film you want to see on the big screen.

I was so angry about the whole thing that I "obtained" a copy of the film from a friend. Now that I wasn't going to be able to see it in all it's glory the right way I had to resort to seeing it any way I could.

I loved it.

People may have differing opinions but for me, it delivered on the hope I had for it.

Is it a masterpiece? Who's to say. But I CAN say this with certainty.

It took Sci Fi seriously and I didn't have to sit through formulaic one-liners, or any of the other "usual", forgettable material that inexplicably seems to inundate thrillers these days.

I think it was a bold vision by a bold director that got a massive shaft from the system that seems only to cater to the lowest common denominator.

How'd it get Green Lit? Someone must have believed in it. I'm still scratching my head. I KNOW there is an audience for this type of film. It may not have delivered big big bucks (50+ Million opening weekend) but I believe it could have been a modest success had there been ample promotion and a fair shake on the number of screens it hit.

Apparently someone believes that folks are happy enough with another sequel or remake.

Sorry bout the soap box, this stuff just drives me nuts.

- tb

Man, I know what you mean. That pissed me off so bad. I was counting the days also and then boom. Nothing! I mean Danny Boyle is a genius and this movie's trailer hooked me like a damn trout swimming calmly alon in a stream. I'm still eager to obtain the film but nothing yet. Same thing with Tom's film, Killshot. Ah, I want to see that movie so bad. You've got Tom, Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane, Joseph Gordon-Levitt (This guy is really good) and Rosario Dawson. Then nothing happens. Typical.

-JO

As for Killshot -

The studio decided that after playing to test audiences, they needed to rewrite some stuff and do some reshoots with Tom, Diane Lane, Mickey, etc . .

Which they did. Madden inserted the stuff and did necessary re-editing, then it screened in some places. The last word I heard from Tom was that they have decided to release it after the MIST comes out. I don't know of a specific date yet but we should have that information available here on the forum. And in the event that it won't go nationwide for whatever reasons, we'll be passing info for where it WILL be playing. But I do expect it will have a sizable release. It's Academy Award winner John Madden for F sakes.

- tb

As for Killshot -

The studio decided that after playing to test audiences, they needed to rewrite some stuff and do some reshoots with Tom, Diane Lane, Mickey, etc . .

Which they did. Madden inserted the stuff and did necessary re-editing, then it screened in some places. The last word I heard from Tom was that they have decided to release it after the MIST comes out. I don't know of a specific date yet but we should have that information available here on the forum. And in the event that it won't go nationwide for whatever reasons, we'll be passing info for where it WILL be playing. But I do expect it will have a sizable release. It's Academy Award winner John Madden for F sakes.

- tb

Thanks for the info, Tim. I appreciate it. As for The Mist, that movie looks pretty damn good. It was a great story and the director has already dabbled in King before so I don't think it'll be disappointing.

JO

From what Tom told me, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's part really shines in the re-edit.

I'm so glad I didn't make it to the set until the re-shoots.

Mickey was already gone and it was just Tom and Diane.

Can you imagine what it would have been like earlier in the shoot when Tom, Mickey, and Johnny Knoxville would hit the after hours joints?

Actually scratch that. I wish I HAD been around, even if I ended up in jail.

- tB

OK, we're already off topic ;)

But I'll take the heat for that.

Man, that would have been heavy. I've seen alot of Joe's work and he is really impressing the shit out of me. The guy just has it, that's all I can say. Kind of like a young Mickey, when Mickey was young and making movies like Rumble Fish, Angel Heart, 9 1/2 Weeks (Kim Basinger, WOW) and so on he was king. Since he's come back though he's changed alot but I think that he actually still has it. May not look the same but hell as far as I'm concerned he's the man. Must have been crazy on set and off, too.

I think jail would have been on the course, haha.

Have you heard any news about any other projects Danny Boyle is working on? I heard he might do 28 Months Later, set in Russia. The 1st one was really good, haven't seen the second yet but I heard he only did a little directing in that one.

JO

I'm pretty sure Boyle only produced 28 weeks.

He shares in the wealth as the creator and he likely gave spiritual guidance to the film, along with producing.

I doubt he'll be the one to direct another sequel.

If it happens it will be pretty much the same involvement as 28 weeks.

Boyle's next project is "Slumdog Millionaire".

IMDB reports it's in pre-production.

As for 28 Weeks Later -

I just recently got a look at it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

You can bet it's a strong rent.

- tB

Guest AdminGuyX

I had no idea any of this happened with Sunshine. WOW. I guess the studio can suck a duck. I'll just buy it from the UK.

As for Killshot, just saw a trailer the other day and can't wait to see it. I still think Mickey Rourke is fun to watch and hasn't lost his edge or acting chops. He just strikes me as the type of guy you can't trust with your car, and my Mom always told me to stay away from people you can't trust with your car.

know what I mean?

Sunshine was fucking amazing. I absolutely loved it. I dunno why the studios dick around with Boyle's films.

They fucked up the 28 Weeks Later release by putting it up against Spider-Man 3. I just watched 28 Weeks Later, and I loved it. It was so brutal... one of the best horror films I've ever watched, I kid you not.

No problems with Sunshine at all. I dragged 6 guys from the radio station I work for to the press screening. What really pissed me off, was that the MORON crowd watchin it - ran out of the theatre when it ended. As if they'd been dying to leave. The guy that reviews films for the Miami New Times was sittin next to me and was one of the few people that wasn't desperate to get the fuck out. This thing was artistic and I love the idea of a sci-fi flick reminding me of The Fountain. I watched The Fountain the first day it was out (same day as Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny). I was there for the first show, and there were only 5 people in the whole stadium seating auditorium. People don't know dick about movies Street. The crowd for Sunshine was there cause the thing was free. I do think it was a mistake to advertise it with Murphy on the poster on his own. The movie is clearly led by Murphy and Chris Evans. The Torch's mug on the poster woulda done alot for the 5 minutes this thing played in theatres. I know Boyle and Murphy are basically this generation's John Ford and John Wayne, but this was not a time to leave out the other prominent and more well-known actor in the film from the advertising. No-one in the theatre even knew Chris was in it. Plus the chicks LOVE the guy. Same thing happened with TJ in Punisher. They had to have a poster with Vincent Vega to bring those unacquainted with TJ to the film. Sunshine will have to shine on dvd Street.

-TL

chrisevansismacecv7.jpg

No problems with Sunshine at all. I dragged 6 guys from the radio station I work for to the press screening. What really pissed me off, was that the MORON crowd watchin it - ran out of the theatre when it ended. As if they'd been dying to leave. The guy that reviews films for the Miami New Times was sittin next to me and was one of the few people that wasn't desperate to get the fuck out. This thing was artistic and I love the idea of a sci-fi flick reminding me of The Fountain. I watched The Fountain the first day it was out (same day as Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny). I was there for the first show, and there were only 5 people in the whole stadium seating auditorium. People don't know dick about movies Street. The crowd for Sunshine was there cause the thing was free. I do think it was a mistake to advertise it with Murphy on the poster on his own. The movie is clearly led by Murphy and Chris Evans. The Torch's mug on the poster woulda done alot for the 5 minutes this thing played in theatres. I know Boyle and Murphy are basically this generation's John Ford and John Wayne, but this was not a time to leave out the other prominent and more well-known actor in the film from the advertising. No-one in the theatre even knew Chris was in it. Plus the chicks LOVE the guy. Same thing happened with TJ in Punisher. They had to have a poster with Vincent Vega to bring those unacquainted with TJ to the film. Sunshine will have to shine on dvd Street.

-TL

chrisevansismacecv7.jpg

I completely agree. I was pissed that The Fountain didn't get the recognition it deserved. It was a beautiful movie and I loved the story and f/x in it.

As for Sunshine, even if chicks dig Chris Evans, he is still a pretty good actor in my book not counting the cheesy Fantastic 4 movies, those should have been more hardcore instead of like a cartoon. You agree, TL?

-JO

I do think the way the F4 are being written is a great deal - kiddish. But I must say, that one of my favorite in-theatre experiences was sitting down waiting to watch Night At The Museum, and that teaser trailer for Rise of the Silver Surfer popped up - and hit me like a diamond bullet! He wiped his ASS with Johnny. That's exactly the way it should be. So I don't think the Surfer has been compromised. Its the F4 that need to get darker. How? Ya do what can only be done at this point: Kill someone.

-TL

I do think the way the F4 are being written is a great deal - kiddish. But I must say, that one of my favorite in-theatre experiences was sitting down waiting to watch Night At The Museum, and that teaser trailer for Rise of the Silver Surfer popped up - and hit me like a diamond bullet! He wiped his ASS with Johnny. That's exactly the way it should be. So I don't think the Surfer has been compromised. Its the F4 that need to get darker. How? Ya do what can only be done at this point: Kill someone.

-TL

EXACTLY. I think the F4 need to get serious. I mean the only thing they do is make poor Chris Evans walk around half naked all the time. WTF?

I know that kid is getting tired of it. I mean how many times does this guy have to do this?

But I agree with you 100%. They've got to get rough, raw, gritty, in your face. No more of this spider man shit where they go um, you're under arrest. Why??? Make 'em unlike the comic, do that at least. Go the Batman Begins route. Don't copy, create and be unique.

-JO

I woulda been cool with Alba biting the bullet at the end of Rise. Doom killin Sue = Awesome turn of events. Of course, that wasn't gonna happen. The film Gods as mentioned by Lexi Alexander, in my opinion are dicks. Example. A film called Punisher: Disaster Zone, being shot as we speak - which along with Dark Knight will have a deformed cockhead as a villain. 3 deformed fuckers in one year. Boy 2008 sounds like the dream year for Troy/McNamara.

-TL

Hey sorry Street about being off topic, but this here topic at hand is fuckin potent.

I woulda been cool with Alba biting the bullet at the end of Rise. Doom killin Sue = Awesome turn of events. Of course, that wasn't gonna happen. The film Gods as mentioned by Lexi Alexander, in my opinion are dicks. Example. A film called Punisher: Disaster Zone, being shot as we speak - which along with Dark Knight will have a deformed cockhead as a villain. 3 deformed fuckers in one year. Boy 2008 sounds like the dream year for Troy/McNamara.

-TL

Hey sorry Street about being off topic, but this here topic at hand is fuckin potent.

Dark Knight actually looks like it'll be pulled off pretty good. Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Heath Ledger. One hell of a cast. Heath actually does pretty good as the Joker I think. But that's just me.

No matter.

-JO

I got no quarrel with Dark Knight JO. I'm watchin it the moment it hits. Its the idea of LGF deliberately knowing that Aaron Eckhart and Heath would be playing deformed villains in it and still stickin Jigsaw in Disaster Zone that bothers me. Dominic West or Richard Burton, who gives a shit.

-TL

I got no quarrel with Dark Knight JO. I'm watchin it the moment it hits. Its the idea of LGF deliberately knowing that Aaron Eckhart and Heath would be playing deformed villains in it and still stickin Jigsaw in Disaster Zone that bothers me. Dominic West or Richard Burton, who gives a shit.

-TL

Yeah, I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought you didn't want to see the movie, I was just sayin' that it looked good. No problem.

Yeah, the whole Jigsaw thing still turns me off. I mean you have Aaron Eckhart, wonderful actor, etc. who is going to be deformed as Two Face then you have Jigsaw. WTF???

I mean c'mon. THINK. And Newman as Microchip still pisses me off. What the hell???

-JO

The ONLY REASONS I'll ever watch Disaster Zone:

-Microchip's real name is Newman - not Linus.

-Microchip pays his rent and DSL bill by workin for the post office.

-Several scenes of the film depict paper/rock/scissors competitions between Castle, Microchip and Kramer.

-Michael Richards appears in the film as Microchip's neighbor Kramer.

-Kramer lives across from a standup comic called Jerry Seinfeld (played by Kurt Sutter).

-Castle's love interest won't have sex with him cause she ran out of sponges.

-Somehow, Castle and Microchip decide to sell empty bottles to the distributor in Maryland to get cash for guns.

-The movie ends with Microchip defeating Jigsaw in a game of world domination.

I'm watching THAT ^ movie.

-TL

The ONLY REASONS I'll ever watch Disaster Zone:

-Microchip's real name is Newman - not Linus.

-Microchip pays his rent and DSL bill by workin for the post office.

-Several scenes of the film depict paper/rock/scissors competitions between Castle, Microchip and Kramer.

-Michael Richards appears in the film as Microchip's neighbor Kramer.

-Kramer lives across from a standup comic called Jerry Seinfeld (played by Kurt Sutter).

-Castle's love interest won't have sex with him cause she ran out of sponges.

-Somehow, Castle and Microchip decide to sell empty bottles to the distributor in Maryland to get cash for guns.

-The movie ends with Microchip defeating Jigsaw in a game of world domination.

I'm watching THAT ^ movie.

-TL

Haha, that would be hilarious to see. No kidding.

-JO

One more reason:

-The film opens with Castle in a coffee shop eating coffee cake with Microchip and Kramer (with a funny score that reminds me of a show)

Kramer: "I like that coat, is it for sale?"

Castle: "Maybe."

Kramer: "How much you want for it?"

Microchip: "Maybe its not how much but WHAT he wants for it..."

Kramer: "What do you want?"

(Castle looks at Microchip)

Castle: "How about the rest of that coffee cake?"

Kramer: "All of it!?"

Castle: "Yeah."

Microchip: "Tell him to throw in the coffee."

Castle: "Yeah. That's right, the coffee too."

Kramer: "Damn it! Alright ya got a deal."

(Castle takes off the coat and gives it to Kramer.)

Now that's a fuckin movie.

-TL

One more reason:

-The film opens with Castle in a coffee shop eating coffee cake with Microchip and Kramer (with a funny score that reminds me of a show)

Kramer: "I like that coat, is it for sale?"

Castle: "Maybe."

Kramer: "How much you want for it?"

Microchip: "Maybe its not how much but WHAT he wants for it..."

Kramer: "What do you want?"

(Castle looks at Microchip)

Castle: "How about the rest of that coffee cake?"

Kramer: "All of it!?"

Castle: "Yeah."

Microchip: "Tell him to throw in the coffee."

Castle: "Yeah. That's right, the coffee too."

Kramer: "Damn it! Alright ya got a deal."

(Castle takes off the coat and gives it to Kramer.)

Now that's a fuckin movie.

-TL

Haha, yeah. Priceless. I can see the look on Castle's face when he says, "How about the rest of that coffee cake?"

-JO

Yes, I apologize also. But back on subject, does anyone know when this comes out to DVD? I know Tim already has it, lucky bastard, but for most of the rest of us we're left with zilch.

-JO

Here are the specs: (region 2)

Audio commentary by Danny Boyle

Audio commentary by Dr. Brian Cox, The University of Manchester

Alternative ending with optional commentary

Deleted scenes

Web production diaries

Short films: -Dad's Dead Directed by Chris Shepherd

-Mole Hills Directed by Dan Arnold

-Theatrical trailers

sunshinedvdpt1.jpg

I love alternate endings. My favorite: X3, Wolverine returns to Alberta and gets a beer in the same pub he met Rogue in. It's really not alternate, more like just "left out". It makes perfect sense though, cause after Xavier's "death" why would he stay in the mansion? It really doesn't matter, next fall he's on his own...

-TL